PDA

View Full Version : Minutes silence tonight

Pages : [1] 2 3

paddy2
06/02/2008, 8:49 AM
I hope all Irish fans can show respect for Liam Whelan tonight.

I know we have idiots who will say that Munich tribute as nothing to do with Ireland but Liam Whelan was an Irish international who's life was tragicly lost on that fateful day and I hope all fans can honour him tonight.

Hibernian
06/02/2008, 9:02 AM
100% agree

NeilMcD
06/02/2008, 9:03 AM
Yeah I was just thinking that myself but to be honest we are just preaching to the converted here.

BaZmO*
06/02/2008, 9:04 AM
I'm sure there won't be a problem. I'd be quite embarrassed it there was. The England match on the otherhand.....

EalingGreen
06/02/2008, 9:26 AM
I wasn't aware that the FAI was also having a minute's silence, but it's a nice touch and I'm sure it will be respected. The IFA is doing the same in Belfast for the Bulgaria game.

I think it's very appropriate, since (NI's) Harry Gregg pointed out in one of the commemorative programmes on TV that it wasn't just well known English players like Edwards and Charlton etc who were involved, but he specifically mentioned Jackie Blachflower (Danny's brother) whose injuries ended his career and, of course, Billy Whelan, so that football in the whole of these islands felt a sense of loss. (Busby, don't forget, was a Scot and his Assistant Jimmy Murphy, though not on the plane, was Welsh)

Greenforever
06/02/2008, 9:34 AM
The minutes silence (which is not mentioned on the FAI website - shock suprise:D) will as always be impeccably observed. Might not be the same at Wembley.

If there is a minutes silence it should be introduced as for ALL the victims and not just Liam Wheelan.

reder
06/02/2008, 9:41 AM
The minutes silence will as always be impeccably observed. Might not be the same at Wembley.

Dont think it will be at Wembley due to that fact that the ground will be full of southerners (Chelsea/Millwall/West Ham spring to mind) and I am worried that the anti-PL bridage here could do the same.

jebus
06/02/2008, 10:33 AM
Dont think it will be at Wembley due to that fact that the ground will be full of southerners (Chelsea/Millwall/West Ham spring to mind) and I am worried that the anti-PL bridage here could do the same.

Munich and the Busby Babes have nothing to do with the nonsense that is the Premiership though so I can't see a problem. At worst there will be people like me who generally don't care about the Busby Babes story (sorry I don't) but wouldn't dream of breaking a minutes silence.

As has been said though, I expect to see tomorrows Sun having a heart attack over Wembley breaking it tonight

Billsthoughts
06/02/2008, 10:34 AM
I am worried that the anti-PL bridage here could do the same.

:rolleyes:
what anti premier league brigade?

spaceghost
06/02/2008, 10:38 AM
i think all football fans realise that the munich crash affected all of football not just man utd, and will be respected accordingly.
i'm a liverpool fan but tonight we will all stand together to remember these young lads who were taken way before their prime.

Block G Raptor
06/02/2008, 11:06 AM
i think all football fans realise that the munich crash affected all of football not just man utd, and will be respected accordingly.
i'm a liverpool fan but tonight we will all stand together to remember these young lads who were taken way before their prime.

Here Here. It's not an Issue. The minutes silence will be observed impeccably at Croker as is always the case at Irish sports events, to even suggest that us non-premier loving fans would Boo or heckle a memoriam for young men who played the game we love is ludicrous. I have no love for the premiership in general and especially Manchester "the big corporation"United but would never dream of booing a minutes silence and anyone who would even think about it needs serious medical help. Now over to wembley where the NHS mental health workers are run off their feet

gspain
06/02/2008, 11:25 AM
Liam Whelan despite only playing 4 times for his country was one of the greatest footballers this country has ever produced.

When he wasn't picked to pick Germany in 1956 (because he had played for Man Utd the previous day) he walked down from Cabra, paid in and stood on the terraces with his brothers to cheer on the team.

I would hope that everyone can respect a minutes silence for one of our all time greats who died 50 years ago today.

reder
06/02/2008, 11:25 AM
Munich and the Busby Babes have nothing to do with the nonsense that is the Premiership though so I can't see a problem.

Agree with you 1000%. If we had teams and players like them and those of their era in the PL, it would be a far far better league in so many ways.

Stuttgart88
06/02/2008, 11:32 AM
in Belfast for the Bulgaria game.
Send us a scouting report if you can pls.

jmurphyc
06/02/2008, 11:51 AM
Send us a scouting report if you can pls.

