PDA

View Full Version : Trappatoni's first thing on "To Do" list?

Pages : [1] 2

Seagull-4-life
14/02/2008, 10:01 AM
For me it has to be sort Stephen Ireland out.
Obviously sort out coaches and that but he needs to get Irealand on board.

Block G Raptor
14/02/2008, 10:12 AM
No2 Get Finnan back

Ringo
14/02/2008, 10:13 AM
learn English

Rebel11
14/02/2008, 10:23 AM
1) Find the right Captain
2) Sort out the Stephen Ireland situation
3) Try bring Finnan back

Delbertt
14/02/2008, 10:25 AM
4) Try bring back O'brien

cavan_fan
14/02/2008, 10:26 AM
His first item should be do nothing. Dont pick a new captain or go rushing around trying to get players unretired.

He should watch our games and work out at a broad level given our players what sort of system to use. We have a very limited number of defenders, no obvious midfield enforcer (his old role) and a lot of wingers/playmakers. We have no obvious out and out goal poacher. He may decide that numbers in midfield are the answer but that tends to an idea of one up front (esp as I cant see us as a 3 at the back team). One up front means fast support from midfield and the risk of being swamped on the break. Does he think we have clever players or should we stick to what they know best.

Once he has a plan then think about how to fit specific players in. Although Ireland is a good player, I wonder if he is going to get many starts?

Seagull-4-life
14/02/2008, 10:41 AM
"no obvious midfield enforcer (his old role)"

lee carsley anyone? He was great last night v. Everton. He's no spring chicken but he'll be in the team

eirebhoy
14/02/2008, 10:43 AM
Once he has a plan then think about how to fit specific players in. Although Ireland is a good player, I wonder if he is going to get many starts?
I'd definitely say so.

citizenerased
14/02/2008, 10:49 AM
Make an appearance on the late late, with the cringworthy Talking jumper;;aka Pat kenny

Sort out Stevie Ireland

Revolk Robbie Keanes status as undroppable

Make Dunne Captain

Bring back Finnan.

Mould our defence into a stable and organised Unit.

WoodquayBoy
14/02/2008, 11:19 AM
Get better soon - the headline on the front of today's Star reads 'Il Gaffer', so I send him my best wishes . . . . . okay okay, I'm leaving

RivaldoBabb
14/02/2008, 11:24 AM
Most important thing for Trap is to get Finann back, Richard Dunne needs some help organising the rest of the keystone cops.

antrimgreen
14/02/2008, 11:25 AM
I get a great feeling of confidence from the Big Lad so his to do list for me would be what ever he wants to do end of.

willk1977
14/02/2008, 11:36 AM
By a subscription to Sky Sports and Setanta :D:D

cornerflag
14/02/2008, 11:39 AM
its not gonna be the first thing on his list but can you see him wanting to get a few games lined up during the euros? I know the players were pulling out left right and centre for stans american trip but its new beginnings for all so every player would want to be available.

tblade
14/02/2008, 11:41 AM
Agree with most of the above regarding Finan, Ireland and making Dunne captain. One guy who has been forgotten is Andy O'Brien. he obviously wouldn't be first choice, but we're not exactly overloaded with players. He's playing reasonably well at the moment for a premiership club so he'd certainly be worth a place on the panel. He shouldn't be written off just on the basis of his nightmare against Cyprus, when he was unfit and playing in the reserves.

Sligo Hornet
14/02/2008, 11:53 AM

Paying the Manager's wages should guarantee you a run out I agree!:D

OneRedArmy
14/02/2008, 12:09 PM
4) Try bring back O'brienI think you missed a few zeros.

Wolfie
14/02/2008, 12:21 PM
There may be a mafioso style "night of the long knives" where some of the dead wood are "taken care of" and outstanding problems become "no problems".

John O'Shea assures new manager he will not be retiring and is soon abducted, thrown in the boot of a car and finally found cemented under the foundations of an apartment block.

Andy Reid is recovered from inside a refrigerator - but nothing new there. He just fancies some grub and wasn't involved in the purge at all.

Steven Ireland returns immediately - mumbling incoherently about "visits" he got and a horses head in his bed.

