Condex
14/02/2008, 5:07 PM
http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3146736,00.html

NeilMcD
14/02/2008, 5:10 PM
Confirmed on FAI website also.

cornerflag
14/02/2008, 5:19 PM
MARCO TARDELLI!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XOL8o-3TZ8&feature=related)

Delbertt
14/02/2008, 5:42 PM
Seems to have a better cv than most of the candidates that was in for the manager job

RiffRaff
14/02/2008, 5:45 PM
Would have liked it to be Gentile for purely sentimental reasons - probably the dirtiest win-at-all-costs defender i can remember. But Tardelli had the same mentality. For those who dont remember that Italian team - check some of the "tackles" in the this England v Italy game in the 70's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gRKEM_wRMI

Would love to see Ronaldo, Drogba or Henry play against these defenders!

popmart
14/02/2008, 5:54 PM
One of the best celebrations ever in 82. Its all very positive!:)

Marked Man
14/02/2008, 6:01 PM
Would have liked it to be Gentile for purely sentimental reasons - probably the dirtiest win-at-all-costs defender i can remember. But Tardelli had the same mentality. For those who dont remember that Italian team - check some of the "tackles" in the this England v Italy game in the 70's.

Lovely headed goal by Leo Sayer.

NeilMcD
14/02/2008, 6:05 PM
I would love if we qualified ahead of Italy

Naitch
14/02/2008, 6:09 PM
I really believe we can pick up 4 points from the two Italian games.

Ireland4ever
14/02/2008, 6:10 PM

Grand elbow by tardelli on keegan!

carloz
14/02/2008, 6:46 PM
Impressive CV and again gets me excited. As it says in his Wiki page

On 14th February 2008, Tardelli confimed that he will be on the Republic of Ireland national football team coaching staff when Giovanni Trapattoni takes over as manager in May. Tardelli is likely to act as Trapattoni's assistant. With Liam Brady soon to be appointed as another assistant, the holy trinity of football coaching will be complete

Loving the last line:o

kingdomkerry
14/02/2008, 6:53 PM
Anyone a link to his CV?

NeilMcD
14/02/2008, 6:58 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Tardelli

greendeiseboy
14/02/2008, 6:58 PM
this just keeps getting better and better......a far cry from the doldrums we were in ..cant wait for the campaign to get under way....can you just imagime how the team are feeling....all we need is to have as near a full strength squad for these games :)

beautifulrock
14/02/2008, 7:03 PM
Great news upon great news

Metrostars
14/02/2008, 7:12 PM
Impressive CV and again gets me excited. As it says in his Wiki page

Loving the last line:o

Ok... so which one of you added this:

On the day of the announcement of his joining the Republic of Ireland coaching team Irish bookies have slashed odds of Ireland winning the next world cup to evens.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Tardelli

kingdomkerry
14/02/2008, 7:17 PM
On 14th February 2008, Tardelli confimed that he will be on the Republic of Ireland national football team (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team) coaching staff when Giovanni Trapattoni (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_Trapattoni) takes over as manager in May. Tardelli is likely to act as Trapattoni's assistant. With Liam Brady soon to be appointed as another assistant, the holy trinity of football coaching will be complete. On the day of the announcement of his joining the Republic of Ireland coaching team Irish bookies have slashed odds of Ireland winning the next world cup to evens.

Winning the World Cup even money, Carlsberg dont do dreams.......................

carloz
14/02/2008, 7:23 PM
Going by that famous celebration alone, he might actually help instill a bit of pride in the players. So good to see a player have show raw adrenaline when he scores, unlike all those arrogant ****ers who pout nowadays when they score

shakermaker1982
14/02/2008, 7:39 PM
I think this can be classified as a world class coaching team. Now we just have to get the players......haha :)

Stuttgart88
14/02/2008, 8:34 PM
can you just imagime how the team are feeling....
peed off we didn't appoint Venables :)

boovidge
14/02/2008, 8:36 PM

Yeah i'd love to see more cheating too :rolleyes:

cornerflag
14/02/2008, 8:53 PM
....can you just imagime how the team are feeling

im hoping Keane is interviewed at the end of this spurs game on setanta. it will be obvious what he will say but im hoping the captaincy question is asked

