PDA

View Full Version : rte tv sport add this week

oriel
25/01/2008, 8:50 PM
Anyone see it ? advertisement for sport on tv on rte in 2008 ? 1 min clip features gaa, rugby, champs lge, euro 2008, horse racing and even 'the premiership' (even though the new and legal/marketing name for the top div across the water changed to 'the premier league' last summer )

not a single mention of the LOI in the advert, a total disgrace, as if we didnt know they only included coverage this year as they had to as part of the fai deal.

tos#ers

oldyouth
25/01/2008, 9:00 PM
Haven't seen it but if what you say is true, then I agree. RTE is located in a suburb of London

Dunny
25/01/2008, 9:03 PM
Its a 1 minute add, calm yourselves we will have a whole programme:D

finnpark
25/01/2008, 9:04 PM
Anyone see it ? advertisement for sport on tv on rte in 2008 ? 1 min clip features gaa, rugby, champs lge, euro 2008, horse racing and even 'the premiership' (even though the new and legal/marketing name for the top div across the water changed to 'the premier league' last summer )

not a single mention of the LOI in the advert, a total disgrace, as if we didnt know they only included coverage this year as they had to as part of the fai deal.

tos#ers

Viewing figures are very low for Eircom league soccer. The main reasons for this lack of interest is lack of other general media interest, poor crowds and stadiums, timing of matches (usually on primetime Friday night when the most viewed programmes are aired on RTE 1), the standard of football and the fact that most people in the arts/media circle are fascinated by the big glamour. They are not really sporting people. Most are just interested in Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool etc and don't have a clue about the real values of being a football supporter :ball:

I think that the matches should be on a Thursady (or even Monday to Wednesday) night. For example Sky Sports main matches are not on Friday night when most people are watching prime time TV jammed with verry popular programmes. Midweek is the right night to watch soccer, not weekend!

oriel
25/01/2008, 9:09 PM
Ok, but if RTE had INCLUDED the LOI in this advert, dont you think even more of the sporting public might be tempted to watch some of it on tv and dare I say maybe even venture out to any of the 22 grounds the odd night ?

I sent off a complaint email to rte sport last year asking why they start off their radio sportsnews with uk football before local games taking place in our country that very same day - got the usual response of 'we provide hundreds of hours of radio service to loi and also the tv bit, but they did say they wil consider my point' (ie on fri nights)

Lets all take a good listen to fri night sports bulletins to see if they have made this change to the 2008 season

finnpark
25/01/2008, 9:19 PM
Everything on RTE seems to be British these days. Even the Late Late Show has mostly British gueats now.

Premiership is easy to pull in viewers as the papers and UK TV stations are doing all the marketing for them.

One thing that I would like to complain to RTE about is the standard of the broadcasts at LOI matches. Now I know that for even GAA that RTE are not very professional but the package before, during and after LOI games lets our league down. I think that they should not be allowed to air LOI matches. :D

Setanta and TV3 are 3 leagues ahead of RTE imo. RTE sports producers should watch Setanta and TV3 to see how its done. Easy known they are getting paid tax payers money!:(

Dunny
25/01/2008, 9:24 PM
Just wondering...Will ELOI weekly still be on TV3 this year? Only asking because of this RTE weekly show..

gufcfan
25/01/2008, 10:06 PM
There were rumours of a Thursday preview show on TV3, but as I say, it was only a rumour AFAIK. I would be happy with that though. RTE doing the highlights and TV3 doing a preview.

Soper
26/01/2008, 9:37 AM
''ok''

oldyouth
26/01/2008, 11:35 AM
British people and sports suck. Irish less so but still kinda. Munster rock, but the Eircom League is a shamble.

American sports is where it's at. Go Patriots. ^_^
Thanks Ciaran, I feel better now. I thought I was the only one here who makes stupid comments with too much gargle on board. Can't wait for your next one

BohDiddley
26/01/2008, 11:43 AM
the Eircom League is a shamble
Could be worse... we could be several shambles :D

Boo_Boy
26/01/2008, 3:38 PM
American sports is where it's at. Go Patriots. ^_^

hows Tom Brady these days?,every patriots fan must be ****ting themselves waiting for the injury report!:D:p

pete
27/01/2008, 3:18 PM
The viewing figures for "Premiership" highlights show are in fact very modest usually in top 15-20 RTE2 shows in a week. I wonder how much it costs RTE to buy rights & broadcast show.

TonyD
27/01/2008, 6:35 PM
RTE sport ads have been consistent in this regard for the past number of years. It's like they're embarrassed by having to show local football and are doing their best to sneak it out while no one notices. I don't think for a moment it's going to solve all the ills of our local game, but some of the goals over the last few seaons would have sat very nicely into these adverts and you never know, just might peak some interest. Every little helps. On a related note, when do RTE even advertise that they've got a big local game on ? If there's one thing that's been proven (mostly by Sky) over the last few years, it's that hype works. If you act like something matters, then in peoples minds it does take on a greater significance. One of the main reasons the vast majority of people think that local football doesn't matter is that they're constantly subliminally bombarded by the message that it doesn't.

Joey Killester
27/01/2008, 7:31 PM
You're right about the hype thing. I remeber when Sky were showing Cliftonville vs Linfield I think a few months ago, and before the match they were buliding it as this epic clash of rivals, with a video package of the area and history of the clubs, or it was something like that anyway I cant remeber, but it was really effective in, as you say, making the game seem like it matters.

The Man Himself
28/01/2008, 3:46 PM
what kind of money is in this for the 1st div teams?