PDA

View Full Version : Leon Best

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

livehead1
12/02/2008, 1:05 PM
What a joke...Nigel Worthington is attempting to persuade Leon Best in declaring for the North. Leon does not have any links to the country what so ever, the North wanted to rule changing, they went mad on the subject and now they have decided they want some of the Republic's players! Such a hypocritical attitude...Also, you're wasting your time! Guarentee you that!From SSN
Coventry striker Leon Best is being chased by Northern Ireland boss Nigel Worthington to change his allegiance from Republic of Ireland.

Best, who has enjoyed a fine season to date with Coventry, has represented Republic of Ireland at youth levels but is yet to make an appearance for the senior side.

Worthington has been alerted to Best's possible eligibility to play for Northern Ireland and is thought to be sounding out a move for the former Southampton man.

Best, who was the subject of interest from Ipswich and Nottingham Forest during the January transfer window, has scored six goals this season and his performances have caught the attention of Worthington.

Premier League duo Blackburn and Birmingham are also thought to be keeping tabs on Best, while Championship hopefuls West Brom are weighing up a move for the 21-year-old if they secure promotion at the end of the season.

Best says he is in the dark over interest from Worthington, but refused to rule out a switch of allegiance.

In the dark
"I have previously played for the Republic of Ireland at youth levels, but not the senior team," Best told skysports.com

"My family come from Ireland and although I was born in England I feel very Irish.

"I have not heard anything from either side.

"I have heard the rumours about Northern Ireland, but I have heard nothing official."

greendeiseboy
12/02/2008, 1:14 PM
He has been covered on here before and as far as i know didnt do himself any favours by taking time out to decide his international future and subsequently being named in the england under 21 squad (dont think he played) and in the fact that since then was named in under 19 and 21 ireland squads and not showing up for whatever reason

on top of all this he has recently being quoted as saying that he cant understand why he hasn't been called up in recent squads:rolleyes:

paul_oshea
12/02/2008, 1:22 PM
in fairness we cant be hypocritical if we were the ones that agreed on teh compromise....

eirebhoy
12/02/2008, 1:25 PM
in fairness we cant be hypocritical if we were the ones that agreed on teh compromise....
Was it not the IFA that were disappointed with the decision because we could steal their players?

BigmanCas
12/02/2008, 1:30 PM
I watched Leon Best play for Southampton regularly. This is a storm in a teacup. A red herring!! He will never be good enough to play senior international to a standard we expect from our national team but that is not the issue here I'm afraid.

paul_oshea
12/02/2008, 1:34 PM
Was it not the IFA that were disappointed with the decision because we could steal their players?

yes it was, but I am on about us. we would be being hypocritical like them if we decided to start complaining now when we agreed on it!

Drumcondra 69er
12/02/2008, 1:39 PM

The North turned down that compromise did they not? Things were left as they were last I heard, no recepricol agreement, does he have a granny from the 6 counties by any chance?

ifk101
12/02/2008, 1:49 PM
I don't think Leon Best is eligible for them. But with Jamie O'Hara name also mentioned recently and now Leon Best's name, it will be interesting to see who else will be linked to the North in the future.

It also sounds like the IFA is interpreting the "eligibility proposal" as the current, applicable rules. If so, it should be a few interesting months ahead of us.

But if he's eligible and wants to play for the North - good luck to him.

tetsujin1979
12/02/2008, 2:25 PM
I don't think Leon Best is eligible for them. But with Jamie O'Hara name also mentioned recently and now Leon Best's name, it will be interesting to see who else will be linked to the North in the future.
I didn't realise O'Hara's name had been linked with the North. It doesn't matter anyway, since he's played a competitive U-21 international for England, he can't play for anyone else but England.

shaneker
12/02/2008, 2:45 PM
I'd be very surprised if Leon gave this a second look - even if he is eligible (which it looks like he isn't).

livehead1
12/02/2008, 3:57 PM
Trust, his mum wears the trousers and she won't let him...sure shanekerins went to primary school with him, he'd be able to tell you sure enough!!

