PDA

View Full Version : Galway United V Athlone Town

ShamTalk
09/02/2008, 9:08 PM
In this thread it is necessary to divide it into two parts; Firstly, on the pitch and secondly, off the pitch.

On The Pitch

The team tried to play football throughout and scored three good goals
Regi is still NOT a full back.
John Lester has lost loads of weight.
New signings will be an addition.
Certainly saw enough to suggest that the team can survive next season.

Off The Pitch

What a laugh!
How could the club justify charging €20 for a Pre-season friendly. Ridiculous.
Announcer was so bad it was not funny. A few examples included saying Nigel Keady had been substituted when he played a full game, the substitute Athlone keeper was never welcomed on to the pitch. Galway United subs were introduced as wearing the wrong numbers.
Went to buy a Galway United lottery ticket and the seller told me he had no change
Some Galway United players entering the game had to put on the jerseys of the players they were replacing.
There were no teamsheets (was not expecting a full match programme) with names and squad numbers which would have been very helpful with so many new signings on display. This coupled with inaccurate information coming from the announcer was disappointing to say the least.

I attended the match with a potential match goer of the future but he was amazed at how sllipshod the whole match day experience was for him.

My frustrations are borne out of the fact that Galway United should be capable of being so much better in making the match day experience more enjoyable.

Con-Con
09/02/2008, 9:29 PM
I couldn't get a lift to the game. But your right charging 20euro was ridiculous.

DRDoc
09/02/2008, 10:04 PM
Regi is still NOT a full back

No he is a central defender . . . .

but looked fine at right back, didnt really do anything wrong did he?

The only thing i spotted was that when the rest of the back four were holding a line or trying to step up slighty he was on a few occasions a yard or two behind the rest - but that comes from being a centre back - and im pretty sure tc and co will have spotted it before - so its merely something that needs to be worked on

Terry-Lander
09/02/2008, 11:24 PM
€20 was a joke but it wasn't very funny. Tony Cousins obviously took the game seriously................he sat in the stand chatting for the first half.

eamo1
09/02/2008, 11:39 PM
is that the new P.A system that they spent 20,000 on??wayyyyyyyyyyy too loud and thus could just make out every second word as there seemed to be an echo because of how loud it was.or maybe bernie or whoever was the announcer just needs to quieten down.
o'shea looks very decent,leech's finish showed class too.some encouraging signs but also some defending look desperate at times against a poor team.
did they win today vrs waterford does anyone know???

Claret Murph
10/02/2008, 6:19 AM
[QUOTE=eamo1;873923]is that the new P.A system that they spent 20,000 on??wayyyyyyyyyyy too loud and thus could just make out every second word as there seemed to be an echo because of how loud it was.or maybe bernie or whoever was the announcer just needs to quieten down.
'QUOTE]

Hell no, turn it up that's what I say , if you know the problems I have to face loud for me is the only way to go .

As for the lotto ticket shame I missed you as I had a bucket full of coins & notes .;)

Patrick Dunne
10/02/2008, 11:39 AM
The admission price was set deliberately to entice supporters to buy season tickets.

The "lotto seller with no change" fiasco is unacceptable.

GuisaSaigon
10/02/2008, 4:38 PM
The admission price was set deliberately to entice supporters to buy season tickets.

Did it work? How many season tickets were sold? If we sold a decent amount of season tickets, I have no problem with it. If not the club should consider a reasonable price for the Limerick game.

corbyeire
10/02/2008, 5:08 PM
your right saigon have they any idea if the saving on 2 home friendlies of 40 euro against the season ticket price of 250 worked - but how would you know the numbers of the punters put off going near the place with it being 20 for a friendly????

geezer
10/02/2008, 7:12 PM
Galway V Clare today in the hurling makes terryland look very expensive mind you you get a seat in terryland

gordongekko
10/02/2008, 7:27 PM
Galway V Clare today in the hurling makes terryland look very expensive mind you you get a seat in terryland

it was 13 and 15 for the stand

GuisaSaigon
10/02/2008, 7:49 PM
United have to pay their players, our taxes pay the GAA lads.:mad:

gordongekko
10/02/2008, 7:58 PM
our taxes pay the GAA lads.:mad:

