PDA

View Full Version : Favourite David Bowie album

superfrank
08/02/2008, 11:00 AM
As I'm not a Beatles fan, I thought I'd start a discussion about my favourite artist's albums. Childish I know.

Bowie's been around for 40 years now so they can't all be great but most would agree 1970-1980 was his best period. Some real gems in there like Diamond Dogs, Station to Station and Low but personally my favourite Bowie albums are:

Scary Monsters - Brilliant album. Imo, much better than any of the Berlin Trilogy. It has a crisp, clean sound and some great songs on it too like Ashes to Ashes and my favourite Teenage Wildlife.

Ziggy Stardust - The album that made him. Very different from SM but just as good. It goes through a whole load of styles and moods but it's still a complete album.

Block G Raptor
08/02/2008, 11:21 AM
Ziggy for me

Sheridan
08/02/2008, 11:27 AM
Low, of course. Don't know how anyone could favour Scary Monsters over any of the Berlin Triptych except maybe Lodger. Few album can have aged less gracefully than Scary Monsters.

jebus
08/02/2008, 11:33 AM
David Bowie is the very definition of over-rated, or at least he should be, even his best of isn't up to much, so take that Beatles Hater :)

superfrank
08/02/2008, 11:39 AM
Low, of course. Don't know how anyone could favour Scary Monsters over any of the Berlin Triptych except maybe Lodger. Few album can have aged less gracefully than Scary Monsters.
The problem I have with Low and Heroes is the instrumentals. The first half of both albums are great but then the instrumentals drag the albums on after that. Some of them are good like A New Career and V-2 Schneider but others are just overdone like Subterraneans and Neukoln.

Of course Lodger is just, well, Lodger although I do like most of it.

Sheridan
08/02/2008, 11:50 AM
The conventional tunes on Low are just the aperitif for the instrumentals. Warszawa and A New Career in a New Town are two of Bowie's best works.

My favourite Bowie albums:

5: Heroes
4: Outside
3: Aladdin Sane
2: Diamond Dogs
1: Low

BohsPartisan
08/02/2008, 11:35 PM
Heroes, Low, Hunky Dory