PDA

View Full Version : New Players

Pages : [1] 2

Con-Con
12/02/2008, 8:12 PM
I missed the game last Friday so I haven't seen the new guys in action. Could someone give me a quick summery on the players? You can talk about the players and where they fit in to the team in this thread too.

Since this thread turned out to be the biggest fail ever! I thhought I might change it and maybe get some replys:o. Everyone say who they think the best signing could be.

I haven't seen any of them play yet but by the sound of things O'Shea sounds like a great signing, with him and O'Brian down the wings we should get much more goals.

Claret Murph
14/02/2008, 12:26 PM
;)
Since this thread turned out to be the biggest fail ever! I thhought I might change it and maybe get some replys:o. Everyone say who they think the best signing could be.

I haven't seen any of them play yet but by the sound of things O'Shea sounds like a great signing, with him and O'Brian down the wings we should get much more goals.

Errrrrrrr you could be right there Con Con ;)

Tribalhooie
14/02/2008, 4:24 PM
I think the best signing we made would also be J O'Shea. But I think that Deegan will have a big part in the season. He seemed very good against athlone and was always tracking back and is full of energy.

Paddyfield
14/02/2008, 6:46 PM
Leech looked pacey enough.

I wasn't too sure the identity of some the new lads - GUFC should introduce squad numbers with players' names.

Terry-Lander
14/02/2008, 6:56 PM
Any idea who was wearing number 4 in game against Athlone. I heard he was from Uruguay and was on trial but thanks to the miracle that is the Terryland P.A. i didnt get his name. He looked pretty useful imo.

Tir Oilean
14/02/2008, 7:58 PM
His name was Heirara Hamilton, 32, and he got injured I think so dont think he'll be signing straight away! Dont think he impressed much either. As regards squad no.s Paddyfield wasnt it pointed out elsewhere that we didnt have enough jersies to go around on Friday against Ahhlone, never mind giving every player his own squad number!!

WoodquayBoy
15/02/2008, 8:46 AM
There is a bit in today's City Tribune, Hamilton has a sprained ankle and his trial has ended and he won't be signing. More worrying is the news that Alan Keane is out until maybe the Drogheda match in April after having an operation on his knee

corbyeire
15/02/2008, 8:49 AM
thats bad news - didnt realise it was more than a knock for keane

gufct
15/02/2008, 10:11 AM
This has been posted allover both sites for the last fortnight.Alan had his Op last tuesday and he will be back in 4/6 weeks max. The injury could go back to when he broke his leg and he aggravated it in training kicking in a ball to be collected.

corbyeire
15/02/2008, 1:57 PM
This has been posted allover both sites for the last fortnight

:confused:

WoodquayBoy
15/02/2008, 5:57 PM
I didn't see anything on any other site about Alan undergoing surgery or about Hamilton's trial coming to an end, so if you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it, and I apologise for wasting people's time by posting that news on this forum

gufct
15/02/2008, 6:34 PM
its not on the offy site its on Vinnys site and Alan was telling anyone who asked him at the game last Friday.

WoodquayBoy
15/02/2008, 6:40 PM
This has been posted allover both sites for the last fortnight.

its not on the offy site its on Vinnys site and Alan was telling anyone who asked him at the game last Friday.

So first it was on 2 websites, which is then reduced to one, and one that I don't visit. It is not on the official site, wasn't on this site, I wasn't at the match and if I was, who is to say I would have been speaking to Alan or any other player. Now, do you still have a problem with me posting the news here?
What the hell is your problem?????????????????
Consider yourself added to my 'ignore' list you prat

gufct
15/02/2008, 6:46 PM
if you checked on a few of the posts here check the starting XI for one you would see it mentioned as well but then again why should i be worried . THe only thing thats killing me is im actually missing tonights game because of a wedding.

