Not surprising, I dont expect anything less

finnpark
10/02/2008, 6:05 PM
??????

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2861

I guess this is what they were talking about:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/chaos-close-to-conclusion-1286323.html

In all fairness this country is a joke. Whether its the FAI or our bunch incompetent politicians we are being led by a bunch of morons

NeilMcD
10/02/2008, 6:07 PM
Sorry in this case I think its the Indo that is a joke and Dion Fanning is a joke.

finnpark
10/02/2008, 6:14 PM
Sorry in this case I think its the Indo that is a joke and Dion Fanning is a joke.

Well I never buy it, if I buy a Sunday newspaper its usually the business post as I find teh Indo totally biased in its editing, especially on politics. I think its no better than those dirty tabloids.

Even if the accurate is not accurate what an incredible statement by the FAI on their website. A bit of a rush of blood to the head by someone I would say

NeilMcD
10/02/2008, 6:16 PM
I dont buy it either but you can read parts of it on the Website and the article above by Fanning said that one of the board said "**** the players" if this is untrue the FAI are right to release a statement saying it is bull****. The players seem annoyed as it is so if this was left to fester it could get worse. I say fair play to the FAI in this case for standing up to that rag and a so called journalist in Fanning.

Superhoops
10/02/2008, 6:19 PM
Fanning is an assh*le of the highest order.

How does he know what was said last Sunday? Does he really expect us to believe that someone on the FAI Board of Management told him what was said at that meeting?

With Fanning's reputation of ripping into them, I doubt if anyone from the FAI would pi*s on him if he was on fire, never mind tell him what went on at a BoM meeting.

Typical journalist, if there isn't a story, make one up. If 'it was put to a senior figure in the FAI that the players were mutinous and becoming exasperated with the delays in appointing an Irish manager.' why didn't he name that senior figure? I think the answer is fairly obvious.

Stuttgart88
10/02/2008, 6:24 PM
Dunphy was saying on RTE on Wednesday that there is a media campaign to impose Venables on Irish football. Fanning & Hyland are the main protagonists here.

NeilMcD
10/02/2008, 6:27 PM
Hence the reason for Fanning having a dig at Dunphy. Now Dunphy talks **** a good bit of the time but on this new manager issue he has been spot on most of the time.

Bondvillain
10/02/2008, 6:43 PM
I say fair play to the FAI in this case for standing up to that rag and a so called journalist in Fanning.

Seconded. Generally, I have no time for the buffoons in FAI mismanagement positions, but in this case, Fanning's poison pen has to be blunted, and kudos to them for trying to put a stop to his blantant, blinkered pro-Venables propaganda, which they are apparently alleging has now decended out of the realm of speculation, and into downright litigious lies.

Most Journalists have a favoured candidate, Fanning seems to have the horn for Venables, and it's making his already poor writing take on all the appearance of a lovestruck teenager's fan letter. If the FAI fire a shot across his bows, all the better. Might wake his employers up.

NeilMcD
10/02/2008, 6:49 PM
I doubt that as his Dad is the Editor and his brother is also a journalist there. Its like the Vatican pre Reformation.

Jerry The Saint
10/02/2008, 6:52 PM
"F**k the players," he thundered. "We are the custodians"

Looks to me like the Sunday Independent got their quotes from the FAI mixed up with their quotes from the Cork County Board.

Bondvillain
10/02/2008, 7:07 PM
I doubt that as his Dad is the Editor and his brother is also a journalist there. Its like the Vatican pre Reformation.

There's little family bonding can do when there's potential for an immense libel settlement.

However, It's the indo, so it could go either way. He'll either be fired in ignominy by IN&M, or be made Sports editor-in-chief for life.

OwlsFan
10/02/2008, 7:55 PM
??????

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2861

I guess this is what they were talking about:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/chaos-close-to-conclusion-1286323.html

Talk about appealing to the lowest instincts. An "unnamed FAI source" said F**k the public" on the Saipan affair and "F*ck the players" in the appointment saga. It's just to incite those who don't like the FAI and who don't have the cop on to realise it's Fanning inciting mob mentality.

Dunphy was saying on RTE on Wednesday that there is a media campaign to impose Venables on Irish football. Fanning & Hyland are the main protagonists here.

He is part the media and he supported Jewell who has been brutal at Derby and even worse than Billy Davies whom he replaced. Two journalists and many players want Venables. Not sure if that classifies as "a media campaign".

Looks like it will be the Italian stallion subject to a deal being worked out.

