PDA

View Full Version : Trapatonni and the Eircom League

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

finnpark
14/02/2008, 12:10 AM
The current International selection options are running small especially in defense. Does anyone think that some LOI players are better than current Irish Internationals such as Wayne Henherson, Joe Murphy, Paul McShane, Liam Miller, Joey O'Brien etc.

Personally I think Bohs' keeper Murphy should be in there, in fact I think that there are 2-3 goalkeepers in the eircom league better than current options at International level

Perhaps Graham Gartland in defence and Shane Robinson at right midfield. These players can perform so why not?

A face
14/02/2008, 12:22 AM
Not a chance, he probably wont ever be in the country except for home games. All his work will be in England. Don't anyone get their hopes up here at all, don't even dream of it. There wont be a Jason Byrne or Joe Gamble while he is in charge. We may as well get used to it.

niallsparky
14/02/2008, 12:30 AM
He was quoted recently as saying something along the lines of "a lot of Ireland players play in England why? Why not Ireland?"

Not sure what you can read into that though...

sullanefc
14/02/2008, 12:49 AM
Well goalkeeper is definitely a position where I feel the eL is stronger than UK bar Shay Given. I can't see too many other positions on the team though. Joe Gamble is as close there is to an international outfield player in the eL IMO.

finnpark
14/02/2008, 12:58 AM
He was quoted recently as saying something along the lines of "a lot of Ireland players play in England why? Why not Ireland?"

He was referring to qualifying. Why can't Ireland qualify as most of their players play in England. That is what he was trying to say

sullanefc
14/02/2008, 1:15 AM
He was referring to qualifying. Why can't Ireland qualify as most of their players play in England. That is what he was trying to say

I would take that interpretation too.

Poor Student
14/02/2008, 7:54 AM

I think he said England feel they can qualify, Ireland's players play in England so why can't we feel we can qualify.

jebus
14/02/2008, 8:12 AM
Well goalkeeper is definitely a position where I feel the eL is stronger than UK bar Shay Given.

Who? Which EL keepers are better than say Paddy Kenny or Colin Doyle even? Keep in mind that decent keepers are in short enough supply in the Premier and Championship, so obviously their scouts haven't thought much of eL keepers, and please leave the Eircom League tubthumping at the door

WoodquayBoy
14/02/2008, 8:29 AM
Who? Which EL keepers are better than say Paddy Kenny or Colin Doyle even? Keep in mind that decent keepers are in short enough supply in the Premier and Championship, so obviously their scouts haven't thought much of eL keepers, and please leave the Eircom League tubthumping at the door

God forgive me but I agree with Jebus, Doyle and Kenny far superior to 'the' quality LOI keepers, the two Murphys

finnpark
14/02/2008, 8:43 AM
God forgive me but I agree with Jebus, Doyle and Kenny far superior to 'the' quality LOI keepers, the two Murphys

I don't agree. Doyle was making blooper after blooper before being dropped and Kenny is retired from International football as far as I know.

Block G Raptor
14/02/2008, 8:47 AM

You mis-interpreted that(not that hard I know)

what he actually said was "a lot of Ireland players play in England, England think they can win why not Ireland?"

McShels
14/02/2008, 10:32 AM
Lads we dont know what set up Trappatoni will have, what if for arguments sake Bradys role was to watch players in the EL and those playing in england who maybe knocking on the door of a call up to the senior squad or he may look for someone within the EL to look at players who may make the step up to international football.

Its far too early to be speculating on this issue

DmanDmythDledge
14/02/2008, 10:46 AM
Doyle couldn't get his game ahead of Quigley for the U21s and he isn't the best keeper in the eircom League.

Steve Bruce
14/02/2008, 10:50 AM
When I seen Trappatonni took the Ireland job, I had a few thoughts

1) Great acquisition from FAI, Big name coach.
2) Where is the money coming from(which I now know)
3) That is the end of Eircom League players breaking into the international side. Well at least it’ll be a hell of a lot harder

There are many talented players in the LOI, but the overall standard of the LOI is well below international standards. This isn’t me knocking LOI, I am just saying it as I see it.

For any player in the LOI to make the step up to International level, is a big ask. Whilst their might be some players good enough in ability, they need to be playing in the higher reaches of English football or equivalent so they can get used to the quicker pace (both physically and mentally), playing with players of greater ability etc.