EDIT: Bah they never did interviews after the game

DonO'Bate
14/02/2008, 9:31 PM

In my opinion the dirtiest win-at-all costs defender was and forever will be Dermot "Bite Your Legs" Keely with Gentile a distant second.

ofjames
14/02/2008, 11:14 PM
it will be interesting to know what exactly robbie keane makes of tardelli's appointment, seeing as he was the man who froze him out at Inter Milan, leading to his ultimate departure to Leeds

Superhoops
14/02/2008, 11:19 PM
peed off we didn't appoint Venables :)
everyone claiming the credit now! :D

Sligo Hornet
15/02/2008, 6:11 AM
I would love if we qualified ahead of Italy

I'd love it if we qualified ahead of ANYONE!;)

This is another fantastic appointment.......still can't believe we have these two world class, and hugely respected football "greats" working for US!

It certainly has put a spring in my step this week:)

Wolfie
15/02/2008, 8:06 AM
it will be interesting to know what exactly robbie keane makes of tardelli's appointment, seeing as he was the man who froze him out at Inter Milan, leading to his ultimate departure to Leeds

I'd imagine Keane will take it as an opportunity to prove a point.

Time has moved on and Keane is a far more established player and I'd say Tardelli would have no issue with him anyway. Its not as if we have 4 or 5 World Class Strikers to choose from.

amaccann
15/02/2008, 8:08 AM
Not a bad appointment. I take it this closes the door to Brady.

paul_oshea
15/02/2008, 9:30 AM
tardelli was fired though from two of his jobs...

NeilMcD
15/02/2008, 9:33 AM
No Brady was never going to be coming in as a full time assistant. Brady will be a coach who travels over for the matches etc.

Ozymandias
15/02/2008, 9:59 AM
ah jayssu where does this leave pat devlin.....every silver lining has a cloud

Delbertt
15/02/2008, 10:10 AM

Yeah he was fired by a few teams but thats why he's only our assitant and not manager;)

He won the U21 european championship with italy which ain't bad

tetsujin1979
15/02/2008, 10:47 AM
He was fired from 2 management positions, he's a coach here under Trapattoni.
Quite frankly I'm ready to give Trapattoni carte blanche to do whatever the fcuk he likes, simply because there's no way in hell I can justify any criticism of him. He had been there, done that and bought the t-shirt before I started watching football, never mind starting posting on internet forums!

NeilMcD
15/02/2008, 10:51 AM
Simple is that Tardelli is more qualified than Staunton Mc Donald andAlan Kelly put together, who made up our management team. I know Bobby Robson was sick most of the team. Also Tardelli s also more qualified than arguably Brian Kerr also.

tetsujin1979
15/02/2008, 11:12 AM
From http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1036800_sturridge_hopes_its_fifth_time_luckyhttp://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1036800_sturridge_hopes_its_fifth_time_lucky

Reports from Ireland have suggested that Cassell could be headhunted as a performance director as they seek to overhaul their youth structure after Giovanni Trapattoni agreed to become their head coach.

But Cassell said he had not yet received an approach.
To be honest, with the conveyor belt of players coming through the Academy system at Eastlands, I can't see Cassell leaving City, or them letting him leave

back of the net
15/02/2008, 12:35 PM
will interesting for keane with tardelli being the man who deemed him surplus to requirements at inter milan after lippis sacking

tetsujin1979
15/02/2008, 1:06 PM
will interesting for keane with tardelli being the man who deemed him surplus to requirements at inter milan after lippis sacking
This was discussed last night on off the ball, they made the point that very little of the buying and selling of players in Serie A is done with the approval of the manager, it's usually a "general manager" who handles that, and the manager coaches the team.

noby
15/02/2008, 1:15 PM
Plus, wasn't Keane just a teenager from Wolves then? No shame in not making it at Inter. A nothing story, me thinks.

