PDA

View Full Version : Premier League Survival

Pages : [1] 2

cestlavie
10/02/2008, 3:03 AM
Having watched a fair bit Of Premier league football In the last year, Id say from looking at It 3 of the following 4 will be relegated, sorry to say this but It's a harsh reality from the signings Ive seen. Finn Harps, Cobh, Bray and UCD. May the battle begin! No offence to all those teams supporters! Id say I will be attacked a wee bit, time will tell. Fair play, If you stay Up. Oh and by the way, If Derry dont do a wee bit better, what will happen to the Missah? No excuses, coz after last year, now we may have a keeper!:cool:

Buller
10/02/2008, 8:45 AM
Having watched a fair bit Of Premier league football In the last year, Id say from looking at It 3 of the following 4 will be relegated, sorry to say this but It's a harsh reality from the signings Ive seen. Finn Harps, Cobh, Bray and UCD. May the battle begin! No offence to all those teams supporters! Id say I will be attacked a wee bit, time will tell. Fair play, If you stay Up. Oh and by the way, If Derry dont do a wee bit better, what will happen to the Missah? No excuses, coz after last year, now we may have a keeper!:cool:

You dirty *******... How could you? I've supported them since I was .... My dad's uncles nephew died playing for ..... :mad: Oh wait it's ok, we're not there... :)

Anyway I think you're spot on. I'd add Galway into the mix aswell - they dont seem to have improved their squad too much from last year. And they were languishing around relegation...

Pablo Escobar
10/02/2008, 9:29 AM
You dirty *******... How could you? I've supported them since I was .... My dad's uncles nephew died playing for ..... :mad: Oh wait it's ok, we're not there... :)

Anyway I think you're spot on. I'd add Galway into the mix aswell - they dont seem to have improved their squad too much from last year. And they were languishing around relegation...

Reports from their friendly in Blarney against Waterford last night said they're looking good.

Claret Murph
10/02/2008, 9:55 AM
I would say the lads they have taken on board this year are a step up from some of the deadwood we had last year .......

DmanDmythDledge
10/02/2008, 10:32 AM
Bray and Galway won't be relegated- they've both brought in very good players to add to the couple they had last year. Their squads are now big enough to cope with a couple of injuries. I think it's fairly clear cut who will go down, but I'd throw Sligo into the mix as well.

Grey Boy
10/02/2008, 10:38 AM
Hope your right about Brays squad being strong enough. Unfortunately , I feel U.C.D. might really strugle this year.

I'd say 3 from Bray, Galway, U.C.D., Harps, Cobh and Sligo. I don't think Rovers will do as well as last year either but should be a bit away from the rest.

pineapple stu
10/02/2008, 11:16 AM
Bray and Galway won't be relegated- they've both brought in very good players to add to the couple they had last year.
Bray have; Galway haven't.

Three from, in order of likelihood, Cobh, Harps, UCD, Galway, Bray. And you can never tell with Sligo.

gilberto_eire
10/02/2008, 11:53 AM

Three from, in order of likelihood, Cobh, Harps, UCD, Galway, Bray. And you can never tell with Sligo.

How do you know?. Have you seen any of our new fellas play?. I was even bit pessimistic about a few of them at first!!. Adverage age of starting 11 is about 23

JC_GUFC
10/02/2008, 12:18 PM
How do you know?. Have you seen any of our new fellas play?. I was even bit pessimistic about a few of them at first!!. Adverage age of starting 11 is about 23

I thought we were certs for relegation Gilberto! ;)

finnpark
10/02/2008, 12:29 PM

I think you are spot on. Bray look strong enough so Id say the other 3 are hot favs. Galway and Sligo could be pulled into it too though and even Shamrock Rovers could suffer from 2nd season syndrome

Buller
10/02/2008, 12:42 PM
and even Shamrock Rovers could suffer from 2nd season syndrome

Em, no offence but that bull----. We've got one of the sterdiest defences in the league now (i'm not being bias) and are midfield was been improved somewhat. We were up in the top 3 for most of last year. I highly doubt we'll suddenly collapse after bring in better players to an already very good squad. We're looking at a 6th league finish at the very least...