It is very very unlikely Traps is going to watch LOI footballers because inspite of recent strides forward being made by the LOI, the league is still seen as a minor, insignificant low standard league, in world terms. Hell even on this island the Irish League and the LOI are seen as minor, insignificant low standard leagues and whilst people who go to the games know different, that the standard is decent. The perceived standard of the leagues is very poor. Anyway, getting off topic a bit.

I just think for LOI players, this is a kick in the klinkers for them as they will surely think that the only way to break into the international team is by plying their trade across the water.

jebus
14/02/2008, 10:50 AM
I don't agree. Doyle was making blooper after blooper before being dropped and Kenny is retired from International football as far as I know.

Doyle was making blooper after blooper (after having a fine spell before that I might add) in a vastly superior league, with vastly superior players. Is Kenny fully retired? In either case they were just names picked from a hat, Graham Stack for example would be a superstar in this league and would be above the standard of any eL keeper

Schumi
14/02/2008, 10:51 AM
Does anyone think that some LOI players are better than current Irish Internationals such as Wayne Henherson, Joe Murphy, Paul McShane, Liam Miller, Joey O'Brien etc.Not really tbh. None of those players are anything special but they're still better than the EL equivalents. Maybe Murphy from Bohs might have a shot at the third keeper place in a 23 man squad but that's the height of it really.

back of the net
14/02/2008, 11:47 AM
The current International selection options are running small especially in defense. Does anyone think that some LOI players are better than current Irish Internationals such as Wayne Henherson, Joe Murphy, Paul McShane, Liam Miller, Joey O'Brien etc.

Personally I think Bohs' keeper Murphy should be in there, in fact I think that there are 2-3 goalkeepers in the eircom league better than current options at International level

Perhaps Graham Gartland in defence and Shane Robinson at right midfield. These players can perform so why not?

get a grip - all his work and squads will be with english based players - he said yday in his press conference of his huge respect for the premiership

The EL will not get a look in under his reign

sullanefc
14/02/2008, 12:03 PM

Murphy & Quigley. Doyle is rubbish. And did you see Paddy Kenny in Cyprus??:D

half_full
14/02/2008, 12:17 PM
Not a chance unfortunatley, but there are plenty of LoI players up to the standard.

Wangball
14/02/2008, 12:17 PM
Am I correct in saying that Quigley & Murphy both had a craic at the "big time" in England and came back???

Stack, Doyle, Kenny, Supple, Randolph, Henderson, Joe Murphy - all of these lads are better keepers than whats knocking about the EL right now

half_full
14/02/2008, 12:22 PM
Am I correct in saying that Quigley & Murphy both had a craic at the "big time" in England and came back???

Stack, Doyle, Kenny, Supple, Randolph, Henderson, Joe Murphy - all of these lads are better keepers than whats knocking about the EL right now

I would only rate Kenny as better than any of the better LoI keepers.

Murphy at Bohs, Devine at Cork, Conner at Drogheda and of course the best keeper in the league Barry Murphy. Don't forget the likes of Delaney and Barry Ryan either.

jebus
14/02/2008, 12:24 PM
Not a chance unfortunatley, but there are plenty of LoI players up to the standard.

Like who? And I want names a plenty. I'm going to ignore the Corkie's remarks based on the assumption that he clearly hasn't a clue. Murphy would be torn to shreds in the Championship for example, Kenny is actually very good at that level

half_full
14/02/2008, 12:33 PM
Bohs:
Jason Byrne

Cork:
Devine
Gamble
O'Callaghan
Mooney
Behan

Drogheda:
Gartland
Shelly
Stuart Byrne
Cahill
Robinson
Zayed

St. Pat's
Quigley

All, plus more, should be at least considered.

jebus
14/02/2008, 12:37 PM
Bohs:
Jason Byrne

Cork:
Devine
Gamble
O'Callaghan
Mooney
Behan

Drogheda:
Gartland
Shelly
Stuart Byrne
Cahill
Robinson
Zayed

St. Pat's
Quigley

For the Irish team? Not a chance. To be given a shot at a lower Championship side? Maybe Gartland, Zayed, Quigley and Gamble, the rest would flop as badly as Georgie and Jason Byrne did

half_full
14/02/2008, 12:39 PM
Didnt say they would be the starting XI:rolleyes: just that they (and more like them) should be considered.

