PDA

View Full Version : Joseph Lapira

Pages : [1] 2

Rocky77
01/02/2008, 11:32 AM
From today's Daily Mail. How bad must this guy be?

IRELAND striker Joe Lapira has failed in his bid to win a contract with SPL side Aberdeen.
The 21-year-old, who was capped against Ecuador last May, arrived in Scotland last week but had to wait until Wednesday to make his debut for the reserves after receiving international clearance.
The Louisiana-born striker, whose mother is from Dublin, lined-up from the start and was replaced after 77 minutes of a clash against Falkirk and yesterday manager Jimmy Calderwood decided against making an offer for the player.
‘Joseph is a lovely guy and got on very well here, but unfortunately we won’t be pursuing our interest in him,’ an Aberdeen spokesman said last night. ‘Playing a game over here in January in really windy conditions didn’t really suit him and we are very disappointed to say that he will be moving on.
‘We would like to wish Joe all the best with his career.’
Lapira’s trial at Pittodrie was arranged by former Dons player Bobby Clarke, who coached him at college level for Notre Dame.
It remains to be seen what striker’s next move will be. Lapira was selected in the 3rd Round of the 2008 MLS SuperDraft by Toronto FC – managed by former Celtic man Mo Johnston – while he was watched this week by a number of Scottish First Division clubs.
‘I talked to [Lapira] on the day of the draft, and I talked to his agent,’ Johnston said. ‘We don’t think it’s a done deal that he’ll stay in Europe.
‘I’m excited about trying to lure Lapira here. We used a late-round draft pick, but I think it is important that we try to get a kid like Lapira to play.’
Lapira had a trial with Rangers last summer, but that was cut short due to a calf injury.

cornerflag
01/02/2008, 12:33 PM
Would there be any EL teams interested in him? Surely its a better option than a 1st division scottish side

Ireland4ever
01/02/2008, 2:21 PM
Sure he's wanted in the US league, which would be a higher level than both. He'll surely go to toronto.

Kivlehan
01/02/2008, 3:45 PM
If he can't pick up in the SPL or the Championship, he should go to MLS.

irishfan86
01/02/2008, 6:20 PM
If they're only going to give him one reserve match to prove himself I wouldn't read too much into it.

Since I follow Toronto FC here I wouldn't mind him going back there, we could really use a striker.

Paddy Garcia
01/02/2008, 8:04 PM
Aberdeen are not known for sound judgement - also I'd not be overly concerned about an ability to perform on a windy Jan in Scotland.

ramsfan
01/02/2008, 9:10 PM
gutted:D

billybunter
02/02/2008, 1:01 AM
'take him up To-ronto, ronto, ronto" Funny how Steve Staunton thought he was good enough to play for Ireland, yet Aberdeen turned him down. Speak volumes for the calibre of management we have just endured for the last 2 years.

Bondvillain
02/02/2008, 1:42 AM
'take him up To-ronto, ronto, ronto" Funny how Steve Staunton thought he was good enough to play for Ireland, yet Aberdeen turned him down. Speak volumes for the calibre of management we have just endured for the last 2 years.

Let it be first said that Aberdeen are not the ultimate judge of character, especially not on a 70 minute performance during a Scottish winter.

Staunton (or his advisors) cleverly played the media card and introduced an American born "Irish eligible" while on a tour of The USA, forever tying him to the Irish cause, and gaining valuable column inches in the US "soccer" press in the process.

Whether Lapira eventually turns out to be as good as his people claimed him to be at the time is debatable; what is without doubt is that Staunton's flag-waving, which gained attention to both Him and us as both a manager and a nation who would reward generational eligibility on a continent rich in 2g's was confirmed.

He, sadly, did many foolish things as manager of the Irish team, but the introduction of Lapira was certainly by far not the most foolish thing he has done.

Colbert Report
02/02/2008, 3:12 AM
I'm no fan of Staunton the manager, but capping Lapira was a smart move. It was a meaningless tour, Kilbane was the only senior player there and we stood to gain or lose nothing by giving a one off cap to a guy who looked at the time like he might be capped by the US national team. He'll likely return to the MLS now and we'll all have forgotten his name this time next year but what did we lose by capping him? Nothing! He could have gone on to become a regular for Rangers or Celtic who were both chasing him at the time. There are lots of things you can blame Staunton for, bringing Jonathan Douglas on away in Slovakia stands out for me, but you can't blame him for how the Lapira fiasco turned out.

billybunter
02/02/2008, 12:10 PM
Let it be first said that Aberdeen are not the ultimate judge of character, especially not on a 70 minute performance during a Scottish winter.

