PDA

View Full Version : LTFC vs SRFC, any chance of it being off?

RonnieB
05/02/2008, 8:26 AM
As per the thread title, anyone nearer to Longford know if there is a chance it could be called off after all the rain we have had? Don't fancy a two hour drive for nothing ;)

Longfordian
05/02/2008, 11:29 AM
Phone the club on 043 46008 and somebody should be able to tell you what the story is. Not raining at the moment here.

Ash
05/02/2008, 11:57 AM
Raining on and off over her in Athlone.
Not sure if the clouds are going your way though

Maz
05/02/2008, 12:12 PM
Raining here now

Longfordian
05/02/2008, 2:30 PM
Game still on at the moment:

http://www.ltfc.ie/news/article/?id=9411a1f9-2211-4eb8-8141-edf7f73ed515

It's not raining too badly here as yet so hopefully it'll be going ahead.

max power
05/02/2008, 2:34 PM
can someone stick up a report afterwards, cheers.

Martinho II
05/02/2008, 9:35 PM
just back.

town nil shams two

1.shay kelly
2.ryan o donnell
3. ryan casey
4. andy bermingham( from under 21s) local lad
5. ronan frawley
6. luke hardy
7. iarlaith davoren
8. daire doyle
9. dean barrett
10.shane harte
11. noel mcallister
subs: wouldnt have a clue.

town played well for first thirty minutes rovers scored against run of play... second hald awful. we hit the crossbar near the end. the pitch conditions werent great..

the only reason I got the first team lineup is pat collum pro gave this out during the game on printed sheets!!

atfconline
05/02/2008, 9:38 PM
Five ex-Town players there, and I wouldn't be beating down the door to get any of them back. Enjoy Shane Harte especially. :)

Martinho II
05/02/2008, 9:42 PM
ryan o donnell who did he play with before ? am I correct in assuming that he was at galway or sligo?

atfconline
05/02/2008, 9:46 PM
I am thinking Sligo and Kildare, could be wrong though.

sligoman
05/02/2008, 9:48 PM
Ryan O'Donnell was with Kildare, then us, then Galway. Didn't get much chance with us, seemed good enough but got injured in a friendly and never really recovered well from that.

deecay
05/02/2008, 11:16 PM
Any sign of Sean Kelly?

DRDoc
05/02/2008, 11:59 PM
Kelly came on as a sub in second half at left back

The first sub that went on - number 12 I think - was John McNicholas I think

Longfordian
06/02/2008, 12:50 AM
Yeah that was McNicholas number 12. I thought the Town did quite well considering everything, they've only been back training about 10 days or so, first match together for most of them, pitch not in great nick etc. A few lads missing tonight too,Jim Crawford, Alan Lynch, Damien Rushe. By the way,brief match report and new sigings up on www.ltfc.ie .

Ash
06/02/2008, 6:20 AM
Mean to head over to the game but something came up at hime.
I heard Ronan Frawley was at fault for the 1st goal?
Long may that continue :p

Longfordian
06/02/2008, 10:43 AM
Yeah he was but apparently he's only trained once this year due to illness so we'll let him off for now. He was solid enough overall. Young Andy Bermingham beside him was good too.

Tallanted
06/02/2008, 10:57 AM
Thought it was a very positive performance.. Really impressed by ryan o donnell and davoren.. Bermingham had a very solid game too looks a good centre half.. Barrett has la great work rate and great strength could torment alot me centre backs this year.. The difference between the two sides was that rovers took there 2 chances when they came.. We created enough to get a draw but the result is irrelevant.. Pitch conditions werent ideal but we made most of it.. We will get alot of confidence from that type me performance.. aaron and vinnys hard work getting players in looks to be showing.. Fair play keep up the good work

atfconline
06/02/2008, 12:58 PM
Where was Davoren playing? Played up front for us, but I think Galway used him on the wing. You'll get plenty of effort from him, but very little end result if up front.

Biffo in exile
06/02/2008, 1:02 PM
Thought it was a very positive performance.. Really impressed by ryan o donnell and davoren.. Bermingham had a very solid game too looks a good centre half.. Barrett has la great work rate and great strength could torment alot me centre backs this year.. The difference between the two sides was that rovers took there 2 chances when they came.. We created enough to get a draw but the result is irrelevant.. Pitch conditions werent ideal but we made most of it.. We will get alot of confidence from that type me performance.. aaron and vinnys hard work getting players in looks to be showing.. Fair play keep up the good work

Agreed Tallanted - have a look at my "Biffometer" :D Player Ratings below:-

Biffometer
1.shay kelly 7
2.ryan o donnell 8
3. ryan casey 6
4. andy bermingham 6
5. ronan frawley 6
6. luke hardy 6
7. iarlaith davoren 9
8. daire doyle 7
9. dean barrett 7
10.shane harte 6
11. noel mcallister 7

Would agree that we had a lot of the play and for the first 35 mins we were all over them .... The goal was an excellent finish by their No 9 against the run of play ..

The second half was very "fractured" due to all the substitutions, so difficult to see any real measure of the players then.

Iarlaith is without doubt a huge prospect - he was by far the best player on the pitch. Noel Mc showed flashes of very quick feet and his undoubted ability, but needs to get match-fit. He is a bit behind some of the others in that respect. However he, like Iarlaith, could be match-winners.
O'Donnell was superb @ right-back and the other full-back was good as well. The keeper was excellent too, despite the 2 goals against - he also has a huge kick-out on him - always an advantage.
I think that the centre of the team, centre-backs, midfield and centre-forward has a lot more work to do.
The wings will be well covered if the players continue their progress of this game ...