The game is on BBC NI tonight. I'm taping it myself to see what they're like. Anyway, never heard anything about the minute's silence before this but I'd be stunned if it wasn't impeccably observed.

bohsRap
06/02/2008, 12:14 PM
:rolleyes:
what anti premier league brigade?

You know, that mysterious cult that hates all the premiership and all its players, especially the Irish ones! :rolleyes:

Minute silence will and should be respected by all.

cavan_fan
06/02/2008, 12:30 PM
The game is on BBC NI tonight. I'm taping it myself to see what they're like. Anyway, never heard anything about the minute's silence before this but I'd be stunned if it wasn't impeccably observed.

Is it a full Bulgarian side (e.g. Berbatov and the Ptervos etc) or like the Brazilian C team we are getting

tetsujin1979
06/02/2008, 12:33 PM
Petrov pulled out during the week, other than that I think it's a full strength squad

back of the net
06/02/2008, 1:05 PM

I know we have idiots who will say that Munich tribute as nothing to do with Ireland but Liam Whelan was an Irish international who's life was tragicly lost on that fateful day and I hope all fans can honour him tonight.

i hope all irish fans can show respect for ALL those who died in the munich disaster tonight not just Liam Whelan- no matter what nationality they were - they were all young men who tragically lost their lives and gave so much to the football world

Wolfie
06/02/2008, 1:06 PM
i hope all irish fans can show respect for ALL those who died in the munich disaster tonight not just Liam Whelan- no matter what nationality they were - they were all young men who tragically lost their lives and gave so much to the football world

Well said that man.

Jerry The Saint
06/02/2008, 1:54 PM
You know, that mysterious cult that hates all the premiership and all its players, especially the Irish ones! :rolleyes:

Yep, some of them even support a team from a "pub league" rather than bow down before the mighty Liverpool or whoever.

Denis The Red
06/02/2008, 2:18 PM
Munich and the Busby Babes have nothing to do with the nonsense that is the Premiership though so I can't see a problem. At worst there will be people like me who generally don't care about the Busby Babes story (sorry I don't) but wouldn't dream of breaking a minutes silence.

I don't think there's much you care about Jebus. How could anyone not be moved by that story?
I personally think a round of applause is more appropriate as it would not give the scum who would disrupt a silence any satisfaction and it would be a celebration of legends rather than a mourning at loss of life.

Scram
06/02/2008, 2:31 PM
Who has the right to tell anyone that they should be silent for a minute for something that happened 50 years ago? This is about a corporate giant i.e Man Utd., nothing whatsoever to do with any Irish international. I'm sure a minutes silence 50 years after the guy's death will bring great comfort to the family.

This nonsense belittles the good intention of having a minutes silence close to the death of a player, fan etc. or of recent tragedies like the Navan school bus crash. Not something that happened 50 years ago even if it is in relation to the giant global entity. On the 100th anniversary, will Irish fans be asked to be silent for 2 minutes? What a fcukin joke.

How about a minutes silence for all the dying in Africa who would eat the scraps from Man Utd. fans prawn sandwiches etc. Get some perspective.

Clifford
06/02/2008, 2:39 PM
Petrov pulled out during the week, other than that I think it's a full strength squad

Stelian or Martin? I think Martin is playing. No relation, still no relation..

Kingdom
06/02/2008, 2:41 PM

Boom boom,

Still a poor book though.

tetsujin1979
06/02/2008, 2:48 PM

sorry, should have specified, it's Stilian Petrov, out with concussion: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3111445,00.html

Denis The Red
06/02/2008, 3:12 PM
Who has the right to tell anyone that they should be silent for a minute for something that happened 50 years ago?
No one is telling anyone what to do but if you feel the need to holler and make noise like an idiot then that's more a reflection of the type of person you are.
And to suggest not having a tribute for anything because of what's happening in Africa or because there are other tragedies that happened more recently is simply ignorant.

ruben_sosa
06/02/2008, 3:21 PM
No one is telling anyone what to do but if you feel the need to holler and make noise like an idiot then that's more a reflection of the type of person you are.
And to suggest not having a tribute for anything because of what's happening in Africa or because there are other tragedies that happened more recently is simply ignorant.

if you care so much about a 'tribute' then go out to the mans grave in Glasnevin and lay some flowers, that's a much more symbolic gesture than standing in silence with a hot dog in yer hand for 60 seconds to 'remember' a man you never knew, never grew up watching, and never mourned.