Soccer Agent
17/02/2008, 9:17 PM
Hamilton Herrera, 31 years old. Uruguayan. Played in Copa Liberatdores winners Olimpia Paraguay and Peñarol Uruguay, it was also champion of South American recopa (UEFA) , 9 caps for the Uruguayan National team (14 times South American Nation Champions) , Also played for Olimpia in USA and in the Uruguayan national team in ASIA where they were champions. And he was voted one of the 2 best players in the National Team then. Hamilton Herrera got injured right at the begging of the match and played in one leg the whole first half, he couldnt played the second half. Unfortunatelly he s in his way to Uruguay to reconsider some offers that he has in South America.......A real pity....

dahamsta
17/02/2008, 9:59 PM
Do you represent Hamilton Herrera Soccer Agent?

Soccer Agent
17/02/2008, 11:35 PM
no, he s my best friend brother in law

MyTown
19/02/2008, 3:08 PM
Wrong Thread because this post is to do with an old player...or at least, a former player.

One of the close season transfer threads is reporting Alan Murphy as being a Shamrock Rovers recruit.

Best of luck Alan. Thanks for your years of great service to Galway United.

forza rovers
19/02/2008, 5:25 PM
Wrong Thread because this post is to do with an old player...or at least, a former player.

One of the close season transfer threads is reporting Alan Murphy as being a Shamrock Rovers recruit.

Best of luck Alan. Thanks for your years of great service to Galway United.
its new players:D

eamo1
27/02/2008, 6:15 PM
according to this thread http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=76049&page=20 o.halloran has gone on loan to shels,thats a big surprise.we will need him.

gufct
27/02/2008, 6:18 PM
I think it maybe for the best as Posters on the gufcnet forum have it in for him big time .

eamo1
27/02/2008, 6:25 PM
posters on a forum do not dictate a clubs transfer policy.i think its a mistake,he gets it down and passes it well,wer gonna miss him.

gufct
27/02/2008, 6:35 PM
There are plenty of midfielders and another one to be announced on Friday with new sponsorship deals.

Gaillimh Al
27/02/2008, 6:38 PM
I think he may have become persona non grata since the training ground incident which left one of the younger members of the squad with a nasty injury. Plus he was always hankering after a move back to either Dublin or Cork. We were only a stop-gap measure for him. Not a bad player but we'll get by without him

Paddyfield
27/02/2008, 7:14 PM
I think it maybe for the best as Posters on the gufcnet forum have it in for him big time .

I gave up trying to get on that site. What are they saying about GOH?

gordongekko
27/02/2008, 7:40 PM
posters on a forum do not dictate a clubs transfer policy.i think its a mistake,he gets it down and passes it well,wer gonna miss him.

here here. We will win nothing with the bunch of kids we have and it is also likely we will still be paying some of this wages so he should be here in our midfield playing the ball on the ground. Our form towards the end of the year improved when he joined and tried to get us playing football.

exiled_gufc_fan
28/02/2008, 5:57 AM
Ipswich Player on trial with United (http://www.clubfanzine.com/ipswich_town/showNews.php?id=9117)

Ollie Fenn is on trial with us having impressed for the Ipswich Town XI in our friendly last week.

MyTown
28/02/2008, 8:56 AM
I thought O'Halloran did very well for us while he was here. He added a bit of badly needed bite in the middle and on the right and could play a bit.

I hoped he might be a good influence off the park too with his reputation for being a bit of craic, but obviously since he wasn't prepared to drop his (wage) demands for a move to Cobh he had other agendas too.

Anyway, for me he was definitley an influence in our improved form after he came in, so Good Luck to him.

Demoshield
28/02/2008, 11:07 AM
I gave up trying to get on that site. What are they saying about GOH?

From Galwayunitedfc.net.
“I believe that Greg O'Halloran was involved in a training ground accident with another player, who was injured and will be out for quite a while.”
“Gone to Shels on loan.... vermin.”
“If what I heard about him is true then he can **** off to Cork.”
“Ya,Ditto. He can **** off”
“He's a hormonal fool. Inconsistent too”
“think a move to cobh will be best for him, as he wont live in galway full time,”

6 posts from 5 different users. Unless I am missing something. Hardly "big time" stuff. About 2.5% of the people who are registered members there. If you think thats bad don't look at Cork forum about him. Popular bloke!
Main problem is his refusal to move to Galway & his expressed desire to move to Cork or Dublin. The training ground "accident" was the final straw.

