PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Term Break (Good or Bad)?

tiktok
16/06/2003, 4:27 PM
I was reading through posts on other websites this morning and came across a few posted by people who were totally against the League taking a break because of the Special Olympics.

First off, is that definitely the reason for the break?
Do you think the Special Olympics is reason enough, how would it have interferred with the league, are LOI grounds hosting competition?
Lastly, are you happy with the break (especially clubs going into european competition soon, do you think it will be a benefit or a hindrance)?

Personally i find it strange, i don't see how the LOI would have interferred with the Special Olympics and vice versa. I assume that the GAA haven't postponed games, why is it that the FAI can't handle it, are they afraid of losing crowds? :confused:

pete
16/06/2003, 4:34 PM
I think the break is indeed for the Special Olympics as i can't think of any other reason for it anyways.

Croke Park is hosting the opening ceremony & i don't think the GAA are even postponing games next weekend.

I can't see how the Special Olympics even in dublin would affect eL crowds by much considering games are played at night.

:confused:

d13bohs
16/06/2003, 5:02 PM
Originally I thought the mid season (even though there's only been 11 games :confused: ) break was a bad thing, however given the way our season's going it could be the best thing that could happen to us. I've heard that some eL grounds are hosting events although I'm not sure about this, but its the only plausible reason for cancelling games, it can't be anything to do with affecting attendances (unless rovers fans are participating in the games:D )

pineapple stu
16/06/2003, 6:03 PM
Does it have anything to do with the amount of security needed for the Olympics? Could leave clubs with insufficient stewards to be allowed host games? Just a wild guess though.

The break will be a good thing for us if we can get a repeated root up the proverbial for most of it. Otherwise, can't see much changing.:(

MariborKev
16/06/2003, 7:46 PM
I heard it was becasue the refs were being used for some of the events- hence leaving the league without officials

sadloserkid
17/06/2003, 8:32 AM
I heard the same as Maribor. Though God help any events that our refs are in charge of... :rolleyes:

forza
17/06/2003, 9:45 AM

Ref
17/06/2003, 11:15 AM
I heard it was becasue the refs were being used for some of the events- hence leaving the league without officials

that would be correct.

Blue Muff
17/06/2003, 12:18 PM
Its scandalas that the EL should be put off for two weeks - refs or no refs. Get in junior league refs instead they would be better than Eddie Folie and co anyway.

This is interupting our quest for EL domination - Brings on the Pats in two weeks time and watch de Blues go top. Then maybe jsut maybe the doubters will F**k off

Ref
17/06/2003, 12:23 PM
junior referees are being used also for the Special Olympics.

its only two weeks. go on holidays or something.

pete
17/06/2003, 1:17 PM
Originally posted by Ref
junior referees are being used also for the Special Olympics.

its only two weeks. go on holidays or something.

Yeah i also heard today was cos of the refs...

drummer boy
17/06/2003, 4:16 PM
is any of the other teams going away training. i heard longford town are going to portugal for the break. i think its a good idea. sould raise fitness in the heat alot. its good for promoting the league i think.

Xlex
17/06/2003, 4:35 PM
I don't think there will be an over-whelming amount of training done... I'd say it will be more of a team bonding week with a little work... I certainly don't expect the town to run themselves into the ground...

joe
17/06/2003, 6:01 PM
i think bohs are heading away somewhere too

tiktok
17/06/2003, 6:22 PM
Originally posted by joe
i think bohs are heading away somewhere too

heard that too, to the first division i think given their current form;)

Éanna
17/06/2003, 6:26 PM
Originally posted by Ref
go on holidays or something.

done :) Que viva espana

d13bohs
17/06/2003, 6:43 PM
Bohs have been rewarded with a trip to Cyprus for their early season "form", maybe Shay Kelly will impress a scout for Nicosia or somebody and stay there

Maz
17/06/2003, 8:05 PM
there will be bonding done alrite....not sure about team bonding :D