Staunton (or his advisors) cleverly played the media card and introduced an American born "Irish eligible" while on a tour of The USA, forever tying him to the Irish cause, and gaining valuable column inches in the US "soccer" press in the process.

Whether Lapira eventually turns out to be as good as his people claimed him to be at the time is debatable; what is without doubt is that Staunton's flag-waving, which gained attention to both Him and us as both a manager and a nation who would reward generational eligibility on a continent rich in 2g's was confirmed.

He, sadly, did many foolish things as manager of the Irish team, but the introduction of Lapira was certainly by far not the most foolish thing he has done.

understand your point, but i disagree. If Irish caps are bandied around as some sort of raffle prize, or media stunt, then it makes stan look like more of a gob**ite than he comes across in interviews. That entire stunt (in fact that entire tour) were a complete pi$$ take.

Stuttgart88
02/02/2008, 1:57 PM
What age is Lapira?

Given he's in this part of the world it may have been no harm including him in the U21 squad just to keep tabs on him, assuming he's eligible. Match fitness in the US off-season may have been an issue but I bet the thought didn't even cross their minds. It may even have been of use to put him on eLOI clubs' radar.

Paddy Garcia
02/02/2008, 7:22 PM
What age is Lapira?

Given he's in this part of the world it may have been no harm including him in the U21 squad just to keep tabs on him, assuming he's eligible. Match fitness in the US off-season may have been an issue but I bet the thought didn't even cross their minds. It may even have been of use to put him on eLOI clubs' radar.

Including Alan O'Brien and a few others on that tour was far more offensive. Agree with Stutts about the U21's.

tetsujin1979
02/02/2008, 7:44 PM
The most offensive thing on that tour was the amount of players who cried off it for various reasons that appeared right after they were called into the squad for the tour.
Compare and contrast with the players who were called up, and took the opportunity with both hands - O'Halloran, Long and Potter all emerged with reputations enhanced

Blue-Army
04/02/2008, 12:00 PM
I'm no fan of Staunton the manager, but capping Lapira was a smart move. It was a meaningless tour, Kilbane was the only senior player there and we stood to gain or lose nothing by giving a one off cap to a guy who looked at the time like he might be capped by the US national team. He'll likely return to the MLS now and we'll all have forgotten his name this time next year but what did we lose by capping him? Nothing! He could have gone on to become a regular for Rangers or Celtic who were both chasing him at the time. There are lots of things you can blame Staunton for, bringing Jonathan Douglas on away in Slovakia stands out for me, but you can't blame him for how the Lapira fiasco turned out.
I agree completely...but only because it was almost a 'b' international. I don't see anyone complaining about Darren Potter captaining the side for that tour...and what about Joe O'Ceariull...its not as if he's ever going to play for the senior team either! A Barnet and League 2 reject.

Postman
05/02/2008, 10:15 AM

Why were these column inches "valuable"? It's not an eircom league outfit begging for media exposure, it's the Irish national team who probably get more media exposure than they need.

And what are you talking about in that final paragraph? 2g's?

GavinZac
05/02/2008, 11:30 AM
Staunton (or his advisors) cleverly played the media card and introduced an American born "Irish eligible" while on a tour of The USA, forever tying him to the Irish cause, and gaining valuable column inches in the US "soccer" press in the process.Right.

Wait, why is that clever? What was the benefit?

Bondvillain
05/02/2008, 11:38 AM
Why were these column inches "valuable"? It's not an eircom league outfit begging for media exposure, it's the Irish national team who probably get more media exposure than they need.

And what are you talking about in that final paragraph? 2g's?

Hello. Nice to meet you too. What a nice friendly tone you have. I'll only be delighted to answer your questions as they've been posed in such a warm manner.

1. These column inches were "Valuable" on two fronts. Firstly: The Lapira coverage was valuable to the FAI, as otherwise they may have found it difficult to generate interest in the USA for a team sadly bereft of players who would be considered Household names in Ireland, never mind America, and secondly: any coverage of football in the states that doesn't include the word "Beckham" in the text is a worthwhile tool in increasing the game's profile there.

