PDA

View Full Version : real madrid

cfcgirl
23/06/2003, 11:52 PM
v-del Bosque just fired

tiktok
24/06/2003, 2:41 AM
from www.football365.com

Real Madrid will not offer coach Vicente del Bosque a new contract - despite him leading the club to their 29th Spanish League title on Sunday.

The 52-year-old Del Bosque led the Spanish giants to the Primera Liga title following the 3-1 win over Athletic Bilbao at the Bernabeu, but it has proved insufficient to satisfy the Madrid board.

According to Radio Marca, Manchester United assistant coach Carlos Quieroz and Porto boss Jose Mourinho are the two leading candidates to take the helm at the Bernabeu.

The decision - six days after David Beckham completed his £25million move to Real - will come as a surprise to the Madrid players, with whom Del Bosque is extremely popular.

It was noticeable how every one went to congratulate him on the pitch following the weekend win, which not only confirmed their status as the team to beat in Spain but also added to the coach's list of personal achievements.

He has now claimed two Champions League trophies with Real in addition to the Primera Liga title in 2001 and now again in 2003.

Del Bosque took charge at Real following the sacking of Welshman John Toshack in 1999.

Real have also taken the surprise step of not offering captain Fernando Hierro a new deal, meaning the 35-year-old defender ends a 14-season spell at the club.

:rolleyes: he must be sitting in his villa thinking
"what the hell do i have to do".

What's not mentioned in the article is that Del Bosque was an underage coach at madrid for years before taking over from Toshack (a move that was initially thought to be in a caretaker capacity). He's been a madrid man most of his life, yet he's cast aside despite his popularity with players and most of the fans.
i guess unless the champions league trophy is a permanent resident at the bernabeu the board there aren't happy.

joe
24/06/2003, 3:29 PM
Originally posted by tiktok

i guess unless the champions league trophy is a permanent resident at the bernabeu the board there aren't happy.

think they call that the 'Éanna Syndrome' :p

Real ale Madrid
24/06/2003, 10:57 PM
Getting fired the day afer winning without question the toughest league to win in the world is a disgrace to the game of soccer.

He should sue for unfair dissmissal - I'd say he'd have a great chance.

tiktok
24/06/2003, 11:25 PM
maybe that meeting in paris between wenger and the real boss was a bit of an omen though?????

Colm
25/06/2003, 1:06 AM
Not sure how accurate I am here but I think I heard about 2 weeks ago that Real had offered Del Bosque a new contract and that he had refused to sign until the end of the season, maybe that worked against him.