PDA

View Full Version : Expectaions 2008

micls
11/02/2008, 2:03 PM
We've had a similar thread before and if the mods want to merge this fire away, but a lot of singings have been made in the meantime and I'd say most clubs are close to finishing their signing.

So the question is what are your realistic expectations for your own club for next season? So come off the fence and say it straight up, so we can come back and laugh at all of those that were horribly wrong(probably myself included) when the season ends.

League: 2nd
FAI Cup: Semi final
League Cup: don't care
Setanta: Final
Europe: 1st round proper-Uefa

Mark Breen
11/02/2008, 2:18 PM
So the question is what are your realistic expectations for your own club for next season?

For Shel's i'd think we should compete and finish in the top 3.. promotion is possible considering some of our signings....(Barring in mind only the champions get promoted this season)

In the cup's, we'll i'd like to see us knock out a few of the premier team's, but a good cup run in one or both of the cups would be nice.

Mr_T
11/02/2008, 2:21 PM
League: 9th
FAI Cup: don't care, cup run would be nice but not expected.
League Cup: Not a Derry fan therefore don't care

Would take that with both hands right now. Its not impossible we'll do better but that will do just fine for now.

Block G Raptor
11/02/2008, 2:24 PM
I'd expect us to be top 2 with a real challenge right to the end of the season
Cup's are anybodies really, Don't expect a double but you never know
get through 2 rounds of Inter 2bob would also be nice

harps1954
11/02/2008, 2:24 PM
League: 9th
FAI Cup: don't care, cup run would be nice but not expected.

Would take that with both hands right now. Its not impossible we'll do better but that will do just fine for now.

Agree 100%. Anything from 9th up in the league will do us this season. The Cups are just a bonus. I'd rather still be in the Premier this time next year than winning any of the Cups.

jebus
11/02/2008, 2:27 PM
We appeal to the guy who owns Dubai Cuisine on Wicklow St. to buy-out our Yank after relations with the fans turn sour when the Yank sobers up and realises where he is. In other news,

League: 5th-8th
FAI Cup: I don't get arrested for drunk and disorderly
League Cup: Dubai Cuisine give out free food at their first game in command after the takeover

Battery Rover
11/02/2008, 2:52 PM
Apparently we are operating on a low basic wage and then bonuses depending on result and league position. This should get the players that didn't perform last season going for us.

League - Top 4
Cup - Anywhere past the second round would be a bonus for us

Terry-Lander
11/02/2008, 2:53 PM
Honestly believe we should be aiming for mid table despite so many hoping we go down. A good run in the FAI cup would be great. Europe.... you must be joking

micls
11/02/2008, 2:55 PM
Honestly believe we should be aiming for mid table despite so many hoping we go down. A good run in the FAI cup would be great. Europe.... you must be joking

Define mid table?

Obviously europe and setanta was for those it applies to

wexfordseagull
11/02/2008, 2:57 PM
hopefully 6/7th in league,fai cup away to big premier club (derry would be a nice trip) league cup win 1 or 2 rounds

noby
11/02/2008, 2:58 PM
Ooh, two typos in thread titles in one afternoon.

Top three for us. A cup run would be nice.

micls
11/02/2008, 2:59 PM
Ooh, two typos in thread titles in one afternoon..

:( Last time I start a thread..........

I blame my laptop :o

Terry-Lander
11/02/2008, 3:00 PM
[quote=micls;874975]Define mid table?

6th / 7th. :D

Titan
11/02/2008, 3:03 PM
League:

Winners

FAI Cup:

Winners

League cup:

Lose to Derry in Final

A Championship:

Winners

U20 League:

Bottom;);)

May have got the U20 and premier division mixed up though:confused:

Rovers fan
11/02/2008, 3:08 PM
League: 6th/7th
FAI Cup: Semi finals at least
League Cup: quarter finals

Rovers1
11/02/2008, 3:18 PM
League. 6th again
League cup: quarter at least
Cup: next year is our year...so we wont worry about this one just yet ;)

Danny
11/02/2008, 3:42 PM
League: Top 3 (Qualify for Europe)

FAI Cup: Knocked out as early as possible so we dont have to even think about winning it....

League Cup: 1/4 finals

Setanta: To get out of the group stages

Europe: Win 1 round, not to lose by 5 goals...

pineapple stu
11/02/2008, 4:23 PM
Ninth will do me nicely in the league. Blood a few more players we can flog to Derry in a few years' time too!

The Lilywhites
11/02/2008, 4:28 PM
League: Winners
FAI Cup: Quarter-Finals
League Cup: Don't Care

Sam_Heggy
11/02/2008, 4:41 PM
9th or higher, couldn't give a rats %"%£$ about either cup tbh.

KevB76
11/02/2008, 5:12 PM
League: 7th

gufcfan
11/02/2008, 6:14 PM
League: 7th
FAI Cup: Quarters
League Cup: don't care
Setanta: 1 game. (On the TV channel...)
Europe: Training camp in Ipswich.

south sligo red
11/02/2008, 6:21 PM
League: 5th/6th depending on signings
FAI Cup: semi - final
League Cup: quarter - final

DmanDmythDledge
11/02/2008, 6:28 PM
League: 10th
FAI Cup/League Cup depends on draw.

