PDA

View Full Version : Andy O'Brien

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

NeilMcD
03/02/2008, 3:41 PM
Andy O Brien has retired, Givens just said it on SSN.

What a joke.

eirebhoy
03/02/2008, 3:42 PM
:eek:

That is all.

shakermaker1982
03/02/2008, 4:08 PM
I thought I misread it on SSN. What an absolute clown. 28 and he gives up? Cheers for Cyprus because that is what you will be remembered for. The football world has gone truly mad.

Aaron
03/02/2008, 4:18 PM
Thank Christ. He's ****e!!! Give Darren O'Dea a chance.

JimmyP
03/02/2008, 4:23 PM
I'm guessing there is some bitterness there after being exiled by Staunton. Still, no excuse, really...

Bondvillain
03/02/2008, 4:25 PM
Andy O Brien has retired.

Fair enough. I would like to take this opportunity to offer my own resignation from the Irish football team. So would my 8 year old niece, and so would my cat.

All 4 of us will be sorely missed.

Green Tribe
03/02/2008, 4:31 PM
Fair enough. I would like to take this opportunity to offer my own resignation from the Irish football team. So would my 8 year old niece, and so would my cat.

All 4 of us will be sorely missed.

Now, now, you contribute far too much to the FAI football shop to retire ! :D

danonion
03/02/2008, 4:37 PM
But ... but McShane is so bad... We officially have one centre-half

zenokelly
03/02/2008, 4:39 PM
Bleedin clown. Well I guess it feels better to retire than just be exiled. He's the man! P!ss off:ball:

Bondvillain
03/02/2008, 4:42 PM
Now, now, you contribute far too much to the FAI football shop to retire ! :D

Oi! P off! :D

Jaysus, Givens is going to be furious that the O Brien retirement story was leaked. Sure that's why he called tonight's press conference....:rolleyes:

BradyIsMyHero
03/02/2008, 5:20 PM
Andy O'Brien was a decent guy who did his best for Ireland. Not the greatest ever, but a solid guy. Ok, had a nightmare against Cyprus, but so did lots of others.

Thanks Andy - you gave it a lot

NeilMcD
03/02/2008, 5:23 PM
Oi! P off! :D

Jaysus, Givens is going to be furious that the O Brien retirement story was leaked. Sure that's why he called tonight's press conference....:rolleyes:

He is the one who told the Reporters which I think he should not have done considering he only got the news from a message and not from the player directly

And come on the guy is 28 so less of the thanks Andy. He is ****ing 28, I still cant get over that there are guys younger than me retiring from international football. 28 still cant get over it.

Ireland4ever
03/02/2008, 5:24 PM
Andy O'Brien was a decent guy who did his best for Ireland. Not the greatest ever, but a solid guy. Ok, had a nightmare against Cyprus, but so did lots of others.

Thanks Andy - you gave it a lot

Retiring at 28 he should be ashamed to call himself an Irishman. What is wrong with these players. Never in the history have they had it so easy, pr!cks.

Maroon 7
03/02/2008, 5:30 PM
28 is terribly early. At least Steve Finnan is 32 next month. O'Brien has been playing well for Bolton too.

ruben_sosa
03/02/2008, 5:30 PM

thanks for the memories Andy.
http://archive.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/1999/2/10/166470.html

backstothewall
03/02/2008, 5:32 PM
Is this official???

I can find no news story covering it. He is in the squad for Brazil isn't he?? Will he play against Brazil?? wtf is going on??

Has there been an arguement??

Noelys Guitar
03/02/2008, 5:41 PM
If Givens stays manager a bit longer we will have a real chance of winning the world 5-a-side championships.

the doc
03/02/2008, 5:42 PM

What a joke.

That will give Givens a chance to call in one of his favourites such as Bruce, instead of the more talented St Ledger or O'Dea.

NeilMcD
03/02/2008, 5:46 PM
Is this official???

I can find no news story covering it. He is in the squad for Brazil isn't he?? Will he play against Brazil?? wtf is going on??

Has there been an arguement??

Don Givens said it as he was interviewed on the site of the pitch after training today

kennedmc
03/02/2008, 5:50 PM
This is bullsh!t at 28! Where is his pride in the jersey?

What happened to the days when a international footballer didn't retire, they just didn't get the call.

Stuttgart88
03/02/2008, 5:58 PM
Terrible if true. In his prime, playing the best football of his life too. Why now?

NeilMcD
03/02/2008, 6:01 PM
Its either true or Givens has made an almighty **** up and announced O Briends retirement and got it wrong which would be a big **** up.

Stuttgart88
03/02/2008, 6:10 PM
Sure it wasn't Alan O'Brien? :)

RockofGibraltar
03/02/2008, 6:12 PM
no def andy just watching givens again on sky sports news..he says he got a message saying he had retired but that he stil had to speak to him

boovidge
03/02/2008, 6:14 PM
Why didn't Givens wait until Andy made a statement before announcing this? The professionalism of that man leaves alot to be desired.

As for O'Brien,retiring at 28 is a disgrace.

carloz
03/02/2008, 6:15 PM
All boils down to Staunton here. To say O'Brien was treated **** after the Cyprus debacle is an understatement. To take so long to actually put him back in the sqaud and then have the gaul to come out and say that Bobby Robson, who wasnt in Cyprus, talked him out of picking McShane ahead of him for that game. You dont do that to good honest players and you dont scapegoat a player for a ****e performance from the whole team. Im disapointed as i felt he was excellent in the campaign before the last one and would have been an excellent partner for Dunne.