Rocky77
10/02/2008, 12:57 PM
Em, no offence but that bull----. We've got one of the sterdiest defences in the league now (i'm not being bias) and are midfield was been improved somewhat. We were up in the top 3 for most of last year. I highly doubt we'll suddenly collapse after bring in better players to an already very good squad. We're looking at a 6th league finish at the very least...

And Dessie Baker appears to have lost about eight stone. Which is the way he seems to opperates: give him a 2-year deal and he'll work hard to get fit for the first two months and the last two months.

Buller
10/02/2008, 3:23 PM
And Dessie Baker appears to have lost about eight stone. Which is the way he seems to opperates: give him a 2-year deal and he'll work hard to get fit for the first two months and the last two months.

Scully has his whip out... he'll stay fit ;)

sligoman
10/02/2008, 3:44 PM
Harps and UCD definitely going down, other spot is between Bray, Cobh & Galway. We'll finish 6th or 7th handy enough.

Olander
10/02/2008, 4:05 PM
my bottom 5

Sligo
Bray
Harps
UCD
Cobh

DmanDmythDledge
10/02/2008, 4:46 PM
I must have imagined them signing a few players then.

You're problem with Galway is getting very sad at this stage. It's not like people are biting anymore.

SkStu
10/02/2008, 5:00 PM
i reckon UCD go down. I also hope they go down. Most annoying fans by some distance. Nothing team that does nothing for the league.

Cobh to go down also unfortunately.

pineapple stu
10/02/2008, 6:24 PM
I must have imagined them signing a few players then.
They've signed players. You said they'd brought in very good players, which they haven't. The players they brought in were playing in the First Division for a reason.

Sorry for calling you up for talking nonsense. :rolleyes:

Sligoman - LOL at the notion that we're certs to go down while Cobh aren't!

finnpark
10/02/2008, 6:28 PM
my bottom 5

Sligo
Bray
Harps
UCD
Cobh

Harps played Galway away and at home in the cup last year. Draw away and won at home. Harps were much the better side and are stronger this year so I assume that Galway will be in the bottom 4 at least.

Olander
10/02/2008, 6:30 PM
Harps played Galway away and at home in the cup last year. Draw away and won at home. Harps were much the better side and are stronger this year so I assume that Galway will be in the bottom 4 at least.oh god this fella again you should be writing for the sun.

there should never have been a reply, we shouldn't have taken our foot off the peddle at 2-0. you beat sligo last year aswell does that mean your gonna finish ahead of them too???:rolleyes:

http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=81680 wow don't opinions change quickly :D

Schumi
10/02/2008, 6:37 PM
I expect Cobh to sink without trace and any two of Harps, us, Bray and Galway to join them, there won't be much in it. None of the signings for any of the five teams look very impressive, Harps' are probably the best but, as a promoted team, they'd be more in need of improvement. Could be an exciting year!

Schumi
10/02/2008, 6:53 PM
Three straight down.

DmanDmythDledge
10/02/2008, 7:00 PM
They've signed players. You said they'd brought in very good players, which they haven't. The players they brought in were playing in the First Division for a reason.

Sorry for calling you up for talking nonsense. :rolleyes:
This will be my only post about this as it's pointless talking to someone who is completely biased...

Applying your theory anyone that's in the First Division are crap. There's also a reason why they aren't playing First Division anymore...

Gary Deegan, Jay O'Shea played First Division last year? You're the only one talking nonsense...

Leech is a good player who has played for Ireland U21s and is regarded by most people to be capable of being good enough for the Premier Division. McCullough I can't comment on.

DRDoc
10/02/2008, 7:03 PM
In my opinion galway have certainly strengthened their squad. Jay OShea is an exciting winger who had a good season last year with bray - he is well able to beat defenders and has very quick feet - he even got a goal on his debut last friday night - great move by galway by the way.