Wangball
14/02/2008, 12:23 PM
Appoint a new Under 21's manager - Denis O'Brien said he'd be willing to syump up extra cash if it was needed to pay for additional staff - We should go out and hire someone with an established pedigree and proven track record, a name that springs to mind is Rainier Bonhof, he was Scotlands U21 manager not too long ago.....his tenure was the silver lining to the Vogts shaped cloud they experienced

half_full
14/02/2008, 12:24 PM
Attend LoI games.

tetsujin1979
14/02/2008, 12:24 PM
learn English
listen to his press conference.
he speaks English

paul_oshea
14/02/2008, 12:31 PM
Attend LoI games

Ya, cos the first 11 are going to come from there, all those teams beating their PL counterparts.

NeilMcD
14/02/2008, 12:34 PM
I would have nothing against him attending a few league of Ireland games. He could easily fly to Dublin on a Friday afternoon. Watch a LOI game and have a meeting with Delaney etc, he can stay in my gaff if he likes and we can go for a few pints in the bar in Bohs if he wants. Then Saturday morning he can head over to England and see maybe two games and on Sunday see 1 game. Then head back to Italy to be with his family and watch tapes of the other games he did not see etc.

half_full
14/02/2008, 12:34 PM
Exactly, plenty of talent in the league.

Dr. Ogba
14/02/2008, 12:49 PM
1) sack Don Givens as u21 boss

that is all....

sullanefc
14/02/2008, 1:02 PM

that is all....

Sack the man who hired him? :eek: Do you honestly see this happening?

Dr. Ogba
14/02/2008, 1:05 PM
Sack the man who hired him? :eek: Do you honestly see this happening?

not really but there might be a good chance that he'll be offered an "upstairs" role by the FAI so that he won't have a direct involvement in ruining the future generations of Irish football...

sullanefc
14/02/2008, 1:12 PM
not really but there might be a good chance that he'll be offered an "upstairs" role by the FAI so that he won't have a direct involvement in ruining the future generations of Irish football...

That would be the only way I could see it happening. Fingers crossed.

gufcfan
14/02/2008, 1:52 PM

that is all....

Givens is a clown.

He did not have Ireland's best interest at heart while managing the team imo.

I also believe his management of the U-21 team is damaging Irish soccer...

Bondvillain
14/02/2008, 2:03 PM
Oh Dear.

Has anyone read The Star?

They seem to have taken the "celebratory" route, and neglected to do any journalism...

Witness "50 reasons why Trap is our man" (Which includes such gems as "He was born in a foreign country, just Like Barnlsey man Mick McCarthy" and "Age is not on his side". Why the latter would be a reason why he's "our man", only the Star in it's infinite wisdom can confirm)

Also "tickling" the "Funny bone" are randomly dotted "Trap Facts", which presumably are to give us more information on our new manager.

The most prominent fact on Trapattoni is "Did you know that Joe Dolce, singer of the 80's Number 1 "Shaddapa you face" was not actually Italian, but Australian?"

I for one, after digesting said information, now feel closer in spirit to the new gaffer, and sincerely thank the Star for literally, the seconds of effort they seem to have put in.

First thing on Traps to-do list? A long hard look at press accreditation...

danonion
14/02/2008, 2:19 PM
Bring Kiely and Holland back :D

finnpark
14/02/2008, 2:22 PM
I would have nothing against him attending a few league of Ireland games. He could easily fly to Dublin on a Friday afternoon. Watch a LOI game and have a meeting with Delaney etc, he can stay in my gaff if he likes and we can go for a few pints in the bar in Bohs if he wants. Then Saturday morning he can head over to England and see maybe two games and on Sunday see 1 game. Then head back to Italy to be with his family and watch tapes of the other games he did not see etc.

Once he sees Gethins in action he will know he made the right decision in accepting the job ;)

BTW, Holmes is not available as he is a senior Northern Ieland international.

NeilMcD
14/02/2008, 2:25 PM
I did not mention Holmes.

BradyIsMyHero
14/02/2008, 2:47 PM
Get an interpreter for Steven Hunt

tetsujin1979
14/02/2008, 2:54 PM
Has anyone read The Star?

