PDA

View Full Version : Givens Out!

Pages : [1] 2

sullanefc
27/01/2008, 12:48 PM
Anyone else get the feeling that Givens is delaying the selection of the new manager so that he gets the honour of managing the team against Brazil??

A few quotes from him in today's Star:

It is a great honour to lead the team out in Croker for a game against Brazil. If you were to offer me one game in charge of my country, then this would be it, because Brazil are so special as a football nation and a football team.

I'm excited by the game, and I have an unbeaten record as caretaker boss to protect as well, so it will be interesting.

The new manager, for example, might only get to watch the Brazil game from the stands because elements within the FAI may want to remain as caretaker boss for the biggest game of his career.

IMO Don Givens' vanity has already prevented the new manager from deciding fixtures and having an extra game to prepare his squad.

The game against Brazil has not caught the imagination of the fans as much as it should have because of this debacle.

He is alienating players like Stephen Ireland and Clinton Morrison by not selecting them.

He is embarassing himself by shooting his mouth off in the press.

And his U21 record is abysmal.

Time for him to go? Should he get the same reaction that Stan got in his last game in Croke Park.

kennedmc
27/01/2008, 1:08 PM
"I'm excited by the game, and I have an unbeaten record as caretaker boss to protect as well, so it will be interesting."

This is hillarious - surely he did not say that?? What a complete muppet.

This is evidence that he has an ego and and a misguided sense of his own self importance. Hence also why he feels the needs to comment on players when he should just keep his mouth shut.

GavinZac
27/01/2008, 1:36 PM
of course he has an ego. He appears to be unsackable as U21 manager, he's been "caretaker" 3 times now, and Delaney gave him the opportunity to pick his own boss.

What Don Givens is doing right now is trying to put himself in people's minds for the senior job. He can go f*** himself.

Noelys Guitar
27/01/2008, 1:51 PM
It has turned into the Givens show. Delaney must be delighted that nobody is focusing on him for this farce. Good to hear Don going on about his unbeaten record at Senior level but no mention of his actual job as u/21's manager?

stojkovic
27/01/2008, 1:52 PM
What Don Givens is doing right now is trying to put himself in people's minds for the senior job. He can go f*** himself.

Incorrect. He has always said that he doesnt want the big job.

Whatever you think of Givens, I wouldnt cricify him over Stephen Ireland. DaddyDick has had problems with three Ireland managers. Funny how he never has problems with the club that pays his wages.

GavinZac
27/01/2008, 1:55 PM

Whatever you think of Givens, I wouldnt cricify him over Stephen Ireland. DaddyDick has had problems with three Ireland managers. Funny how he never has problems with the club that pays his wages.

This has nothing to do with that clown either.

Noelys Guitar
27/01/2008, 2:01 PM
How is Givens with such a dire managerial record as the/21's the face of this selection process and chief amigo.

Redkenrover
27/01/2008, 2:10 PM
One thing that interests me is that the selection process is being dictated by Don Givens schedule. He can't meet prospective candidates due to him doing his coaching badges. If he cant fully commit to the job of interviewing people, he shouldn't have taken it on. In any profesional business this would not be allowed to happen.
Oh, I have just realised I used the word professional in relation to this selection process. My apologies!

Noelys Guitar
27/01/2008, 2:29 PM
Givens record as U/21 manager in Uefa qualifying overall is as follows
Won 9, Drew 5, Lost 16
His record since 2004 is
Won 3, Drew 2, Lost 9

sullanefc
27/01/2008, 2:30 PM
How is Givens with such a dire managerial record as the/21's the face of this selection process and chief amigo.

Because he is an unsackable company man.

Givens OUT!!!

rambler14
27/01/2008, 3:08 PM
Givens is a clown, because of him our under 21 team are incapable of winning matches. His record with the 21's is terrible. I'm not sure of the exact figures but from what i remember Ireland 21's under Don Givens have lost 3 quarters of their matches. If he was managing a club he would have been gone a long time ago.
He is the reason that there are no good players coming through to the senior team. He is the reason why our senior team is crap and now he is the reason we will remain to be crap because he is picking the new manager.
It shouldn't happen but the FAI are so clueless they let him carry on. There is no way he should have a say in picking the new manager or any sort of Irish team.
The man can't pick his nose never mind a manager!:mad:

Kingdom
27/01/2008, 3:16 PM
Its always been in my mind that Givens is pushing himself for this job, maybe not this appointment, but certainly for the next time it comes up. Regardless of his stating he's not interested.
It should be a point of examination at the closest delaney interview, as imo, we've had our greatest bunch of players at that level the time Givens has been in charge and he's constantly mucked it up.
I think its gas by the way how much bile was stoked up against Brian Kerr over Stephen Ireland while Givens is proclaimed as a National fcuking hero in some quarters in the media.