The reason that raising the game's profile could be considered beneficial leads me nicely onto your second demand.

2. 2g's is shorthand for second generation. (In this case, I was referring to second generation Irish domiciled in the United States) I figured the reference to "rewarding generational eligibility" may have given folk who may not have initially known it's meaning some clue , but I was obviously wrong.

As you may be aware, there are a considerable amount of Irish in America.
Some of these play football. (the proper "no hands" type)
Some of these may be eligible for Ireland.
Some of these may actually be "good at football".
We are not so rich in resources that we can afford to discount any decent player who considers himself Irish and is willing to commit to the cause, so it's best we get their attention early. The best way to get American kids attention is to get on TV and in magazines. Job done with selecting Lapira.

Did he set the world on fire? He did not.
Did he raise awareness of Ireland as a Small nation who may consider second generation Irish Americans for selection in World Football? Possibly. We'll find out in a few years.

Anyway, feel free to bring your sunny disposition around for a cup of tea and a chat anytime.

billybunter
05/02/2008, 12:45 PM
The most offensive thing on that tour was the amount of players who cried off it for various reasons that appeared right after they were called into the squad for the tour.
Compare and contrast with the players who were called up, and took the opportunity with both hands - O'Halloran, Long and Potter all emerged with reputations enhanced

agreee tets, could only make the Bolivia game, but thought O halloran and long were excellent. Looking forward to seeing O halloran this afternoon against england.

Postman
06/02/2008, 1:29 PM
Hello. Nice to meet you too. What a nice friendly tone you have. I'll only be delighted to answer your questions as they've been posed in such a warm manner.

1. These column inches were "Valuable" on two fronts. Firstly: The Lapira coverage was valuable to the FAI, as otherwise they may have found it difficult to generate interest in the USA for a team sadly bereft of players who would be considered Household names in Ireland, never mind America, and secondly: any coverage of football in the states that doesn't include the word "Beckham" in the text is a worthwhile tool in increasing the game's profile there.

The reason that raising the game's profile could be considered beneficial leads me nicely onto your second demand.

2. 2g's is shorthand for second generation. (In this case, I was referring to second generation Irish domiciled in the United States) I figured the reference to "rewarding generational eligibility" may have given folk who may not have initially known it's meaning some clue , but I was obviously wrong.

As you may be aware, there are a considerable amount of Irish in America.
Some of these play football. (the proper "no hands" type)
Some of these may be eligible for Ireland.
Some of these may actually be "good at football".
We are not so rich in resources that we can afford to discount any decent player who considers himself Irish and is willing to commit to the cause, so it's best we get their attention early. The best way to get American kids attention is to get on TV and in magazines. Job done with selecting Lapira.

Did he set the world on fire? He did not.
Did he raise awareness of Ireland as a Small nation who may consider second generation Irish Americans for selection in World Football? Possibly. We'll find out in a few years.

Anyway, feel free to bring your sunny disposition around for a cup of tea and a chat anytime.

Apologies if my disposition isn't soo sunny. I've just never been a fan of putting a gloss on something that doesn't deserve it.

The only way your point of view makes sense is if you're an ex-pat or a "2g" yourself, in which case it's admirable but nevertheless wrong. Promoting "soccer" in the US was not part of Staunton's remit. He left players at home who deserved to play far more than Lapira. Furthermore, the popularity or general interest that the tour generated shouldn't have been of any interest to Staunton. He wasn't on the Marketing commitee, he was the Irish manager.

Sending out some form of message to "2gs" wasn't in his remit either. I honestly can't think of any reason why we need to promote ourselves to 2g's in the US. Historically we haven't had one US born player line out for Ireland. Are you suggesting that this should be our new focus? I disagree. I'd go LOI before I'd even begin to scour America. I'd laugh if Lapira ended up in the LOI, a year after making his international debut. It wouldn't be a bad move IMO. It may actually be his best hope of getting a pro contract in the UK but ironically it would probably be curtains for his international career.

osarusan
06/02/2008, 2:07 PM
Sending out some form of message to "2gs" wasn't in his remit either. I honestly can't think of any reason why we need to promote ourselves to 2g's in the US. Historically we haven't had one US born player line out for Ireland. Are you suggesting that this should be our new focus? I disagree. I'd go LOI before I'd even begin to scour America. I'd laugh if Lapira ended up in the LOI, a year after making his international debut. It wouldn't be a bad move IMO. It may actually be his best hope of getting a pro contract in the UK but ironically it would probably be curtains for his international career.

