PDA

View Full Version : Eircom League Supporters Trusts/Groups

higgins
07/02/2008, 12:36 PM
With so many Supporters Trust type groups popping up around the league would any of those involved be interested in a meeting with similar fans in order to discuss their experiences and the way forward for trusts in Ireland?

I know in the UK the supporters groups are in frequent contact with each other and are there to advise each other on potential pitfalls or just with helpful tips on dealing with a football club as a fans group.

Seen as we have so many fans groups around the country all trying to raise money and get more involved with our clubs, maybe now is a good time for a meeting to take place where we can at least exchange contact details and look to establish some sort of regular forum in the future.

In my opinion we're all trying to achieve more or less the same targets so it would be silly for us not to learn from each other.

Is there anyone from the various supporters groups interested in such a meeting ?

If you want to PM me here with your details or get in touch at johncoleman@ssdg.ie we can at least build up a contact list from the various groups.

dcfc_1928
07/02/2008, 12:51 PM
We are launching our Derry City Supporters Trust next month - 4th March.

We have a number of guest speakers coming from Supporters Direct in England, and it might be a good opportunity to talk to them about the Trust movement in Ireland?

http://www.derrycitytrust.org/node/2

Noel Mooney will also be in attendance, as well as (hopefully) representatives from Sligo Rovers' Bit O'Red Trust and Glentoran Community Trust.

If supporters from other clubs want to come along to find out more about Supporters Trusts or to meet the reps from Supporters Direct, just let me know.

DmanDmythDledge
07/02/2008, 5:57 PM
All suporters groups should strive to form a trust someday. Just look at what Galway's trust was able to raise for their club. Also could have the added benefit of having a supporters' representation on the club's committee.

geezer
07/02/2008, 6:56 PM
important also to remember Supporters Trusts are not just another name for a supporters club. They are very different with a completely different ethos and the whole momentum is about getting involved in the club and at the same time maintaining a semblance of independence. Directors of clubs seem to fear them, some associations also have a fear of them but they work pretty well in many countries and it gives support a real say in what happens in their regional club as after all most of these clubs represent their communities, their cities, towns or counties and they shouldnt solely belong to one man or one Vulture capital group. Ronan Coleman at GUST is a staggering example of what can be done this guy should be rewarded at fai annual prizegiving ceremonies yet doesnt seek and wouldnt want any accolades he just loves his club. Learning off each other will give us a serious platform to act with consensus at all times and represent fans in the best way to protect their club the one thing that can stay with you all your life. Your Dog, Girlfriend, Wife, queer one, parents and siblings all depart but the club is there in lonely times, good times, ****e times and tight times. Its what we are, we live, breathe, eat and it keeps us going.

higgins
08/02/2008, 10:41 AM
Well said Geezer!

I've been talking to someone from the Derry City trust and setting up a meeting for us all to attend does seem the best way forward. If anyone else would like to get in touch please email me at johncoleman@ssdg.ie and I'll at least set up a mailing list of all those interested and we can take it from there.

No doubt different groups will have a different take on how they raise money and the extent to which they want to get involved with the club but 90% of what we do should be common ground so there's no reason not to come together in some way.

SSDG up to the end of the 2007 EL season (SSDG being only about 16 months in existence) had contributed over €60,000 to Shelbourne in various ways and now also have a member on the Board of Management. We will of course be looking to improve on that figure for 2008.

I think we could all learn something from each other.