EalingGreen
12/02/2008, 4:38 PM
Point of information, pls.

On what basis does Best currently qualify for ROI? If it is via a parent/grandparent from the 26 counties, then I personally don't think NI should touch him, either on practical grounds (no real connection to NI) or on grounds of principle (i.e. our objection to FAI capping NI-born players without a parent/g'parent/residence in ROI)

That said, if his parent/grandparent is actually from the 6 counties, then imo we should cap him immediately, even if he's crap! :D

Also, isn't he already over 21? Wouldn't that disqualify him from "switching", regardless of where his dear oul granny hails from?

geysir
12/02/2008, 4:59 PM
Point of information, pls.

On what basis does Best currently qualify for ROI? If it is via a parent/grandparent from the 26 counties, then I personally don't think NI should touch him, either on practical grounds (no real connection to NI) or on grounds of principle (i.e. our objection to FAI capping NI-born players without a parent/g'parent/residence in ROI)
All very fine to have these high sounding principles when in truth, under those circumstances, NI could not touch him as he would not be eligible.
Does anybody up North understand the eligibility criteria?

livehead1
12/02/2008, 5:20 PM
His mother was born in Dublin

shaneker
12/02/2008, 6:41 PM
Trust, his mum wears the trousers and she won't let him...sure shanekerins went to primary school with him, he'd be able to tell you sure enough!!

My Dad met his mum once or twice (sports days and such like) and always said she was very proud of being Irish, so I'm sure she bursts with pride to think of him playing for Ireland. Hopefully he will some day, would be a real thrill to think of someone myself and livehead1 had kickabouts with pulling on the green jersey.

On a side note, About 2 years ago my Dad bumped into Leon in Nottingham and Leon came up to him (not the other way around) and chatted away for a few minutes. He hadn't seen him or me for several years and we were never close mates but I thought that showed real class. Really hope it works out for him.

livehead1
12/02/2008, 6:47 PM
I remember when he played for Vernon Colts against West Bridgford and he scored a goal from the half way line, 2 weeks later he was signed for County.

Metrostars
12/02/2008, 8:37 PM
Did a bit of digging around....found proof that Leon Best did play a few official underage games for Republic of Ireland:
U17 qualifers against France & Germany in 2002:

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/under17/history/season=2003/round=1588/match=69550/index.html
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/under17/history/season=2003/round=1588/match=69551/index.html

If thats the case he cannot switch now.

eirebhoy
12/02/2008, 9:20 PM
Yeh we've been following him on here. He played for us at a few underage levels. Then he was reported to be maybe changing allegiance and pulled out of a few Ireland squads. He was called into the England U20 squad but was injured so we don't know if he'd have accepted it. He was then called up to our U21s. I think he might have pulled out through injury. :D

Anyway, as Metrostars, he's now stuck with us.

dodgycanadian
13/02/2008, 1:31 AM
not a chance of this happening....... know leon personally, hes from bluebell, strong links to dublin there wouldnt be a hope of that happening. if anything the quotes with ssn made it seem as if he was oblivious to the whole situation

dodgycanadian
13/02/2008, 1:32 AM
a better question is why hasnt he been called up to the U-21 squad... know hes good mates with alot of the players on the team particularily darren randolph and mark yeates

Qwerty
13/02/2008, 1:53 AM
He is past his 21st birthday and has played competitive under-age games for Ireland so he can't play for anyone esle.

NI should do their research first, they're acting a bit like the FAI :) I still get annoyed when I remember the FAI making approaches to Aaron Lennon & Gary Cahill.

youngirish
13/02/2008, 9:40 AM
Have only seen Best on rare occasions (the FA youth cup final a few years ago springs to mind) and he seems to potentially have the makings of a very decent striker though he is a bit of a confidence player IMO. I'd certainly think he could be more use to us in the long run than the likes of Daryl Murphy, Stephen Elliot or Andy Keogh who are regularly called up to our squads and will never be good enough for International football as far as I can see (in fairness Elliot has suffered terribly from injury which seems to have stalled his career).