Wolfie
15/02/2008, 1:19 PM
Plus, wasn't Keane just a teenager from Wolves then? No shame in not making it at Inter. A nothing story, me thinks.

A nothing story. It's a completely different set of circumstances to what transpired almost 10 years ago.

Drumcondra 69er
15/02/2008, 1:20 PM

He was a £13m signing from Coventry rather then a teenager from Wolves at the time. Relatively big signing.

Fair point also made about the manager not having the same input into transfers in Italy as elsewhere but I think the issue was the fact that Tardelli wouldn't play Keane while he was in charge. but that's football, I wouldn't expect KEane to be anything less then professional over this, Terry Venables wouldn't play him for Leeds either (prefering Nick fukkin Barmby) and flogged him to Spurs but Robbie said he wouldn't have any problem working for him had he got the job...

superfrank
15/02/2008, 2:17 PM
Fair point also made about the manager not having the same input into transfers in Italy as elsewhere but I think the issue was the fact that Tardelli wouldn't play Keane while he was in charge. but that's football, I wouldn't expect KEane to be anything less then professional over this, Terry Venables wouldn't play him for Leeds either (prefering Nick fukkin Barmby) and flogged him to Spurs but Robbie said he wouldn't have any problem working for him had he got the job...
Tardelli wasn't in charge of Inter when Robbie Keane actually joined. It was in fact Marcello Lippi who signed him. Lippi was sacked not long after and then Tardelli took over. Pity Keane didn't return to Inetr after his loan at Leeds because Tardelli was sacked again by the end of the 2000/2001 season.

Also, someone mentioned the fact that Tardelli was sacked well Trapattoni was also sacked not too long ago (pos. February 2006) when he was in charge of Stuttgart.

tetsujin1979
15/02/2008, 2:23 PM
Tardelli did actually play Keane in his first game in charge of Inter

Junior
15/02/2008, 2:35 PM
you could probably count on one had the amount of managers NOT sacked in professional football.....means nadda unless he is a serial sackee!!!

jmurphyc
15/02/2008, 2:39 PM
Massimo Moratti supposedly said that his biggest mistake was letting go of Robbie Keane. Perhaps he was the person who decided to let Keane leave?

superfrank
15/02/2008, 2:41 PM
Massimo Moratti supposedly said that his biggest mistake was letting go of Robbie Keane. Perhaps he was the person who decided to let Keane leave?
Tardelli was the one not picking him.

Drumcondra 69er
15/02/2008, 2:52 PM
Tardelli wasn't in charge of Inter when Robbie Keane actually joined. It was in fact Marcello Lippi who signed him. Lippi was sacked not long after and then Tardelli took over. Pity Keane didn't return to Inetr after his loan at Leeds because Tardelli was sacked again by the end of the 2000/2001 season.

Also, someone mentioned the fact that Tardelli was sacked well Trapattoni was also sacked not too long ago (pos. February 2006) when he was in charge of Stuttgart.

The Leeds deal was struck when Tardelli was still in charge, it was a loan till the end of the season that December with an option to buy at a set price which Leeds then exercised. The only way Keane could have stayed at Inter was had Leeds not taken up their option.....

jmurphyc
15/02/2008, 2:59 PM
Tardelli was the one not picking him.

I never said anything about who was picking him. I understand that Tardelli might not have rated Keane too highly, but it was mentioned earlier in the thread that managers in Italy don't always buy and sell players.

mattie
15/02/2008, 6:23 PM
Does Tardelli also start work on 1 May? It would be great if Trap had an assistant ready to start watchin games now.

stojkovic
15/02/2008, 11:32 PM
Tardelli had the pick of Ronaldo, Vieri and Recoba (who cost about 36million at the time) so it was always gonna be hard for a 20yo to play every week.

Lippi was sacked by Inter and went on to win the World Cup. Every manager gets sacked, didnt St. Mirren (?) sack Ferguson.

Blue Man
16/02/2008, 12:27 AM
Who cares who decided if Keane played or not at Inter. He's still the best striker we have and neither Trapattoni or Tardelli can overlook that