McShels
14/02/2008, 12:40 PM
Bohs:
Jason Byrne

Cork:
Devine
Gamble
O'Callaghan
Mooney
Behan

Drogheda:
Gartland
Shelly
Stuart Byrne
Cahill
Robinson
Zayed

St. Pat's
Quigley

Devine doesn't qualify to play for Ireland!!!!!!
If we are hoping to get EL players onto the international squad it is to the younger players we have to look oh yea and Behan is muck.... :D:D

jebus
14/02/2008, 12:45 PM
Didnt say they would be the starting XI:rolleyes: just that they (and more like them) should be considered.

Shouldn't even be considered in my opinion. The overall standard of the league is roughly that of lower League One, probably League Two, maybe even Blue Premier, but I'm in a good mood today so I'll say lower League One to higher League Two. You wouldn't want any Irish Shrewsbury, MK Dons, etc. players being called up or considered for the squad, or at least you shouldn't, so I don't see why an exeption should be made just because they play in Ireland

DmanDmythDledge
14/02/2008, 12:50 PM

No. Quigley went over as a 16 year old, broke his arm almost as soon as he went over and was then released.

Quigley has been ahead of Doyle, Randolph and Supple in the U21 pecking order over the past few years.

pineapple stu
14/02/2008, 12:58 PM
Quigley was on trial at a couple of British clubs last year (Stockport and Falkirk) and didn't sign. So Wangball is perfectly correct. Murphy was with Swansea and as far as I know wasn't getting a look in when he decided to come home, but I'll stand corrected if needs be.

WoodquayBoy
14/02/2008, 1:00 PM
Forgot abourt Quigley, fine keeper but still wouldn't have him in the Irish squad. And ignoring the eligibility issue, to suggest Devine is one of the top keepers in the league is a joke surely???

half_full
14/02/2008, 1:03 PM
No I wouldn't consider Devine good enough (a few years ago he was), but would consider him better than any League1/lower championship keeper.

half_full
14/02/2008, 1:04 PM
Shouldn't even be considered in my opinion. The overall standard of the league is roughly that of lower League One, probably League Two, maybe even Blue Premier, but I'm in a good mood today so I'll say lower League One to higher League Two. You wouldn't want any Irish Shrewsbury, MK Dons, etc. players being called up or considered for the squad, or at least you shouldn't, so I don't see why an exeption should be made just because they play in Ireland

Maybe thats L37 standard but its not the standard of the top clubs. Cork, Drogheda etc. would easily hold their own in the Championship.

pineapple stu
14/02/2008, 1:04 PM
Oh God, not this again. :rolleyes:

osarusan
14/02/2008, 1:08 PM
Oh God, not this again. :rolleyes:
My thoughts exactly.

These players aren't being ignored because of some systematic attempt to annoy eL fans, they aren't picked because they're not good enough.

NeilMcD
14/02/2008, 1:20 PM
I largely agree with you there lads but I think in relation to Murphy at Bohs especially I honestly think he should have or should be in an Ireland squad.

sullanefc
14/02/2008, 1:25 PM
Devine doesn't qualify to play for Ireland!!!!!!

um? Devine is from Cork? How does he not qualify?

No I wouldn't consider Devine good enough (a few years ago he was), but would consider him better than any League1/lower championship keeper.
Devine's star is certainly on the wane. Even city fans would admit to that, and I think he has missed his chance.

But Quigley and Murphy are fine keepers and anyone who rates Kenny and Doyle ahead of them clearly hasn't a clue.

jebus
14/02/2008, 1:39 PM
Maybe thats L37 standard but its not the standard of the top clubs. Cork, Drogheda etc. would easily hold their own in the Championship.

easily hold their own? Are you joking? You think Cork, Drogheda etc. are better than Sheffield Utd, Sheffield Wednesday and QPR to name but a few teams struggling in this year's Championship. How do you think they would last with their pathetic (by comparison) attendences and wage structure?

No disrespect to UCD on this, but I think they'd struggle to stay afloat in the Blue Square North/South, and yet are comfortably one of the Irish Premier's mainstays. Limerick 37 wouldn't even be at that level, nevermind Blue Premier

Steve Bruce
14/02/2008, 1:42 PM
I agree totally with Jebus

Wangball
14/02/2008, 1:46 PM
Does anyone really believe that there is 1 current LOI player who will have a role to play in our qualification for the World Cup??

