PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 final score

yur man
16/06/2003, 8:14 PM
1 - 0 to city. heddermans first goal

update courtesy of www.96fm.ie :eek: of all people. i listened to redfm first but theyd rather tell us about anythin else

keep it up lads :ball:

yur man
16/06/2003, 9:07 PM
2 - 0

:D

again tanks to 96fm.ie :eek:

@ndy
16/06/2003, 9:17 PM
My first neutral city game.

Pretty drab.

Well, i'm off to buy some of that paint that goes on pink but dries white.

Hitman
16/06/2003, 10:09 PM
I thought City played some great stuff, especially the first half. They could easily have been two or three up at the break, although Bennett made two excellent last-ditch tackles. Georgie was outstanding, and Dan Murray's doing an uncanny impression of Beckenbauer, very unlucky not to score in front of the Shed after a great passing move.

@ndy
16/06/2003, 10:52 PM
Murray was the most solid player on the park for me alright. Waterford disappointed me big time. I am going to put a tenner on them to be relegated in the morning. They were awful in belfield and won with an own goal. I think when teams lose respect for them they will dive bomb.

O Callaghan was prominent, but what city lack for me (and bear in mind this was my first time seeing them neutral apart from pats on tv which bored me to tears) are wingers. Two speedy players on either side, and divine to spill the ball out short to the full backs. The midfielders and wingers then feed george and john o. Imagine how many they would score if they had 9 or 10 decent crosses a game (one every ten odd mins), and or some nice interchanges to split defences?

patsh
16/06/2003, 11:21 PM
Murray was superb, Georgie excellent, Doyler was fantastic, and we really played some excellent stuff, particularly in the first half.
A new player or two could make us real contenders.

As for watching paint dry, thats what you must heve been watching, not the game I saw. City played some really good football and if you can't see that, you've been watching far too much bottom of the league sh*te!;)

Neil
16/06/2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
Murray was superb, Georgie excellent, Doyler was fantastic, and we really played some excellent stuff, particularly in the first half.
A new player or two could make us real contenders.

I think that just about sums up our season so far.
One or two creative midfielders away from being a very strong outfit.

tiktok
16/06/2003, 11:29 PM
just for the record

Cork City 2-0 Waterford United
(Hedderman, O'Flynn)

Longford Town 2-1 Bohemians (aet)
(Mulvihill 2) (Doyle)

Derry City and Sligo Rovers play tomorrow night to see who will complete the semi-final line up with Pat's, City and Longford. Can anybody pass on the line-up, from the looks of it Dolan seems to have played a strong side.

@ndy, creativity in midfield, be it from attack minded wingers or a clever central midfielder seems to be all that city are missing, the defence seems more solid every game and up front we're not too shabby. four points off the lead, let's see what presents santa dolan brings us over the two weeks off.

Neil
16/06/2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
Can anybody pass on the line-up, from the looks of it Dolan seems to have played a strong side.

Mooney
Hoggy Benno D.Murray Woods
Doyle CTOB K.Murray Heddermann
Flynny George

tiktok
16/06/2003, 11:38 PM
we're so settled at the back and up front, hoggy/carey is the choice at right back the moment i guess and it's not a bad headache to have (football cliche no.341).

midfield continues to have a strange look about it though, glad to hear that doyle is coming good, murray is probably one for the future (impressive though that pat has the confidence in him to throw him in central midfield), hedderman on the left wing looks strange though (kind of a reverse of where i thought he and billy should be, but what do i know), how did he do?

Neil
16/06/2003, 11:42 PM
hedderman on the left wing looks strange though (kind of a reverse of where i thought he and billy should be, but what do i know), how did he do?
The two of them did ok.
But Woods is wasted at left back while Hedderman isint quick or tricky enough to play winger. I'd swap them aswell.

razor
17/06/2003, 7:44 AM
we're so settled at the back and up front, hoggy/carey is the choice at right back the moment i guess and it's not a bad headache to have (football cliche no.341).

I'd play Hoggie every time, I think there is an ocean of difference between them. Hoggie was class last night, Carey looks dodgy every time I see him.
Colin T. is not a centre midifeld player.

niamh
17/06/2003, 8:07 AM
Hopefully Hoggie will get a decent run now that his exams are done and he's back in Cork.
Thought it was a good perforamance in parts. All we need know is to continue that into the league.
Was also good to see someone else besides JOF and GOC scoring.

NorthoftheLee
17/06/2003, 8:22 AM
i was very pleased with the first half display....thought we played soem excellent football......georgie was absolute class in the 1st half......joy to watch.......

the 2nd half was pretty poor until the last 10 mins when city started to play the ball around again....

Dan was brilliant again.........he just oozes class.....

have to agree with hedderman not playing out ont he wing....he isnt a winger...hasnt got the pace.....he will never do himself justice out there.....would have swapped himself and billy alright...thought billy did well again last night. Hoggie did well too at right back......kevin murray did well enough in the middle...give him a season to adjust to the eL and I think we may have a nice little player there....always looks for the right pass......