Paddyfield
11/02/2008, 7:06 PM
Galway United FC

League: 8th*
FAI Cup: Knocked out by Dundalk in 1st round. Maxi feels justified.
League Cup: Annual elimination by Harps

*Deemed 2008 League Champions after we submit a DVD which outlines inadequecies in the off-field affairs of the seven teams above us

dortie
11/02/2008, 7:06 PM

Beggers cant be chosers !

dortie
11/02/2008, 7:08 PM
League: 2nd or 3rd
FAI Cup: Final
League Cup: Unlike Harps fans, our names on at least one trophy
Setanta: No Idea

Aaron
11/02/2008, 7:10 PM
League: Top 2
FAI Cup: Semi Final
League Cup: Winners
Setanta: Winners

dublinwanderer
11/02/2008, 8:25 PM
League: 6th/7th
FAI Cup: 1/4 or semi
League Cup: win at least 1 round would be nice for a change...

Celdrog
11/02/2008, 8:33 PM
League - Win
FAI - Semis
LC - Out at the first attempt
Setanta - Win
Champions League (I just had to type that one:D) Get through one round

TheFingallian
11/02/2008, 8:39 PM
Any Sporting Fingal avatar yet? :)

League: 5th/6th
FAI Cup: Getting to play a Prem team at home
League Cup: Have a good go at it. Make some advancement.

We are in those cup competitions i presume right?

Martinho II
11/02/2008, 9:36 PM
league: 4th
fai cup:second round
league cup: second round

its a season of consolidation down here Im afraid..

Risteard
12/02/2008, 12:23 AM
There would be a number of draws in the first round of the UEFA Cup that City could win.
I'd happily forfeit all domestic honours to reach the group (second) stage and I reckon its possible this year. . . . . just.

I'd tip Bohs to win all their Intertoto ties aswell with less impressive European performances by the others.

Con-Con
12/02/2008, 12:54 AM
League: Be safe with games to spare. 8th
FAI Cup: Run would be nice. Very happy with last 8.
League Cup: I think we've a chance in this if no one else cares, maybe a final. If the draws go our way!!

Lim till i die
12/02/2008, 10:39 AM
Could actually be anywhere between fourth and ninth.

gustavo
12/02/2008, 10:40 AM
Are people putting down their hopes rather than their expectations?

Celdrog
12/02/2008, 11:51 AM
There would be a number of draws in the first round of the UEFA Cup that City could win.
I'd happily forfeit all domestic honours to reach the group (second) stage and I reckon its possible this year. . . . . just.
I'd tip Bohs to win all their Intertoto ties aswell with less impressive European performances by the others.You seriously expect Cork to reach the group stage of the UEFA cup this season? I admire your optimism.

WoodquayBoy
12/02/2008, 1:17 PM
Realistic Hopes:*
League - 6th
FAI Cup - quarter final
League Cup - semi-final.

Expectations:
League - 8th
FAI Cup - last 16
League Cup - First Round

*Obviously hope we would go through the season unbeaten and do the treble, but that ain't being realistic

ndrog
12/02/2008, 3:05 PM
You seriously expect Cork to reach the group stage of the UEFA cup this season? I admire your optimism.

Was thinking that meself .That would be a major acheivement ! Dont think there up to it tbh .

Sam_Heggy
12/02/2008, 3:54 PM
Was thinking that meself .That would be a major acheivement ! Dont think there up to it tbh .

Its hard to know, if Healy and Georgie Barton :rolleyes: get a good partnership in the middle they will be a very formidable pairing. Gamble, Mooney and O'Flynn in the final 3rd would be good attacking options. Big Murray at the back makes them alot more solid. I doubt they can make the group stages but they won't be far away imo. To say they haven't a hope would be harsh.

Con-Con
12/02/2008, 4:54 PM
Cork had some good runs in Europe before I think they'll get to the first round proper and lose to a good side.

micls
12/02/2008, 4:57 PM
Cork had some good runs in Europe before I think they'll get to the first round proper and lose to a good side.

It all depends on the draw really. We could get very lucky or very unlucky.

When we reached the same stage 3 years ago we got Slavia Prague. While they weren't the top seeds there were also plenty of teams lower than them.

By the same token you can get unlucky in the earlier stages e.g. Pat's getting Odense last season

Risteard
14/02/2008, 12:23 AM
You seriously expect Cork to reach the group stage of the UEFA cup this season?

You tell me.
You quoted it.:mad:
. . . . . . . . . although I do concede the thread title says expectations.:o:D

All I'm saying is, on our day (if this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Cup_2008-09) is accurate), we could possibly beat a qualifier, 4th or 5th in Romania, or cup winners from the likes of Scotland and Russia.
As micls said basically.
We could get to the first round proper and have Poli Timişoara stand in the way of the groups but we could also get knocked out in our first game by a Premiership fair-play qualifier.

Candystripe
14/02/2008, 3:04 AM
It all depends on the draw really. We could get very lucky or very unlucky.

When we reached the same stage 3 years ago we got Slavia Prague. While they weren't the top seeds there were also plenty of teams lower than them.

By the same token you can get unlucky in the earlier stages e.g. Pat's getting Odense last season

Like Derry 2 seasons ago when we got the hardest possible draw in the 1st round, IFK Goteborg THEN THE SCOTISH CUP RUNNERS UP WHO GOT BEAT 5-1 AT HOME OR THE 2 TIMES UEFA CUP CHAMPIONS who are one of the G 14.

Hey guys dont write off any of our teams, on our day we can beat anyone.