PDA

View Full Version : Goverment solves coke problem

anto1208
14/02/2008, 4:12 PM
Heard the new radio ads for coke ( well against its use really ) a great response from the government to a increasing problem. Put out an ad full of half truths & hysteria along with a stupid line “Face it the party is over” !!! that should solve it no need for rehab centres drug education or trying to fix any of the reasons people turn to drugs.

And great advice like Coke mixed with alcohol kills more people each year than alcohol or ecstasy …….. so don’t mix your coke ….or stick to the pills good advice !!!!! And it encourages people to go drinking in a country where alcoholism is a far larger problem than drugs.

Sounds like it was made by transition year students financed by the drinks industry !!!

jebus
15/02/2008, 8:41 AM
Are they still trying to push that law through where Gardai are allowed enter your house at free will to do random drug checks?

anto1208
15/02/2008, 9:02 AM
I’m almost sure that is all ready the case that they can enter a premises with out warrant if they suspect drugs to be inside a few garda mates have told me that. I’ve been at plenty of house parties where they have just walked in

But im not sure how true it is.

Same as they can stop you and search you which I think should be changed if you have ever been put through the humiliation and abuse suffered while being searched while not having done anything wrong you ll understand.

Block G Raptor
15/02/2008, 9:37 AM
Same as they can stop you and search you which I think should be changed if you have ever been put through the humiliation and abuse suffered while being searched while not having done anything wrong you ll understand.

Totally agree, it's almost as if being aged between 15-21 is a crime to some Gardai. Thank god i'm a bit older now and don't get stopped but it used to be a regular thing a few years ago, and for the record I have Never used illegal drugs

anto1208
15/02/2008, 9:52 AM
I got the ad wrong it isnt that it kills more then alcohol and pills its Herion and pills !!!! So kids stick to the smack and pills stay away from the beer !!!

GavinZac
15/02/2008, 10:04 AM
I got the ad wrong it isnt that it kills more then alcohol and pills its Herion and pills !!!! So kids stick to the smack and pills stay away from the beer !!!

There are 3 ads. One only mentions cocaine, the other mentions cocaine and alcohol, and the other, exclusive to dublin, mentions heroin.

jebus
15/02/2008, 10:12 AM
I’m almost sure that is all ready the case that they can enter a premises with out warrant if they suspect drugs to be inside a few garda mates have told me that. I’ve been at plenty of house parties where they have just walked in

Not sure it's been actually been changed yet. It used to be that someone at a party had to ask them in, that even if they barged in and there was some drug use then they couldn't do anything about it except go and get a warrant and come back (by then presumably the drugs would have been cleared out). I was at a house party a year ago where there was cocaine, ecstacy and hash in the house when a male and female garda knocked on the door and the male tried walking into the house only to be stopped by the houseowner and told to leave. The male garda tried to walk past him again, saying he had a right to search the house but the houseowner again refused him entry and the female garda was telling the male garda to come back out of the house (he had gotten a few steps in).

I haven't heard of it being actually changed, I heard talk about it in the media after Katy French died, but it wouldn't surprise me if Fianna Fail pushed it through as quietly as possible (realising the potential can of worms allowing gardai to enter any house at will opens), or if the gardai had just taken it upon themselves to break the law (they do it elsewhere, why not here?).

noby
15/02/2008, 10:18 AM
They're like vampires so; only effective if you invite them over the threshold.

anto1208
15/02/2008, 10:24 AM
it was the soundbite for that week all right that cops should be searching these house parties for drug taking or doing searches in ques for clubs.

Its such nonsence if some one was going to take 2 pills in a club and knew they would get searched they would just take both at the same time before they headed out making it far more dangerous.

jebus
15/02/2008, 10:28 AM
it was the soundbite for that week all right that cops should be searching these house parties for drug taking or doing searches in ques for clubs.

I was hoping that those morons who were advocating giving the gardai that right would get the law passed, and have their own house turned over by the gardai for no apparant reason in the coming weeks. I mean it's not as if the gardai need any further push to be power crazed *******s is it

kingdom hoop
15/02/2008, 2:44 PM
In my experience, once you reject entry to Gardaí then they can't/won't come in. We've had them to the door twice and both times just said "no ID, no entry." :D Nah well, whatever was said they didn't come in anyway. Maybe they just wanted an oul dance, never thought of asking them that!

On the ads, was glad to hear two of them earlier on Newstalk. In fairness, I think it'd be very hard to produce an effective ad. But what I found interesting was the targets of the ads. The two I heard seemed to target the very much casual, recreational user who, on their Friday night out after a feed of pints, may be tempted to slip over into the Darkside. I can't imagine the ads registering to the extent that person in such a carefree state of mind would remember what the ad said when they're about to crane their head and hoover. Though as a supermarket chain might say, every little helps!

I wonder if dealers see the campaign as great exposure for their products or as something of a threat to their livelihood?! If you'd never taken cocaine would you now be more tempted to do so, or is this the final confirmation that your ways are right? As in, does 'The Party's Over' make you sit up and think "sh1t, my party never even started, must set that right."