PDA

View Full Version : First live TV game on Saturday

soccerc
12/02/2008, 4:58 PM
and highlights clash too!

Drogheda United V Shamrock Rocers (http://www.chatsoccer.eu/news/index.php/Champions-V-Rovers-for-Live-TV-kickoff.html)

Mr A
12/02/2008, 5:01 PM
Whatever about the odd clash- 8pm on a Monday is the perfect time for the highlights package, great to see it!

Candystripe
12/02/2008, 6:59 PM
Great timing for the 1st game. Most pubs etc, will have RTE2 on so most ppl will at least watch the replays or could even end up being suprised at the standard of football on view.

Hopefully the Drogs will try and not shut up shop if they score early like they did at the begining of the past two seasons.

As for the clash with the Derry V Linfield game, I wont care as I'll be recording the highlites show every week anyway!

harpstilidie
12/02/2008, 8:46 PM
8pm on a monday night! Happy Days! :D

Great time to put on the live tv game as well. It doesn't clash with any other games which means we can all actually watch it!

ndrog
12/02/2008, 11:56 PM
Great timing for the 1st game. Most pubs etc, will have RTE2 on so most ppl will at least watch the replays or could even end up being suprised at the standard of football on view.

Hopefully the Drogs will try and not shut up shop if they score early like they did at the begining of the past two seasons.

As for the clash with the Derry V Linfield game, I wont care as I'll be recording the highlites show every week anyway!

absolute classic ! will have to remind shane barrett of that .He destroyed you in utd pk all on his own .Hatrick anyone ?

A face
13/02/2008, 12:20 AM
How many years is this highlights package going to be on for again?

placid casual
13/02/2008, 8:45 AM
whats the story of numbers of away fans allowed into utd park.
is it still 500 like last season ?
with the game being moved to saturday their will be at least 500 hoops at the game.

iceman
13/02/2008, 9:28 AM
whats the story of numbers of away fans allowed into utd park.
is it still 500 like last season ?
with the game being moved to saturday their will be at least 500 hoops at the game.
Unfortunately its still low. Heard Cliftonville are only getting 450 for the "away" section in the Setanta Cup game , so Rovers will probably get the same.

centre mid
13/02/2008, 10:04 AM
Does 8pm on a monday not clash with the Setanta Games?

superfrank
13/02/2008, 11:31 AM
Catch the el show and watch the second half of the Setanta game.

I'm delighgted they've put the match on the Saturday at 8pm. A lot people will tune in assuming the Premiership is on and, hopefully, will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm guessing the highlights show will have.......Dave Barry, Roddy Collins and the other guy that always presents the eircom league shows. :( It's still better than Bill, Giles and Dunphy though.

Keen2win
13/02/2008, 1:07 PM
Dave Barry, Roddy Collins and the other guy that always presents the eircom league shows. :( It's still better than Bill, Giles and Dunphy though.

No way. Dunphy and Co are way better

Stato
13/02/2008, 1:14 PM
I'm delighgted they've put the match on the Saturday at 8pm. A lot people will tune in assuming the Premiership is on and, hopefully, will be pleasantly surprised.

From my reading of it it's on between the rugby and the Premiership. Scotland v England starts at 3:15pm so I'm guessing Drogs v Rovers will kickoff around 5pm with the Premiership still at 7pm or whatever time it's normally on.

bray boy
13/02/2008, 1:47 PM
absolutly brilliant time will the show be posted on the loi website???does anyone know....

Réiteoir
13/02/2008, 2:01 PM
Catch the el show and watch the second half of the Setanta game.

I'm guessing the highlights show will have.......Dave Barry, Roddy Collins and the other guy that always presents the eircom league shows. :( It's still better than Bill, Giles and Dunphy though.

Con Murphy - who also does an excellent job on Friday Sportsnight when no live game is on TV

Good news about the timings though - just hope that RTÉ stream both on the website so I can get a look

Also just checked - the Monday night highlights on the 10th don't clash with any Premier****e coverage - which is more good news

a.a.d
13/02/2008, 5:41 PM
The first game will be between the Rugby and The Premiership programmes.

They will show three games over the first three weekends on the season

Bohs v Pats and Cork V Derry are the other two so I have been told.

The Monday night highlights programme as well as the Live games will be streamed on the RTE website around the world. And from what I have heard the Monday night show will only clash with a couple of Setanta cup games as the league games that Setanta are planning on showing will be on another day maybe Sunday.

superfrank
13/02/2008, 5:46 PM
No way. Dunphy and Co are way better
Are you serious? Dunphy and Giles would just ramble on and on about their failure at Rovers in the 70s and 80s. Bill wouldn't have a clue.