What?.

geezer
10/02/2008, 8:23 PM
got €40 back

gordongekko
10/02/2008, 8:34 PM
Off The Pitch

Went to buy a Galway United lottery ticket and the seller told me he had no change

got €40 back

The lotto seller must have been working in the stadium today as well

Paddyfield
10/02/2008, 9:32 PM
got €40 back

Geezer, you only look 11, so they probably though you were a kid :D

GuisaSaigon
11/02/2008, 9:25 AM
What?.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/gaa-grant-set-to-cost-other-irish-sports-dear-1252266.html

gufcfan
11/02/2008, 5:47 PM

The "lotto seller with no change" fiasco is unacceptable.

Indeed it is.

Square Heir
11/02/2008, 9:01 PM
is that the new P.A system that they spent 20,000 on??wayyyyyyyyyyy too loud and thus could just make out every second word as there seemed to be an echo because of how loud it was.or maybe bernie or whoever was the announcer just needs to quieten down.

Actually 20k is f**k all money to spend on a PA. A half decent small PA for a pub/band costs about 10k, so in terms of filling an entire stadium with sound, this PA is quite cheap. Incidentally the sound out of it is sh*t (very harsh and thin), but it does the trick, the announcer needs to do a sound check beforehand, I noticed at the friendly vs athlone it was deafening in the old stand, where as you could hardly hear it in the new stand!

Paddyfield
14/02/2008, 9:45 PM
I attended the match with a potential match goer of the future but he was amazed at how sllipshod the whole match day experience was for him.

My frustrations are borne out of the fact that Galway United should be capable of being so much better in making the match day experience more enjoyable.

How did the 'match day experience' at the friendly compare with a typical League game last season, Sham? The Athlone game was after all, just a friendly.

The FAI have strict rules regarding jersies, stewarding etc which are offences that carry fines but I'm sure friendlies aren't monitored, especially when there are so many subs. Also, I wouldn't expect a teamsheet for a game like that.

I agree with you that the whole PA needs to be rectified and yes, it was steep at 20 notes for a friendly.

PS Does the Lotto seller still owe you change?

gufct
15/02/2008, 10:19 AM
To the Athlone fan who says one of his mates paid €70 for himslf his wife and kids for entrance there is a €40 Family ticket on sale at all games for 2 adults and 2 kids which is highlighted on all the ticket outlets.

The problem over the Jerseys is that it was last year strip they were using and they had to have 2 other sets for the Waterford game and the Futsal on sunday.

The PA Problem is being sorted and the people who installed it are coming in to do a full sound check and set the levels for the different areas in the ground.The system is light years ahead of what we have had and the controls had been shifted since we were there last so hopefully now the system will be ok for our ever so hard to please Tuam friend.

Claret Murph
15/02/2008, 10:37 AM
To the Athlone fan who says one of his mates paid €70 for himslf his wife and kids for entrance there is a €40 Family ticket on sale at all games for 2 adults and 2 kids which is highlighted on all the ticket outlets.

The problem over the Jerseys is that it was last year strip they were using and they had to have 2 other sets for the Waterford game and the Futsal on sunday.

The PA Problem is being sorted and the people who installed it are coming in to do a full sound check and set the levels for the different areas in the ground.The system is light years ahead of what we have had and the controls had been shifted since we were there last so hopefully now the system will be ok for our ever so hard to please Tuam friend.

Make sure the turn the volume up GUTCT , hell you know what I am like .

gufct
15/02/2008, 11:09 AM
Im afraid Claret or should it be Clarity i wont be there this evening a wedding has intervened although you never know wouldnt be the first one I slipped away from to see Utd.

corbyeire
15/02/2008, 1:59 PM
GUFCT misses a match - shock horror - and admits to their being others

tommy what is the world coming to?

gufct
15/02/2008, 3:04 PM
Other weddings that I have left to go to Terryland Corby:D

corbyeire
15/02/2008, 7:30 PM
:D:D:D

Good man tommy

Battery Rover
16/02/2008, 3:58 PM

Was in Athlone for a few days and have checked out this and apologies as when I checked out the story I have found out that he was charged only €45. That is still very expensive for a meaningless friendly