2-0 win...into the 1/2 finals...i'm not complaining....

liamon
17/06/2003, 8:30 AM
I'm not sure about switching Bily back into midfield.
He was awful for the first few games of the season.
Switching him into defence has done the trick and at least he's contributing now.
Although, he doesn't seem to quite have picked up on the idea of marking players. He often just seems to be marking empty space. Still, our defence is doing allright.

Doyle is doing allright on the wing and I think he'll improve. But we still need to find someone for the other wing and someone to play along side Greg. Maybe Kevin Murray will fill that role long term. (I thought he played in defence for the U-21's??)

SO we're only a handful of players away from winning the league.
What team isn't?

Dunner
17/06/2003, 9:22 AM
Have to say that bennos performance was top class last nite- he made about 4 unbelievable tackles in the box !!!! Murray was great again- the two are looking to be very promising!!!! Heres to the best defence in the league!!!!!:p

yan
17/06/2003, 9:30 AM
have to say danno's cryuff turn in his own 18 yard box crowded with people was just so class,

he is eligible to play for ireland under21's i think isnt he?? didnt he say that at some supporters meeting,don givens would have to start although i dunno if he would be a bit burnt out like flynny towards end of season

Trax
17/06/2003, 10:40 AM
Have to agree with Liamon on this one.Woodsy is class at L.B. he was immense again last night which is funny considering how bad he started the season on the wing, so I would leave him there with Hoggie in the other side,dont think Carey is good enough yet,dont think Hedd was up to much on the wing apart from a great goal.Think ColinT did well especially considerin he hadnt played in a long time up til last week.

Colm
17/06/2003, 12:07 PM
I thought Georgie was excellent again.
Dan was cool-headed composure personified, one of his best games for a while imo.
Hedderman is severely lacking pace and may be better off at left back.
I think Hoggie should start all the time.
Kev Doyle had a good game, I was talking to Pat Dolan about him after and he said that he really needs a goal to boost his confidence, he also said Kevin Murray is a great young lad and that he wants to give him a few appearances to develop him as a player.
Flynny got another goal, no need to say anymore about him.
Overall it was a good performance and we're through to the semi-final, all of a sudden it seems like a trophy worth winning.:)

Eric
17/06/2003, 1:18 PM
No Greg or Daly, who was captain?

@ndy
17/06/2003, 1:25 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
As for watching paint dry, thats what you must heve been watching, not the game I saw. City played some really good football and if you can't see that, you've been watching far too much bottom of the league sh*te!;)

Well, i have been watching far far far too much bottom of the league sh'te...but that's beside the point. I did however watch bottom of the league sh'te losing unluckily on Friday last, no one can say they played worse than cork.

Last nights game put me to sleep. I was there. There are witnesses.

@ndy
17/06/2003, 1:28 PM
For the record, i thought Waterford were completely impotent. Nothing there at all. I can understand city closing the game down at one up. It was a succesful game, but i couldn't believe it was a cup tie...

patsh
17/06/2003, 1:49 PM
Originally posted by @ndy
Last nights game put me to sleep. I was there. There are witnesses.
Well you can see whatever you want to see.
I'd reckon that the majority of witnesses/spectators would have seen some of the excellent passing play by City last night. City are not responsible for the performances of the opposition, just their own, and while they dominated the game last Friday night, they did not play well, whereas they had some very, very good passages of play last night, but were not really dominant.

Colm
17/06/2003, 2:23 PM
Originally posted by Eric
No Greg or Daly, who was captain?

I think it was Dan Murray.

NorthoftheLee
17/06/2003, 2:37 PM
it was indeed Super Dan.............

tiktok
17/06/2003, 6:09 PM
i'd have hoggy at right back over carey too (going back to that), is what niamh mentioned why he hasn't been starting, his exams?

SSS
17/06/2003, 6:28 PM
There's no doubt that City were well in control last night and played some great stuff. But, all the good stuff was Hoggie, Doyle, George and Flynn. CT did OK, K Murray hardly touched a ball and never got close to his man in midfield, Woods has been doing great at LB but last night City didn't attack down his side ( coz Hedderman is NOT and attacking player) and W'ford didn't attack Woods either - i.e. he had a quiet night. Hedderman..someone said the other day that last night would be his big chance. I don't think he took it.
Obviously Benno and Dan were phenomenal. Benno is getting better, Dan is just Steve Silvermint in green.

Bottom line, half the team played superbly.

And now onto Dolan's selection:
Winger at LB
LB at LM
RM at CM
CB at CM (having said on the radio that Murray was best at CB)
S at LM....

Then he brings on Greg and puts him LM before finally waking up and switching Doyle, CT and Greg into more appropriate positions.

Think how well City could play with their best players in their best positions!!!!