PDA

View Full Version : 2008 first team squad

DmanDmythDledge
28/01/2008, 9:56 PM
So who do we have at the moment for next season. There'll probably be a few more U21s like Doyle or O'Donnell as well. I make it;

Goalkeepers: Matt Gregg, Billy Brennan

Defenders: Alan Mahon, Conor Kenna, Alan McNally, Evan McMillan, Brian Shorthall, Ian Bermingham, Killian Gallagher

Midfielders: Shane Fitzgerald, Brian King, Ronan Finn, Greg Bolger, Patrick McWalter, Derek Doyle

Strikers: Paul Byrne, Timmy Purcell, Fran Moran.

U-C-D
28/01/2008, 10:11 PM
looks a bit bare doesnt it! i have no qualms with the defence, but i definitely think a striker, centre mid and cover GK all with experience are badly needed, but i dont doubt pete will bring them in eventually, he always seems to!

DmanDmythDledge
28/01/2008, 10:14 PM
I don't think any of the players on trial at the moment are goalkeepers. pineapple stu you still have a chance.;)

Poor Student
29/01/2008, 11:18 AM
No surprise that the defence still look strong as we didn't lose anyone there. Midfield looks strong enough in the centre but with no strong backup. The wingers are average at best. Up front looks weak as usual.

John83
29/01/2008, 11:30 AM
I don't know about that PS - Finn and King are good players, but Finn's quite attacking and King's young. I could see them getting pushed around a bit in some games. Certainly though, if either of them is out, we're in a bit of trouble. Here's hoping that Bolger or one of the other 21s will step up this year.

As for the wingers being average, I agree it's not McWalter's best position but I think he'll move up front (where he's not bad) when Doyle is back, and Doyle's pretty good, and worth a few goals. On the right, Fitzgerald is pretty good, and this being his second season, he could be a big player for us this year.

Big pressure on Timmy Purcell to prove that he does more than talk the talk this year, and I'm going to wait before writing off Fran Moran - he seemed promising.

pineapple stu
29/01/2008, 6:21 PM
You've also got the league winning 21s to add in there, plus those players who are training with us at present. But I agree with U-C-D, including the bit where he says Pete always seems to find someone.

Poor Student
29/01/2008, 8:29 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but every full season since Mahon has been in charge he has signed a player that went on to win U-21 or U-19 caps.

2004: Darren Quigley and Gary Dicker
2005: Conor Sammon and Ronan Finn
2006: Greg Bolger
2007: Ian Bermingham and Shane McFaul

It's reasonable to hope there could be one or two surprise gems introduced this season.

John, I meant strong as in talented. I think your concerns are valid although King looks like he could put himself about a bit. It's a make or break season for Fitzgerald. Without Conan Byrne he has a chance to stake a claim in the team.

pineapple stu
29/01/2008, 8:35 PM
Forsyth in 2006 too.

DmanDmythDledge
29/01/2008, 10:35 PM
It's reasonable to hope there could be one or two surprise gems introduced this season.
Doesn't sound too good though.

UCD had their eight training session last night since starting back on January 14 and, while Mahon is looking for new additions, he accepts they may have to work with what they've got.

"Our U-21 team has won their league for three out of four years so maybe we'll have to give a few more of them a chance and see if they're up to it", said an upbeat Mahon.

Wonder is he bluffing or have the players that were on trial not being signed.

DmanDmythDledge
18/03/2008, 5:13 PM
So squad for the season looks like it will be:

Goalkeepers: Matt Gregg, Billy Brennan

Defenders: Alan Mahon, Conor Kenna, Brian Shorthall, Evan McMillan, Ian Bermingham, Killian Gallagher, Lorcan Keeney

Midfielders: Brian King, Alan McNally, Ronan Finn, Patrick McWalter, Shane Fitzgerald, Derek Doyle, John Reilly, Greg Bolger

Strikers: Paul Byrne, Timmy Purcell, Darren Forsyth, Fran Moran.

Keepers and defence seem fine, not convinced by Gregg but he is decent enough.

We have a number of options on the wing but centre mid and upfront are lacking in depth, an experienced player in each position would have completed the squad. Injuries or suspensions in these positions could kill us.

U-C-D
18/03/2008, 5:30 PM
don't forget that reilly guy aswell, tho he hasnt had a look in as of yet

TheBoss
19/03/2008, 1:11 PM
Is Stephen Hurley not back after his loan ?

John83
19/03/2008, 1:22 PM
I thought that was made permanent? Regardless, I don't think he was wanted back.

DmanDmythDledge
19/03/2008, 1:25 PM
He's gone back playing GAA.

Sam_Heggy
20/03/2008, 9:08 AM
Was speaking to Lorcan Keeneys brother on monday, he was saying Lorcan is finally signed up for ye. Has anyone seen him play yet? Has he much chance of getting into the first team?
He used to be a quality player when he was playing under age but since he went to Wolves I haven't seen too much of him. My wee bro used to play against him and said he was the best young player in Donegal at the time.

John83
20/03/2008, 9:30 AM
He played a bit in the pre-season friendlies. Struck me as a bit awkward for a full back, but I'm quite happy to put that down to him not being fully match fit at the time. He seemed decent enough, but there are two other good left backs in the squad (Bermingham and Gallagher), and a couple of options at left wing (Doyle, McWalter and even Fitzgerald played there in preseason). It'll be interesting to see how he gets on.