Can't wait 'till press conference tomorrow. One lad, on other forum said he would love to see Rooney or Ronaldo play for GUFC (Big Time), & as that site now dictate transfer policy for TC.:rolleyes:

WoodquayBoy
28/02/2008, 11:29 AM
Main problem is his refusal to move to Galway
Can we take it then that the manager is going to put himself on the transfer list because of his refusal to move to Galway as well? And don't go giving me guff about the amuont of time he is here and blah de blah de blah, if he was fully committed to United, he'd move

MyTown
28/02/2008, 11:51 AM
Can we take it then that the manager is going to put himself on the transfer list because of his refusal to move to Galway as well? And don't go giving me guff about the amuont of time he is here and blah de blah de blah, if he was fully committed to United, he'd move

IMO Regardless of where they are based, most managers are on a virtual transfer list all the time anyway given that a poor run of games (insert whatever number you could tolerate yourself), or in the case of our League, their own frustrations with their current club set up, is enough to see them move up, move on or move out of the game anyway. Our manager said as much when he addressed supporters in Becketts towards the end of last year & I think he's right.

gufct
28/02/2008, 11:54 AM
great signature My Town wonder how many actually do ;)

Demoshield
28/02/2008, 2:10 PM
Preaching to the converted there!
While I think TC should have moved, it has to be a requirement of all players that they live in Galway. Glad to hear Gary Rogers is now a resident of our fine county, he had the club over a barrell last season & got away with not relocating. TC could live in Dublin & manage a Dublin club & still face a 2 hour commute to & from work every day. IMO no player could do that & perform to the best of his ability.

galwayhoop
28/02/2008, 3:49 PM
Ipswich Player on trial with United (http://www.clubfanzine.com/ipswich_town/showNews.php?id=9117)

Ollie Fenn is on trial with us having impressed for the Ipswich Town XI in our friendly last week.

GREAT!!!

Just what we need, some youth to freshen things up.............

gufct
28/02/2008, 4:09 PM
Here we go again whinging,moaning and not a ball kicked! Jesus Wept:mad:

gufct
28/02/2008, 4:13 PM
I think Mr. O'Halloran had burnt all his boats at GUFC judging by the club statement here http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/squad/galway-united-transfer-news.html.

gordongekko
28/02/2008, 6:42 PM

Im not sure that people showing concern that our 2 main midfielders from last season are no longer at the club when they have not really been replaced by people of greater ability means that they are whinging or moaning?

gufct
28/02/2008, 10:40 PM
Gary Deegan looks Miles ahead of either Murphs (who had 2 very poor seasons by his previous standards) or O'Halloran and was MOM in Tonights match in Athlone.The new signing Ollie Fenn looked good in the 1st half but tired a bit in the 2nd half.

The players are miles ahead of where we were this time last year and looked extremely lean and fit tonight.

Claret Murph
29/02/2008, 6:07 AM
Gary Deegan looks Miles ahead of either Murphs (who had 2 very poor seasons by his previous standards) or O'Halloran and was MOM in Tonights match in Athlone.The new signing Ollie Fenn looked good in the 1st half but tired a bit in the 2nd half.

The players are miles ahead of where we were this time last year and looked extremely lean and fit tonight.

Talk about lean and fit , I saw lester the other day and I had to look twice to make sure it was the same person .......

galwayhoop
29/02/2008, 9:11 AM

no, merely pointing out that we have many many young promising players at the club and perhaps if we were to sign another player it would be better to bring in someone with more experience instead of an academy drop out, á lá reilly, robson, treacy...

it is a tough, physical league and young talented players don't always succeed, those that do take time to adjust.

gufcfan
29/02/2008, 12:17 PM
Mr. O'Halloran had burnt all his boats at GUFC

Where did you pull that saying out of gufct?

New one on me.

