PDA

View Full Version : Drug taking in Eircom League

Juanace
31/01/2008, 2:24 PM
Just wondering if there have been any Eircom League players who have failed drugs tests?

Doing a small report on irish athletes failing drugs tests and can't seem to find any high profile cases for team sports in Ireland. Loads of individual athletes.

I know Barry Ryan is one, any others? Or any other confirmed cases of irish sportspeople involved in team sports like rugby/gaa failed tests, that would be in the media domain?

nijboyle
31/01/2008, 2:32 PM
Dunno info like that isn't always made available to the media. recently a professional in the lower leagues of english football retired rather than face the music after he failed a drug test at the club.

Mr A
31/01/2008, 2:34 PM
Whatever about the players, there's a few referees that seem to be off their tits 90% of the time.

Sheridan
31/01/2008, 2:35 PM
Drogheda's Glenn Lacey failed a drug test in 2004. http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/0814/lacey.html

Juanace
31/01/2008, 2:39 PM
thats interesting, didnt know that one - thanks Sheridan

GavinZac
31/01/2008, 2:40 PM
George O'Callaghan is high on life

Aberdonian Stu
31/01/2008, 3:23 PM
Barry Ryan was also caught, in 2003 methinks.

razor
31/01/2008, 3:24 PM
Barry Ryan was also caught, in 2003 methinks.We can't talk about that cos Johnny McDonnell will get upset.

deecay
31/01/2008, 3:43 PM
Barry Ryan was also caught, in 2003 methinks.
Seems every set of fans remind him about it,well apart from ye because ye dont have fans:)

John83
31/01/2008, 6:17 PM
Seems every set of fans remind him about it,well apart from ye because ye dont have fans:)
I can never figure out who these Sligwegians are talking to. Phantom UCD fans? Ha! What a circus act.

A face
31/01/2008, 8:01 PM
Barry Ryan got off lightly in the end didn't he, they cut the ban short or something like that, or did they give him his stuff back .... something like that in the end anyway.

GavinZac
31/01/2008, 8:26 PM
I can never figure out who these Sligwegians are talking to. Phantom UCD fans? Ha! What a circus act.

We all know all of "you" are pineapple_stu abusing a proxy server.

Mr A
31/01/2008, 9:49 PM
pineapple_stu abusing a proxy server.

There's an image I could have lived without.

Dr.Nightdub
31/01/2008, 11:51 PM
Way too much love going on here nowadays. A few years ago this thread woul'd've had two pages of comedy about "junkies" by now. This league is going soft.

Réiteoir
31/01/2008, 11:52 PM
tbh you'd have to be on something to be a supporter of Cork City.

Something which makes you see things - like massive crowds that aren't there...

OneRedArmy
01/02/2008, 6:40 AM
Way too much love going on here nowadays. A few years ago this thread woul'd've had two pages of comedy about "junkies" by now. This league is going soft.The rest of the country has woken up to drugs now, we're all junkies........Celtic Tiger blah blah etc....[insert random Indo article]

Raheny Red
01/02/2008, 7:51 AM
Way too much love going on here nowadays. A few years ago this thread woul'd've had two pages of comedy about "junkies" by now. This league is going soft.

Agreed, everyone congratulating Rovers for getting to Tallaght - it's sickening :D

A face
01/02/2008, 7:53 AM
tbh you'd have to be on something to be a supporter of Cork City.

Something which makes you see things - like massive crowds that aren't there...

Perception, intuition, a sixth sense ... call it what you will, but agreed City fans do seem to have better vision alright ;)

Réiteoir
01/02/2008, 8:40 AM
Perception, intuition, a sixth sense ... call it what you will, but agreed City fans do seem to have better vision alright ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjOFcD_vmBY :D

Ash
01/02/2008, 9:00 AM
One particular "private security" goon hired in Lissywollen was well off his t!ts

John83
01/02/2008, 9:25 AM
We all know all of "you" are pineapple_stu abusing a proxy server.

There's an image I could have lived without.
Really? I know it's silly, but surely Pineapple Stu arguing with a computer that its club is going broke and it's being entirely too blasé about it isn't that bad.

sadloserkid
02/02/2008, 10:52 AM
recently a professional in the lower leagues of english football retired rather than face the music after he failed a drug test at the club.

A player left Limerick in similar circumstances a few years back too.

Bald Student
02/02/2008, 11:41 AM
Really? I know it's silly, but surely Pineapple Stu arguing with a computer that its club is going broke and it's being entirely too blasé about it isn't that bad.
I think it was the image of Stu abusing a server that he got stuck in his head. To be totally honest, it's not something I'd like to see either.

forza rovers
06/02/2008, 6:59 PM
has anyone ever been band from loi for drug taking

A face
06/02/2008, 11:52 PM

Barry Ryan is the only one i know of, and they let him off early.

His club protect him to the hilt now as if it will make it go away. He is THE ONLY ONE banned in recent times and EVERYONE knows about it.

John83
07/02/2008, 11:16 AM
No, but Ryan was banned for a few months. I think he went playing GAA for a bit.

Jerry The Saint
07/02/2008, 11:23 AM
Barry Ryan got off lightly in the end didn't he, they cut the ban short or something like that, or did they give him his stuff back .... something like that in the end anyway.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/story.asp?newsid=9054

Not exactly "lightly" - 15-month ban reduced to 9 months. Even at the time I thought it was an over the top punishment for a semi-pro player. Resulted in him being fired/let go by Rovers and could easily have ended his career if Dublin City hadn't given him a second chance. I knew there had to be some good reason for that club's existence ;)