PDA

View Full Version : Back page of Echo

ramsie
16/06/2003, 6:41 PM
HILL FACES SACK
Mellerick to return
Dave Hill could have taken charge of his last game at Cobh Ramblers following their one goal win over Finn Harps on Saturday night.

Sources close to the club have indicated to the Evening Echo that Hill will be dismissed following Wednesday night's AGM at St Colman's Park, with former favourite George Mellerick tipped to take over.
Liam Amphlett is stepping down as chairman of the club and the race for the hot seat will be between John Hewitt and John O'Sullivan, with the latter being tipped as the favourite to succeed .
Hill oversaw Cobh's best win of the season at the weekend when a Jonathan Coker goal after 28 minutes proved to be enough for Ramblers to record just their second win of the season.
Ironically, that game could well prove to have been Hill's last game in charge.
"I have also heard those rumours but I cannot comment . If I am given the backing I know that Cobh Ramblers can be a force in football in coming years ," said Hill.

tiktok
16/06/2003, 6:45 PM
i reckon that'd be a bit harsh, you have had a bad start, but last one was a good enough season, you have to give a manager a bit of time to build a team, especially seeing as you don't splash out on new signings. is mellerick really going to be any better?

ramblers
16/06/2003, 7:39 PM
George Mellerick is a has been if John O Sullivan gets in we will be playing Munster senior league next season.

John O Sullivan will have the club back in the Dark ages it is forward we are supposed to be going not back wards.

ramsie
16/06/2003, 10:28 PM
agh no its John O'Sullivan who wants to bring the club forward get it out of the mess its in now He is the best man for chairman
he doesnt like Kabia(but who does) i couldnt see him getting rid of Dave Hill

Write now i dont want Georgie Mellerick as manager

sadloserkid
17/06/2003, 9:37 AM
I don't think that Davey Boy deserves the sack just yet either but he's living in dreamland if he thinks he can turn you into real a force in the near future. That's not a criticism or a slag but there's nobody in the First Division (with the possible exception of Kildare County if they sort a ground out) who'll be in Europe in the next 3-5 years. Just my opinion.

Anyway, I doubt I'd brake for Dave Hill personally but he deserves another 8-10 games at least. Though if ye sack him he can always come to Limerick as a player-coach! :D

Rams-fan
17/06/2003, 10:38 AM
:confused:

It's easy for papers to make wild (informed ??? ) accusations.

I firmly believe that if they let Hill go - that the team will falter. It takes time to build a team, and bring sucess. Team spirit has never being in doubt and this will lead to better days. Dave Hill should be given the support of the club commitee as the supporters give at every game. Warts and All Dave is doing a good job!. We have all seen the really poor days and things are better than they have been. :ball:

As a supporter we have seen a lot of indifferent and backward moves in the club.
It's time the club's best interests take pressidence over personnal feelings & agendas of the commitee. :(

Hears to common sense
:cool:

Estar
17/06/2003, 10:41 AM
Have not much time for Hill, he made the squad worse by letting the better players from last year go:confused:
Wasn't he going to leave after last season anyway.

It will take Kildare 3-5 years to catch up to Longfords Town standard (ground wise etc) never mind Europe. Don't fool ourselves lads their is a big gap between the DIV 1 and the Prem.:eek:

ramblers
17/06/2003, 5:31 PM
The whole reason Dave had to let players go was because of the financial situation within the club.

There is no main sponser at the moment which leaves a big gap in finanace.

Dave needs to have at least another 2 years with the Team they will come on if the money is made available hopefully that will happen after the AGM tomorrow.

ramsie
17/06/2003, 6:17 PM
yes ester you think that way you stick with GAA

Dave Hill cant go if he does it will be another disgrace by the club

Estar
18/06/2003, 9:49 AM
Yea yourself and Hill should stick to the blow football, ye might win a game:p

super rambler
19/06/2003, 7:18 PM
estar go away ya farmer

tiktok
19/06/2003, 7:47 PM
from www.eleven-a-side.com

Cobh Ramblers boss Dave Hill will stay on until the end of the season after rumours that he would be replaced as manager of the club at Wednesday night’s Annual General Meeting proved unfounded.

The Englishman, who played for both Bohemians and Cork City before taking over the reins of Cobh a year ago, was deemed to be under pressure for his position after a disappointing start to the First Division season by his side.

Cobh reached the promotion play-offs last season, going down to eventual winners Drogheda United at the semi-final stage.

That relative success led to increased expectations at St Colman’s Park this season, particularly when they managed to hold onto top scorer Willie Bruton, who had been extensively linked with a move to Cork City in the close-season.

Yet Ramblers have netted just six goals in eleven games this season, and currently languish in ninth place in the First Division table.

Speculation circulating earlier in the week suggested that George Mellerick – who has managed Ramblers in the past – would replace Hill, but that failed to materialize at Wednesday’s meeting.

However, Ramblers’ most recent performance - a 1-0 victory over First Division leaders Finn Harps last weekend - may well have saved Hill’s bacon for the time being at least.

At the AGM, John O’Sullivan was elected Chairman as successor to the outgoing Liam Amphlett.

ramsie
20/06/2003, 1:06 AM
I hope John O'Sullivan can bring more success to the club than that ****er Amphlett

Rams-fan
20/06/2003, 1:55 PM
With the new chairman, and obviously with an interest in the Club, lets hope the discontent in the ranks can finally fade away. And progress is made in securing a sponsor and uniting the divisions that have marred the last few months;)

Here's to a brighter future on and off the field.:cool:

tiktok
20/06/2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Rams-fan
the divisions that have marred the last few months;)

the last thing a club the size of ramblers need is internal politics, what exactly was going on (was it to do with electing the new chairman?) and a lack of proper sponsorship. glad to see Hill was retained though.