PDA

View Full Version : Fran Gavin on AIL proposals in Sunday Indo

Mr_T
11/02/2008, 1:32 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/top-clubs-see-no-place-for-the-rest-1286438.html

Getting praise from the FAI is kinda like when the teacher everyone hates say's you're a fine example to the rest of the class. :o

dcfcsteve
11/02/2008, 2:41 PM
The Platinum One proposals are the best thing that has happened to the League of Ireland since the introduction of Promotion and Relegation in 1985.

The FAI is clearly rattled, and it has given them one-hell of a kick up the arse.

Regardless of whether the Platinum proposals ever actually amount to much, Irish football will be the better for the fact that it has given a lazy organisation some much-needed competition for the loyalty of our clubs.

EL clubs should get together every decade or so and threaten an AIL, purely as a means of pushing the FAI into action....:)

passerrby
11/02/2008, 3:31 PM
are platinums one proposals an attempt to kickstart a debate on an AIL or is it a plan they see as workable , i ask because while i think it does have some positive ideas it is a long long way from been acceptable to anybody outside the 10/12 clubs its aimed at.also was that article an attempt to end the interest of platinum one

dcfcsteve
11/02/2008, 3:38 PM
are platinums one proposals an attempt to kickstart a debate on an AIL or is it a plan they see as workable , i ask because while i think it does have some positive ideas it is a long long way from been acceptable to anybody outside the 10/12 clubs its aimed at.also was that article an attempt to end the interest of platinum one

I have no doubt that Platinum One are serious in their aims. Havn't they taken on costs in pursuing their proposals to-date (e.g. Jim Roddy's salary) ?

As for any suggested attempt by Gavin to end Platinum's interest - I also have no doubt it would take a lot more than a rather one-sided newspaper article by one of the 'rabbits in headlights' at the FAI to act as a death-knell to their interest.

For as long as a decent number of the biggest clubs on the island are interested in their proposals, Platinum One will continue to pursue them. And why wouldn't they be ?

Saint MacDara
11/02/2008, 3:55 PM
Interesting that he mentions the Setanta Sports Cup,a competition that was instigated and is kept afloat by a third party (i.e Setata Sports).Yet he's against any club,sponsor or organisation having any proposals on the future of Irish football.

If the FAI are interested in an AIL then they should formulate their own prosposals to counter Platinum One.This is just another case of them trying to hinder any opposition to them.Gavin is trying to foster the image that individual Eircom League clubs cant possibly care for Irish football and only the FAI know best.

passerrby
11/02/2008, 4:17 PM
given that it looks like the FAI will not support anybody else running it will it take a breakaway for this to become a reality and do you think it will happen during or after the lifetime of the present agreement (four years roughly)

A face
11/02/2008, 4:40 PM
given that it looks like the FAI will not support anybody else running it, will it take a breakaway for this to become a reality

I definitely looks that way now.

and do you think it will happen during or after the lifetime of the present agreement (four years roughly)

I think all clubs would be absolutely mad considering a move before hand.

I definitely think that the IFA and the FAI really need to get to work on this quick smart. What the big clubs are looking for is the opportunity to bring a package to a wider audience that will possibly garner much interest for people inside and outside the league, new sponsorship and all the benefits that go with.

If the IFA and FAI can provide such an option then its would really be in their best interests to do so.

If they could do it, a viable means of doing so then i have to say i would prefer them running an AIL (given their renewed interest in improving the league, and that would be a condition) with full inclusion of all the clubs that currently exist in the leagues (A League included)

They are the devil we know if you will, but if Platinum One offer something that clubs cant walk away from then the IFA and FAI wont have a leg to stand on.

I have always wished that the FAI would get their ass in gear and now i am wishing it even more to be honest.

One thing you have to consider, the other thread re: schoolboy leagues and relationship between LOI clubs etc. How would Platinum One tackle this, not very well i can only imagine. That is one huge plus point for the FAI. If they can improve the relationship there then they have a huge plus point straight away.

gufcfan
11/02/2008, 4:53 PM
Interesting that he mentions the Setanta Sports Cup,a competition that was instigated and is kept afloat by a third party (i.e Setata Sports).Yet he's against any club,sponsor or organisation having any proposals on the future of Irish football.

