PDA

View Full Version : Journalists/Hack membership of site.

HarpoJoyce
07/02/2008, 12:09 PM
What controls are in place to identify hack /journalists on this site.

There are a number of journalists I am aware of who use this site. And other posters that I am suspicious of. As journalists are able to broadcast through several other media (mediums) of communication, shouldn't at least they be identified on this site

Personaly I would be happy if actions were taken:

Controls on promoting their own articles or articles of the ORGAN they work for.
Other members been made aware who are the hack members and so may keep distance/engage as seems fit.
Questioned as to why they need to even broadcast on this site when they should have a number of other avenues to express their opinions.

superfrank
07/02/2008, 12:15 PM
Journalists are football fans too but any journo that uses this site as a source for "reliable" information shouldn't be a journalist.

passinginterest
07/02/2008, 12:23 PM
I'd agree with superfrank.
I don't think there is an issue with people coming on here and spamming or promoting articles that they've written. Anyone attempting to spam has been banned quickly in my experience.

superfrank
07/02/2008, 12:35 PM
Anyone attempting to spam has been banned quickly in my experience.
That is the common procedure here.

I don't think people should be identified on here just because of their profession. Some of them just want to talk about football with other people and a forum with a chosen user name gives them the anonymity they crave (if they're famous ones).

Not all are here to pimp their work. As was evident in one user, not all of them behave "professionally" all the time.

Sheridan
07/02/2008, 12:39 PM
Most Irish sports journalists are semi-literate buffoons who know nothing about football apart from what they've gleaned from other media sources and seasoned with their own prejudices.

They fit right in here!

osarusan
07/02/2008, 12:46 PM
Most Irish sports journalists are semi-literate buffoons who know nothing about football apart from what they've gleaned from other media sources and seasoned with their own prejudices.

They fit right in here!
You're absolutely right Mr. Myers.

jebus
07/02/2008, 12:59 PM
Alright I admit it, I'm Richard Littlejohn, happy now you Muslim loving, Nazi flag waving, PC liberal terrorist!! :) You couldn't make it up what goes on around here sometimes

dahamsta
07/02/2008, 1:19 PM
What superfrank, passinginterest and Sheridan said.

Journalists are people too. Just.

adam

Wolfie
07/02/2008, 1:20 PM

adam

Reminds me of an old Simpsons quote:

"Ladies and Gentlemen.....and members of the Press".

soccerc
07/02/2008, 1:21 PM

adam

dahamsta
07/02/2008, 1:27 PM
BTW, just to add, The Star is on it's last chance on Foot.ie. If one more article uses unattributed material from Foot.ie, whether it's copyrighted to one of us or one of you, their computer networks will be blocked from the site, and all users with thestar.ie email addresses will be permanently banned from the site.

adam

Jerry The Saint
07/02/2008, 1:49 PM
I'd be in favour of a little banner that says "UNCLEAN, UNCLEAN" on each of their posts ;) Also some type of finger-pointing smiley would be nice.

Ken Early from NewsTalk attributed this site as his source for quotes from the recent Staunton interview on Sky Sports News. I wonder why he didn't also quote NeilMcD's description of him as a

ginger tosser

:)

Bluebeard
07/02/2008, 2:09 PM

Three words too many in that sentence.

osarusan
07/02/2008, 2:11 PM
Three words too many in that sentence.

Most, sports, and semi-literate?

Or do you count semi-literate as two words?

Billsthoughts
07/02/2008, 2:13 PM
:D I wouldnt be surprised if Neil was Ken Earley and his post was just some flann o brien-esque attempt to boost his profile....
seriously the only reason anyone would want journalists identified would be plain old fashioned curiosity.

Rocky77
07/02/2008, 2:15 PM
Nah, Ken Early wouldn't support Bohs, or any Irish club for that matter. Apparently, being their soccer corr means knowing about La Liga.

Useful chap.

osarusan
07/02/2008, 2:18 PM
ok, I admit it. I'm the Japanese correspondent for the Limerick 37 fanzine.

Bondvillain
07/02/2008, 2:25 PM
BTW, just to add, The Star is on it's last chance on Foot.ie. If one more article uses unattributed material from Foot.ie, whether it's copyrighted to one of us or one of you, their computer networks will be blocked from the site, and all users with thestar.ie email addresses will be permanently banned from the site.

adam

Yay! No more embarrassing "Oi! The litle thief!" exclamations when reading the freebie star at lunchtime.

GavinZac
07/02/2008, 2:35 PM
I'm Pat Dolan, though I wouldn't consider myself a journalist, more of an expert feature writer. Pride and passion, eh?