They have also signed Deegan from Longford - this guy improved immensly last season with Longford and is a dead cert for the next Ireland Under 23 squad - he will improve galways midfield no end

Leech has a lot to prove in fairness to him- he certainly seems to have the potential but so far hasnt done enough with it. Very good at receiving the ball with his back to goal, controlling it, and either laying it off or turning the defender - hasnt scored enough goals in the past but if he can get even 6 or 8 this season i imagine galway will be happy with him. He too scored on friday night - a very good finish - even if there was a good chance he was offside

With OShea and OBrien on either wing Galway certainly will be looking to create a few more goals this season - and if they can manage that and keep their defence at the level it was last year they will be fine. Their centre midfield however is v short on creativeness i think - robson has never really impressed me and while deegan is a v good player to have he wont i dont think create much.

They have quite a bit of pace when attacking - obrien, oshea and glynn - faherty isnt a slouch either

McCulloch from shels also is also a good player - again an improvement for galway -

pineapple stu
10/02/2008, 7:11 PM
Gary Deegan, Jay O'Shea played First Division last year? You're the only one talking nonsense...
Bray fans aren't too pushed about O'Shea going; we've seen that. Rouse is a First Division keeper. McCullough was playing in Scottish Division Two before joining Shels - not good enough. Not sure how you reconcile saying that's a very good signing when you think the eL is English Division Two standard. Leech isn't good enough; I'm basing that on having seen him play for us first hand, as well as the fact that he did nothing much at Drogheda or Bohs.

You're beginning to sound like gufct actually, hyping up Galway to an extent Sky Sports would be proud. Yes, they've made signings. They still won't be far from the mix.

Mental Man
10/02/2008, 7:18 PM
Thats why i didnt bother me about the blues going down this year (2007), with 3 coming automatically down this coming season from the premiere division it gives us a great chance for the club to regroup and make a right go of battling it out for the 1st division title.
I think Cobh, UCD, Harps or Galway to take the drop !!
For 1st division title, its gonna be between us, Dundalk and Shels, gonna be an interesting season in both divisions, i know the Management Committee of the Blues are going all out to make as much resources available to the Gaffer to win the division, and the new facilities at the RSC is an added bonus too to encourage more people to come and see the game despite the weather, in 2002 when we were winning games in the 1st division there was on average 2000-3000 people at home games, so good attendances are possible in 1st division.
Anyway best of luck to all teams ;)

pineapple stu
10/02/2008, 7:20 PM
Have Waterford lost many players this season? Know Delaney's gone, but if youz have kept the most of the team together, youz should have a shot at going straight back. Although Dundalk and, to a lesser extent, Shels (who'll be screwed if they get a couple of injuries) should be up there too.

BrayUnknowns
10/02/2008, 7:34 PM
Jay OShea is an exciting winger who had a good season last year with bray - he is well able to beat defenders and has very quick feet - he even got a goal on his debut last friday night - great move by galway by the way.

Who told you that? He was absolutely woeful for us last season...

Mr_T
10/02/2008, 7:52 PM
I expect Cobh to sink without trace and any two of Harps, us, Bray and Galway to join them, there won't be much in it. None of the signings for any of the five teams look very impressive, Harps' are probably the best but, as a promoted team, they'd be more in need of improvement. Could be an exciting year!

Harps have gone largely full time with their squad, have whats shaping up to be a pretty decent looking defense and Hegarty is a genuis. Its gonna be tough but I'd fancy our chances.

Battery Rover
10/02/2008, 7:59 PM
Thought Galway United looked very good going forward against us on Friday night but very poor in defence especially on crosses

DRDoc
10/02/2008, 8:11 PM
Who told you that? He was absolutely woeful for us last season...