Collins is knowledgeable of who players are, his ability to judge players is questionable. Dave Barry is a decent commentator and at least Con Murphy knows more than what the producers tell him. Much better than the other 3.

Sheridan
13/02/2008, 6:14 PM
Collins is a must, not because he knows anything (although, when his prejudices don't get in the way, he's a reasonable analyst of individual games) but for his box office appeal. Barry is a decent sensible counterfoil but a bit dull. Murphy is good, a little bit of a powderpuff rather than an agent provocateur. Des Curran on Setanta is the best anchor for domestic football but he's probably happy where he is. Hope they've dispensed with Morley this year.

sullanefc
13/02/2008, 6:34 PM
Collins is a must, not because he knows anything (although, when his prejudices don't get in the way, he's a reasonable analyst of individual games) but for his box office appeal. Barry is a decent sensible counterfoil but a bit dull. Murphy is good, a little bit of a powderpuff rather than an agent provocateur. Des Curran on Setanta is the best anchor for domestic football but he's probably happy where he is. Hope they've dispensed with Morley this year.

Morley uses too many cliches for my liking, can be irritating.

Roddy is too negative to be a panelist on this program. We need positive panelists. Barry and Rico would be my choices.

Actually, any chance of a poll where we pick 2 panelists from a list of pundits???

niallsparky
13/02/2008, 6:36 PM
I think Houghton or Bonner could be possibilities. Both have spoken out in the past about their desire for a strong domestic league and this is a good chance to be part of it. I'd say there will be a few players/managers featured aswell.

sullanefc
13/02/2008, 6:40 PM
I think Houghton or Bonner could be possibilities. Both have spoken out in the past about their desire for a strong domestic league and this is a good chance to be part of it. I'd say there will be a few players/managers featured aswell.

Players/managers is a good idea to have as pundits. And for live games we should see a player who is injured/suspended for one of the teams involved.

Sheridan
13/02/2008, 6:52 PM

And for live games we should see a player who is injured/suspended for one of the teams involved.
No offence to either of you, but those are both terrible ideas! :p

Houghton and Bonner wouldn't know anything about the players or teams involved, they'd be bluffing worse than Paddy Mulligan. Pointless having suspend or injured players on the panel because they can't say anything.

Dodge
13/02/2008, 7:25 PM
Anyone remember Gilesy calling Paul Keegan the "American lad" on one of the few LOI games he commentated on (Shels v Pats in about 1999).

Spoons
13/02/2008, 9:33 PM
Rico and Sean Connors along with Con Murphy are the "dream team" lined up by RTE I heard...:ball:

Réiteoir
13/02/2008, 9:42 PM
Connor the new Roddy I can envisage - telling anyone who'd listen about how he saved the League of Ireland through cunningly placed notes from Steve Bruce

bellavistaman
14/02/2008, 12:13 PM
Highlights show is on rte would i be correct in saying?

BrayUnknowns
14/02/2008, 12:19 PM
i'd love to see the likes of Paul McGrath on it, instantly reconisable figure to every single footie fan in Ireland, knows about the LOI and would bump the profile of the show.

They could also maybe do interviews with players in the UK or else were who have played in the league and talk about there favourite memories etc... again it would add a famous face talking in a good way about the league and maybe get a few of the bar stoolers to take a little bit more notice. Ya know what most of them are like "Well if Roy Keane/Daryl Murphy/Kevin Doyle etc said it's good well then it must be"

mrtndvn
14/02/2008, 12:48 PM
Anyone know if live games will be on a saturday?

Rob_the_cat
14/02/2008, 8:49 PM
Anyone know if live games will be on a saturday?

I'd imagine that RTE committed to showing a rugby club international/Ireland U21 international on the Friday night, so the Saturday this time is a one off. That's FA Cup quarter final weekend too, so there might not be UK highlights on that night on RTE.

harpstilidie
14/02/2008, 9:47 PM
Highlights show is on rte would i be correct in saying?

Yip it is.

onceahoop
14/02/2008, 9:57 PM
Morley uses too many cliches for my liking, can be irritating.

Roddy is too negative to be a panelist on this program. We need positive panelists. Barry and Rico would be my choices.

Actually, any chance of a poll where we pick 2 panelists from a list of pundits???

Morley "different class". What former footballer doesn't talk in football speak.

Roddy, NO!!!!!!!!!