PDA

View Full Version : FAO Estar - your question about junior teams in FAI Cup

LFC in Exile
19/06/2003, 3:26 PM
Two seasons ago a rule was introduced that the four semi-finalists in the junior cup would join the intermediate teams in a first round draw - the winners going into the main draw with the eL teams.

Fairview Rangers are a junior team, just like St Micahels of Tipp and Portmarnock. Some of these teams are as good if not better than intermeidate or LSL/MSL teams. There are no Munster Senior League teams in Limerick. It is just not seen as a viable option because it would involve so much travel - the vast majority of MSL teams are in Cork. It is fairer that teams in locations where there are no senior or intermediate leagues have a crack at the FAI cup and the top four junior clubs are worthy or going in if the like sof Rockmount and Everton are.

There you go now. :ball:

Estar
19/06/2003, 5:29 PM
Just shows the structure of Irish football is crap.

Some one told me the CSL has folded.

Their are over 60 senior teams in LSL. (4 divisions I think).

I've nothing against junior teams, Irish football needs to be changed.

So if I formed a team in the Rosscommon junior league in the morning, I could win the FAI Cup next year:D

LFC in Exile
20/06/2003, 9:23 AM
Well, it would have to be one s hit-hot team. We are talkign about 4 junior teams going in to the draw for the senior cup before meeting eL opposition. Don't see why you think this is stupid. The standard in junior football is quite high in some places. The premier in Limerick has teams that would perform well in MSL or LSL. I played LSL and the standard overall was no better than junior in Limerick. It really is only a name thing.

This is maybe a bit uppity on your part - considering that Kildare County are really only a junior team (Newbridge) in disguise. :)

Estar
20/06/2003, 9:59 AM
Newbridge Town are a senior team, their are about 8 or 9 junior teams in Newbridge.
The cream of the crop in junior would be of a high standard.
I played CSL and when we played junior teams we often had results like 21-0, with our striker getting 13 or more goals. Which is a backward step IMO.
I think teams need to be regraded.
Travel etc is not an issue we live on a island, not Austrailia or the U.S:ball:

Countyman
20/06/2003, 11:03 AM
Apart from being tenants in Station Road Kildare County have nothing to do with Newbridge Town FC. There are completely seperate and will always be so.

I would go as far as saying that both clubs despise one another which is a pity

LFC in Exile
20/06/2003, 4:08 PM
Only slagging lads.

But I don't agree with you points Estar about the non-league set up. Th eteams that are beaten 21-0 etc would not get within an asses roar of the senior FAI Cup so why worry about them. The top four so-called junior clubs should be just as good as their intermediate counterparts. Just look at last years performance of Fairview (junior) beating Dublin City and Glenmore (intermediate LSL) hammered 8-0 by Cork City. I know its only one season but it does speak volumes.

Don't knock the travel effect. Take a Limerick team that was to join MSL, and have to travel to Cork every second week. A bus down, food for the players. You're talking about at least EUR 500 a pop. 10 away games - EUR 5000 before cup matches. That's on top of any trips for FAI matches. This is why these clubs do not go into the MSL. While it is called the MSL really it is only a Cork league.

Estar
20/06/2003, 5:35 PM
What I'm trying to say their should be process in place for a club to enter the EL if they wished (could afford etc, junior intermidiate, senior whatever). Div 1 relegation/re election is a joke. The standrad would improve if this new process came in i.e. All-Ireland Rugby league, rugby is been played in places in Ireland where it was never played to that standard before.:rolleyes:

If clubs have less ambition let them stay their, if clubs want to progress let them.

As long as they meet certain standards and regulations.

The system now leads to stagnation.

Just look at the junior competition it seems to be out of control (standards level, no's of teams).:confused: