PDA

View Full Version : Niall McGinn

Flexy
06/02/2008, 2:57 PM
Does anyone know what Niall McGinn from Dungannon is like. What are his strengths and weaknesses.

Steve Bruce
07/02/2008, 9:01 AM
I have to say, I have never heard of him until recently.

I can't say he has ever shone against Linfield.

Graemerz
07/02/2008, 9:39 AM
Was he once on the books at Windsor or was that Adam McMinn?

headtheball
07/02/2008, 10:15 AM

I saw Niall play against Linfield at Dungannon in a 4 nil win in October and he tore Linfield apart that day. I take it you were not at that game? He had both full backs on toast that afternoon.

Graemerz
07/02/2008, 12:32 PM
I saw Niall play against Linfield at Dungannon in a 4 nil win in October and he tore Linfield apart that day. I take it you were not at that game? He had both full backs on toast that afternoon.

TBH I, myself could tear apart Steven Douglas. :D

Steve Bruce
07/02/2008, 2:03 PM

I was at that game. The one that shone for me that day was the long blond haired guy from Canada(cant think of his name)

headtheball
07/02/2008, 2:43 PM
I was at that game. The one that shone for me that day was the long blond haired guy from Canada(cant think of his name)

Walton he is called. It was McGinn that shone for me that day. I never heard of him before then but followed his progress since then. He scored 1st, hit post in the 2nd half and then set Campbell up for 3rd. McShane couldn't handle his pace and neither could Douglas when he switched.

Steve Bruce
07/02/2008, 3:15 PM
Walton he is called. It was McGinn that shone for me that day. I never heard of him before then but followed his progress since then. He scored 1st, hit post in the 2nd half and then set Campbell up for 3rd. McShane couldn't handle his pace and neither could Douglas when he switched.

Shows you how people see games differently. I might have noticed him at the time, but not knowing his name.

That day, Linfield where shockingly bad. At the moment both of them full-backs have been dropped and haven't been near the team since Boxing Day.

headtheball
07/02/2008, 3:34 PM
Shows you how people see games differently. I might have noticed him at the time, but not knowing his name.

That day, Linfield where shockingly bad. At the moment both of them full-backs have been dropped and haven't been near the team since Boxing Day.

McGinn won the October player of the month in the Irish league on the back of that performance.

On a more serious note can DJ please give mcShane and Douglas a wee run out on the 10th March..:D ;)

Flexy
07/02/2008, 3:39 PM
Stevey will you be coming down to the Brandywell this year for the setanta match

OneRedArmy
07/02/2008, 5:54 PM

McGinn won the October player of the month in the Irish league on the back of that performance.
Interesting.

Steve Bruce
08/02/2008, 8:51 AM
Stevey will you be coming down to the Brandywell this year for the setanta match

Yep. I have been down to the Brandywell last two seasons. It was me and my mate who started the DCFC ahahaha

Steve Bruce
08/02/2008, 8:52 AM
Interesting.

Not really, the only time I ever know who the player of hte month is when a Linfield player gets it as it is posted on the Linfield forum.

This month Thompson has got it, I couldn't tell you who got manager of the month though, although would hazard a guess and say Patterson.

Graemerz
08/02/2008, 12:19 PM
Not really, the only time I ever know who the player of hte month is when a Linfield player gets it as it is posted on the Linfield forum.

This month Thompson has got it, I couldn't tell you who got manager of the month though, although would hazard a guess and say Patterson.

Larne's Graham McConnell got manager of the month.

Steve Bruce
08/02/2008, 3:23 PM
Larne's Graham McConnell got manager of the month.

Well their ya go.
:o

Predator
29/07/2009, 7:28 PM
I wonder will McGinn start to get more playing time this season with Celtic? Wasn't Tony Mowbray interested in him when he managed West Brom? Or was that Paddy McCourt?

dcfc1928
29/07/2009, 8:27 PM
I wonder will McGinn start to get more playing time this season with Celtic? Wasn't Tony Mowbray interested in him when he managed West Brom? Or was that Paddy McCourt?

