PDA

View Full Version : Lothar Matthäus

Deckydee
08/02/2008, 10:25 AM
From Chatsoccer.eu

Thursday, 07 February 2008

Lothar Matthäus is the latest in a long line to express an interest in the vacant Ireland managers job.

It may however be too late for the former German international who also managed Hungary.as it is believed the selection panel have whittled it down to two candidates, Terry Venables or Giovanni Trapattoni.

Tonight he privately told a chatsoccer source “I would love the Ireland job, I am available now and believe I am the right man for the job”.

It is not known if he is ready to make contact with the FAI but he is known to be very confident of his ability to undertake the task of leading Ireland to the World Cup 2010 finals in South Africa.

as_i_say
08/02/2008, 10:28 AM
whats his management experience? if that quote is true then its like the first time we have heard of someone who is a legend in the game actually saying that they WANT the job!

passinginterest
08/02/2008, 10:30 AM
I seem to remember his managerial record being the German equivalent of Staunton? I may have imagined that though. Great player.

Scram
08/02/2008, 10:31 AM
whats his management experience? if that quote is true then its like the first time we have heard of someone who is a legend in the game actually saying that they WANT the job!

http://www.chatsoccer.eu/news/index.php/Republic-of-Ireland/Matthaus-a-late-entrant-for-Ireland.html

http://www.chatsoccer.eu/news/index.php/Republic-of-Ireland/Former-Salzburg-coach-looks-for-new-role.html

It says in the article what his experience is. Why haven't he FAI ALREADY SOUNDED OUT GUYS LIKE THIS??

passinginterest
08/02/2008, 10:33 AM
Wikipedia tells me it's not as bad as I thought. He worked with Trappatoni at Salzburg.

Stuttgart88
08/02/2008, 10:34 AM
He was actually mentioned earlier in the process I think and word is, as far as I recall, that he's a headstrong maverick who is prone to the odd tantrum. Open to correction...

Scram
08/02/2008, 10:34 AM
Wikipedia tells me it's not as bad as I thought. He worked with Trappatoni at Salzburg.

Detailed in the post above

http://www.chatsoccer.eu/news/index.php/Republic-of-Ireland/Former-Salzburg-coach-looks-for-new-role.html

amaccann
08/02/2008, 10:35 AM
A bit late in the day to throw his hat into the ring to be honest, regardless of ability. Whatever the true extent of frustration from the players, the length of the process is straining credibility & I'd be surprised if the 3 amigos accommodated any more candidates.

Scram
08/02/2008, 10:53 AM
A bit late in the day to throw his hat into the ring to be honest, regardless of ability. Whatever the true extent of frustration from the players, the length of the process is straining credibility & I'd be surprised if the 3 amigos accommodated any more candidates.

Yes, highly unlikely...you would think....but Trappatoni and Davis haven't even been interviewed yet as I understand it?

Noelys Guitar
08/02/2008, 11:00 AM
Yes, highly unlikely...you would think....but Trappatoni and Davis haven't even been interviewed yet as I understand it?

Now we have snooker has beens being interviewed for the job!

paul_oshea
08/02/2008, 11:25 AM
He was actually mentioned earlier in the process I think and word is, as far as I recall, that he's a headstrong maverick who is prone to the odd tantrum. Open to correction...

ya he is german.

Bondvillain
08/02/2008, 11:31 AM
His last non-related mention was on the 28th of December, when he was unemployed and allegedly being considered for the Bosnian gig & someone suggested he was worth a punt.

I feel the same way about him now as I did then.

http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=845251&postcount=1461

Jerry The Saint
08/02/2008, 11:37 AM
Really, they spoke to him? He's a pretty tricky man to pin down.

Tonight he privately told a chatsoccer source “I would love the Ireland job, I am available now and believe I am the right man for the job”.

What language did they conduct this conversation in...?

7Bq_dkPkQUU

soccerc
08/02/2008, 11:47 AM
Really, they spoke to him? He's a pretty tricky man to pin down.
What language did they conduct this conversation in...?