If the FAI are interested in an AIL then they should formulate their own prosposals to counter Platinum One.This is just another case of them trying to hinder any opposition to them.Gavin is trying to foster the image that individual Eircom League clubs cant possibly care for Irish football and only the FAI know best.

Exactly.

The mood coming from certain people involved in the negotiations for an AIL is that, the AIL WILL happen with or without the FAI. At the moment the FAI are behaving like a teenager that doesn't look like it will get it's own way. I do admit that there are some very good people in the FAI, but they always seem to be overshadowed by clowns.

Television rights for such a competition will go to highest bidder. The television money received by Galway United in the 2007 season was €4,000. Don't quote me on that, but that is a ridiculous amount. Clubs need to maximise their potential revenues. Television is only one of them, but it is potentially the biggest, over time.

I dont give a damn what channel shows the games, if money is coming in.

I'll be at the games in any case.

passerrby
11/02/2008, 5:20 PM
[QUOTE=A face;875122]I definitely looks that way now. QUOTE]

if that happens and it does look possible then would they how would that work in relation to uefa ,refs etc,also some excellent points about the link to junior football they would have to be included in some way

passerrby
11/02/2008, 5:23 PM

but I believe they are interested in an AIL but will let pentinum one do all the running and then step in to take over

A face
11/02/2008, 9:09 PM
but I believe they are interested in an AIL but will let pentinum one do all the running and then step in to take over

Not a chance, they wont be privy to what's going on.

Make no mistake, if the IFA/FAI have the head in the sand or don't act in a timely manner to put up an equally if not better proposal then this could very well go ahead.

If IFA/FAI do have a proposal to context then they have to sell it to the clubs who are behind this. They have to be in a position to have them say ...

'Sheeze, what they've got is far better that ours. Its actually in our best interests to stick with this lot. Will the next participation agreement be five years too? We'll hang in there for another while so.'

That's what they need to do.

IFA/FAI Advantages

- The ability to press on and develop an AIL themselves.

- Administration of schoolboy/junior football and the possibility of improving the relationship between them and LOI clubs and evolving to a proper tiered structure for football on this island

- The affiliation with FIFA/UEFA already with the bargain chip 'Look what we're doing here, this will be great for football on this island', basically clout where its needed.

- The feel good factor for Irish Football if Trappatoni gets us to a major competition, the country will be walking on air again and they will have done it.

- Structures in place already such as commercial, communications, technical, finance, human resources (outlined by Gavin) along with development programmes, refs, coaches, experience with registration of players etc. as opposed to starting everything from scratch where you would think that alot of that would be applicable in the business world as well but they could find its a tad different.

- Experience of competitions on a big scale, Euros, World Cups, all the Under-age levels internationally, etc. experience that cannot be over looked.

What way would the rule book be with the splinter group? Things like that would all have to be considered. Also, what happens if it falls over with the new lot? The IFA/FAI are big enough to weather a fair bit i'd say. Would the new lot just up and run? Would clubs fold over it, given it would fold for a reason.

The thing is .... it will go ahead if the IFA/FAI don't get onto this, they will lose control of this. They wont be in the loop. They wont have a say. I dont know do they realise that impact, obviously they wont fully know until/if it happens. The top tier of clubs completely missing and the fallout afterwards is what they are dealing with. That would be some serious kick in the teeth.

pete
11/02/2008, 9:23 PM
Fran Gavin spoke about this in recent Fans Forum & made some good points.

* Platinum One (or someone else) would take commission from TV deal
* Current proposals only involve an elite.

I do have issues with low sums involved in current TV deals but some of this does go into prize money. The exposure of new RTE deal could potential be better than anything on cable TV (Only a fraction of the population get Setanta) as RTE would bring in 3-4 times viewers alternative stations.

The eL office seems to be run under the 5 year league contract & unless instructed not sure if they can investigate AIL option?

A face
11/02/2008, 9:45 PM
The eL office seems to be run under the 5 year league contract & unless instructed not sure if they can investigate AIL option?

But there is nothing stopping the IFA/FAI from talking about it. I know there is some sort of a forum setup now for better communication between the two, but i hope that this forum realise that this is the biggest thing on the horizon for them.

