PDA

View Full Version : 1928-2008 Rovers memories

Rory H
26/01/2008, 4:14 PM
Just wondering if people would like to write a few memories to commemerate the 80 year anniversary to appear on the website. can be anything in importance from '83 final/ '94 treble winning season comical moments that stand out, anything at all that sticks out in your mind from whatever era. The idea would be to get 12 and have once a month during the year . PM me if you're interested.

Rovers1
27/01/2008, 7:38 PM
Cork (a) last season :D :D Shels in cup in 2003.. my memories only really go back to Cassidy era anything before that i cant remember :(

deecay
27/01/2008, 8:26 PM
I remember the pitch invasion in 94 and a night in Ballyboefy around then

Rory H
28/01/2008, 1:06 PM
anything will do lads. 300-600 words if you can

Soper
28/01/2008, 5:06 PM
Rovers 3 Nantes 3

roversman
28/01/2008, 5:38 PM
Rovers 3 Nantes 3

who scored 2 for us that day some midfielder bit of a hardman
was it lee thew

roversman
28/01/2008, 6:36 PM
johnny kennys goal againts home farm first game underlights
class goal set us on our way to the trible

deecay
28/01/2008, 8:57 PM
Brugge at home

clubman
28/01/2008, 9:27 PM
A very novel idea.
Have been thinking about it today while I toiled.
Eighty years old, the club that is :)
I guess when I think back over my association with the Rovers I'm very fortunate to have been there for all the good times: League winners '76/77, Cup Winners '83, Treble Winners '93/'94 and League Cup Winners '97. Along with that I was present at Three FAI Cup Finals that we lost. The epic 1970 Cup Final that went to three replays and eventually lost to Bohemians. Two League Cup Final defeats at the hands of Limerick and the old enemy Shams when Mick Leach scored the winner in the dying seconds of the game in Dalymount Park. I think that was 1976, we beat Drogheda in Oriel Park in the Semi-Final and that was the night the national press sat up and took notice of the red army as we marched across the country. Rovers won 5-0 that night and Mick Leonard scored a hat-trick.
I had such great times following the Rovers down through the years but sadly the bad times way out number the good times. I suppose that's what makes following the Rovers so special. When the good times does come our way we appreciate it and grab the opportunity to party with total passion.
Memories, I could write a book. Just on the great characters that followed the Rovers. Ah Frazer Browne ... who out there remembers Frazer? Then there was Nancy Callaghan, Mrs Carrolene (not sure of the spelling), Joe Burns, The McLoughlin brothers, Bernie Fallon, Johnny Roycroft, Dawsie Fallon, Frostie Callaghan, Bee Fallon and Mrs Gaffney. The club was blessed with supporters, people that knew what the word support ment. Many's a time when the club was ready to fold the buckets came out and collections took place all over the town and county and the club pulled back from the brink. Over and over and over it happened and the loyal supporters pulled it back. In the mid 70's when the ground was almost lost to the banks it was the ordinary supporters that dug deep into their pockets to repay the debt. 90 odd people that put their love for the Rovers first. The ground was saved and put into trust so as the nightmare could never happen again. What a great gesture by ordinary working class people, many of them dead but there should be some form of monument erected in the grounds in their memory. It wouldn't take much!
That was thirty years ago, many of ye young people may not be aware of that great sacrifice but I'm sure you're well aware of another great supporter that was among us up to a couple of years ago. Another man that knew no bounds when it came to supporting his beloved Bit of Red. Mark Brindly was the ultimate away supporter. He travelled all the way from Stoke-on-Trent to every home game in the Showgrounds. Even in death he remembered the Rovers leaving the club he loved so well all that he had to his name. The amount was never publicised. His name was never remembered by the club. Like the 90 odd 30 years before his memory goes unmarked.
80 years and we have great memories. Fago lifting the Cup in the rain in Dalymount. Foxy lifting the Bass Trophy in 1977. Gavin Dykes lifting not one but three trophies in 1994.
Great memories and I was fortunate enough to be there for them all. I count myself lucky. Hopefully we'll have some more good times, god knows we deserve it.

deecay
28/01/2008, 10:55 PM
Great piece clubman

feo123
28/01/2008, 11:15 PM
sligo rovers 1-0 derry city

the end

is that ok rory?