HarpoJoyce
07/02/2008, 6:31 PM
I'd agree with superfrank.
I don't think there is an issue with people coming on here and spamming or promoting articles that they've written. Anyone attempting to spam has been banned quickly in my experience.

That is the common procedure here.

I don't think people should be identified on here just because of their profession. Some of them just want to talk about football with other people and a forum with a chosen user name gives them the anonymity they crave (if they're famous ones).

Not all are here to pimp their work. As was evident in one user, not all of them behave "professionally" all the time.

adam

These opinions are all very well until the individuals have to make a decision and remove a regular poster. In the US Presidental Elections thread in Current Affairs (post #174) Aberdeen Stu quite blantly links an article he wrote without any initial reference that he wrote it. It took a complaint from ......eh me to point it out to mods and they informed AS and he edited his post. If we follow the rule of passinginterest, superfrank and dahamsta then Aberdeen Stu is out on his ear.
If you Spammed, You be Banned.

The fact that Aberdeen Stu remains a poster on foot.ie makes a liar out of the three of them.

But I'm not calling for a ban on Journalists using the site, just that they be identified. To lessen the likelihood of abuses as the one shown. Its good Aberdeen Stu had an oppurtunity to Edit his own post, giving him continued power over his own work. But it shouldn't take a complaint by another poster for this to happen. It is not curiosity which I wish Journalists to be identified but empowerment of other posters to know who they are talking with.

A symbol by their handle/member name would be helpful, as I stated another poster may avoid conversation or engage.

As far as Aberdeen Stu was concerned he had no problem abusing the access he gets on this site to further his own publicity. One funny aspect is that his article is linked in the previous post (#173) by....eh me. Did Aberdeen Stu see this as part of the thread, not at all, he leap to reply to a previous question. No interest in developing the thread just his own publicity.

dahamsta
07/02/2008, 8:40 PM
I'm well aware that Aberdonian Stu is a journalist, and I've never had a problem with his behaviour in the past. This issue was brought to his attention and he's committed not to link to his articles again without noting that he's the author, and to limit it to discussions he's active in.

I have difficulty understanding your position in this HarpoJoyce. It's blatantly obvious that you started this thread before reporting Aberdonian Stu's post on purpose, which seems an awful lot of effort for a relatively minor transgression. You wouldn't have an axe to grind by any chance?

adam

HarpoJoyce
07/02/2008, 10:25 PM
No, no axe to grind. Only that I know and have meet journalists in the past.
Describing them as Hacks is as communal punishment as I get with them. The US presidential Thread (post#174) reminded me of journalists in the community. So I asked some specific questions of Foot.ie

It was only the very Black and White stance which yourself and other posters took on the subject which alerted me to what Aberdeen Stu had actual done ( linking an article he wrote himself). Not much of a coincidence if he and other journalists are doing this frequently.

He broke your own rules. It appears you are not punishing him, as you expressed earlier in this thread, because he is a favoured regular poster. The punishment is too harsh anyway. In this thread you agree with banning journalists for spamming or promoting their articles unatributed and in your last post you describe it as a relatively minor transgression. This may be described as contradictory of journalistic proportions.

You are aware Aberdeen Stu is journalist. I am aware Aberdeen Stu is a journalist. It should be appropiate that other posters also have the right to that information. Other posters should know which posters are journalists and which posters can be trusted.

Journalists welcome the segregation they enjoy inside sports stadiums. I am not asking for journalists to use their real names but that posters are aware whether the other poster is a journalist perhaps through a small symbol on their name.

You have created and continue to manage a very neat football forum. You should be very proud. Don't be afraid to continue to empower football fans.

osarusan
08/02/2008, 12:12 AM
Other posters should know which posters are journalists and which posters can be trusted.

I don't think the two are in any way mutually exclusive. When you say "trusted" what do you mean? Trusted to do what?

I didn't know that Aberdonian Stu was a journalist, and now that I do, I don't care. Previously I thought he was an intelligent and well-"spoken" poster, and I still think that.

I can see that you think his linking an article that he himself wrote is a bit underhand, but I think you've overreacted to it. Having read the thread and the article, it didn't come seem to me as though he was trying to generate publicity for himself. The article didn't seem out of place, and was relevant to the discussion. It was not spam of any kind. Indeed, I doubt many people would even look at the name of the person who wrote the articles which are linked on foot.ie.

You've won a concession from Dahamsta, in that he (and others, I expect) will be asked to specify this fact when linking to an article they wrote. In fact, I think it is a good decision by Dahamsta.

But not everything a journalist says is a reflection of their job or their organisation. To have them identified by some symbol is overreaction in the extreme.

Every poster on here has an agenda, usually to convince other posters that they are right, their opinion is correct. Journalists don't always have to have another agenda.