In fact, if they don't address it then i dare say that irreparable damage could be done (worst case scenario) and it could all be totally out of their hands while it happens.

Bald Student
11/02/2008, 11:15 PM
IFA/FAI Advantages

- The ability to press on and develop an AIL themselves.

- Administration of schoolboy/junior football and the possibility of improving the relationship between them and LOI clubs and evolving to a proper tiered structure for football on this island

- The affiliation with FIFA/UEFA already with the bargain chip 'Look what we're doing here, this will be great for football on this island', basically clout where its needed.

- The feel good factor for Irish Football if Trappatoni gets us to a major competition, the country will be walking on air again and they will have done it.

- Structures in place already such as commercial, communications, technical, finance, human resources (outlined by Gavin) along with development programmes, refs, coaches, experience with registration of players etc. as opposed to starting everything from scratch where you would think that alot of that would be applicable in the business world as well but they could find its a tad different.

- Experience of competitions on a big scale, Euros, World Cups, all the Under-age levels internationally, etc. experience that cannot be over looked.
-Ownership of Turners' Cross.

If the FAI oppose this, they have plenty of cards they could play. Enough that I don't see it happening without their consent.

A face
12/02/2008, 12:53 AM
-Ownership of Turners' Cross.

New stadium and training grounds in the pipeline. Owners wont deal with MFA after meeting with them about twice, realising they are stuck back in the 1970's

If the FAI oppose this, they have plenty of cards they could play. Enough that I don't see it happening without their consent.

Agreed, but you can have a great hand but still lose your shirt. Its all how you play your hand as well.

Mr_Parker
12/02/2008, 7:27 AM
The Platinum One proposals are the best thing that has happened to the League of Ireland since the introduction of Promotion and Relegation in 1985.

:rolleyes:

Sorry, have I missed something here but what exactly are Platinum One's proposals? All I have read since it was first mentioned has been kite flying. No firm proposals. How you can say they are "the best thing that has happened since....." is somewhat questionable.

Mr_Parker
12/02/2008, 7:30 AM
Havn't they taken on costs in pursuing their proposals to-date (e.g. Jim Roddy's salary) ?

And that should excite us?

also was that article an attempt to end the interest of platinum one

I
I also have no doubt it would take a lot more than a rather one-sided newspaper article by one of the 'rabbits in headlights' at the FAI to act as a death-knell to their interest.

Is this not the same paper which has been "breaking" the AIL stories and that was championing the cause over the last few months?

dcfcsteve
12/02/2008, 9:53 AM
:rolleyes:

Sorry, have I missed something here but what exactly are Platinum One's proposals? All I have read since it was first mentioned has been kite flying. No firm proposals. How you can say they are "the best thing that has happened since....." is somewhat questionable.

Read what I wrote Mr Parker - not what you want to see.... :rolleyes:

I wrote that it was the best thing TO HAPPEN to Irish football. It's got nothing to do with the content of Platinum's proposal. It's mere presence has the impact I mentioned - because for the first time the 2 football authorities on this island - both of whom have for years faced immense fan criticism over inertia - have been given a huge boot up the whole and now have competition. As a result, the FAI at least have a new-found interest in doemstic football and are working their balls off for the EL. That wouldn't be happening without the Patinum proposal. That's why it's so important.

Mr A
12/02/2008, 9:58 AM
As a result, the FAI at least have a new-found interest in doemstic football and are working their balls off for the EL. That wouldn't be happening without the Patinum proposal. That's why it's so important.

In fairness, the FAI had started to improve markedly before this was ever heard of. What's more, despite their record, I would trust the FAI more than Platinum one or anyone of that nature. There's some chance that the FAI will look after the common good in football, with any new body it'll be about the money and nothing else.

dcfcsteve
12/02/2008, 10:01 AM
And that should excite us?

You seem to have a peculiarly awkward capacity to not understand the context in which things are written/said :o

The question was asked 'are Platinum even being serious about their proposals'. I responded that the fact that they're incurring cost in pursuing them suggests that they are. Whether or not that excites you is between you and the box of Kleenex...

Is this not the same paper which has been "breaking" the AIL stories and that was championing the cause over the last few months?