Redie
29/01/2008, 3:38 PM
Rovers 3 Nantes 3

Originally Posted by roversman

who scored 2 for us that day some midfielder bit of a hardman
was it lee thew

The following is totally from memory and is open to contradition.

It was an Inter Toto Cup fixture, a Saturday evening kick-off (5pm) and a beautiful summer’s day. It was also the middle of the Euro 96 Championships in England and there was a game on that afternoon, it may have been England v Spain which England won after a penalty shoot-out.

At the time of kick-off the ground was only about one third full and those days Nantes were a top team and had just been beaten in the semi-final of the Champions League by eventual winners Juventus.

We went one up after ten minutes through Johnny Kenny following some good work by James Mulligan. We then went two up five minutes later thanks to a Dale Hawtin header. Nantes took their tip-off and went straight down the pitch and pulled one back. After twenty minutes it was 2 - 2 and Nantes were running riot. They laid siege to our goal for the remainder of the half but Paul Matters who was on trial in goals pulled off miracle save after miracle save to keep it level at the break.

By the start of the second half word got around town that a real cracker was taking place in the Showgrounds and the crowd had now doubled.

We started the second half well and for the first twenty minutes we dominated proceedings. Then Daniel Moreno a 6ft 4inch black lad full of enthusiasm but not too much football who was over from Holland courtesy of Tohers, gave away the penalty he always threatened to and Nantes went 3 - 2 up. There seemed no way back as the Rovers team, most of whom had just arrived in Sligo the previous week - Mark Hutchison et al - were not even into pre-season training yet and were out on their feet but with three minutes to go there was a scramble in the Nantes penalty box and Lee Thew scrambled the ball home to give Rovers a deserved draw.

At this stage the ground was full and the team received one of the biggest ovations I can ever remember as they left the pitch.

Such was the impact of the result, when we went back to the pub to watch the evening match in the Euro 96 Bill O'Herlihy gave out the scoreline at half time and believe me in those days that was something.

gustavo
29/01/2008, 3:53 PM
Rovers 3 Nantes 3

Originally Posted by roversman

The following is totally from memory and is open to contradition.

It was an Inter Toto Cup fixture, a Saturday evening kick-off (5pm) and a beautiful summer’s day. It was also the middle of the Euro 96 Championships in England and there was a game on that afternoon, it may have been England v Spain which England won after a penalty shoot-out.

At the time of kick-off the ground was only about one third full and those days Nantes were a top team and had just been beaten in the semi-final of the Champions League by eventual winners Juventus.

We went one up after ten minutes through Johnny Kenny following some good work by James Mulligan. We then went two up five minutes later thanks to a Dale Hawtin header. Nantes took their tip-off and went straight down the pitch and pulled one back. After twenty minutes it was 2 - 2 and Nantes were running riot. They laid siege to our goal for the remainder of the half but Paul Matters who was on trial in goals pulled off miracle save after miracle save to keep it level at the break.

By the start of the second half word got around town that a real cracker was taking place in the Showgrounds and the crowd had now doubled.

We started the second half well and for the first twenty minutes we dominated proceedings. Then Daniel Moreno a 6ft 4inch black lad full of enthusiasm but not too much football who was over from Holland courtesy of Tohers, gave away the penalty he always threatened to and Nantes went 3 - 2 up. There seemed no way back as the Rovers team, most of whom had just arrived in Sligo the previous week - Mark Hutchison et al - were not even into pre-season training yet and were out on their feet but with three minutes to go there was a scramble in the Nantes penalty box and Lee Thew scrambled the ball home to give Rovers a deserved draw.

At this stage the ground was full and the team received one of the biggest ovations I can ever remember as they left the pitch.