That was McCourt. But both played against Spurs in Wembley, McCourt started and played well. He was then subbed for McGinn later in the game so there is every chance both will get more exposure this season.

EalingGreen
30/07/2009, 9:44 AM
I wonder will McGinn start to get more playing time this season with Celtic? Wasn't Tony Mowbray interested in him when he managed West Brom? Or was that Paddy McCourt?Revealing that neither McGinn nor McCourt even made the bench last night?

Umberside
30/07/2009, 11:54 AM
Revealing that neither McGinn nor McCourt even made the bench last night?

In fairness McCourt was playing on Sunday and it was unlikely he'd play last night.

Dodge
30/07/2009, 11:59 AM

Bit harsh. Its a squad game and even with 7 subs, realistically only places for 3 wingers in the matchday squad. new manager unlikely to put them straight in at that level

We'll see how they fare throughout the year

eirebhoy
30/07/2009, 11:13 PM
Nah, every player that made the Celtic bench last night more than deserve it on their pre-season form. McCourt was good against Spurs but the others were on the edge of a starting place in the 1st team.

McCourt will make it at Celtic. McGinn has no chance. Extremely limited player, imo.

A N Mouse
31/07/2009, 5:36 PM

Bout as unexpected as the glens not having a fixture to fulfil in the same competition that night :p

third policeman
03/08/2009, 3:28 PM
See McGinn has been called up for NI squad today. Surprised he has made it ahead of McCourt who looks a lot closer to a first team place at Celtic.

Flexy
03/08/2009, 9:32 PM
See McGinn has been called up for NI squad today. Surprised he has made it ahead of McCourt who looks a lot closer to a first team place at Celtic.
Think McCourt is out of the picture now he didnt have a great game against scotland B, i wonder did anything happen with him and worthington during that match

Gather round
04/08/2009, 6:23 AM
Think McCourt is out of the picture now he didnt have a great game against scotland B, i wonder did anything happen with him and worthington during that match

Don't know about McCourt, although I agree it looks odd. Worthy has shown a willingness to throw in kids and Irish League part-timers instead of English D2 regulars on quite a few occasions recently.

EalingGreen
04/08/2009, 10:23 AM
Don't know about McCourt, although I agree it looks odd. Worthy has shown a willingness to throw in kids and Irish League part-timers instead of English D2 regulars on quite a few occasions recently.

Regarding McGinn and McCourt, I think we may be guilty of (incorrectly) comparing them directly with each other, since they both came from Derry and went to Celtic etc.
Whereas I suspect NW may have considered McCourt with a view to his stepping straight into the team, on the strength of his age, experience and undoubted ability, but has since thought better of it (fitness? attitude?).
Whereas he doesn't see McGinn as being First XI material just yet, but perhaps offers the potential to develop into a first teamer in 2 or 3 years time.
In that respect, I'd say McGinn bears better comparison with Ryan McGivern (Man.City reserve) or Andy Little (Rangers 1st team fringe), in that NW looks to be fast-tracking those two in a similar fashion in the medium term?

If so, then it has to be good news for McGinn (and possibly bad for McCourt), since NW knows exactly what he wants (or is plain stubborn, if you're not a fan of his!).

Moreover, with the intense interest he shows in the under-age players, right down to Youth* level, NW is also thinking in the long-term, i.e. even beyond the likes of McGinn, McGivern and Little.

* - Shane Duffy appears to be an example of that long-term vision, I'd say.

ArdeeBhoy
06/08/2009, 7:09 AM
In a Celtic context, what Eirebhoy said.

And based on what a pal from Derry says who knows the family, he doesn't think PMcC. would be obviously bothered in playing for, er, the North.

Whereas NMcG seems to better fit the 'profile' wanted by Nigel Worthington.

Not Brazil
06/08/2009, 8:26 AM
And based on what a pal from Derry says who knows the family, he doesn't think PMcC. would be obviously bothered in playing for, er, the North.

That would be something different to what Paddy himself has said in the press.

