PDA

View Full Version : other friendlies

wexfordseagull
01/02/2008, 2:28 PM
we are at home to UCD on sat 9th feb 2pm ko & cork city on sat 23rd at 2pm as well although this ko is to be confirmed see you all there:ball::D

oldyouth
01/02/2008, 11:52 PM
Seagull, don't forget Rover's coming down as well at the end of the month. I hear they are bringing their new ground with them in case the GAA heads steal it when they are away:D

Danny
07/02/2008, 2:02 PM
friendly v pats in ferrycarrig on friday 15th @ 8pm

http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=2017

Footsoldier
07/02/2008, 5:51 PM
And very welcome you will be too! Are you coming down?

We have a nice couple of preseason games this year. All quality opposition. The FAI cup champions and the league runners-up - How d'ya like them apples!!

Pablo Escobar
08/02/2008, 6:56 PM
I might head up on the 23rd, although I've heard the pitch isn't easy to get to!?

KevB76
08/02/2008, 7:27 PM
I might head up on the 23rd, although I've heard the pitch isn't easy to get to!?

Its easy to find as long as you dont miss the turn-off from the main road,
you'll see a small sign at the start of a little country lane on your left,
emergency braking procedures WILL need to be used :D

oldyouth
08/02/2008, 11:14 PM
The key is to find the Ferrycarrig Hotel just past the bridge over the Slaney on the road to Enniscorthy. Pass the hotel on your RHS and approx 500 yrds further on, take the next left. You'll see the flood lights before the turn but don't be tempted to drive straight on as the only enterance is around the back. After that follow the crowd for around a mile and you'll be there.

As KevB76 says, it is a small country road, so take care

Pablo Escobar
09/02/2008, 9:46 AM
Thanks lads.;)

Danny
13/02/2008, 2:07 PM
The key is to find the Ferrycarrig Hotel just past the bridge over the Slaney on the road to Enniscorthy. Pass the hotel on your RHS and approx 500 yrds further on, take the next left. You'll see the flood lights before the turn but don't be tempted to drive straight on as the only enterance is around the back. After that follow the crowd for around a mile and you'll be there.

As KevB76 says, it is a small country road, so take care

Are these directions the same for those coming down the n11 from dublin ?
or will we just go to the hotel and then u-turn ;)

passinginterest
13/02/2008, 2:15 PM
Coming down the N11 you can't miss the floodlights and astro pitches on your right. The turn is a bit further on, watch out for the signs along the side of the road. If you miss the first one you can take the next right too. Just be patient on the back roads. It's further than you think it's going to be and the roads are narrow.

Danny
13/02/2008, 2:20 PM
cheers thanks
looking forward to visiting another new ground

oldyouth
13/02/2008, 5:56 PM
Great to have teams like Pats, Cork and Rovers coming down. Just remember that our facilities are a work in progress. The pitch is perfect, good floodlights, the clubhouse is top-notch and the astro pitches are state of the art. We need to sort out a permanent stand but all in good time. Enjoy the visit

Some very dodgy voices singing songs though and very little progress can be made there:D

ForzaForth
16/02/2008, 1:32 PM
Very impressed by St. Pat's in their 5-1 demolition of the Youths last night. Good crowd attended. 5-0 at half-time so Youths "won" the second half with a Lawlor strike. Inability of Wexford to hold onto the ball was the major weakness and our defence couldn't cope with runners into the box for most of the Pats goals. Hope our remaining friendlies don't go the same way. Thought Gareth Larkin and Conor Sinnott played well.

oldyouth
16/02/2008, 2:15 PM
It was hard to judge where we are at, against such a strong side but a couple of those goals (at least) were of our own making. We've got to track runners, defend set pieces and talk to eachother a lot better.

The biggest problem is having no real outlet up front to hold the ball up and lay it off to supporting runners. Without that, the ball will keep coming back at you in waves and you will never survive 90 minutes of that.

Cork and Rovers coming up next, so hold off judgement to see if we will learn anything from last night.

Is it me or is that place getting colder with every game:confused:

passinginterest
17/02/2008, 5:48 PM
Ant chance of the lineups? Maybe a bit more of a report? Pat's have made some class signings and look very good. No real shame in the result, especially if we can learn from it.