What did it cost the Irish team to have Lapira play for a few minutes in a meaningless game? What did it cost the FAI? - Nothing.
Nobody is suggesting it is, or should be the focus of anything.

As Bondvillain said, the little bit of accompanying media focus could have awoken a desire in talented Irish-Americans youngsters to check out their roots one more time. It is a long shot, I'll grant you, but nothing was lost by it. And at the time, who knew? Lapira might actually have been a half-decent player. Isn't a meaningless tour the best time to try out some 'prospects'. Remember there were a few international players who didn't even want to go on this tour, such was the low esteem in which it was held.

Metrostars
06/02/2008, 2:43 PM
Stan heard that the player voted the best college player in the US was eligible for Ireland. Other players such as McBride(btw would'nt love to have him up top?) have won this in the past so Stan decided to cap him in the off chance he might come good. Simple as that. Are other players more "deserving" of a cap? Probably, but it's a gamble Stan took and maybe it will pay off. Or maybe it won't.

In any case he could be headed back to Toronto.

Postman
07/02/2008, 10:07 AM
Purely as a matter of interest, if Lapira was winning college MVP, why wasn't he previously capped for the US?

Metrostars
07/02/2008, 1:39 PM
Purely as a matter of interest, if Lapira was winning college MVP, why wasn't he previously capped for the US?

He is a bit of a late bloomer so he was never called up for the US underage teams. Plus the US underage teams are somewhat political, meaning one they select a kid at U-16 or so, they will tend to stick with him through U-17, U-19, U-21 and so on. A number of players have slipped through without ever being capped at underage level for the US e.g. Demerit(Watford) and Castillo(Santo in Mexico) because of this. Also, the US has a number of better players around the same age who play the same position e.g. Eddie Johnson, Altidore, Adu.

Kivlehan
10/02/2008, 12:22 AM
I would if Leeds would be a fit for him, now that Stan is the assistant manager.

Metrostars
05/03/2008, 12:53 PM
The Lapira Tour continues.... now trialing at Jönköping Södra in Sweden:

http://www.jnytt.se/Read__14260.aspx

http://www.jnytt.se/Read__14152.aspx

ifk101
05/03/2008, 1:32 PM
The Lapira Tour continues.... now trialing at Jönköping Södra in Sweden:

http://www.jnytt.se/Read__14260.aspx

http://www.jnytt.se/Read__14152.aspx

It seems he's doing okay from those articles but had to be taken off due to foot blisters.

Torn-Ado
05/03/2008, 2:32 PM
It seems he's doing okay from those articles but had to be taken off due to foot blisters.

Are they even in the Superettan?

ifk101
05/03/2008, 2:45 PM
Are they even in the Superettan?

Yes - but they'd be one of the favourites to get relegated this season. They'd be LOI first division standard so I don't think Lapira is good enough to play for them.

fergalr
06/03/2008, 12:45 PM
Can I propose that all Lapira threads get moved to another forum please. He and threads about him have never deserved to be classed as Ireland International.

tetsujin1979
06/03/2008, 12:47 PM
Can I propose that all Lapira threads get moved to another forum please. He and threads about him have never deserved to be classed as Ireland International.
deserved has little or nothing to do with it. He is an Irish international and all discussions about him or his career deserve to be in the international forum

fergalr
06/03/2008, 1:00 PM
deserved has little or nothing to do with it. He is an Irish international and all discussions about him or his career deserve to be in the international forum
So if he ends up playing in the Boston equivalent of the AUL Div II then we still keep a thread going about him here!?

Dr. Ogba
06/03/2008, 1:03 PM
Surprised if he's touting himself to little known (at least to me) Swedish sides that he hasn't tried to go on trial with one of the full-time EL clubs. If nothing else would be a great PR exercise for both club and player...

ifk101
06/03/2008, 1:14 PM
Surprised if he's touting himself to little known (at least to me) Swedish sides that he hasn't tried to go on trial with one of the full-time EL clubs. If nothing else would be a great PR exercise for both club and player...