If he bangs in a few more goals this season I'd include him in the squad for an upcoming friendly instead of one of the aforementioned.

Hibernian
13/02/2008, 11:16 AM
You have to laugh at Norn Iron. They make a program about how ROI are poaching there players and now they are doing the same priceless.

Grand for them to do it eh?

If they want to do it let them at least we wont cry over it like them.

Maroon 7
13/02/2008, 4:39 PM
You have to laugh at Norn Iron. They make a program about how ROI are poaching there players and now they are doing the same priceless.

Grand for them to do it eh?

If they want to do it let them at least we wont cry over it like them.

Irony isn't their strong point obviously.

Metrostars
13/02/2008, 4:59 PM
What amazes me is that an International Team manager doesnt know the basic of International eligibility rules....

Stuttgart88
14/02/2008, 9:14 AM
I'm not convinced by Best. Talented & athletic young player who scores goals in streaks then goes ages without scoring. I'm not a big fan of his attitude either, he looks like a really moody sort and a bit of a me feinner (I don't know how to insert a fada!).

He needs to start being one of the better Championship forwards before he can be considered as an option for our squad.

Seagull-4-life
14/02/2008, 9:36 AM
im hardly gonna lose any sleep if he goes to the men up north...he's no walcott or anything like that...we're ok for young strikers anyway (just about...we'll get by!)

youngirish
14/02/2008, 9:45 AM
He needs to start being one of the better Championship forwards before he can be considered as an option for our squad.
Surely Stutts he's just as worthy of a place in the squad as Andy Keogh or Stephen Elliot?

eirebhoy
14/02/2008, 9:52 AM
Elliot hasn't been in the squad in a long time.

Seagull-4-life
14/02/2008, 9:59 AM
Elliot hasn't been in the squad in a long time.

that's very true

tetsujin1979
14/02/2008, 10:06 AM
Elliot hasn't been in the squad in a long time.He was in the squad for the Germany/Cyprus double header and had to pull out due to injury, but I think the last time he played was the away game to Germany.

Stuttgart88
14/02/2008, 8:24 PM
Surely Stutts he's just as worthy of a place in the squad as Andy Keogh or Stephen Elliot?Personally I reckon Elliott is toast unfortuanately. Great natural finisher but it appears his body just isn't up to the rigours of a tough football season. As eb says, Elliott hasn't been in the squad for a good while anyway.

Keogh shouldn't have been in the senior squad yet and certainly not as a right sided midfielder. You know my views on our better U21s being played at senior level unless they're really exceptional. A good U21 player for now and maybe (I'd say probably) one for the future. More of a no. 10 than a no.9 if you know what I mean.

I know you keep an eye on the Championship. I watched Jonathan Walters for the first time live on Tuesday and was massively impressed. Mobile, quick, physical, good head, good feet, good team player, good brain, good at holding it up & direct.

I'm surprised you're writing off Murphy. He's far from flawless but is showing signs of adapting to a higher level, especially as he's being used all over the place.

youngirish
15/02/2008, 11:11 AM
I'm surprised you're writing off Murphy. He's far from flawless but is showing signs of adapting to a higher level, especially as he's being used all over the place.

I just don't see Murphy as being ever anything other than a decent Championship player. I agree he's been decent for Sunderland in the last few games but I don't see him being consistently good enough over a season to stake a consistent claim for a starting place in any premiership side for more than a few games.

Best is still young and should get better. He's possibly talented enough to make it as a striker in the Premiership in the future but only time will tell. Murphy is hardly going to get much better. I think he's 25 now.

I do like the look of Sean Scannell so far at Palace though. We'll see how it goes.

Stuttgart88
15/02/2008, 9:14 PM
I do like the look of Sean Scannell so far at Palace though. We'll see how it goes.I saw him on Tuesday against Ipswich. He looked like a 17 year old in amongst the big boys. The fact that he held his own is probably a good enough sign.