No one told me that - its my opinion based on seeing him play at least 6 or 7 times last season - and he was very good on his Galway debut also - he has bags of skill and v quick feet - didnt get on the scoresheet for bray as far as i know - but scored on galway debut

DRDoc
10/02/2008, 8:14 PM
It seems odd to say it but waterford may well have a better side this season than last I think

gilberto_eire
10/02/2008, 8:26 PM
I thought we were certs for relegation Gilberto! ;)

Go find my post where i say that, thats ludicrious!!. I never said we were going to get relegated!. I said before too that TC was a good scout but does'nt seem to know how to oragnise a team(manage basically)
Why would i ever say we were certs for the chop with the likes of Cobh, Harps, UCD and Bray around?.

gilberto_eire
10/02/2008, 8:29 PM
Hope Galway, UCD and Bray go down - Galway cause they souldn't have been promoted in the first place, UCD cause they souldn't be in the league in the first place and Bray cause they have no support - much better to have the likes of Harps in the top flight

I hope you go down for your spelling of the common word ''Should'';)

Redie
10/02/2008, 8:37 PM
Just a bit of advice for those who think Sligo Rovers will be involved in this season's relegation battle.......

Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

DmanDmythDledge
10/02/2008, 9:06 PM
Rouse is a First Division keeper. McCullough was playing in Scottish Division Two before joining Shels - not good enough. Not sure how you reconcile saying that's a very good signing when you think the eL is English Division Two standard.
I said absolutely nothing about Rouse or McCullough.

Rovers fan
10/02/2008, 9:26 PM

i thought you had already had your last post on the matter! You got sucked back into it!

pineapple stu
10/02/2008, 9:27 PM
Well you should have. They're the First Division players I'm talking about, along with Leech. You can't say a club have added some very good players, and then ignore most of the new signings.

DmanDmythDledge
10/02/2008, 9:38 PM
i thought you had already had your last post on the matter! You got sucked back into it!
That was about Leech, O'Shea and Deegan.;) Just pointing out blatant lies.

pineapple stu
10/02/2008, 9:44 PM
Remind me where Leech played last season?

DmanDmythDledge
10/02/2008, 9:46 PM
http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=874342&postcount=39

pineapple stu
10/02/2008, 9:46 PM
http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=874361&postcount=41

gufc4life
10/02/2008, 9:53 PM
stu grow up !! we will suprise a few this year wait and you will see !!! i cant see your team do much this year??? id worry about your own team then keep going on about gufc!!!!!!

DmanDmythDledge
10/02/2008, 10:04 PM
Missed that.

Rouse will be back up so won't feature much, but if he does he will be dodgy going by what fans of previous clubs have said.

You can't judge player solely on previous clubs. His history does suggest that he won't set the division alight but as of now he's unproven, leaning slightly towards dodgy.

I think that their other three signings are very good and outweigh whatever deficiencies those two have, and are also better than most of the options that ourselves, Cobh etc have.

fbtn
10/02/2008, 10:34 PM
You are all right about Harps. Again. Like last year.

micls
10/02/2008, 10:37 PM
Cobh, Harps and UCD/Galway for me

sfc red
10/02/2008, 10:39 PM
Marc McCulloch is a fantastic player, easily good enough for the Premier. If Leech gets his head right he will also be an excellent signing

Olander
10/02/2008, 10:41 PM
Marc McCulloch is a fantastic player, easily good enough for the Premier. If Leech gets his head right he will also be an excellent signing
no no thats all rubbish, we are " in da mix " (said with a scummy dublin accent)

Con-Con
10/02/2008, 11:45 PM
Galway won't get religated not a chance, their going to definately finish ahead of Cobh, UCD, Bray and Harps maybe Rovers, just maybe:rolleyes:

micls
10/02/2008, 11:50 PM
The more Galway fans post on the subject, the more I want them to be relegated.

3 teams are going down, the whole bottom half of the table will be in the mix.

Cobh and Harps could surprise a few people, and take points, and UCD are old hands at surviving.

Bray look strong to me too.