Such was the impact of the result, when we went back to the pub to watch the evening match in the Euro 96 Bill O'Herlihy gave out the scoreline at half time and believe me in those days that was something.
Fair play Redie , Dale Hawtin was a good player as I recall

Redie
29/01/2008, 4:08 PM
Fair play Redie , Dale Hawtin was a good player as I recall

He was an excellent player. Like most of that team it was just his second game with the club, the first was against Heerenveen which was played the previous week in the Showgrounds - that also was a good game, finished 0 - 0. I Think he played at least Two seasons with us but not sure if he was there when we we got relegated with Cassidy?
Also, I'm sure I've spelt his surname incorrectly.

Soper
29/01/2008, 4:36 PM
I remember at that Nantes game, I wore a Cantona mask for the whole match...what a silly 9/10 year old I was.

gustavo
29/01/2008, 6:17 PM
He was an excellent player. Like most of that team it was just his second game with the club, the first was against Heerenveen which was played the previous week in the Showgrounds - that also was a good game, finished 0 - 0. I Think he played at least Two seasons with us but not sure if he was there when we we got relegated with Cassidy?
Also, I'm sure I've spelt his surname incorrectly.
Nah , He only stayed the one season , He wasnt there in 98-99 when we had the Great Escape

Knappagh Red
30/01/2008, 9:06 PM
I remember most of the Rovers team had just arrived in town and were staying in the Southern and drinking in Carrs, there were a few French lads over for the game and a French radio station did a few interviews in the week leading up to the fixture. Those results are up there with the best of the LOI in Europe and were virtually ignored by the national media.

red_away
31/01/2008, 12:08 PM
Great piece from Redie....sadly i am old enuff to remember these people and episodes (although thankfully not as old as Avenalaff)...i too have had many great times with the bitored but sadly many more bad times. My favourite game was Brugge away as it was always a dream of mine to see my team play away in europe and Great craic also.

But all trophies and european games were great just to be involved but the main games i remember most vividly was trying to beat the all conquering shams teams of the 70's and 80's - nearly unbeatable in LOI standards.

avvenalaf
31/01/2008, 2:01 PM
Red Away, I have reported you to Simprered.

Knappagh Red
31/01/2008, 2:07 PM
Did Claude Makelele definitaly play in the Nantes game?

showgies
31/01/2008, 2:46 PM

Jon Dahl Tomasson played in the Heerenveen side

Redie
31/01/2008, 3:31 PM
Originally Posted by Knappagh Red

He was at the club at the time but not sure if he played in the Showgrounds that day. there was a 'programme' given out that day - A4 page folded - with both squads listed and I kept it for years but cannot find it now.

showgies
31/01/2008, 3:42 PM

Jean Michel Ferri ex Liverpool played for Nantes

showgies
31/01/2008, 3:44 PM
He was at the club at the time but not sure if he played in the Showgrounds that day. there was a 'programme' given out that day - A4 page folded - with both squads listed and I kept it for years but cannot find it now.

Must look for my programme too and I may have kept newspaper clippings (if any).......I have TV footage of the Heerenveen game on video, but I don't think there were cameras at the Nantes game

Redie
31/01/2008, 3:52 PM
Must look for my programme too and I may have kept newspaper clippings (if any).......I have TV footage of the Heerenveen game on video, but I don't think there were cameras at the Nantes game

Definately no cameras at the Nantes game and barely a report on the game in The Champion either. I'm now determined to get both squads from somewhere on the Internet

showgies
31/01/2008, 3:55 PM
Definately no cameras at the Nantes game and barely a report on the game in The Champion either. I'm now determined to get both squads from somewhere on the Internet

You try the internet and I'll try my loft

gustavo
31/01/2008, 4:15 PM
Didnt get the team vs Nantes but this is the team for the Kaunas game

SLIGO: 1-Nicholas BROUJOS, 2-Scott BLAIR, 3-Mark HUTCHISON, 4-Darren GROGAN, 5-Dale HAWTIN, 6-John KENNY, 7-Ian Roger GILZEAN, 8-Padraig MORAN, 9-Lee THEW (37' 12-Aidan ROONEY), 10-James MULLIGAN, 11-Ian LYNCH.