Majik
15/02/2008, 9:59 PM
I saw him on Tuesday against Ipswich. He looked like a 17 year old in amongst the big boys. The fact that he held his own is probably a good enough sign.

I've been watching Scannell for the last 6 months now, before Warnock came in, he was one of young Eagles people were going on about, Bostock and Moses being the other 2.

Scannell looks good when he comes off the bench and uses his pace, but when he starts I think he's slightly out of his depth, he's not always making the right decisions when the ball comes to him - though this is purely down to him being so young, it'll improve, there's no rush with him.

Stuttgart88
15/02/2008, 10:12 PM
Despite being comfortably handled by the Ipswich left back all night, when he moved inside into the melee that ensued after a few Palace attacks he very nearly set up a team mate and also very nearly scored with a volley. It was as an orthodox wide player that he was totally in his marker's pocket but he obviously has the brains to look for scraps in less orthodox situations. It was a real battle of attrition on Tiesday so a 17 year old was never going to stand out. Any game time at all he gets at that age is a plus.

Majik
15/02/2008, 10:18 PM
Despite being comfortably handled by the Ipswich left back all night, when he moved inside into the melee that ensued after a few Palace attacks he very nearly set up a team mate and also very nearly scored with a volley. It was as an orthodox wide player that he was totally in his marker's pocket but he obviously has the brains to look for scraps in less orthodox situations. It was a real battle of attrition on Tiesday so a 17 year old was never going to stand out. Any game time at all he gets at that age is a plus.

Agreed...to be honest, I'd like to see Scannell rested for a few games, put him on the bench. The more games he starts, I'm only afraid that hype might get to him...he's only 17, no harm in resting him at all.

It's mad, say 6 months ago, the English press were raving about Moses and Bostock, ok both are very good, but they're not starting as many games as Scannell (I'm not making comparisons between the 3).

tetsujin1979
16/02/2008, 12:23 AM
It's mad, say 6 months ago, the English press were raving about Moses and Bostock, ok both are very good, but they're not starting as many games as Scannell (I'm not making comparisons between the 3).
Scannell's been linked with Man City and Villa as well.

tetsujin1979
16/02/2008, 12:31 AM
Have only seen Best on rare occasions (the FA youth cup final a few years ago springs to mind) and he seems to potentially have the makings of a very decent striker though he is a bit of a confidence player IMO.

Best is still young and should get better. He's possibly talented enough to make it as a striker in the Premiership in the future but only time will tell.
Bit of a judgement to make on a player you've only seen on "rare occasions". Just as a comparison, how often have you seen Murphy play?

eirebhoy
16/02/2008, 12:08 PM
I haven't seen a lot of Scannell but never looked out of his depth to me. Looks like he's about 12 but with the brain of a much older player. I like how he kept things simple. For a "flair" player at that age it's a good sign. Simple passes are usually the last resort for a lot of players at that age.

ramsfan
16/02/2008, 4:14 PM
leon best should be given a chance in a friendly if we were willing to give folan a shot then best deserves one too

Stuttgart88
16/02/2008, 4:32 PM
yeah, but was Folan really deserving of a call up? I think he got his call up only because of his size.

In my opinion Jonathan Walters deserves a look. Another goal today.

danonion
17/02/2008, 8:48 PM
yeah, but was Folan really deserving of a call up? I think he got his call up only because of his size.

In my opinion Jonathan Walters deserves a look. Another goal today.

He's top of the actim stats for his division.

youngirish
18/02/2008, 9:57 AM
Bit of a judgement to make on a player you've only seen on "rare occasions". Just as a comparison, how often have you seen Murphy play?

Many, many times. Most of them this season in the premiership though I did see him a few times the two seasons prior. He's pretty sh*t irrespective of his wonder goal.