Bondvillain
27/01/2008, 3:23 PM
I dont dislike Don Givens because of the Stephen Ireland situation, I dislike Don Givens because of the Don Givens situation.

jmurphyc
27/01/2008, 3:59 PM
I can't believe the way Givens is treated by most fans. Everyone goes on about his poor record at U21 level but that doesn't count for anything. The fact is, look at how many U21 players of his have been called up during Staunton's regime :D. That is proof that he is one of the greatest U21 managers of all time. :rolleyes:

mypost
27/01/2008, 4:25 PM
Everyone goes on about his poor record at U21 level but that doesn't count for anything. The fact is, look at how many U21 players of his have been called up during Staunton's regime :D.

His U-21 record is irrelevant really. His job there is to groom players for the senior team, quite successfully it has to be said.

He was also right regarding the Stephen Ireland situation. I don't want to see him in an Ireland squad again. The way he left the squad was disgraceful, and is in many ways, worse than how Roy Keane did. Afaic, he has retired from international football, and good riddance.

Stuttgart88
27/01/2008, 4:59 PM
Mountain out of a molehill. Stephen Ireland's situation is old news and we all knew what Givens thought about it all along, and Chris McCann and any other young upstart or retiring 30 year old.

To say he's delaying the manager appointment so he can inflate his ego against Brazil is daft.

Great player, poor U21 manager, (overly) conservative caretaker manager and seemingly decent, principled bloke for whom wearing the green means more than many of those lucky enough to do so these days.

GavinZac
27/01/2008, 5:12 PM
To say he's delaying the manager appointment so he can inflate his ego against Brazil is daft.Uh-huh. How long after the Brazil game do you think they'll finally find the right man?

decent, principled bloke
My arse he is.

Bondvillain
27/01/2008, 5:17 PM
seemingly decent, principled bloke.

Probably. However, it is probably the posession of these strict principles which have blinded him to the fact that his positions as the FAI's U21 manager and as Head of the FAI's interview board are incompatible (and frankly inappropriate) and that some of his recent comments to the press have been ill considered, to say the least.

GavinZac
27/01/2008, 5:21 PM
Probably. However, it is probably the posession of these strict principles which have blinded him to the fact that his positions as the FAI's U21 manager and as Head of the FAI's interview board are incompatible (and frankly inappropriate) and that some of his recent comments to the press have been ill considered, to say the least.

He's always so decent and principled when he's trying to arrange moves for young talent out of this country.

pateen
27/01/2008, 6:04 PM
What a waste of space.

Read my signiture

kennedmc
27/01/2008, 6:10 PM
[quote=mypost;863977]His job there is to groom players for the senior team, quite successfully it has to be said.

quote]

Please explain how he grooms players for the senior team? I'm guessing but there is probably 6-8 U21 games a year and he has them for a couple of days at a time.

THe other 340 days a year they are with their coaches from their club who are working with them on a full time basis and helping them develop their game.

geysir
27/01/2008, 6:46 PM
Anyone else get the feeling that Givens is delaying the selection of the new manager so that he gets the honour of managing the team against Brazil??
Not at all. Personally I would have preferred if Brady would have done a one off but that wasn´t going to happen

IMO Don Givens' vanity has already prevented the new manager from deciding fixtures and having an extra game to prepare his squad. Pride and vanity are not the same. As there is not much to be vain about with Don's international underage coaching, I doubt if he is strutting his feathers.

The game against Brazil has not caught the imagination of the fans as much as it should have because of this debacle.
He is alienating players like Stephen Ireland and Clinton Morrison by not selecting themIf the media and fans want to focus on the perceived 2 negatives then that's their choice not Givens's dictate. The big news for us is the return of Duff and Steven Reid..
Givens has nothing to do with S.Ireland and Clinton's international career is not over. I'm sure Clinton can wait for the next manager to mull over his selection.

He is embarassing himself by shooting his mouth off in the press. Nonsense, Givens doesn't know when to shut up but what he said most fans would agree with.
If Charlton was there he would have told that Today FM reporter to go and wxnk himself.

rambler14
27/01/2008, 7:01 PM
Not at all. Personally I would have preferred if Brady would have done a one off but that wasn´t going to happen

Good shout for under 21 manager. If he nurtures players like he does at Arsenal the 21's could actually win a match

Superhoops
27/01/2008, 7:21 PM
He's always so decent and principled when he's trying to arrange moves for young talent out of this country.
I am sure if he has helped any young player to find a place at a club out of this country then they welcomed his assistance with open arms.