Noelys Guitar
10/02/2008, 8:00 PM
"How did these people get the money to travel over here" FAI official to Kevin Moran in Norway 85 slagging off the fans who travelled out for that game. Lets see if the FAI do sue Fanning. Should be very interesting. NO fan of Fanning by the way.

mypost
10/02/2008, 8:02 PM

You left out Philip Quinn.

misterk
10/02/2008, 8:52 PM
well done FAI. Why should they accept a statement such as that to go unchallenged? Fanning's attempt at generating controversies are embarrassing; appalling journalist.

Scram
10/02/2008, 8:58 PM
well done FAI. Why should they accept a statement such as that to go unchallenged? Fanning's attempt at generating controversies are embarrassing; appalling journalist.

Appalling newspapers, the Sindo and the Herald both. Journalistic integrity doesn't come in to it when newspapers need to be sold.

paudie
10/02/2008, 9:23 PM
Pretty pointless article by Fanning.

Says the process was set up to protect Delaney but he would have been crying blue murder (rightly) if Delaney had been involved.

The media goes on about the "chaos" created by the non appointment but there is no huge rush and therfore no chaos. Our next competitive game is September. I'm sure the new manager will use his DVD player to acquaint himself with our players between now and April even if he is under contact at a club.

Basically a lazy journalist wants to take the easy "FAI are incompetent" line. The FAI ususally make this easy for them but in this case they've done okay so far. If we get Trap they'll have done very well. Not much of a story for Mr Fanning unfortunatley.

good article by Malachy Clerkin in the Tribune today saying the players have a bit of cheek telling the FAI how and who to select after the last campaign they put in. Also saying that once the manager is selected shortly it won't have gone on too long at all.

NeilMcD
10/02/2008, 9:29 PM
is the tribune site down at the moment.

tetsujin1979
10/02/2008, 10:07 PM
Appears to be, yes.

eelmonster
10/02/2008, 11:02 PM
The Sindo and Indo are rags.

gufcfan
10/02/2008, 11:50 PM
Hence the reason for Fanning having a dig at Dunphy. Now Dunphy talks **** a good bit of the time but on this new manager issue he has been spot on most of the time.

Here here

Deckydee
11/02/2008, 7:32 AM

Yes, it seems to be, and for a long time as well

Stuttgart88
11/02/2008, 8:29 AM
He is part the media and he supported Jewell who has been brutal at Derby and even worse than Billy Davies whom he replaced. Two journalists and many players want Venables. Not sure if that classifies as "a media campaign".
Although we both live in the UK OF, I was in Ireland regularly in the weeks after Stan's dismissal. There was an unrelenting, almost evangelical clamour for Venables from certain quarters. Dissenters were cranks or idiots. That was the tone. A campaign to "impose" Venables was exactly what it was.

I've long since clarified my position on Venables - I think he'd be ok and if we exhausted better options then fine. His CV isn't all it's heralded (no pun intended) to be but at least it's a long CV.

Dunphy supported Jewell, in fact I think it was he who suggested him. The strength of his support for Jewell was dwarfed by the support for Venables in certain parts of the Irish media.

CJTheGull
11/02/2008, 8:39 AM
Oh for God's sake anyone with half a brain knows that the Sunday Independent is a tabloid in all but shape and size.

The standard of 'news' and basic journalism in the paper is completely laughable with random z-list D4 'celebs' given carte blanche to rabbit on about anything they feel like so please take anything that's printed in the 'Sindo' with a mouthful of salt lads.

It's a poor reflection on Irish intelligence that it does sell as well as it does but I honestly know of no one that buys it so their readership figures are a mystery!

paul_oshea
11/02/2008, 8:49 AM
i think its cos there isn't any other real contender of an "irish" paper on a sunday. The Sunday Times is the best read in Ireland on a sunday.

I remember someone describing the sindo to me as "she was writing in her diary ( sunday independent ) a couple of weeks ago" in reference to katy french. Thats all it is, a diary for D4 types.

OwlsFan
11/02/2008, 8:49 AM
Dunphy supported Jewell, in fact I think it was he who suggested him. The strength of his support for Jewell was dwarfed by the support for Venables in certain parts of the Irish media.

There is huge support for Venables among ex-players and indeed current players. I haven't seen that many scribes support him, except to quote the players in their pieces.

I hope he doesn't get it, not least because we have to listen to Dunphy sounding off once again against the incumbent manager (like the last 4) and some people saying "Good old Eamon, he calls it as he sees it" instead of realising this is what he does to make money.

