PDA

View Full Version : Ireland rise in the FIFA rankings

tiktok
25/06/2003, 7:16 PM
details on www.soccercentral.ie

Ireland have risen one place in the current FIFA rankings from 15th to 14th place, after a recent run of good results under Brian Kerr.

Group Ten leaders Switzerland are up three places to 40th, other group challengers Russia have dropped five places to 30th.

Brazil still top the rankings despite recent losses to Colombia and Portugal. England are up one place to 8th.

tiktok
25/06/2003, 9:13 PM
just to follow that up, here's the top twenty and a few choice additions. the full list is available on www.fifa.com

1 Brazil
2 France
3 Spain
4 Argentina
5 Netherlands
6 Germany
7 Turkey
8 England
9 United States
10 Czech Republic
J11 Italy
J11 Mexico
13 Denmark
14 Ireland Republic
15 Portugal
16 Cameroon
17 Belgium
J18 Costa Rica
J18 Sweden
20 Paraguay

30 Russia, 40 Switzerland, 50 Australia, 51 Wales, 59 Scotland,
110 Northern Ireland, 204 (AND LAST) Montserrat

petef
26/06/2003, 10:34 AM
Cant believe the US are ninth and as for Costa Rica...

Schumi
26/06/2003, 1:58 PM
In fairness to the US, they got to the quarter finals of the last World Cup.

tiktok
26/06/2003, 5:40 PM
the US and Costa Rico owe their high position to the fact that while we face stiff competition in the european championships they play no-one bar mexico in their regional tournaments (who have gone through a dip in form recentyears) or in WC qualifying. it keeps them winning.

having said that since the introduction of their domestic league they have improved, as proven by the WC run.

pineapple stu
26/06/2003, 7:16 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
the US and Costa Rico owe their high position to the fact that while we face stiff competition in the european championships they play no-one bar mexico in their regional tournaments (who have gone through a dip in form recentyears) or in WC qualifying. it keeps them winning.

having said that since the introduction of their domestic league they have improved, as proven by the WC run.

That used to be a big problem - Japan were ranked above Italy a couple of years ago because of it, but FIFA then assigned a rating to each association as well which means that Asian games rank lower than European games, for example.

Costa Rica did get to the World Cup, and I think have done well in recent competitions like the Gold Cup and Copa America?

Slash/ED
26/06/2003, 8:55 PM
To be fair, the US aren't a bad side at all, but the Fifa rankings in general are daft and nobody takes them seriously.

The Legend
26/06/2003, 9:24 PM
Well we if jumped above England it wouldnt be so meaning less.
:-)

A face
26/06/2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by The Legend
Well we if jumped above England it wouldnt be so meaning less.
:-)

Same goes for us :)

The Legend
27/06/2003, 12:50 AM
Hmnn when i said "we" i meant Ireland...

I might live in the U.S, but i'm not that bonded with them.

Likewise, i'm not sure if you meant us or U.S...

so, despite the confusion, i get the point .... happy days!

J.O.F.A.S
27/06/2003, 2:47 AM
Lads seriously, what ever way you look at it................................................ .....

IRELAND are the 14th best team in the world, per population we are the best......

14th best, what an achievment!

A face
27/06/2003, 2:23 PM
Originally posted by The Legend
Hmnn when i said "we" i meant Ireland...

I might live in the U.S, but i'm not that bonded with them.

Likewise, i'm not sure if you meant us or U.S...

so, despite the confusion, i get the point .... happy days!

:D

Cityace
19/07/2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
In fairness to the US, they got to the quarter finals of the last World Cup.
Germany got to the finals and look where they are.

As for Italy bieng behind England, i think that is rubbish.I'd say an italian 2nd team would beat england.Not bieng anti-england,i just think they would.

brine2
23/07/2003, 10:57 AM
What do the Dutch have to do to lose their top 5 ranking????

John83
23/07/2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by J.O.F.A.S
Lads seriously, what ever way you look at it................................................ .....

IRELAND are the 14th best team in the world, per population we are the best......

I suspect Honduras might edge us on the per capita thing. Anyway, it is an achievement, and looking at those teams ahead of us, Denmark and the U.S. have both been the recipients of mighty thrashings in friendlies against us a little over a year ago.

Germanys placing is down to a pigs ear of a qualifying tourni for the World Cup. They finished behind England FFS.

pineapple stu
23/07/2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by brine2

The World Rankings take the last six years into account - Holland reached the semi-final of both Euro 2000 and World Cup 98.

Just because they didn't get to the 2002 World Cup shouldn't mean that they suddenly plummet.

tiktok
23/07/2003, 5:44 PM
Originally posted by brine2

they have to stop winning their high profile friendlies. They've only lost three or four games in something like five years, two happened to be to us and portugal which meant they didn't qualify for the WC, but they are up there on merit.