It might be a lovely dream for them all to stay in Ireland but the reality is that every young player who wants the chance to make it as a top professional knows that playing in EL is not likely to help their chances and they would welcome any help they can get to find a club in the UK.

Port Saint
27/01/2008, 9:44 PM
'Should he get the same reaction that Stan got in his last game in Croke Park'

No this should never happen. It's unfortunate that the Stauton situation was allowed continue for as long as it did that some people, myself included, felt it necessary.

I actual agree with the original question and think it's a sad state that it's taken so long. We might as well wait for the next batch of sackings to see who becomes available :D

finnpark
27/01/2008, 11:46 PM

A few quotes from him in today's Star:

IMO Don Givens' vanity has already prevented the new manager from deciding fixtures and having an extra game to prepare his squad.

He is alienating players like Stephen Ireland and Clinton Morrison by not selecting them.

He is embarassing himself by shooting his mouth off in the press.

And his U21 record is abysmal.

Time for him to go? Should he get the same reaction that Stan got in his last game in Croke Park.

I agree with everything you say but .......

what about our other underage managers. Most of them are getting paid to be scouts by UK clubs. Where else would you see a National football association's staff work as scouts for UK clubs?

And how long has Vinny Butler been U-15 manager? Its no wonder our underage teams are doing so bad. And do the FAI have any plans for a full time youth academy in this country?

A lot of questions need to be answered!

Greenforever
28/01/2008, 12:05 AM
Why the rush to appoint a new manager, the important thing is to get a manager in that WANTS the job and has a long term view. The most successful teams have long term managers. We need a manager who is looking at a 6 - 10 yr committment and a minimum 2nd place in all qualifying groups as the target and not someone who'll take if for 2 yrs and sure if a better offer comes along they'll be gone. No one really knows who is the preferred choice of the three amigos, so why not sit back, chill and wait before throwing the first stone. Don's record as a player was 1st class and he's totally committed and will expect that of whoever takes the 1st team job and I for one will fully support his choice and give the chosen one a fair crack of the whip. Has anyone who thinks this is going on too long stopped to thing that maybe the preferred candidate is in employment and may not be willing to go public till towards the end of the season as they have a loyalty to thier current contract. That is the type of manager we actually need, one who will honour his contract and give 110%.

bellavistaman
28/01/2008, 3:09 AM
I dont dislike Don Givens because of the Stephen Ireland situation, I dislike Don Givens because of the Don Givens situation.

well said

finnpark
28/01/2008, 11:09 AM
Why the rush to appoint a new manager, the important thing is to get a manager in that WANTS the job and has a long term view. The most successful teams have long term managers. We need a manager who is looking at a 6 - 10 yr committment and a minimum 2nd place in all qualifying groups as the target and not someone who'll take if for 2 yrs and sure if a better offer comes along they'll be gone. No one really knows who is the preferred choice of the three amigos, so why not sit back, chill and wait before throwing the first stone. Don's record as a player was 1st class and he's totally committed and will expect that of whoever takes the 1st team job and I for one will fully support his choice and give the chosen one a fair crack of the whip. Has anyone who thinks this is going on too long stopped to thing that maybe the preferred candidate is in employment and may not be willing to go public till towards the end of the season as they have a loyalty to thier current contract. That is the type of manager we actually need, one who will honour his contract and give 110%.

I think that our focus is all wrong. We seemed obessed with paying bi bucks to get a new great manager that is going to do great things.

We should be focusing on developing a professional football league in Ireland and 2-3 professional academys.

NeilMcD
28/01/2008, 11:36 AM
Lads why does our squad have to be named so early. I see Givens logic for him taking over the Brazil game is that it would be unfair on the new manager not naming the squad but taking over the game. However we named our squad last week. England are not naming theirs until this Saturday. Is there a big need for us to name our squad so early.

GavinZac
28/01/2008, 11:58 AM
every young player who wants the chance to make it as a top professional knows that playing in EL is not likely to help their chances and they would welcome any help they can get to find a club in the UK.

He is an employee of the FAI. His job is to change this, not re-enforce it. For feck sake, if he's doing it with players that are under contract, it is a conflict of interests - nothing new in Given's world.

mackannovic
28/01/2008, 2:51 PM

Regardless of what happened he's only caretaker manager and needs to remember that before he alienates players from the setup completely by shouting his mouth off like the pleb he is. Whether he was correct in leaving him out or not there was no need for his comments.

eekers
28/01/2008, 3:16 PM
Lads why does our squad have to be named so early. I see Givens logic for him taking over the Brazil game is that it would be unfair on the new manager not naming the squad but taking over the game. However we named our squad last week. England are not naming theirs until this Saturday. Is there a big need for us to name our squad so early.

for what its worth brazil named theirs before we did.