ForzaForth
19/02/2008, 3:11 PM
Passinginterest, Wexford starting 11 was Russell, Hawkins, Russell, Rossiter, Larkin, McGuire (?), Sinnott, Malone, O'Loughlin, Flynn O'Connor and Danny Furlong. Second half substitutes included Stuart Lawlor, Marty Kelly, Kyle Dempsey and Joey Wadding just as the ref. blew the final whistle. Might have missed a few other substitutes. Pats were five up at half-time due mainly to Wexford losing the ball inside their own half. One horror goal was a back-pass from Rossiter to Russell which wasn't cleared and it resulted in a tap into the empty net. Don't think the Pats keeper had any saves to make in the first half.

The second half proved to be much better due, in my view, to the introduction of more physical players like Kelly and Lawlor. Wexford started passing the ball around and JFOC was far better playing wide than Locky who got no service in the first half. Patsy had a brave stooping header from a corner which was well saved by the Pats keeper and, from a later corner, the ball broke to Stuart Lawlor who tucked it away from about 12 yards.

Big gulf in class, though, between the two teams.

passinginterest
19/02/2008, 3:19 PM
Thanks for that!

I've never understood bringing on a sub, especially in a friendly, right at the end of the game. I'd say only about 3 or 4 places up for grabs. We should have a very settled side this year.

ForzaForth
23/02/2008, 10:02 PM
Cork City were narrow one-nil winners at a very blustery Ferrycarrig Park this afternoon. Cork had slightly the better of the first half with their main threat coming down the left and from set-pieces. However, the best chance of the half went to Wexford's Paul Murphy, who found himself clear after a good crossfield pass. His shot, however, got a slight deflection off the Cork keeper's hand and went just past the post. Nil-nil at half time.

Cork created a few chances in the second but Anto Russell made a few saves, one being top class. Cork's goal came from Gavin Doyle not controlling the ball at left back and three passes later, Pa Doyle (substitute keeper) had no chance from twelve yards. George O'Callaghan had made a difference for Cork as a half-time sub.

Wexford were far better than last week against Pats with more physical presence around the park (none of the "little-uns" started). Starting 11 was Russell, Wadding, Rossiter, Lawlor, Sinnott, Doyle, Malone, Fitzgerald, Murphy, Russell and Kelly. About seven substitutes during the second half. Thought the two Russells and Murphy played well.

ForzaForth
23/02/2008, 10:04 PM
Should, of course be Jayo Russell in goal. Crowd was disappointing I thought.

ForzaForth
23/02/2008, 10:06 PM
Should, of course be Jayo Russell in goal. Crowd was disappointing I thought.

oldyouth
24/02/2008, 1:16 PM
Thanks for the report ForzaForth. I'm just in the door having spent yesterday in the big smoke. Dissapointed to have missed the game but it had to be done.
Poor attendance, you say, what was it?Lots of people around town were saying during the week that they were going up:confused:

Glad to see they've plugged a few leaks

ForzaForth
24/02/2008, 8:43 PM
Didn't seem to be more than 150 including the prawn sandwich brigade watching from the bar.

oldyouth
24/02/2008, 10:27 PM
150 is not good alright. Perhaps Saturdays, generally, don't suit the casuals. Then there was the blowy weather, Pool live on Setanta and the rugger buggers on top of that. Next Friday's game against Rovers will give an idea of the crowds we can expect, given that our league games are scheduled for the same day and time.

blackholesun
25/02/2008, 9:20 PM
Next Friday's game against Rovers will give an idea of the crowds we can expect, given that our league games are scheduled for the same day and time.

Should be a fair few Rovers coming down myself included, this is the only bus being run as far as I know http://hoopssc.blogspot.com but Id say a good few people will drive, Id expect about 50-100 Rovers to make it down especially as its the first game between the Hoops and the Youths and our first trip to Wexford.

I spotted Mick Wallace in town last week at a set of lights, he rolled down the window, I told him I was going down and said fair play to him for all he has done for football. Pity there is not more like him!

koh

bhs

oldyouth
25/02/2008, 9:28 PM
I'm looking forward to the game blackholesun. You and your associates will be made very welcome. If you need directions, just leave a post.

Although my da was a Bohs fan, Rovers were the first team I used to go and watch, as Milltown was nearer. Glad to hear you now have a permanent base after all the hassle. I got in to awful trouble on the gaaaah website, An Fear Rua, laughing at the Thomas Davis lot but I can live with the barring order.:D