The inclusion on an EL player in the squad now would just be a case of tokenism & nobody wants that

half_full
14/02/2008, 1:56 PM
easily hold their own? Are you joking? You think Cork, Drogheda etc. are better than Sheffield Utd, Sheffield Wednesday and QPR to name but a few teams struggling in this year's Championship. How do you think they would last with their pathetic (by comparison) attendences and wage structure?

No disrespect to UCD on this, but I think they'd struggle to stay afloat in the Blue Square North/South, and yet are comfortably one of the Irish Premier's mainstays. Limerick 37 wouldn't even be at that level, nevermind Blue Premier

I think that Cork and Drogheda would hold their own in the Championship.
St. Pat's, Bohs, Rovers, Sligo, Derry would all be league of League 1 standard.

Does anyone really believe that there is 1 current LOI player who will have a role to play in our qualification for the World Cup??

The inclusion on an EL player in the squad now would just be a case of tokenism & nobody wants that

No it wouldn't, and if you believe that then I really do feel sorry for you. It's probably a fair reflection of how the Ole Ole bunch see the league though.

finnpark
14/02/2008, 2:26 PM
Quigley was on trial at a couple of British clubs last year (Stockport and Falkirk) and didn't sign. So Wangball is perfectly correct. Murphy was with Swansea and as far as I know wasn't getting a look in when he decided to come home, but I'll stand corrected if needs be.

Quigley is the sub Derry City keeper. Okay he may be better than Colin Doyle but that doesn't mean hes great

finnpark
14/02/2008, 2:28 PM
I agree totally with Jebus

Your from Northern Ireland, what would you know about football. :D Stick to the cricket

jebus
14/02/2008, 2:30 PM
I think that Cork and Drogheda would hold their own in the Championship.
St. Pat's, Bohs, Rovers, Sligo, Derry would all be league of League 1 standard.

In reverse of your comment to Wangball I ask if you really believe that, and if you do then that's probably a fair reflection on why the Ole Ole crowd think this league and it's supporters are laughable

jebus
14/02/2008, 2:44 PM
A bit rich of a Limerick fan to call the likes of us and drogs pathetic - you lot can't even average 1000 in a season. Imo city won't last in the championship but will be well capable of mid table in league 1.

oh and Wangball this section is for real football fans not people who think they're Celtic fans so go away

A Corkie misses the point completely because of his blind rage/stupidity, what a turn up for the books eh? Go back and read over my posts please before posting again, and I mean read them, don't let that red mist descend when you read the part where I don't worship Cork City

Cymro
14/02/2008, 2:47 PM
Just for the record (and I've said this before I think) Brian Murphy was with us for four-five years and didn't get much of a game except the odd run out in the FAW Premier Cup and the odd run of a few games in the league. Make what you will of that.

NeilMcD
14/02/2008, 2:48 PM
Stephen Hunt did **** all at many clubs but look at him now.

joeSoap
14/02/2008, 2:51 PM
George O'Callaghan's recent retirement form International football has no doubt relieved Trappatoni of one selection headache.....

Mr A
14/02/2008, 2:59 PM

Spot on.

WoodquayBoy
14/02/2008, 2:59 PM
In reverse of your comment to Wangball I ask if you really believe that, and if you do then that's probably a fair reflection on why the Ole Ole crowd think this league and it's supporters are laughable

Ditto . . . you are starting to scre me now, could this be the first stone being built in a bridge between GU and L37 fans? No, me either. Still though, standing right beside you on this issue

jebus
14/02/2008, 3:03 PM
i have read all your posts and I'm not angry i just have a different opinion to you on the league and how it compares to engllish leagues

So from me saying that Cork and Drogs wouldn't be able to compete in the Championship because of their pathetic (in comparison) wage budgets and attendence you pulled this out of your moral outrage hat

A bit rich of a Limerick fan to call the likes of us and drogs pathetic - you lot can't even average 1000 in a season. Imo city won't last in the championship but will be well capable of mid table in league 1.

despite me saying that Limerick wouldn't be able to compete in the Blue Square North. Must be great seeing things through Cork tinted glasses.

EDIT: Sorry for the edit, but forgot to add that when you have the likes of Wednesday averaging 26,000 a week and they still struggle, a club getting 4-5,000 couldn't possibly survive for very long, it's simple economics