NeilMcD
28/01/2008, 3:18 PM
Well Brazil are hardly a country we should be copying if we want to be successful , surely England should be the example that we follow.

eekers
28/01/2008, 4:06 PM
Well Brazil are hardly a country we should be copying if we want to be successful , surely England should be the example that we follow.

well Capello is rumoured to be calling up Dave Kitson.

GavinZac
28/01/2008, 4:13 PM
for what its worth brazil named theirs before we did.

I'd imagine they've been trying to find out who would bother to turn up for quite some time.

eekers
28/01/2008, 4:23 PM
I'd imagine they've been trying to find out who would bother to turn up for quite some time.

has no one dropped out of the ireland squad yet? :)

bellavistaman
28/01/2008, 4:56 PM

he recently stated he is looking forward to the chance to play against such a world class team, :D:D

irishfan86
28/01/2008, 5:09 PM

There are friendlies that you drop out of, but Brazil isn't one of them.

stojkovic
28/01/2008, 5:57 PM
Regardless of what happened he's only caretaker manager and needs to remember that before he alienates players from the setup completely by shouting his mouth off like the pleb he is. Whether he was correct in leaving him out or not there was no need for his comments.

I agree.
He was baited by the media and had a Kevin Keegan moment.
Did he not say before the Welsh match that it was for the new manager to solve to Stephen Ireland situation and not him. He should have just re-iterated this.

sláinte101
28/01/2008, 7:03 PM
Don Givens was good player.(FULL STOP and nothing more or nothing better)

IMO

Metrostars
28/01/2008, 8:07 PM
well Capello is rumoured to be calling up Dave Kitson.

FYI - Kitson has scored more goals than any other Englishman in the prem this season.

eekers
28/01/2008, 9:35 PM
FYI - Kitson has scored more goals than any other Englishman in the prem this season.

capello will be playing him upfront with marcus bent then so.

kingeric
29/01/2008, 12:14 AM
I agree.
He was baited by the media and had a Kevin Keegan moment.
Did he not say before the Welsh match that it was for the new manager to solve to Stephen Ireland situation and not him. He should have just re-iterated this.

givens is a w**ker who has too much to say about people/things he knows little about. he uses his position to promote his ego. he loves people talking about him- which is why he often has pops at players through the media. this isn't a once off "Kevin Keegan" moment, I recall a Stokes incident recently too.

he has no right to be involved with any of the ireland teams at any age level because he has proved that he cannot deal with players in a proffessional manner- especially young players.

however, he is not the only inept appointment the fai have made and continue to stand by. Gerry Smith and Vinny Butler have worse records than Stan, but the FAI brushes their dismal results under the rug. They are hidden from the spotlight of criticism; both them and the FAI can happily wallow in their mediocre state

NeilMcD
01/02/2008, 1:56 PM
http://www.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/02/01/Prem-OHara-Ireland-link/

Stuttgart88
01/02/2008, 2:03 PM
however, he is not the only inept appointment the fai have made and continue to stand by. Gerry Smith and Vinny Butler have worse records than Stan, but the FAI brushes their dismal results under the rug. They are hidden from the spotlight of criticism; both them and the FAI can happily wallow in their mediocre state Presumably a Director of International Performance would try and address this?

Instead of being the pride of the country our underage teams have become a joke, mismanagement rife based on anything I've seen. Not calling up Garvan last year for the crucial U19 game against Germany at Dalyer bcause he had the hump a year or two earlier :mad:

tetsujin1979
01/02/2008, 2:07 PM
http://www.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/02/01/Prem-OHara-Ireland-link/

If O'Hara had been called in, would we be saying "do we really want someone who didn't declare earlier on"? After all, he has underage caps for England, which Andy O'Brien has gotten grief over.

Billsthoughts
01/02/2008, 2:13 PM

You can see Givens point of view here in fairness. People shouldnt have to be coerced into playing for their country. However plenty players who were like that in the begining turned out to be as commited as anyone when it came down to it.

Noelys Guitar
01/02/2008, 3:49 PM
The 'straight talk' express strikes again. I would like to hear O'hara's version of events. How much longer is Givens going to be allowed to remain as u/21's boss?

jmurphyc
01/02/2008, 4:14 PM
How much longer is Givens going to be allowed to remain as u/21's boss?

I'd be more worried about how much longer he's going to be the Ireland manager at the moment!