I don't know tbh - and it's irrelevant anyway. It was Fran Gavin's own personal view on things. As he's involved with running the league at the FAI he has a lot to lose from the Platinum proposals (perhaps the most of any one individual). Hence he will understandably have a very biased view of it all (though he would be smarter to clip his bias from beign so obvious).

As for your suggestion that the Independent has some sort of agenda re the league, and therefore couldn't possible publish anything opposed to it. The Independent doesn't give a fig about Irish football - full stop. Stop seeing ghosts and shadows where there are none.

I'm not sure why you're choosing to be so nit-picky about all of this in such a peculiar and weird way. If your opposed to the Platinum/AIL idea - fine. But that shouldn't lead you to make wacky posts.

sullanefc
12/02/2008, 10:07 AM
Read what I wrote Mr Parker - not what you want to see.... :rolleyes:

I wrote that it was the best thing TO HAPPEN to Irish football. It's got nothing to do with the content of Platinum's proposal. It's mere presence has the impact I mentioned - because for the first time the 2 football authorities on this island - both of whom have for years faced immense fan criticism over inertia - have been given a huge boot up the whole and now have competition. As a result, the FAI at least have a new-found interest in doemstic football and are working their balls off for the EL. That wouldn't be happening without the Patinum proposal. That's why it's so important.

steve, I would be behind the AI league, but I think that is unfair on the FAI. They began taking over the league and improving TV deals well before AI league talks started.

Mr_Parker
12/02/2008, 10:48 AM
You seem to have a peculiarly awkward capacity to not understand the context in which things are written/said :o

The question was asked 'are Platinum even being serious about their proposals'. I responded that the fact that they're incurring cost in pursuing them suggests that they are. Whether or not that excites you is between you and the box of Kleenex...
I have a perfect understanding thanks. Given the size of their operation, spending a few thousand on kite flying tells nothing imo nor should it excite.

I don't know tbh - and it's irrelevant anyway. It was Fran Gavin's own personal view on things. As he's involved with running the league at the FAI he has a lot to lose from the Platinum proposals (perhaps the most of any one individual). Hence he will understandably have a very biased view of it all (though he would be smarter to clip his bias from beign so obvious).
My point is, "what proposals" regardless of who's views they are.

As for your suggestion that the Independent has some sort of agenda re the league, and therefore couldn't possible publish anything opposed to it. The Independent doesn't give a fig about Irish football - full stop. Stop seeing ghosts and shadows where there are none.

The Indi has been the paper "breaking" the Platinum AIL story over the last few months. You called it "a one sided newspaper article," maybe my subtilty eluded you but I was pointing to the fact that this article went in someway to redress the balance of output from that paper.

I'm not sure why you're choosing to be so nit-picky about all of this in such a peculiar and weird way. If your opposed to the Platinum/AIL idea - fine. But that shouldn't lead you to make wacky posts.
Again, how can anyone be for or against when we haven't even been told what the bones are let alone seeing any flesh. If you think that is wacky stance to take then there must be a lot of wacky people in the world. I would love to see an AIL in the fullness of time based on what is best for football and its supporters, nothing else.

Mr_T
12/02/2008, 11:04 AM
The television money received by Galway United in the 2007 season was €4,000. Don't quote me on that

Oops!!

passerrby
12/02/2008, 11:08 AM
does this have the faintist hope of success without the support of either association,I personally think not but could be wrong..does anybody disagree and if so would or could it have uefa support

neutrino
12/02/2008, 12:50 PM

Surely people can express their views here without someone having a go at them ??

HarpoJoyce
12/02/2008, 1:20 PM
does this have the faintist hope of success without the support of either association,I personally think not but could be wrong..does anybody disagree and if so would or could it have uefa support

UEFA will follow the lead of the local association(s), unless it is seen that some corruption was involved or oppressive outside influence was placed on the association(s) in making a decision. Or that UEFA just doesn't like the propasals on exclusionary grounds.

The Setanta Cup is the closest we have to a Private competition at the moment. Few more precendents to go in that competition, so football continues to be normalised in Ireland.

These propasals have more to do with the current time period than any long-term management of football on the island. The clubs touted are current aspirates for success, when approxiamately one year ago the likes of Shelbourne or Longford Town would have been mentioned as serious contenders for a new league.