German ;)

Jerry The Saint
08/02/2008, 11:51 AM
German ;)

Ich nicht lichten! :D

backstothewall
09/02/2008, 11:20 AM
On 11 January 2006, Matthäus signed a one-year contract to coach Atlético Paranaense of Brazil. However, after only 7 matches in charge (5 wins, 2 draws) he quit the club in March 2006 citing the need to be closer to his family. The way he left the club raised some questions about his professionalism. Apparently, only 5 weeks after signing a contract he informed club officials about a need to rush back to Europe in order to deal with an urgent personal problem, but assured them he'd be back in 3–4 days. After missing for two weeks, he faxed in his resignation and never even went back to Brazil to pick up his personal belongings. - Wikipedia

No thanks

bennocelt
09/02/2008, 10:12 PM

Man! Do you have to rely on the net to form your opinions on football, i like to actually watch the game to form mine:(

tetsujin1979
10/02/2008, 2:53 AM
Man! Do you have to rely on the net to form your opinions on football, i like to actually watch the game to form mine:(
Slim to no chance of any of us ever watching a team under Matthaus, so the net is the next best option for information and opinions

mypost
10/02/2008, 6:34 AM

Our lack of qualifications are straining credibility. We have no game until May, and no meaningful match until September. We don't need to find a boss until then, if necessary. If the players think the manager id, and how long he needs to be here, is more important than representing their country, then kindly go away, and let someone else (pref. from here) play for the team instead.

joe_barry80
10/02/2008, 9:46 AM
He's a muppet!! He was only in these jobs on the reputation he had as a player. Trappatoni seen through him at Salzburg and kicked him out. Spends more time on the 3am section of the German newspapers than he does on the back pages.
Got dumped by a 19 year old schoolgirl & model the last I heard. http://www.focus.de/panorama/boulevard/lothar-matthaeus_aid_227823.html

Delbertt
10/02/2008, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=bennocelt;873883]Man! Do you have to rely on the net to form your opinions on football, i like to actually watch the game to form mine:([/QUOTE

Yeah we all get to watch all games Lothar Mathaus manages:rolleyes:

amaccann
10/02/2008, 11:59 AM
Our lack of qualifications are straining credibility. We have no game until May, and no meaningful match until September. We don't need to find a boss until then, if necessary. If the players think the manager id, and how long he needs to be here, is more important than representing their country, then kindly go away, and let someone else (pref. from here) play for the team instead.
I think some of the player's words are being misrepresented, but any impatience for the process to be finished up should hardly be regarded as some kind of treason against the team.

bennocelt
11/02/2008, 7:59 AM
[QUOTE=bennocelt;873883]Man! Do you have to rely on the net to form your opinions on football, i like to actually watch the game to form mine:([/QUOTE

Yeah we all get to watch all games Lothar Mathaus manages:rolleyes:

Yeah but to be touting him as a manager cause you read it from Wikiepedia, now thats a joke:rolleyes:
same with a lot of the posters here, talking about fellas they have only read about, never seen. If only football was played out on the net, its would be great fun, and ireland would win everytime

tetsujin1979
11/02/2008, 9:12 AM
Yeah but to be touting him as a manager cause you read it from Wikiepedia, now thats a joke:rolleyes:
same with a lot of the posters here, talking about fellas they have only read about, never seen. If only football was played out on the net, its would be great fun, and ireland would win everytime
I don't think anyone was using wikipedia to tout him as a manager, looks more like he was using quotes from wikipedia to support or discredit his candidature. The majority of information on this site comes from various internet reports and opinions on games none of us have seen, why do you not discredit any of these?

bennocelt
11/02/2008, 3:33 PM
I don't think anyone was using wikipedia to tout him as a manager, looks more like he was using quotes from wikipedia to support or discredit his candidature. The majority of information on this site comes from various internet reports and opinions on games none of us have seen, why do you not discredit any of these?

I do actually!:)

tetsujin1979
11/02/2008, 4:07 PM
I do actually!:)
So, are you saying the only creditable opinions on the forums are from people who have seen games live and links to reports and opinions posted on the internet are invalid?

bennocelt
12/02/2008, 5:55 PM
So, are you saying the only creditable opinions on the forums are from people who have seen games live and links to reports and opinions posted on the internet are invalid?

So seeing it on wikikepedia and the net is as good as in the flesh? will you be following ireland then via WWW.Livescore, etc?

Suppose you think winning on championship manager shows real coaching ability!!!

tetsujin1979
12/02/2008, 6:43 PM
So seeing it on wikikepedia and the net is as good as in the flesh? will you be following ireland then via WWW.Livescore, etc?

Suppose you think winning on championship manager shows real coaching ability!!!
I never said that a wikipedia report was as good as seeing it live, I said that when you have not seen a game live - as is the case for the majority of the members of the board - then internet reports are the next best thing