For example, he said this after his cameo appearance against San Marino earlier this year:

"Getting the international call-up was a bonus to my season. I'd hoped that I would be given the chance again to play for Northern Ireland but I had to be patient," he said.

"I really enjoyed it and want to win more caps. I'm only 25 so have time on my side.

However, if he isn't bothered, perhaps he will do the right thing and say so - then Northern Ireland move on without him.

Dodge
06/08/2009, 9:13 AM
Get the feeling that McCorut isn't bothered about anything. Could easily see him living out of a whiskey bottle

based on nothing other than scruffiness of course

Not Brazil
06/08/2009, 9:40 AM
Get the feeling that McCorut isn't bothered about anything. Could easily see him living out of a whiskey bottle

based on nothing other than scruffiness of course

:D

But - he's had a tidy haircut.

third policeman
07/08/2009, 7:48 PM
Think you are probably right EG about NW thinking long term. McCourt is such an enigma, saw him score a goal for Celtic reserves last season on Celtic TV where he beat three men on the byline one after the other. It will be interesting to see whether either get much of a look in this season as Mowbray seems intent on playing Maloney and McGeady in wide the positions.

As for McCourt not being bothered about beoing overlooked by NI, it begs the question why did he elect to play for them? He could have done a Gibson.

ArdeeBhoy
08/08/2009, 3:37 PM
As for McCourt not being bothered about beoing overlooked by NI, it begs the question why did he elect to play for them? He could have done a Gibson.

Think it was a question of not being able to when first called up, despite being an Irish citizen.
And also not being deemed 'good enough' by Ireland either....

MariborKev
08/08/2009, 5:37 PM

I am sure one of his family members, who posts on here, will come along and put that suggestion to bed.......

eirebhoy
09/08/2009, 12:32 AM
Think you are probably right EG about NW thinking long term. McCourt is such an enigma, saw him score a goal for Celtic reserves last season on Celtic TV where he beat three men on the byline one after the other.
Is there any match he won't make this type of successful run in? :) He did it twice against Man City today setting up excellent chances. This 2nd one in particular was brilliant. 4 players beaten in an instant. He just does it so instinctively. Didn't misplace a pass all game in his central role. He'd be a star for Northern Ireland if given the chance.

superfrank
13/08/2009, 1:29 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8198628.stm

Just noticed this on the BBC, sounds like he has a future for NI.

Predator
13/08/2009, 12:11 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8198628.stm

Just noticed this on the BBC, sounds like he has a future for NI.
After the Ireland match highlights on RTÉ I caught the last bit of the N.I. highlights. McGinn came off the bench and was the most lively player on the park. Fantastic player with a great attitude. I hope his future with Celtic is a positive one.

Gather round
13/08/2009, 2:01 PM
After the Ireland match highlights on RTÉ I caught the last bit of the N.I. highlights. McGinn came off the bench and was the most lively player on the park. Fantastic player with a great attitude. I hope his future with Celtic is a positive one

Aye, he did well- taking men on from both wings and even dropping deep to pick up possession from the defence.

Unlikely to start in remaining qualifiers, but could be an impact sub.

Umberside
13/08/2009, 11:17 PM
Looks like McGinn has a bright future.

gustavo
12/09/2009, 2:24 PM
Starts for Celtic today

Flexy
14/09/2009, 8:50 AM
Starts for Celtic today
He did really well apparently god Celtic's man of the match, well done and great for Irish football as a whole. Also think the Norn Ireland fans really like him too.

thischarmingman
14/09/2009, 9:13 AM
New Bhoy McGinn hoping for place in Europa squad (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/new-bhoy-mcginn-hoping-for-place-in-europa-squad-1885570.html)
Excellent news, fair play to him for managing the step up so far.

sheao
17/09/2009, 8:26 PM
Ya fairplay to him alright. Hopefully he will become a regular in the starting 11 at Celtic more often this year .

Acornvilla
18/09/2009, 7:37 AM
well hes not to shabby on football manager as irish league players go north and south!