Stuttgart88
18/02/2008, 5:24 PM
I've usually been underwhelmed by Murphy but the quality of his cross for Doyle's goal against Bolivia and the quality of his crosses against Spurs recently leads me to think there's maybe something there just dying to be coaxed out! By itself his recent wonder goal says nothing but on top of his performance against Spurs I think it shows he can play a bit. Consistently? Who knows?

Just curious Youngirish - did you see the 3 crosses I'm talking about against Spurs? We discussed it here a few weeks ago. I think it was Irishfan86 (or Irishpraha) who was also particularly impressed.

4tothefloor
19/02/2008, 12:58 AM
I've usually been underwhelmed by Murphy but the quality of his cross for Doyle's goal against Bolivia and the quality of his crosses against Spurs recently leads me to think there's maybe something there just dying to be coaxed out! By itself his recent wonder goal says nothing but on top of his performance against Spurs I think it shows he can play a bit. Consistently? Who knows?

Just curious Youngirish - did you see the 3 crosses I'm talking about against Spurs? We discussed it here a few weeks ago. I think it was Irishfan86 (or Irishpraha) who was also particularly impressed.
Murphy is a player who is consistently improving all the time, albeit in small increments. Look at his career and you will see it. He reminds me of Mark Kinsella, who did the very same, although Murphy is well ahead of where Kinsella was at this stage of his career. Can't be discounted if he continues to improve, although I would not have him in the squad ahead of Clinton Morrison.

irishfan86
19/02/2008, 1:41 AM

Yeah, it was me.

I'd say I'd have Murphy nowhere near the squad for a forward place, but he's definitely got to be considered for one of the spots on the wings.

Very unorthodox winger physically, but that's where he's played his best football for Sunderland. Up front he's not physical enough for a big man, and not fast enough to get behind defenses.

No superstar, but useful in certain situations, and given our team of midgets his height has to be a consideration.

geysir
31/05/2009, 10:38 AM
There was bit about Best in the Indo http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/looking-after-number-one-1756594.html

His international career has had several setbacks but he describes it as a "blessing" that he is now in the squad with Trapattoni confirming yesterday that he will travel to Sofia. At one point stories circulated that he would instead play for England but having been born in England to an Irish mother and returned to live in Inchicore for four years when he was eight, Best said the rumours were inaccurate.
"Ireland and England called me up when I was on loan at Shefield Wed I broke my fifth metatarsal on my second game into the new season and went back to Southampton and didn't travel for the Ireland squad. I think the mix-up came with people saying I was going to play for England and I was going to do this and that. But the only reason I didn't travel for Ireland was because I had broken my fifth metatarsal."
He was criticised by some but seems to be another young player who has difficulty being understood. "It's hard when people say 'how come you haven't been involved with Ireland?' because I don't think it was a matter of I wasn't good enough to play for them, I think it was that they thought I didn't want to. But I never got a phone call from anyone asking me did I want to play for Ireland. I think that was the disappointing thing. Because if anybody at a high level had asked me do I want to play for Ireland I would have been on the plane."

livehead1
31/05/2009, 6:36 PM
..Which I think is exactly what I told you all a few weeks ago!...Also, he never lived in Inchicore from 8 to 12!

EastTerracer
31/05/2009, 7:53 PM
...Also, he never lived in Inchicore from 8 to 12!

...from Thursday's Indo..

Nottingham-born Best lived in Dublin for a period of his youth and, despite representing Ireland at U-17 and U-18 level, there was confusion over his international allegiance in 2005 when England named the front man in an U-20 selection.

Injury prevented him from making a decision -- Ireland had summoned him at the same time -- but he says there was no choice to make anyway.

"Because I didn't go with any of them, somebody in green probably had the wrong impression, but, like I said, when I was young, Ireland always showed me a lot of loyalty and I'll show it back," said Best.

"I went to Cherry Orchard school, I played for Lourdes Celtic and lived in Bluebell. It's a big part of me, most of family are in Ireland and my brother, Stephen, who lives in Bluebell will be coming over for the game."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/hunt-makes-case-for-starting--place-1753135.html