I thought it was bridges...?

gordongekko
29/02/2008, 2:37 PM
Murphs (who had 2 very poor seasons by his previous standards) or O'Halloran.

How the hell can he keep Foley and get rid of these two players?

gufct
29/02/2008, 3:15 PM
why would he keep murphs who a. had 2 terrible seasons by his own admission and b. was not prepared to go full time.

Greg didnt give a flying fig about GUFC and if you checked any Cork,Derry or our own GUST Site you would see he has a history of doing what he did on Galway.

gordongekko
29/02/2008, 3:40 PM
why would he keep murphs who a. had 2 terrible seasons by his own admission and b. was not prepared to go full time.

Greg didnt give a flying fig about GUFC and if you checked any Cork,Derry or our own GUST Site you would see he has a history of doing what he did on Galway.

He had foley on the transfer list for most of the seasion and had murphy starting for most of the season it does not make sence to me how he can keep foley on a full time contract or one are the u21s on a part time contract and not keep a player who can win games for us.

As for Greg you should ask Tony cousins why he did not look at the boards before he signed him or talk to his previous managers as if all that is being said about him is true he should never have signed him in the first place.

MyTown
29/02/2008, 3:51 PM
As for Greg you should ask Tony cousins why he did not look at the boards before he signed him or talk to his previous managers as if all that is being said about him is true he should never have signed him in the first place.

I presume the manager signed him because he thought he could do a job for us. Most contributors here seem to agree - (a rare enough occurance).

I know you're sensitive to the odd bit of heckling since your night in Becketts was ruined by one, but I don't see what the manager would have gained by reading the Derry, Cork or Dublin boards. He signed a player who did a job for us. If the player no longer had any interest in doing the job - eventhough he was on a contract - is the manager at fault?

gordongekko
29/02/2008, 4:01 PM

, but I don't see what the manager would have gained by reading the Derry, Cork or Dublin boards. He signed a player who did a job for us. If the player no longer had any interest in doing the job - eventhough he was on a contract - is the manager at fault?

According to gufct he had a history of doing this?. I dont know what i would have to gain in reading the derry or cork site about a player we had not signed but i would have thought our manager would do as much research as possible on a potentil signing so maybe he would have gained something by reading the forums and saved us hassle and MONEY. Money had could have been spent elsewhere.

gufct
29/02/2008, 4:14 PM
Gordon your tying yourself in Knots. It doesnt matter what happens in Galway United its all Tonys Fault. I give up :rolleyes:

gordongekko
29/02/2008, 4:46 PM
Gordon your tying yourself in Knots. It doesnt matter what happens in Galway United its all Tonys Fault. I give up :rolleyes:

Not at all im sure he will develop into a fine manager if he is given enough time. But i firmly believe that the first 7 games this season will tell us if he is up to the job. We have bohs pats rovers drogs cork sligo in those 7 games. I thought he had a great first season but i was bitterly dissapointed with the way we played last season. This team is the best finance best supported best looked atfter team in my lifetime yet last season we were terrible against the teams who were part time and no better than pubs teams we played terrible football and were knocked out early in both cups. If we have another season like that he has to go but hopefully he has learned from last season and he proves us all wrong and he is here for a very long time. The last thing anyone wants is for this club to change a manager just for the sake of it but there are a lot of good managers without a job at the moment who would have a lot more experience than Tony and maybe a manager with more experience would have got the best out of people like greg and alan.

gufcfan
29/02/2008, 11:27 PM
so maybe he would have gained something by reading the forums

Ah FFS.

Do you listen to yourself when you talk at all.

Do you really think that listening to the rants of some random punters on a site,
probably ran by a bunch of little hitlers that denounce anyone voicing opinions contrary to their own,
would be a sound method of gathering information on potential signings...

wholovesyababy
29/02/2008, 11:35 PM
Ah FFS.

Do you listen to yourself when you talk at all.

Do you really think that listening to the rants of some random punters on a site probably ran by a bunch of little hitlers that denounce anyone voicing opinions contrary to their own, would be a sound method of gathering information on potential transfers...

i agree