Redie
31/01/2008, 4:16 PM
Just got this off Wikipedia.
That year - 1996 - Rovers were in a group of % in the inter Toto Cup with each team to play each other once.
June 22nd Rovers drew 0 - 0 With Heerenveen at Home
June 29th Rovers lost 4 - 0 to Lillestrom S.K, away
July 6th Rovers drew 3 - 3 with Nantes. Home
July 13th Rovers lost 1 - 0 to FBK Kaunes. Away in Lithuania.

This is the Final Table

Team Pts Pld W D L GF GA GD
1. FC Nantes Atlantique 10 4 3 1 0 12 7 +5
2. Lillestrøm S.K. 9 4 3 0 1 11 4 +7
3. SC Heerenveen 4 4 1 1 2 4 5 -1
4. FBK Kaunas 3 4 1 0 3 4 10 -6
5. Sligo Rovers F.C. 2 4 0 2 2 3 8 -5

Redie
31/01/2008, 4:20 PM
Didnt get the team vs Nantes but this is the team for the Kaunas game

SLIGO: 1-Nicholas BROUJOS, 2-Scott BLAIR, 3-Mark HUTCHISON, 4-Darren GROGAN, 5-Dale HAWTIN, 6-John KENNY, 7-Ian Roger GILZEAN, 8-Padraig MORAN, 9-Lee THEW (37' 12-Aidan ROONEY), 10-James MULLIGAN, 11-Ian LYNCH.

Nice One
Cannot remember Scott Blair whatsoever but Darren Grogan is a name I had completely forgotten and brings a smile to the face. Boy did he get some stick

gustavo
31/01/2008, 4:28 PM
Nice One
Cannot remember Scott Blair whatsoever but Darren Grogan is a name I had completely forgotten and brings a smile to the face. Boy did he get some stick

Was he a bit of a long haired poser? Name rings a bell

showgies
31/01/2008, 5:21 PM
Rovers
Mathers, Blair, Hawtin, Lynch, Hutch, Kenny, Moreno, Thew, Moran, Gilzean, Mulligan Sub used Rooney

Nantes
Loussouaran, Chanelet, Le Dizet, Decroix, Guyot, Ferri, Le Roux, Gourvennec, Carotti, n'Doram, Kosecki, Subs used: Sauinaud, Monterubio

Redie
01/02/2008, 8:56 AM
Rovers
Mathers, Blair, Hawtin, Lynch, Hutch, Kenny, Moreno, Thew, Moran, Gilzean, Mulligan Sub used Rooney

Nantes
Loussouaran, Chanelet, Le Dizet, Decroix, Guyot, Ferri, Le Roux, Gourvennec, Carotti, n'Doram, Kosecki, Subs used: Sauinaud, Monterubio

Well Done Showgies - did that come from the Internet or the Loft?
I think Eric Decroix made a bit of a name for himself but none of the other Nantes names look too familiar.

dublinred
01/02/2008, 9:05 AM
during the 94 season there was a camera at every game , does anyone know where the footage went?

biscuit
01/02/2008, 9:18 AM
Nice One

haha yeah!he had a red mushroom shaped barnet from what i remember..he got stick for that and the fact he was muck useless.
wasnt he on the books at spurs at one stage or another:ball:

showgies
01/02/2008, 9:18 AM
I think Eric Decroix made a bit of a name for himself but none of the other Nantes names look too familiar.

Loft wins !!