There was a rumour not too long ago that he was on his way to UCD.

stojkovic
06/03/2008, 10:34 PM
There was a rumour not too long ago that he was on his way to UCD.

Yeah on the 46A.

Agree that thread should be moved to the Munster Sernior League or the like.

Can we not just forget about this shameful episode in the history of the FAI.

irishfan86
08/03/2008, 2:28 AM

He's been drafted by Toronto of the MLS...the top players there make about $450,000...from a financial perspective he'd make a lot more in Canada than in Ireland most likely.

If he can sign for similar money in Sweden as to what he'd make in the MLS, it would be the smart move for him, as MLS are very reluctant to sell players, assuming he's good enough to move on.

From the perspective of advancing his career, a move to Sweden wouldn't be a bad choice.

ifk101
10/03/2008, 8:39 AM
He won't be signing for Jönköping - they don't want him.

Dr. Ogba
10/03/2008, 12:14 PM
He's been drafted by Toronto of the MLS...the top players there make about $450,000...from a financial perspective he'd make a lot more in Canada than in Ireland most likely.

If he can sign for similar money in Sweden as to what he'd make in the MLS, it would be the smart move for him, as MLS are very reluctant to sell players, assuming he's good enough to move on.

From the perspective of advancing his career, a move to Sweden wouldn't be a bad choice.

Well if its money he's after then why not stay put instead of touting himself to little-known Swedish sides? (who, more than likely, would not have the kind of money you have mentioned above)

From a career-progression point of view he could garner quite a bit of publicity from joining an EL team, perhaps even get a few European games and, if he's good enough, earn a transfer to England or Scotland (as others have)....
Saying that, if teams like Jönköping aren't interested he's probably not even good enough for a top EL team...

fergalr
10/03/2008, 12:27 PM
Saying that, if teams like Jönköping aren't interested he's probably not even good enough for a top EL team...
I'm guessing that is a typo.

Based on recent euro results, top EL teams regularly beat top Swedish teams. Since Jönköping are in the Superettan (Second league of Sweden) I think you meant to say that this would make Lapira not even good enough for a EL Div 1 team.

youngirish
10/03/2008, 1:04 PM
While I have no problems with Stan capping Lapira it just goes to show you by judging some of the younger players he introduced that he really couldn't spot an ounce of talent if it walked up to him and slapped him right in his dopey Dundalk face. Alan O'Brien, Darren Potter and Stephen O'Halloran all capped in place of the likes of Stephen Quinn (playing in the premiership at the time), Darren O'Dea and Owen Garvan.

I wonder if that guy who held him up with the gun a few years back when he started the job was sent on a Terminatoresque mission from the future to save Irish football.

GavinZac
10/03/2008, 2:51 PM

Rightyo then I'll remember to keep all Joe Gamble, Colin Healy and Gareth Farrelly convos in here too. Thanks for clearing that up.

gustavo
10/03/2008, 4:25 PM
Rightyo then I'll remember to keep all Joe Gamble, Colin Healy and Gareth Farrelly convos in here too. Thanks for clearing that up.

Except that this site already has forums specifically dedicated to their league and their team

RivaldoBabb
14/03/2008, 1:40 PM
You are right Gavinzac, why has this lad got a dedicated thread on this forum? We might aswell include half the LOI players in the Ireland section if we are including a donkey from the MLS.

Just because that brilliant manager Staunton gave him a publicity cap in the states doesnt warrant him to be classed as an international, his talent clearly states he is not.

Metrostars
02/04/2008, 6:53 PM
According to this: http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=673558&page=3
Lapira has signed for Nybergsund in Norwegian second division...

Lionel Ritchie
02/04/2008, 7:03 PM
According to this: http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=673558&page=3
Lapira has signed for Nybergsund in Norwegian second division...

Wow ...I'd like to thank Lappy for showing me that there are indeed national football league teams out there in Europe that I have certifiably never, ever heard of. Thought I'd wandered across 'em all at some stage or other.:)

drinkfeckarse
03/04/2008, 8:06 AM
Why would you sign for a Norwegian second division team if you could play at a better level with some of America's top clubs who were all "supposedly" after him?? This is turning into another embarressing episode for the FAI. Lets face it, it looks like they've capped a lad going on hype alone when it it turns out that he'd probably struggle to get a game with Monaghan (no offence intended).

irishfan86
03/04/2008, 8:23 AM
It seems a bit of a bizarre move, but all I can think of is that he wants a European adventure, and with only American college experience, there probably aren't many top class teams willing to take a chance on him.