If people are warned, as you'd like, that a certain poster is a journalist, what would that warning be? "This poster is actually a journalist so................"

dahamsta
08/02/2008, 12:46 AM
I'd hardly call AS's post "spam". :rolleyes:

RĂ©iteoir
08/02/2008, 9:54 AM
we could get harpo to chose the symbol.

he'll probably pick a yellow star or something similar...

Aberdonian Stu
08/02/2008, 9:55 AM
As I said to dahamsta already I do admit that I should have cited it was my work and I apologise to anyone that was mislead and will endeavour to make it obvious in future.

The reason I added the link was solely to aid the query of the individual I was quoting. I knew I had done something on this so I figured it might be of use to them. I wrote the post without seeing Harpo's as I just hit the quote button on the post I was replying to and did not see any further posts responding to it. This was an error on my part and I should have looked on further.

I rarely link to articles I wrote and any I have linked to were in direct relation to the topic at hand because otherwise then I would be spamming.

superfrank
08/02/2008, 10:47 AM
Journalists welcome the segregation they enjoy inside sports stadiums. I am not asking for journalists to use their real names but that posters are aware whether the other poster is a journalist perhaps through a small symbol on their name.
In that case, I want to know if any Gardai are members of this site. They may have an agenda to go out and look for football hooligans who use websites. :rolleyes:

This is supposed to be a site for football fans. It shouldn't be segregated whatsoever. Most of the people who sign up for this website are here to talk about football. Like I said earlier, journalists are football fans too, as are Gardai, civil servants and any other profession that foot.ie users may happen to be.

dahamsta
08/02/2008, 10:55 AM
we could get harpo to chose the symbol.

he'll probably pick a yellow star or something similar...ROFL!

Poor Student
09/02/2008, 5:18 PM
Here's one of the few times I can remember AS linking his own work and he attributed it to himself: http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=740961&postcount=3 .

Magicme
11/02/2008, 10:45 AM
So what about people who are "journalists" for their club. I am the media officer of Mons and write pieces and post them here. Am I going to be allowed to do that? I also write pieces for other newspapers in the form of notes and sometimes articles and match reports.

I am now working for a newspaper, but not in a journalistic capacity, but does that mean I can not comment on things to do with Mons?

Just flagging all of the above so no-one can accuse me of being underhand!!

Bluebeard
11/02/2008, 2:44 PM
I hope the fact that I am reporting back everything that is said here to the Kremlin doesn't preclude me from being involved?

Do I get a Red Star?

dahamsta
11/02/2008, 3:13 PM
So what about people who are "journalists" for their club. I am the media officer of Mons and write pieces and post them here.Our usual policy on content that's sourced from elsewhere is to allow a quote from the piece, with a link back to the original if possible. I reckon the same should apply in this case.

adam /pats bluebeard on the head

Magicme
11/02/2008, 3:51 PM
So does that mean no more posting the Mons notes in full in the Mons thread?

dahamsta
11/02/2008, 4:32 PM
I thought I was being pretty clear there. Are they posted on the Mons website?

EDIT: Actually, to bring it down to brass tacks, do you or they own the copyright? If them, of if they have an exclusive licence to it, you need to ask them. If you, you can do what you want with it.

adam

John83
11/02/2008, 4:35 PM
Our usual policy on content that's sourced from elsewhere is to allow a quote from the piece, with a link back to the original if possible. I reckon the same should apply in this case.
I assumed that was for copyright purposes. Here, the copyright holder wants to post the whole thing, which is legally fine. Do you just prefer to be consistent?

dahamsta
11/02/2008, 4:39 PM
See edit above.

Magicme
11/02/2008, 4:42 PM
I write them so therefore I own them. I update the website, email them to the press at large and post them on here as an extra bonus for people too lazy to go to our site to read them.

dahamsta
11/02/2008, 4:49 PM
I write them so therefore I own them.
Just for the record, that's not necessarily the case for everyone. If someone writes something while in the employ of someone the content doesn't belong to the writer, it belongs to the employer.

If you do it as a favour or freelance it's a different scenario of course, although even that's not clear cut. There should always be a written copyright agreement to cover everyone's ass.

adam

Magicme
11/02/2008, 4:56 PM
oh fair enough! I do it on a voluntary basis but must check that all out! Thanks.

Lim till i die
12/02/2008, 10:36 AM
I write them so therefore I own them.

Easy Tiger!!

email them to the press at large

I was wondering about that eight page spread in the County Edition of the Leader

and post them on here as an extra bonus for people too lazy to go to our site to read them.

I say don't bother.

There's even a link to the website in your sig! :)