PDA

View Full Version : Bush admin. lied 935 times in lead-up to Iraq war.

osarusan
30/01/2008, 4:27 AM
A report from the Center for Public Integrity (http://www.publicintegrity.org/WarCard/Default.aspx?src=home&context=overview&id=945) says that members of the Bush administration lied 935 times about the situation in Iraq.

President George W. Bush and seven of his administration's top officials, including Vice President Dick Cheney, National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, made at least 935 false statements in the two years following September 11, 2001, about the national security threat posed by Saddam Hussein's Iraq. Nearly five years after the U.S. invasion of Iraq, an exhaustive examination of the record shows that the statements were part of an orchestrated campaign that effectively galvanized public opinion and, in the process, led the nation to war under decidedly false pretenses.

Bush was top with 260 lies, Powell next with 254.

Some interesting examples when you scroll down the page.Some of the "lies", only turned out later to be lies, as the evidence was considered solid at the time. But in some cases members of the administration made public statements that contradicted things that the FBI/CIA/others had already told them privately.

I don't know what, if any, agenda this Center for Public Integrity has, but some the examples are pretty damning.

Bluebeard
30/01/2008, 10:19 AM
Compare that with the number of lies told by Clinton about Lewinsky to Congress and the Senate, (which was essentially something that he did within his own personal life, albeit a putative abuse of position). That led to an impeachment procedure.

And nobody died in that case.

Unless you count the millions of sperm as sacred unborn lives.

Seeing as it is the US, Clinton got off lightly avoiding the genocide rap.

John83
30/01/2008, 10:36 AM
Thing is, I think we pretty much knew this already. Hell, Cheney said that he still expected to find WMDs in Iraq long after everyone else had given up the ghost.
The US had an opportunity to take Bush to the cleaners over that crap in 2004. They didn't. You get the government you deserve. Hence we're still stuck with Bertie "Of course I'm tax compliant" Ahern.

anto1208
30/01/2008, 11:26 AM
A politician lying :eek:

Only one way to sort this out ONLINE PETITION !!!

jebus
30/01/2008, 11:29 AM
A politician lying :eek:

Only one way to sort this out ONLINE PETITION !!!

We now have 15 names, only another 14,985 to go til we get completely ignored again!!

Thing is, I think we pretty much knew this already. Hell, Cheney said that he still expected to find WMDs in Iraq long after everyone else had given up the ghost.
The US had an opportunity to take Bush to the cleaners over that crap in 2004. They didn't. You get the government you deserve. Hence we're still stuck with Bertie "Of course I'm tax compliant" Ahern.

Good point. All very well and good us pointing and laughing at America, but we have FF voters asking us to ignore Bertie's lies because he likes the odd pint of Beamish.....

.....I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Irish can't govern themselves, BRITS BACK!!!