PDA

View Full Version : Dev gives grant to the Orange Order

OwlsFan
06/02/2008, 1:04 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/06/norder106.xml

Seen it all now. If you can't blast them in to a united Ireland, entice them in with grants :D

Lionel Ritchie
06/02/2008, 1:30 PM

Seen it all now. If you can't blast them in to a united Ireland, entice them in with grants :D

Heard about it on today fm yesterday. Was disappointed but shouldn't have been too surprised at the amount of lick-spittles giving out about them "discriminating against Catholics/don't allow women join/sectarian" yadda-yadda.:rolleyes:

Block G Raptor
06/02/2008, 1:35 PM
It's a step forward and all that, but the day i look forward to is the day when something like this doesn't make the news and is just a normal occurrence. TáL

Dricky
06/02/2008, 3:19 PM
It's a step forward and all that, but the day i look forward to is the day when something like this doesn't make the news and is just a normal occurrence. TáL

Couldn't agree more, so what if they get money off the state, if it's there and the Gov has no issue in giving it then it shouldn't raise any issue.

Pleanty of Golf clubs got money and they have a men only membership

BohsPartisan
06/02/2008, 10:24 PM
For a minute I thought this was about Ross Kemp's next series.
Ross Kemp on Orange Men.

dortie
11/02/2008, 7:23 PM

Funding extremists/bigots, you wouldnt catch the UK government funding the AOH.

pete
11/02/2008, 9:10 PM
Money seems to be ring fenced for specific purpose. As long as this spent where it should seems fine by me but then again I would expect the same oversight of any grants.

superfrank
14/02/2008, 3:51 PM
Yes it's great to live in a liberal society and to be free from history and all that but aas dortie pointed out and everyone except Eamon O'Cuiv acknowledged on Q&A the other night was that the Orange Order discriminate against non-Protestants.

pete
15/02/2008, 12:42 AM
everyone except Eamon O'Cuiv acknowledged on Q&A the other night was that the Orange Order discriminate against non-Protestants.

That is like saying Opus Dei discriminate against non-Catholics. :confused:

Lionel Ritchie
15/02/2008, 8:09 AM
That is like saying Opus Dei discriminate against non-Catholics. :confused:

...Or snooker clubs discriminate against Pool and Billiards.

GavinZac
15/02/2008, 10:02 AM
How about we dont give any bloody money to religions, they rake in enough as it is

jebus
15/02/2008, 10:51 AM
How does one go about setting up their own religion and qualifying for those grants is what I'm wondering. Say if you need a certain amount of people signed up to qualify for a grant (2,500 people for a €50,000 grant for example) you could try and get together a group of stangers with the promise of getting €200 for signing their name, or a football club with 2,500 regulars could create their own religion (let's say Derry City Regulars) and could bring down the grant for their religions needs (away trips, flags, etc.).

It's not the craziest scam I've ever had

Lionel Ritchie
15/02/2008, 11:44 AM
How about we dont give any bloody money to religions, they rake in enough as it is

The OO aren't a religion.

superfrank
15/02/2008, 2:02 PM
The Orange Order discriminate against anyone who isn't part of the religion that their members are. Why is the Government giving them grants?

Would the government give grants to a society who discriminated against the gay and lesbian community or one who discrimnated against the disabled community? I doubt it.

The Government shouldn't be giving money to any society/organisation that discriminates on the grounds of religion (including Catholic institutions), sexuality, sex, disability, race or being a Traveller. These kind of rules apply to employment of people in this country so it's a list the Government has already decided on.

jebus
15/02/2008, 2:07 PM
Would the government give grants to a society who discriminated against the gay and lesbian community

No they just give them pay rises*

* Yes I am taking about the government here

Schumi
15/02/2008, 2:17 PM
Would the government give grants to a society who discriminated against the gay and lesbian community... I doubt it.They pay the salaries of teachers in religious run schools

superfrank
15/02/2008, 2:19 PM
They pay the salaries of teachers in religious run schools
1, Kids don't know what they are in primary and most who are gay/lesbian wouldn't reveal it in secondary.

2, Education is necessary. Celebrating one's culture through a society is not.

GavinZac
15/02/2008, 5:10 PM
They pay the salaries of teachers in religious run schools

Relgious run schools which have the power to dismiss teachers on the basis of sexuality, religion or indeed their adherence to certain parts of religion e.g. living with a partner

Bald Student
15/02/2008, 5:21 PM
Would the government give money to an eircom League club that doesn't have a ladies team?

GavinZac
15/02/2008, 5:24 PM
Would the government give money to an eircom League club that doesn't have a ladies team?

Would the government give money to a football club that didnt have a mens team?

Does, in fact, the government give money to any football club directly, letting the FAI take it from there?

micls
15/02/2008, 5:28 PM
1, Kids don't know what they are in primary and most who are gay/lesbian wouldn't reveal it in secondary.

2, Education is necessary. Celebrating one's culture through a society is not.

Schools can fire you for being gay or any other thing that is 'against ethos(religion) of the school.