NeilMcD
03/02/2008, 6:18 PM
Yeah I felted he was treated very similar to Weir by Bertie Vogts at Scotland. However O Brien was not getting his game for Portsmouth so did not deserve to be in the squad at that stage. Now he does and he has not turned up for training today and is rumoured to be retired by the caretaker manager and kingpin and U21 manager and ex Irish international and head of the FAI selection panel. Jesus give that man the job.

Rob_the_cat
03/02/2008, 6:25 PM
They're retiring at 28 now. Only 2 more years to put up with Sheasie so;-)! Seriously I'll always remember Andy for giving Dudo Aouate a nosebleed. Much better comic value than Cyprus. Good luck to him, he always tried. But a call up for Sean Dillon is long overdue. And the likes of Graham Gartland is one of several better defenders over here.

micls
03/02/2008, 6:28 PM
I hope that we qualify for the world cup and these lads have to sit and watch people who actually give a **** get to play for their country on the worlds biggest stage.

Slán

the doc
03/02/2008, 6:34 PM
All boils down to Staunton here. To say O'Brien was treated **** after the Cyprus debacle is an understatement. To take so long to actually put him back in the sqaud and then have the gaul to come out and say that Bobby Robson, who wasnt in Cyprus, talked him out of picking McShane ahead of him for that game. You dont do that to good honest players and you dont scapegoat a player for a ****e performance from the whole team. Im disapointed as i felt he was excellent in the campaign before the last one and would have been an excellent partner for Dunne.

I don't buy that if Stan had wanted to pick McShane to play and was advised not to, then why wasn't McShane on the bench?

shakermaker1982
03/02/2008, 6:36 PM
I hope that we qualify for the world cup and these lads have to sit and watch people who actually give a **** get to play for their country on the worlds biggest stage.

Slán

well said.

Wangball
03/02/2008, 7:00 PM
Retiring at 28 really does show O'Brien for the person he is, as a centre half he'll only be approaching his peak at 28 and any half decent footballer should be looking to display their skills on the grandest stage available to them, O'Brien is a good player but he's not gonna be gracing the Champions League any time soon so realistically International football is the highest level he's gonna get to and he's decided to jack it in....we're better off without him, time for O'Dea, St Ledger et al to step up & stake a place

pete
03/02/2008, 7:16 PM
Good riddance. 28 FFS. :rolleyes:

Qwerty
03/02/2008, 7:26 PM
It says alot about the Ireland setup. He was treated poorly. Why should he bother. Besides he's english.

micls
03/02/2008, 7:30 PM
It says alot about the Ireland setup.
It says more about Andy O Brien to me

He was treated poorly.
Boo hoo. He wasn't the only one, not least the fans. But now there's a new man coming in and he has a chance to prove himself for his country and help them reach a world cup.

Why should he bother.
Seems to sum up his attitude alright

NeilMcD
03/02/2008, 7:38 PM
It says alot about the Ireland setup. He was treated poorly. Why should he bother. Besides he's english.

Come on do you really mean all that.

co. down green
03/02/2008, 7:43 PM
Strange time to retire. Just before the appointment of the new manager.

Clearly has no interest in representing Ireland and to be honest he's unlikely to be missed.

NeilMcD
03/02/2008, 7:48 PM
Is there any truth in the rumours that he felt he was bullied when the players were slagging him about his nose

paul_oshea
03/02/2008, 7:56 PM
ara come on.....

NeilMcD
03/02/2008, 8:04 PM
Its called a joke Paul

paul_oshea
03/02/2008, 8:23 PM
from you?! :P

NeilMcD
03/02/2008, 8:28 PM
now now, lets not get personal.

Diarmo
03/02/2008, 8:31 PM
i think this is a disgrace really, retiring at 28 FFS. I haven't seen it confirmed any where so hopefully it isn't true!!!!!

brine3
03/02/2008, 9:25 PM
The quiet types with professional attitudes are retiring. First Finnan, now O'Brien.

I think they weren't impressed by the whole Mick Byrneification of the Ireland squad under Staunton. One can only guess how unprofessionally the Ireland team has been run for the last two years. The results certainly speak for themselves. I think they spent most of their time partying.

NeilMcD
03/02/2008, 9:26 PM
Just because someone is quiet does not mean they are professional. Its like the whole thing, maybe someoen is shy because they are actually dull.

Qwerty
03/02/2008, 9:43 PM
Come on do you really mean all that.

You know I do. We were very unprofessional under Stan, I would love to have been a fly on the dressing room wall during his team talks. Would loved to hear his thoughts on strategy.

O'Brien was scapegoated along with Kenny for the Cyprus disaster when the blame lay solely with Stan.

I've no idea if he really has retired but the FAI and the senior teams is a shambles right now so frankly why should he risk his club career for Ireland. He is finally getting first team football again and I'm sure he knows which side his bread is buttered.

Noelys Guitar
03/02/2008, 9:54 PM
The first thing the new manager has to do is try convince Finnan and O'Brien to return. We can't afford to be losing experienced players like these with no real replacements.

micls
03/02/2008, 10:03 PM
The first thing the new manager has to do is try convince Finnan and O'Brien to return. We can't afford to be losing experienced players like these with no real replacements.

Strange how opinions differ. I'd rather have u18's, who actually wanted to be there and are proud to be, on the pitch than players who have to be convinced to represent their country

Condex
03/02/2008, 11:09 PM
O'Brien was scapegoated along with Kenny for the Cyprus disaster when the blame lay solely with Stan.

What do you mean scapegoated, he was so unbelieveably sh*t in that match
it doesn't even bear talking about.. Even the passage of time doesn't make it any better..

tricky_colour
03/02/2008, 11:34 PM
Just because someone is quiet does not mean they are professional. Its like the whole thing, maybe someoen is shy because they are actually dull.

So would that be a dull profesional?