gustavo
06/02/2008, 3:27 PM
Theres a difference between not wanting to make a tribute to someone and respecting others wishes to have a dignified rememberance

beautifulrock
06/02/2008, 3:53 PM
Theres a difference between not wanting to make a tribute to someone and respecting others wishes to have a dignified rememberance

This is the key point, I too have my doubts about the minutes silence and how it has come to pass but now that it has we should respect it. However, Wembley will be a different matter and the FA have take a gamble by going forward with it. Originally the FA wanted a minutes applause but were convinced by Man U to change to a minutes silence.

backstothewall
06/02/2008, 7:42 PM
clapping a plane crash just seems odd

jebus
07/02/2008, 12:12 AM
I don't think there's much you care about Jebus. How could anyone not be moved by that story?
I personally think a round of applause is more appropriate as it would not give the scum who would disrupt a silence any satisfaction and it would be a celebration of legends rather than a mourning at loss of life.

WTF? A bunch of people I don't know died 50 years ago in a plane crash and I'm meant to give a **** because I like football? How many people I don't know have died in plane crashes since then? Should I honour their memory aswell?

Oh and how could I not be moved by their story? Well I read quite a bit, just read a short story about life of a displaced African girl who was caught up in the Ethopian drought and almost starved to death and was quite moved by that. Someone having the misfortune of being on that plane isn't a particularly moving story in my eyes

Rebel11
07/02/2008, 7:49 AM
What kind of Muppet are you? What is wrong with remembering one of the Greatest players that this Island has ever had, and all the young men who lost their lives on that night, They were all football men i dont see what your problrm is.

Scram
07/02/2008, 7:55 AM
WTF? A bunch of people I don't know died 50 years ago in a plane crash and I'm meant to give a **** because I like football? How many people I don't know have died in plane crashes since then? Should I honour their memory aswell?

Oh and how could I not be moved by their story? Well I read quite a bit, just read a short story about life of a displaced African girl who was caught up in the Ethopian drought and almost starved to death and was quite moved by that. Someone having the misfortune of being on that plane isn't a particularly moving story in my eyes

That's called "perspective" my friend, something which most on here are sadly lacking.

Ireland4ever
07/02/2008, 8:08 AM

As a wise man once said if you dont have anything good to say dont bother saying anything i.e shut up jebus.

ifk101
07/02/2008, 8:15 AM
Disappointing to read some of the comments and talk of perspective.

Perspective is the realisation that you were asked to give up 30 seconds of your time to make a small gesture, i.e. a gesture that took less time for you to log in and write your comment.

citizenerased
07/02/2008, 9:24 AM
As a wise man once said if you dont have anything good to say dont bother saying anything i.e shut up jebus.

Was that wiseman you I4E.? jEBUS shut up..i take it you didnt get your dose of attention last night..sure ya dont even support ireland!

John83
07/02/2008, 11:11 AM
The minutes silence (which is not mentioned on the FAI website - shock suprise:D) will as always be impeccably observed. Might not be the same at Wembley.

If there is a minutes silence it should be introduced as for ALL the victims and not just Liam Wheelan.

Some mouth-breather behind me somewhere called "not bloody enough of them" when the PA called out the number who died in Munich. His friends laughed and cheered.

That was the shortest, least silent minute's silence I've ever attended.

Perspective is the realisation that you were asked to give up 30 seconds of your time to make a small gesture, i.e. a gesture that took less time for you to log in and write your comment.
Millions of people are dying of starvation as you sit down to your lunch. Hundreds of millions of people right now have no access to clean water, feck-all to modern medicine, next to none to education. Some (pretty smart) people think the ice caps are melting and we're in for massive flooding and extremely violent weather which will lead to massive displacement of populations, famine and drought in my lifetime. You're writing on an internet forum about football. Your 'perspective' is for idiots.

Billsthoughts
07/02/2008, 11:18 AM
Some mouth-breather behind me somewhere called "not bloody enough of them" when the PA called out the number who died in Munich. His friends laughed and cheered.

That was the shortest, least silent minute's silence I've ever attended.

morons....an anouncement in portugese wouldnt have gone astray. and ejection of any morons shouting stuff like the above.

jbyrne
07/02/2008, 11:52 AM
if a former Irish player from a famous Irish footballing familly cannot be remembered at an Irish football occasion with a bit of dignity then its all up for us really

some of the remarks on here are pathetic beyond words. me thinks there are a lot of bitter people around with petty hatreds that most of us have grown out of (or indeed never had)

gilberto_eire
07/02/2008, 11:59 AM
Did anyone think the Brazilian's were disrespectful enough towards the silence?. Was more then a handful who did'nt observe it either!!