Anyway, looks like Trappatoni, money permitting. That said, I doubt if he'd have been interested in the job if we hadn't been drawn against Italy. Hopefully he'll do as well as Big Jack did against his native England.

eirebhoy
11/02/2008, 9:07 AM
i think its cos there isn't any other real contender of an "irish" paper on a sunday. The Sunday Times is the best read in Ireland on a sunday.
A lot of people don't actually realise there's an Irish edition of the Sunday Times.

paul_oshea
11/02/2008, 11:41 AM
ya i meant the irish edition. Do they not?! its printed in cork and full of Irish articles with Irish writers, its really an Irish sport section, with a an Irish main paper, and then the supplements are all the same as England. By far the best paper, Id buy it over here if I wasn't looking for an "Irish only read", they do actually give a fair amount of print to Irish stuff in the edition over here too, not enough though!

zenokelly
11/02/2008, 1:59 PM
Is there anyone on here that doesn't slate everyone in the media? Don't bother reading the stuuff in the media and you'll have nothing to give out about. If it wasn't for the media we wouldn't have a clue what's going on at the moment

jmurphyc
11/02/2008, 2:03 PM
Is there anyone on here that doesn't slate everyone in the media? Don't bother reading the stuuff in the media and you'll have nothing to give out about. If it wasn't for the media we wouldn't have a clue what's going on at the moment

I think it's more about Dion Fanning that people are having a go at. If he doesn't have a source for some of the quotes that he got from the FAI meeting (which I'd say he doesn't) then I really hope the FAI sue him. I haven't read too many of his articles but from the ones that have been linked on here, he really does seem like a moron of a journalist.

DaveyCakes
11/02/2008, 3:16 PM
Well I never buy it, if I buy a Sunday newspaper its usually the business post as I find teh Indo totally biased in its editing, especially on politics. I think its no better than those dirty tabloids.

The Indo is a tabloid.

CJTheGull
11/02/2008, 3:37 PM

Sweeping statement there - it's a free world and if people conntinually write crap then people are entitled to give an opinon on it and correct the untruths published. It is not a police state.

If you don't like it then move to Russia. Back in the 1970's. :cool:

OwlsFan
17/02/2008, 5:42 PM
Fanning's article today in the Sunday Indo is once again quoting unnamed sources in the FAI. That's all he ever bases his articles on :rolleyes:. He is apparently aware that Houllier was the choice of the 3 wise men but amazingly he doesn't tell us how he knows this.

ANyone could make up the greatest load of garbage based upon quotes from "unnamed sources". It defies belief but no doubt many fall for it.

NeilMcD
17/02/2008, 7:28 PM
Also he had to retract what he said last week as it was made up lies. Obiously the FAI one that case with him. Unbelievable stuf

strangeirish
17/02/2008, 11:19 PM
There should be an Independent Inquiry!

Macy
18/02/2008, 8:44 AM
SINDO supports the Bertie, so it's full of FF propaganda about the tribunals.

O'Reilly has a long running spat with Denis O'Brien, so the SINDO goes against the managerial appointment that O'Brien is contributing to.

Such is life in Independent News and Media....

cheifo
18/02/2008, 8:53 AM
A copy of the Sindo is usually lying around our place on a Sunday.Yesterday I read two pieces-Con Houlihan and the ever improving Richard Sadlier.

tetsujin1979
18/02/2008, 9:03 AM
A copy of the Sindo is usually lying around our place on a Sunday.Yesterday I read two pieces-Con Houlihan and the ever improving Richard Sadlier.

Do you still have the paper? Can you confirm who wrote the article 'Trapattoni offers guile but without guarantees'? I thought it was Fanning, but not 100%

cheifo
18/02/2008, 12:29 PM
Just checked Tets and it was written by John O' Brien.

Kingdom
18/02/2008, 12:49 PM
Would the Press officer that was formerly employed by Independent Media be Fanings mole?

OwlsFan
18/02/2008, 1:12 PM
Would the Press officer that was formerly employed by Independent Media be Fanings mole?

The guy doesn't have a mole, unless it's on his backside. It's just an excuse to quote "unnamed sources" to say anything he wants about the FAI without being able to prove him wrong.

tetsujin1979
18/02/2008, 2:11 PM
Just checked Tets and it was written by John O' Brien.
Cheers, thought it was Dion Fanning.

4tothefloor
19/02/2008, 2:03 AM
Dion Fanning is a f**ktard and always has been. His articles are nothing but bulls**t. The Indo is a joke and is now nothing more than a tarted up tabloid. So make of that what you will. The FAI and Delaney are usually easy targets, but not in this instance. A prime example of s**t journalism. I hope the FAI take them to the cleaners, or better still, someone sticks Fanning's pen between his eyes :rolleyes:

Superhoops
19/02/2008, 7:58 AM

I am sure that Gerry McDermott as a former journalist is hugely embarrassed by the likes of Fanning who have dragged football journalism into the gutter.