Also, from his perspective, he will be able to be transferred a lot easier to a big club if he is successful than he would be in MLS. They have a bad reputation for insisting on players fulfilling their contracts instead of selling them if there is European interest. This is because the league owns players rights, not individual teams.

Lapira may not want to play in MLS because of this possible restriction in movement. Perhaps he doesn't want to play in Canada (Toronto have the right to sign him because of the draft system).

He is highly regarded in the US, and almost any MLS team would take him in a heartbeat. He is not being rejected by the MLS, he is rejecting them for whatever reason.

All I can compare it to is something like if Jamie McCarthy tried to get an MLS contract.

He arrives in America, and says he played in the Scottish Second Division. "Hamilton who?" Nah, not interested, never heard of them.

The Scottish second division means about as much in America as American college soccer does here......

The point I'm trying to make here is that Lapira has shown himself to be a very good player at the college level, and is not someone we should be writing off just yet.

What's the harm in seeing how he does in Norway? I mean if you want to judge him on his little cameo appearance in the US with our B team go for it, but I'm not writing him off just yet.

More than likely he'll never play for us again, but if he had declared for America, I'd guarantee that their fans would be keeping a close eye on his development.

Kingdom
03/04/2008, 11:55 AM
It seems a bit of a bizarre move, but all I can think of is that he wants a European adventure, and with only American college experience, there probably aren't many top class teams willing to take a chance on him.

What's the harm in seeing how he does in Norway? I mean if you want to judge him on his little cameo appearance in the US with our B team go for it, but I'm not writing him off just yet.

More than likely he'll never play for us again, but if he had declared for America, I'd guarantee that their fans would be keeping a close eye on his development.

Why didn't he try out in the eL ? Surely one of the clubs who wouldn't challenge for honours would have been a good proposition?
Also this is a quote from one of the posters on the linked website
"I just don't see the logic in this, other than a blind disdain for the American league.

Normally I'd blame the league, MLS does some screwy **** and the salary cap/base is absurdly low, but honestly, the only thing come to mind when reading about this move is "what is it about ND soccer players and these pathetic European moves?"

IMO these are the real world examples of Eurosnobs. Just this blind belief that everything across the pond must be better, I don't buy it, and if you think playing for a club in the Swedish second division, in front of 3000, is better than 20k in Toronto/MLS, I have a few emails about African bank transfers coming your way!

On coaching, you're going to be playing under a manager that has coached in a league you should be looking at breaking into. Surely Carver would be better for Lapira's long-term prospects.

I've never seen the Swedish Second Division, nor have I watched a USL match in about 2 years, but I don't need to see USL games to know MLS is better"

I couldn't help but think of the likes of Byrne or the nippers who go across to some non-descript teams when they obviously would have been better off staying here.

amaccann
03/04/2008, 12:20 PM
Why would you sign for a Norwegian second division team if you could play at a better level with some of America's top clubs who were all "supposedly" after him?? This is turning into another embarressing episode for the FAI. Lets face it, it looks like they've capped a lad going on hype alone when it it turns out that he'd probably struggle to get a game with Monaghan (no offence intended).
The FAI can hardly be blamed for the teams the manager / Stan picked. I mean we'd be the first to explode in outrage were Delaney picking the team !

cclinton
03/04/2008, 1:17 PM
if we are including a donkey from the MLS.

Donkey or not ...Lapira has never played with a club in the MLS.

But I do understand the sentiment. There is another Irish/American kid who perhaps has superior merit for an roi eval than Lapira ever had. So, let's open a thread about Ciaran O'Brien, son of Fran O'Brien, who made his MLS debut with Colorado Rapids last weekend.

-- got a red card, and a fine ...mms://a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.download.akamai.com/11504/2008/open/discipline/032908_lagcor_ciaran_obrien_redcard_350.wmv
& made it an even more miserable day for Becks.

..Only joking about opening a new thread about Fran's kid. :cool: