PDA

View Full Version : Welcome

Pages : 1 [2]

stann
07/02/2008, 12:15 PM
We spoke our own language until the mid 1800's when it became extinct. It was a mixture of old English and Old Norse with Gaelic influences. Fingal was originally named by the Vikings and was populated by a mix of Norsemen and Irish at the time.

Not only that, but I'm sure there's a quote in a book at home that gives ye a sound claim to be the oldest footballing area in the country, how 'bout that for a bit of history for our newest club?
It's from way back around the Tudor times IIRC and seems to be identifying Fingall (sic) as the only part of the country where football is played. I'll root it out but won't be able to put it up until tomorrow.

bluemovie
07/02/2008, 8:30 PM
We spoke our own language until the mid 1800's when it became extinct.

You still do....Polish.

forza rovers
08/02/2008, 5:35 PM
who is their manger and do will they have a squad ready for the start of the season?

TheFingallian
08/02/2008, 6:25 PM
who is their manger and do will they have a squad ready for the start of the season?

Liam Buckley is the manager. I think they've got most of their squad already (mainly from Bray Wanderers). They play a friendly against the aforementioned Bray towards the end of the month so they better have the team ready!

forza rovers
08/02/2008, 8:08 PM
Liam Buckley is the manager. I think they've got most of their squad already (mainly from Bray Wanderers). They play a friendly against the aforementioned Bray towards the end of the month so they better have the team ready!
thank you

stann
12/02/2008, 12:01 PM
Now, something to add to the wikipedia entry for whoever is doing that, and a chance to lord it over Athlone or Bohs or whoever is claiming senority in Ireland these days, a line that I got from Eoghan Corry's excellent book of Irish soccer quotes.
It's from 1698, not Tudor times (short-term memory is shot to sh!t), but what harm, still the earliest domestic football reference I'm aware of, when a travelling gentleman called John Dunton writes of the Irish:
'They do not play often at football, only in a small territory called Fingal near Dublin where the people use it much, and trip and shoulder very handsomely'.

ramondo
13/02/2008, 1:21 AM
We spoke our own language until the mid 1800's when it became extinct...

I think it survived in Glassmore.

Derek
04/03/2008, 11:15 PM
You shall be called "Sheridan 2".

There can be only one Sheridan!

Ash
10/03/2008, 12:23 PM
There can be only one Sheridan!

And there was that other fella ... with the drum ;) :p

Santry_Goonshow
18/03/2008, 12:47 PM
Now, something to add to the wikipedia entry for whoever is doing that, and a chance to lord it over Athlone or Bohs or whoever is claiming senority in Ireland these days, a line that I got from Eoghan Corry's excellent book of Irish soccer quotes.
It's from 1698, not Tudor times (short-term memory is shot to sh!t), but what harm, still the earliest domestic football reference I'm aware of, when a travelling gentleman called John Dunton writes of the Irish:
'They do not play often at football, only in a small territory called Fingal near Dublin where the people use it much, and trip and shoulder very handsomely'.

Stann, inspired bit of research there! Can you givez a full reference for that book?

Fingal = The forgotten bit of "County Dublin";)

stann
21/03/2008, 11:25 PM
Stann, inspired bit of research there! Can you givez a full reference for that book?

Fingal = The forgotten bit of "County Dublin";)

I can surely.
The book is called 'The Nation Holds Its Breath: Great Irish Soccer Quotations' by Eoghan Corry
It's ISBN is 0-340-92152-8

There's only that one quote on the subject though. When I find it again I'll give ya the page number. :)

Santry_Goonshow
22/03/2008, 9:00 AM
I can surely.
The book is called 'The Nation Holds Its Breath: Great Irish Soccer Quotations' by Eoghan Corry
It's ISBN is 0-340-92152-8

There's only that one quote on the subject though. When I find it again I'll give ya the page number. :)

Your a legend - absolutely fabulous - you should check the SFFC reference on wiki

stann
22/03/2008, 6:28 PM
Ha ha good stuff.
Not sure you should be taking my word for it that it's the oldest reference though! :D

Santry_Goonshow
22/03/2008, 10:18 PM
Ha ha good stuff.
Not sure you should be taking my word for it that it's the oldest reference though! :D

The wiki rule = let it sit there to be corrected if untrue:p

dcfcsteve
10/04/2008, 10:53 PM
Ha ha good stuff.

Sadly it isn't. There are at least 3 earlier references to football in Ireland - stretching back to 1518, when the Archbishop of Duiblin banned clergy from playing it, as they were damaging church property. :D

The fact that "foot ball" was banned by the Sunday Observance Act of 1695 is also sufficient clue to the fact that there was plenty of football in Ireland prior to that quote from 1698.

So sadly the Wiki entry will require correction ;)