Sligo Champion 10th July 1996

Technology eh !!

showgies
01/02/2008, 9:19 AM
haha yeah!he had a red mushroom shaped barnet from what i remember..he got stick for that and the fact he was muck useless.
wasnt he on the books at spurs at one stage or another:ball:

I actually thought Grogan was a decent player, good passer, probably a bit small and light for the league

gustavo
01/02/2008, 9:33 AM

I think n'Doram might have played for France once or twice

avvenalaf
01/02/2008, 12:52 PM
I actually thought Grogan was a decent player, good passer, probably a bit small and light for the league

Yeah, Showgies, but you have matured since then. The guy was a man in a childs body. A fart would knock him down.

srfc1928
01/02/2008, 5:15 PM
grogan was tiny, didnt suit the rough and tumble of LOI football, and thats the kindest thing i can say about him. i vaguely remember a game and he was so bad he was taken off in the first half, it got the biggest cheer of the match.

Redie
03/02/2008, 6:12 PM
grogan was tiny, didnt suit the rough and tumble of LOI football, and thats the kindest thing i can say about him. i vaguely remember a game and he was so bad he was taken off in the first half, it got the biggest cheer of the match.

But I seem to remember him scoring a last minute winner in some game - and a gem of a goal it was too. up to that point everyone was screaming for him to be taken off.

gerardchrystal
06/02/2008, 10:01 AM
Theres Only One Memory

Cup Final 93-94

The Only Person Ever To Run On The Pitch In Landsdown Road, And Get Into Team Photo And Of Course On The Telly

Pricesless Memory Or What? Does Any One Remember

gerardchrystal
06/02/2008, 10:08 AM
ok a--h--e .93-94season,were you even aloud to go to the game or were you born evenl

clubman
06/02/2008, 6:02 PM
Theres Only One Memory

Cup Final 93-94

The Only Person Ever To Run On The Pitch In Landsdown Road, And Get Into Team Photo And Of Course On The Telly

Pricesless Memory Or What? Does Any One Remember

Hi chicken,

Did you ever get a copy of that photo.
I remember it well, thought it was priceless.
Still laugh about it today.
You certainly were our lucky mascot that day.

gerardchrystal
07/02/2008, 1:51 PM
I Actually Got The Photo In Colour From Shoot Magazine That Year In There Annual. Have It In A Frame In The House,can Anyone Tell Me Where I Can Get Video Of Game Onto Dvd Format,a Couple Of People Have Asked Me For The Incident In Question Over The Last Couple Of Days ?

Only1Rovers
07/02/2008, 2:39 PM
I Actually Got The Photo In Colour From Shoot Magazine That Year In There Annual. Have It In A Frame In The House,can Anyone Tell Me Where I Can Get Video Of Game Onto Dvd Format,a Couple Of People Have Asked Me For The Incident In Question Over The Last Couple Of Days ?

Can you elaborate on what actually happened?:confused:

gerardchrystal
07/02/2008, 3:26 PM
Basically Was Sitting Down In Seat In Landsdowne And Just Leaped Over The Metal Barrier,ran Onto Pitch Heading For Center Circle And The Rovers Team Was Getting Official Photo Taken,stood Beside The Players While Camera Was Panning Through All The Players And Started Waving Matcday Programme To Rovers Fans,ran Back To Stand And Everyone Stood Up And Cheered Whilst A Guard Ran After Me |||\\ What More Can I Say Its All On Tape

Can You Beat That {priceless}:

roversman
07/02/2008, 6:34 PM
Basically Was Sitting Down In Seat In Landsdowne And Just Leaped Over The Metal Barrier,ran Onto Pitch Heading For Center Circle And The Rovers Team Was Getting Official Photo Taken,stood Beside The Players While Camera Was Panning Through All The Players And Started Waving Matcday Programme To Rovers Fans,ran Back To Stand And Everyone Stood Up And Cheered Whilst A Guard Ran After Me |||\\ What More Can I Say Its All On Tape

Can You Beat That {priceless}:

chicken your a legend i remember it well:)

roversman
07/02/2008, 7:27 PM
well have to say seeing us win the league has to be the top memory for me
then 83 cup final and then the treble
but heres one a lot will like
its seeing the cops baton charge the linfield fans all the way down to the railway end well the beat the crap out of them