[takes another breath ;)]

And we could have done with being more direct - we were trying to play too much through the middle and getting caught up there, when a long cross-field angled ball would have released the wingers. Alternatively the full-backs and wingers should have been getting to the bye-line more and getting crosses over for Barrett to attack ...

But then it was their first game, (and I'm not the manager :p)

But it all bodes well for a good season in Div 1, and hopefully straight back up !

Maz
06/02/2008, 1:34 PM
So good to see a buzz about the place and the optimism...its great. Heres to a great season

Pauro 76
06/02/2008, 2:10 PM
Got an email from a Sheffield United supporter on Facebook of all things. Think he was very impressed with the Longford welcome. I sent him this way to say hello. Quietly optimistic about this season. I'll be happy with being in the mix for promotion.

Rocky77
06/02/2008, 3:32 PM
They did quiet well last night I thought. O'Donnell looks a good prospect. Dunno what to make of Barrett's brother yet though.

Biffo in exile
06/02/2008, 4:04 PM
They did quiet well last night I thought. O'Donnell looks a good prospect. Dunno what to make of Barrett's brother yet though.

I would agree Rocky77,

Though that Barrett huffed and puffed a lot (literally in some cases :D) but no end product. We'll give him the benefit for the next few weeks and see how he is when match-fit though....

What did you think of our new No 7 ? Excellent non? (apart from a few Ronaldo moments early in the game ;) - he gets a 9.6 from me for the third somersault :o )

Rocky77
06/02/2008, 4:16 PM
Yeah he looked pretty good. He's coming from a full-time set up with Galway last season so you'd expect him to have a bit about him. He never seems to have had a decent run anywhere so a consistent run in the team may just bring him on.

Sonic
06/02/2008, 4:20 PM
From the reports it seems things are starting to come together but i suppose pre season is no real indication of the season ahead. With a whole new eleven tho pre season is important for them to get to know one another. I spoke to one of the players and he said their was a good crowd at it. Hopefully that boads well for the seaon ahead and i also heard we have sold more season tickets then ever before which is great news!!! Hopefully things can start to look up from here on in!!

Biffo in exile
06/02/2008, 8:48 PM
Was anyone here sitting over on the open side of the pitch with the the gang with the drum(s) )?

I use the "Muppets" term in a joking way, as whenever any Shams player went over to take a throw on that side, that gang were shouting like The Muppets / Animal from Sesame Street :D:D

The crowd in the stand with me were all laughing at the "grreeeaaaaggghhhh" shouting from this gang .... :)

max power
07/02/2008, 1:12 AM
Was anyone here sitting over on the open side of the pitch with the the gang with the drum(s) )?

I use the "Muppets" term in a joking way, as whenever any Shams player went over to take a throw on that side, that gang were shouting like The Muppets / Animal from Sesame Street :D:D

The crowd in the stand with me were all laughing at the "grreeeaaaaggghhhh" shouting from this gang .... :)

yo biffo, what part of Biffoland you hale from ??

Biffo in exile
07/02/2008, 7:38 AM
yo biffo, what part of Biffoland you hale from ??

Originally from the metropolis that is Kinnitty ....

Now living in Cork, but please don't hold that against me ;)

Bit of a long commute to home games, but I hope to get to more of the away matches instead ...

RonnieB
07/02/2008, 8:41 AM

A lot of us on here do stand over there. It was one way to keep warm!

Biffo in exile
07/02/2008, 9:29 AM
A lot of us on here do stand over there. It was one way to keep warm!

Sounded like great crack .... :D

Rocky77
07/02/2008, 1:09 PM
How does an Offaly man living in Cork come to follow the good news? Must be the Shay Kelly factor? Or is Iarflaith one of your lot too?

Welcome on board in any case!

max power
07/02/2008, 1:18 PM
Originally from the metropolis that is Kinnitty ....

Now living in Cork, but please don't hold that against me ;)

Bit of a long commute to home games, but I hope to get to more of the away matches instead ...

ah you must have had many fine nights out in Melbas then;)

Bosco
07/02/2008, 3:32 PM
Was there many in section o?

Keen2win
07/02/2008, 4:16 PM
http://www.raydonlon.com/9017/images/00008_town_s-roversfeb08.jpgThat was about it

Biffo in exile
08/02/2008, 8:16 AM
How does an Offaly man living in Cork come to follow the good news? Must be the Shay Kelly factor? Or is Iarflaith one of your lot too?

Welcome on board in any case!

Actually no - I know Aaron a bit thru a friend of a friend ... And have seen Noel McA play a few years ago, so it seemed a logical (?!!!!) one to me :D

I will prob make more away games than home ones to be honest, but really looking forward to the new season ...

Biffo in exile
08/02/2008, 3:10 PM
ah you must have had many fine nights out in Melbas then;)

fine ..... Melbas ..... Not sure that these words should be used in the same sentence .... :D

But sticky floors are my main memory of Melbas .....:p

Usually didn't remember too much about that place - probably for the better ...

max power
11/02/2008, 3:25 PM
fine ..... Melbas ..... Not sure that these words should be used in the same sentence .... :D

But sticky floors are my main memory of Melbas .....:p

Usually didn't remember too much about that place - probably for the better ...

and if i remember a can only bar. I have many memories of gigging there.

Biffo in exile
11/02/2008, 5:04 PM
and if i remember a can only bar. I have many memories of gigging there.

Ahhhh .... I was there when they used to serve pints in real glasses ..... But that wasn't today or yesterday (or even the day before :D)

And also before a knife became the way to settle an argument :(

I (vaguely) remember cans of Bulmers with double Peach Schnapps chasers :eek:

Brain cells haven't fully recovered even after all those years ...