PDA

View Full Version : Derek O'Brien Pens New Two Year Deal

gufct
28/01/2008, 9:52 PM
http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/squad/award-winning-o-brien-signs-two-year-deal.html .Its great news and shows the belief in the squad.

GuisaSaigon
29/01/2008, 9:01 AM
Great news, well done Derek!

Knappagh Red
30/01/2008, 9:11 PM
Great news, I'm delighted for all the other underachieving clubs that Derek is unavailable for at least two years, Bravo!

Paddyfield
30/01/2008, 9:19 PM
Great news, I'm delighted for all the other underachieving clubs that Derek is unavailable for at least two years, Bravo!

He made a big step from the last club he played for.

Knappagh Red
31/01/2008, 2:10 PM
Not going by the league placings the last few years

corbyeire
31/01/2008, 2:19 PM
am i the only utd fan who thinks DOB did well when all the others were sh!te - but he was not outstanding by any stretch of the imagination

he did a few dribbles as usual and won a few penalties

when others heads dropped he had a fire in the belly

but he still couldnt cross for sh!T

his performance last year i think has been taken totally totally out of proportion to what he did - he was good - he did what was expected of him and a little more

you swear he made every goal and scored about 20 being a winger

think a lot reflects on how useless the rest of the team were at times!

Claret Murph
31/01/2008, 2:30 PM
am i the only utd fan who thinks DOB did well when all the others were sh!te - but he was not outstanding by any stretch of the imagination

his performance last year i think has been taken totally totally out of proportion to what he did - he was good - he did what was expected of him and a little more

you swear he made every goal and scored about 20 being a wing

think a lot reflects on how useless the rest of the team were at times!

Yer i am behind you no that one Corby , now he did improve his overall game and his heading got a lot better but when it came to crossing well lets just say he needs to do lot more and to find his man in the penalty area would be better , he still has a good bit to go and I hope he again improve this year .:cool:

corbyeire
31/01/2008, 2:43 PM
sound claret - thought i was going mad there for bit - hopefully he comes on again!

Tir Oilean
31/01/2008, 6:59 PM
Lads in fairness it wasnt just us who voted him a player of the year, he was on the EL team of the year too and I think I'm right when I say that that award was voted for by the EL players themselves? (I could be wrong). The top award wasnt just given to Derek without merit but because he was the best in his position in the league.

Claret Murph
01/02/2008, 6:21 AM
Lads in fairness it wasnt just us who voted him a player of the year, he was on the EL team of the year too and I think I'm right when I say that that award was voted for by the EL players themselves? (I could be wrong). The top award wasnt just given to Derek without merit but because he was the best in his position in the league.

Yer I see where you are coming from Tir Oilean but my point ( or should I say Corby's too ) is how many goals came from crosses from Derek ? He is a winger and what I see is one of his main objectives in the game is get past his man and put the into the box for a striker to score , this is where I think he lets himself down badly .
No doubt about it i do love to see him run at people but it's the end product when he does cross the ball is what some times upset me .:o:(:o

Gaillimh Al
01/02/2008, 3:28 PM
You wanted them so here they are. Using only the 19 League games where we actually scored, this is how Derek fared:-

2 goals - cross/shot v Drogs(a) and header v Cork(h)
3 assists - 1 pull-back v Drogs(h) and 2 passes to Glynn(a)
Fouled for 3 penalties - 2 at home and 1 away.
No aerial crosses for goals, although that's not to say the strikers didn't waste such chances as well.
Highlights the fact that running at defenders is his strongest point.Using it wisely if he gets by them is where the problems start.

Of the 28 goals we scored:
- 12 were from dead-ball situations. (7 of our last 9)
- Cooke's goal v Sligo was only strike from outside the area from open play.

Gaillimh Al
01/02/2008, 3:35 PM
You wanted them so here they are. Using only the 19 League games where we actually scored, this is how Derek fared:-

2 goals - cross/shot v Drogs(a) and header v Cork(h)
3 assists - 1 pull-back v Drogs(h) and 2 passes to Glynn(a)
Fouled for 3 penalties - 2 at home and 1 away.
No aerial crosses for goals, although that's not to say the strikers didn't waste such chances as well.
Highlights the fact that running at defenders is his strongest point.Using it wisely if he gets by them is where the problems start.

Of the 28 goals we scored:
- 12 were from dead-ball situations. (7 of our last 9)
- Cooke's goal v Sligo was only strike from outside the area from open play.

corbyeire
01/02/2008, 3:36 PM
great stats al

so youd have to wonder - did all these other eircom players/managers/fans - see a few mazy runs and think - jaysus this guy is good and forgot about all the row ZZZZZZZs???

Gaillimh Al
01/02/2008, 3:44 PM
I think it's more the fact that there aren't that many dangerous wingers left in Eircom League football. I can't think of many that can run at defenders better than Derek. Better crossers of a ball, yes, but none as quick and direct.

Terry-Lander
03/02/2008, 11:38 AM
Running at defenders is all well and good but there has to be an end result.....preferably one that has some impact. On a different note am I alone in thinking that we might live to regret letting murphy go?

gufct
03/02/2008, 11:58 AM
Murphs was absolutely terrible since he came back and was the author of his own decine.No way he deserved a new contract.

corbyeire
03/02/2008, 12:02 PM
agreed - totally useless - in fact worse!

Con-Con
03/02/2008, 6:34 PM
Running at defenders is all well and good but there has to be an end result.....preferably one that has some impact. On a different note am I alone in thinking that we might live to regret letting murphy go?
Yes, yes you are.:D

gufcfan
03/02/2008, 9:01 PM
Murphs was absolutely terrible since he came back and was the author of his own decine.No way he deserved a new contract.

There is no room for sentimentality at United at this crucial stage of it's developement. Tony Cousins can't be hanging on to players for sentiments sake.

Something much better could be done with his wages...

Don't get me wrong I like Murph, but he just didn't do nearly well enough to earn a new contract.

I'm sad to see him go, but we have to move on.

west awake
05/02/2008, 2:12 AM

you swear he made every goal and scored about 20 being a winger

think a lot reflects on how useless the rest of the team were at times!i'd like to ask one question,why hasn't his crossing improved,he's full time,does the manager not have him practicing crossing,cos surely if he had been practicing enough he'd be able to cross the ball,i just think it's a waste of a talent,cos if he learned to cross it he'd be worth an extra 10 goals a year,which would turn in to some much needed extra points next season.

corbyeire
05/02/2008, 11:20 AM
valid point

forza rovers
06/02/2008, 3:36 PM
I think it's more the fact that there aren't that many dangerous wingers left in Eircom League football. I can't think of many that can run at defenders better than Derek. Better crossers of a ball, yes, but none as quick and direct.
your having a laugh:D

Olander
06/02/2008, 3:38 PM
your having a laugh:Dhe might be as good as steve manson some day ! ;)

forza rovers
06/02/2008, 3:45 PM
he might be as good as steve manson some day ! ;)
that will take a while;)