PDA

View Full Version : Grand Eircom league Draw

dcfcsteve
31/01/2008, 2:39 PM
Here's a staggeringly simple idea the FAI could do to help EL clubs raise funds for themselves. It's based on something the English RFU do to help rugby clubs of any size who want to take part.

Basically you'd have a national draw with some seriously good prizes negotiated centrally by the FAI, ideally from sponsors - e.g. trips to the World Cup, Ireland away game packages, large cash prizes (ERFU draw has a top prize of £10k, and a 4th prize of £2,500).

You then print the tickets and organise the draw centrally, to provide economies of scale. As it's designed to be a large national draw, you can afford to pitch the ticket price at a very attractive level considering the quality of prizes on offer - e.g. €1 or €2 each.

You then supply each EL club with as many tickets as they want and can sell. They then sell them to members, supporter, anyone basically and keep the lion's share of the money (with a percentage going back to FAI to cover competition prizes and admin).

You could also have additional cash prizes for clubs dependent upon which sells the most tickets etc.

In that way clubs have a large and attractive draw to take part in with almost zero effort on their part.

I know some of the big clubs like Derry run very attractive draws of their own (win a Holiday Home flat in Spain with the City one), but often the tickets for those are quite expensive. Also - the smaller clubs don't have the infrastructure or support base to be able to provide their own very attractive draws, so this would be of huge help to them.

Can someone suggest this at the next Fan Fest thing the FAI hold ? It's shockingly simple and could really work.

Poor Student
31/01/2008, 2:43 PM
E-mail Noel Mooney, he's always willing to listen.

ramsfan
31/01/2008, 4:02 PM
very like gaa draw and that works really well

Magicme
31/01/2008, 4:14 PM
dcfcsteve - the thinking woman's totty. Pity I don't think.

Great idea steve.

A face
31/01/2008, 5:21 PM
I have to hand it to ya Steve, that is a classic idea. I love the fact that small clubs get a great boost from this. There would be some serious muscle behind a draw like this if everyone took part.

Clubs should be able to have draws from their own tickets sales as well for holidays or something like that, to further encourage sales.

One of the best ideas in a long time on this board.

cornerflag
31/01/2008, 6:17 PM
I agree, its a really good idea. There is no reason why the FAI shouldn't give this a go. It certainly has the potential to benefit clubs and the FAI could look at how it would give them some brownie points.

A face
31/01/2008, 6:23 PM
I agree, its a really good idea. There is no reason why the FAI shouldn't give this a go. It certainly has the potential to benefit clubs and the FAI could look at how it would give them some brownie points.

And they would be deserved, i'd give them a second lot if it went well too.

Greenforever
31/01/2008, 11:25 PM
I actually proposed such a draw to the FAI in writing when Sean Connolly was the chief executive, and received a polite reply .. not interested, they wouldn't interfere with individual clubs fundraising.

It's a brilliant way of fundraising but does not have to be limited to eircom league clubs, to be really successful it should be open to all clubs affiliated to the FAI. At €2 a scratch card, the club should get 40%, 40% on prizes and 20% to the FAI which would cover all associated costs and give them a very healthy balance.

Fester
01/02/2008, 10:31 AM
Nice one...Sometimes the simple ideas are the best!!!