EalingGreen
12/02/2008, 3:05 PM
UEFA will follow the lead of the local association(s), unless it is seen that some corruption was involved or oppressive outside influence was placed on the association(s) in making a decision.

Not necessarily, in fact the opposite is more likely. UEFA's big fear is of a breakaway European SuperLeague (e.g. by the G14 etc)*. That is because the clubs involved (i.e. the richest) would, to all effects and purposes, be outside of their control. Moreover, such a League would cut across UEFA's present international boundaries i.e. the National Associations, and as a Member-led organisation, which gets it revenues from international country and club competitions, anything which threatens these is unacceptable to UEFA.

Therefore, UEFA are instinctively hostile to any trans-national Leagues, even in a wee place like Ireland, for fear of setting a precedent.

And UEFA have wielded the stick before now for a similar proposal. Afaik, they greatly restricted the (Scandinavian) Royal League (e.g by requiring a winter season), so that it would not compromise or greatly weaken the domestic Leagues (and Nat.Assocs.) in Denmark, Sweden and Norway. Had the Royal clubs not agreed, then UEFA would have kicked them out, apparently.

Therefore, if the IFA and FAI kick up enough of a stink, then UEFA is likely to row in on their side - especially if it is in order to stand up to a few relatively unimportant clubs in Ireland

* - This was why, for example, they revamped the old European Cup into the Champions League i.e. to head off any breakaway by clubs, by guaranteeing them so many European games per season.

[B]Or that UEFA just doesn't like the propasals on exclusionary grounds.

UEFA doesn't actually much care who is "excluded" or "included" by any League, so long as the local National Association(s) is in charge. For example, they never object to a League cutting down its size (in itself, self-evidently an excusionist move). Indeed, they regularly chastise the Spanish and English Premier Leagues for having "too many" clubs (20), on the basis that it leads to player burn-out.

Tbh, the consent/approval of the FAI and IFA is almost certainly critical to any AIL being sanctioned by UEFA, though such consent/approval in itself might not even be enough for them (imo).

Which leaves the question of whether the breakaway clubs have enough clout to force the FAI and IFA to acquiesce to their plans (as we saw with the English Prem), or whether the FAI/IFA feel strong enough to stare the clubs down and accept FAI/IFA control, to one extent or another.

dcfcsteve
12/02/2008, 4:04 PM
Surely people can express their views here without someone having a go at them ??

Indeed they can.

And surely if people keep missing the point of something you can point that out to them...??

dcfcsteve
12/02/2008, 4:35 PM
Again, how can anyone be for or against when we haven't even been told what the bones are let alone seeing any flesh. If you think that is wacky stance to take then there must be a lot of wacky people in the world. I would love to see an AIL in the fullness of time based on what is best for football and its supporters, nothing else.

I didn't say I was for or against the Platinum project, and I clearly stated that the details - or lack there-of - of their proposal was irrelevant for the point I was making. Which is that their mere appearance on the scene has clearly rattled the FAI and caused them to up their game. Which is a good thing for the Eircom League - regardless of whether Platinum's plans say the moon is made of cheese and we should all move stadiums there.

My reference to your being wacky was focused on the fact that you just don't seem able to grasp the point I was making - instead being determind to see something different. So I've re-iterated the point above to help clarify it

Please read what someone writes - not what you may want to see instead.

HarpoJoyce
12/02/2008, 5:18 PM
EG that was a great post. Its true that UEFA was on the back foot with the clubs in the late 1980's. The danger was not just one break-away league. But that in most parts of Europe their were individuals/ex-pats willing to invest in their local clubs to set up money spinning leagues. The clubs of Istanbul and Athens being simple examples. The very fact Dublin was cited as 'virgin' terrority and was mentioned as a potential venue to host 'Superleague' matches, apart from the Dublin Dons, shows that most areas in Europe had individuals willing to invest in their own regionalised league.
UEFA kept modifying the Champions League, placating the challengers in the primary domestic leagues and now expanding the UEFA Cup to placate many upper mid-table clubs.

G14 group is now disbanded and joining the establishment.
http://www.g14.com/main.php
"Announcement of G-14 General Assembly".
http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind=64/newsid=646355.html

"...The European Club Association...will consist of over 100 clubs and include represention from each one of the 53 National Associations...."
http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/648367.pdf

Representation will again be based on the 5-year co-efficient.
http://www.uefa.com/uefa/aboutuefa/committespanels/panel=32.html

That means one club from League of Ireland every two years, I look forward to the debate on chosing that one. (again UEFA co-effiecient comes into it.)

When I mentioned exclusion I meant a barrier to access, rather than just restrictive promotion/relegation. I forgot about UEFA's own decision to expand a dubious summer Betting competition the intertoto cup
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/intertotocup/history/index.html
which it was stated UEFA were initial reluctant to agree to.
",..Rappan Idea.... Despite UEFA's initial reluctance, Thommen (Ernst Thommen, Swit.) was granted permission to launch the tournament - outside the governing's body jurisdiction and the Intertoto Cup kicked off in 1961.

The Intertoto was expanded by UEFA to compensate the leagues at the bottom of the co-efficient ladder whose European Champions qualifier place had been removed.

I wasn't aware of the Royal League existence, now in its second season.
http://www.royalleague.com/news/newsShow.aspx?id=412
It has the foundations of continued longevity with sponsorship from at least 3 TV stations.

But EG was right that conditions were imposed by UEFA and FIFA. However they are not quite how EG expressed them.
http://www.royalleague.com/news/newsShow.aspx?id=385
"The conditions given from FIFA and UEFA were – as was the case from the first temporary permission given last year - that the Royal League kick offs must not clash with the games in the UEFA Champions League. Further more the Royal League shall not replace the national football tournaments for qualification for the two club tournaments of UEFA.

passerrby
13/02/2008, 3:26 PM

silly to say that the league director was just giving his own personal views surly he speaks on behalf of the fai on league issues.and as platinum one plans to sideline him is it not obivios why he would be againist it.

dcfcsteve
13/02/2008, 7:12 PM
silly to say that the league director was just giving his own personal views surly he speaks on behalf of the fai on league issues.and as platinum one plans to sideline him is it not obivios why he would be againist it.

I said it was Fran Gavin's personal view, to differentiate it from the views of the Independent - as Mr Parker is suggesting the Indo has some sort of agenda on the AIL.

This thread must surely have beaten the world 'taking things out of context' record by now.... :D

passerrby
14/02/2008, 9:52 AM

sorry but i assumed you were saying that it was just the personal view of a lone sniper when it is in fact an fai statement.

fbtn
16/02/2008, 5:59 PM
These propasals have more to do with the current time period than any long-term management of football on the island. The clubs touted are current aspirates for success, when approxiamately one year ago the likes of Shelbourne or Longford Town would have been mentioned as serious contenders for a new league.

Exactly. A major concern of mine as well.

I didn't say I was for or against the Platinum project, and I clearly stated that the details - or lack there-of - of their proposal was irrelevant for the point I was making.

How can you say that you are neither for nor against it when you've already stated that it was the best thing to happen the League of Ireland!

Were you stating fact or your opinion then in that case?

If it is your opinion, and you give it such an accolade then surely you for it?

For someone championing it so vehemently in this thread, I find that as 'wacky' a comment as you'll come across in a debate.

*awaits thesis like response on how I read your posts out of context ;)

dcfcsteve
16/02/2008, 10:06 PM
How can you say that you are neither for nor against it when you've already stated that it was the best thing to happen the League of Ireland!

*wooossshh*

Good to see Foot.ie's world record for taking things out of context in a single thread has a new contributory member.

Bald Student
16/02/2008, 11:47 PM
I feel like I should admit that I don't understand what Steve's saying either. Maybe we could form some type of support group?

dcfcsteve
16/02/2008, 11:58 PM
I feel like I should admit that I don't understand what Steve's saying either. Maybe we could form some type of support group?

Honestly - it feels like I'm having to run some sort of remedial group here.... :o

I said that Platinum was the best thing to happen to Irish football since promotion/relegation. NOT because of the CONTENT of any Platinum proposal. And whethr or not I agree with Platinum's plans is irrelevant.

It is the mnost important thing to happen to Irish football purely and simply because - for the first time ever - something has put the fear of God into both Assciations on this island, and given them a sense of urgency to address the issues affecting our league.

The actual content of Platinum's proposals (or lack of) and my own personal view on them are therefore irrelevant. Platinum could be suggesting we have a league containing teams comprising entirely of one-legged dwarfs, playing every game in a different European town/city rotated in alphabetical order. That wouldn't matter. The mere presence of a competitive organisation directly courting our bigger clubs is proving sufficient for both Associations to get their fingers out of their arse. Even if Platinum's plans come to nought, they will have had a big impact on Irish football by reminding the blazers that if they don't pay it attention, someone else will.

If you can't get this then try banging your head against a wall. Cuz I'm fcuked if I'm gonna waste any more time dealing with the 'Midvale School for the Gifteds' on here on this....:eek:

:D

passerrby
17/02/2008, 1:49 PM
Honestly -
. Platinum could be suggesting we have a league containing teams comprising entirely of one-legged dwarfs, playing every game in a different European town/city rotated in alphabetical order.:D

that proves our point that platinum one proposals are daft .. dwarfs indeed. plus which alphabet would we use the irish or northern irish and most of our clubs dont play in cities so that would be a none runner.

Mr_T
19/02/2008, 10:34 AM
that proves our point that platinum one proposals are daft .. dwarfs indeed. plus which alphabet would we use the irish or northern irish and most of our clubs dont play in cities so that would be a none runner.

LOL. dcfcsteve's head just exploded...........

Mr A
19/02/2008, 12:42 PM
Quoting from another thread as the subject is relevant to here:

Yet another example of their attitude towards the league prior to Platinum and their new-found enthusiasm.

Steve- don't you accept that the FAI interest in the league has shown marked improvement before there was any word of an AIL? For example prizemoney and TV coverage have hugely improved. To retrospectively attribute this to the AIL proposals seems disingenuous.

passerrby
19/02/2008, 1:35 PM

one tries ones best

dcfcsteve
19/02/2008, 10:36 PM

I doubt it's possible to make someone explode through boring them, though seems Passerby is intent to find out......

:)

dcfcsteve
19/02/2008, 10:40 PM
Steve- don't you accept that the FAI interest in the league has shown marked improvement before there was any word of an AIL? For example prizemoney and TV coverage have hugely improved. To retrospectively attribute this to the AIL proposals seems disingenuous.

It has improved - yes. But they were working from an incredibly low base - it would've been hard not to improve on things. Also - some initial improvement form the FAI was inevitable, as they subtly justified taking control of the league by delivering some early benefits.

But I doubt it's a huge coinidence that they seem to be much more attentive to the league since Platinum appeared on the scene. The comments from the FAI since the AIL was first leaked shows that they are aware they're fighting a rear-guard action.

Only time will tell I guess.

CuanaD
20/02/2008, 2:32 PM

Prizemoney & TV coverage have only increased since SETANTA came into the market - The SETANTA CUP started with prizemoney of €150 for the winners & within months the FAI increase prizemoney for the league winners (from 18k to nearer 200k - not sure of these figures - memory isn't so good).

we had spent YEARS getting RTE to show 6 (!!!) live games a season - INCLUDING Cup Games - then Setanta start showing their Cup Games (& defered games & some league games) & SUDDENLY there is an interest from the FAI in promoting the league through (multiple & regular)live games on RTE & TG4

What I am saying is they have only been REACTIVE up until now - never pro-active:(

Mr A
20/02/2008, 2:47 PM
OK, that's fair enough- but I think if the FAI used Setanta's arrival to get more coverage than previously then more power to them.

But licensing (flawed and all as it is) and the CPO system have been two positive developments for the league introduced independent of this or the AIL being muted. Also I can say that the FAI have been excellent in helping with the Harps stadium move for instance. Sure there's a long way to go, and flaws aplenty, but for the first time I remember things have been showing a real improvement.

It may be that the AIL stuff sharpens FAI focus further- and that's great, but I reckon the biggest problem for the league historically has been the incompetence and short-sightedness of the clubs themselves. FAI indifference didn't help, but to blame the FAI for the league's demise and to give no credit for recent progress seems unfair, and hypocritical coming from clubs who have been their own worst enemy.