They seem to have taken the "celebratory" route, and neglected to do any journalism...

If you're expecting journalism from The Star, you've got bigger problems ;)

Emmet
14/02/2008, 6:17 PM
He should ask Stephen Ireland if he wants to be included in the next squad - if Ireland says no then that should be the end of it. This is his country ffs and he should not need to be "talked into" representing his country. It's an honour and a privilige - if he doesn't want it there are plenty others who do. Jack Charlton dealt with David O'Leary in a similar way after O'Leary didn't want to play in some friendly matches and it didn't do anyone any harm then!

Dunne should be captain and I completely agree with the comment that Robbie Keane should no longer be an automatic selection!

NeilMcD
14/02/2008, 6:22 PM
He should ask Stephen Ireland if he wants to be included in the next squad - if Ireland says no then that should be the end of it. This is his country ffs and he should not need to be "talked into" representing his country. It's an honour and a privilige - if he doesn't want it there are plenty others who do. Jack Charlton dealt with David O'Leary in a similar way after O'Leary didn't want to play in some friendly matches and it didn't do anyone any harm then!

Dunne should be captain and I completely agree with the comment that Robbie Keane should no longer be an automatic selection!

It would be unfair to compare the O Leary situation with the Stephen Ireland situation. O Leary wanted to play for us.

Emmet
14/02/2008, 6:41 PM
O'Leary was definitely made an example of alright but it did send a message to the others which set the right sort of tone. I think managers need to be seen to be strong and spending too much time talking Ireland into coming back won't do that.

Wangball
14/02/2008, 6:43 PM
Remember reading the "Boys a bit Special" section of FourFourTwo when Stephen Ireland was featured, the last question is always "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" & Ireland said he'd be playing for Citys 1st team and also International football but he wasn't sure who for...he apparently qualifies for Ireland, England & Italy so maybe he speaks some of the lingo himself & Trap can bring him back as a translator and all!

NeilMcD
14/02/2008, 6:44 PM
Knowing Ireland he probably does not qualify for Italy but is just a bit crazy.

tetsujin1979
14/02/2008, 7:16 PM
Knowing Ireland he probably does not qualify for Italy but is just a bit crazy.
Think I heard the same thing a few times, and I read the same article in FourFourTwo.

NeilMcD
14/02/2008, 7:46 PM
It would be funny if it was one of his grannies.

Metrostars
14/02/2008, 8:05 PM
It would be funny if it was one of his grannies.

Which one? The dead one? Oh wait...

HarpoJoyce
14/02/2008, 8:29 PM
Trappatoni's first thing on "To Do" list?

I think alot of fans will want to learn to spell his name right.

http://www.soccerquotes.info/quotes/giovannitrapattoni

Don't worry Seagull you may have typed that in a hurry, but plenty of fans are still posting, (in flame wars) incorrectly.
Unless like many migrant workers he may alter it, to ease the hosts understanding of his name.

peterc1992
14/02/2008, 8:39 PM

O'Brien's a Useless c**t......
1. Sort out captain(richard Dunne)?
2. Get Finnan back

cavan_fan
14/02/2008, 9:10 PM

Register on foot.ie, then he wont need any expensive scouts!

Greenforever
14/02/2008, 9:52 PM
Arrange an informal get together of all players from the senior and u21 squads and have a couple of glasses of wine :D, seriously though a series of informal gettogethers over the next month should lead to a huge increase in morale.

This would also sort out issues such as SI and other recently retired players and could be done quietly and away from the media.

Superhoops
14/02/2008, 11:21 PM
Persuade John O'Shea to stay in Manchester when Ireland has a game.

Delbertt
15/02/2008, 12:12 AM
Forgot about Mick Byrne? Ahh sure we might aswell get him back for the craic:D

kingdom hoop
15/02/2008, 1:07 AM
Learn Amhrán na bhFiann! :p

Seriously though, I think the May caucus is very important so we hit the ground running in August/September. To that end, I think the 30-odd players who'll figure over the course of the campaign should gather to discuss the world-domination strategy. To assist in picking what brave soldiers will be deployed is where, I reckon, Brady comes into things. So yeah, getting somebody with a good knowledge of Irish players is probably his foremost concern at present.