Drumcondra 69er
07/02/2008, 12:01 PM
Did anyone think the Brazilian's were disrespectful enough towards the silence?. Was more then a handful who did'nt observe it either!!

Don't think they knew what was going on to be honest.

John83
07/02/2008, 12:07 PM
Don't think they knew what was going on to be honest.
That was my take on it too. Probably worth keeping in mind for the future - have a pre-recorded announcement in the away team's language about the silence.

LeixlipRed
07/02/2008, 12:25 PM
The Brazilians didn't observe it but there was plenty of fools in the Irish crowd at it as well. Disgrace tbh

Bondvillain
07/02/2008, 12:26 PM
That was my take on it too. Probably worth keeping in mind for the future - have a pre-recorded announcement in the away team's language about the silence.

Spot on. If it was 30 seconds long, I'd be very surprised. The Brazillians were still in party mode after the bouncy national anthem vibe they had going on. A quick translated announcement , or flashing the Potuguese for "A minutes silence for the deceased" up on the screens would have done the trick, and shouldn't really have been beyond the FAI....

ifk101
07/02/2008, 12:41 PM
Millions of people are dying of starvation as you sit down to your lunch. Hundreds of millions of people right now have no access to clean water, feck-all to modern medicine, next to none to education. Some (pretty smart) people think the ice caps are melting and we're in for massive flooding and extremely violent weather which will lead to massive displacement of populations, famine and drought in my lifetime. You're writing on an internet forum about football. Your 'perspective' is for idiots.

Oh well said. You must feel good about yourself. :rolleyes:

The minute's silence was a simple and small gesture - nothing more, nothing less.

But young idle minds do wander ...

jebus
07/02/2008, 12:56 PM

Who said I didn't respect it? In fact I said in my first comment that I wouldn't dream of breaking a minutes silence, I just said I don't really give a toss about people I don't know who died 50 years ago, sorry but I don't, and the chest thumpers came out in force again with their usual hilarious putdowns

gilberto_eire
07/02/2008, 1:09 PM
Spot on. If it was 30 seconds long, I'd be very surprised. The Brazillians were still in party mode after the bouncy national anthem vibe they had going on. A quick translated announcement , or flashing the Potuguese for "A minutes silence for the deceased" up on the screens would have done the trick, and shouldn't really have been beyond the FAI....

In fairness now id say a lot of them were living here or else close by in europe.

Also i don't see any reason why they could'nt tell it was a minutes silence, anyone with half a brian could see what was happening as its a common enough occurance in football. If we were in brazil would we really need an announcement in english to know what was going on?. Not at all!!

ifk101
07/02/2008, 1:36 PM
Who said I didn't respect it? In fact I said in my first comment that I wouldn't dream of breaking a minutes silence, I just said I don't really give a toss about people I don't know who died 50 years ago, sorry but I don't, and the chest thumpers came out in force again with their usual hilarious putdowns

Apologies. It wasn't your post(s) my comments were directed at.

Perfectly understandable that people question the need for the minute's silence. But do we need to quote Robert Frederick Xenon Geldof to voice our displeasure??

Bondvillain
07/02/2008, 1:41 PM
In fairness now id say a lot of them were living here or else close by in europe.

Also i don't see any reason why they could'nt tell it was a minutes silence, anyone with half a brian could see what was happening as its a common enough occurance in football. If we were in brazil would we really need an announcement in english to know what was going on?. Not at all!!

Of course a lot of them were from here or close by. That's pretty much a given. However , going on media reports, and those Brazilian supporters we were chatting to on the way, a huge amount of the kids there had never been to an International football game before in their lives, and even if they had, (no mattter where they live - Brazil, here, Portugal or elsewhere) we'd do well to remember that English is not their first language. (And the brand of English spoken by the FAI announcer is only a tentative relation to the one spoken by everyone else anyway...)

So whether they brought the top half of Brian, or the bottom half of Brian, a courtesy announcement in Portugese would have gone a long way to maintaining the minutes silence.

As I said earlier, they were very much in a party mood (very welcome in what was otherwise a very subdued Corporate / kindergarden Croker btw) and were still whooping and cheering when the stumbling, hesitant, rather garbled announcement was made over the tannoy.
Had an authoritive voice said the same in their own language, I dobt their initial ruckus would have been an issue, as many quietened down when they realised what was actually happening.