PDA

View Full Version : Drumcondra

Steve Bruce
25/01/2008, 1:13 PM
I was talking with my granda about football way back when. He said Drumcodra(or something like that) where a fine team. Has anyone got any background on this club and what happened to them?

Sam_Heggy
25/01/2008, 1:15 PM
I was talking with my granda about football way back when. He said Drumcodra(or something like that) where a fine team. Has anyone got any background on this club and what happened to them?

Bertie Ahern doesn't support any LOI team since "his team" Drumcondra went out of business. They are just round the corner from Shels.

Steve Bruce
25/01/2008, 1:20 PM
Bertie Ahern doesn't support any LOI team since "his team" Drumcondra went out of business. They are just round the corner from Shels.

I appreciate the response, but was looking for something a bit more indepth.

Thanks

LeixlipRed
25/01/2008, 1:25 PM
Drumcondra were formally a league club and former inhabitants of Tolka. They went out of business many moons ago. 72 maybe. They joined with Home Farm (rough end of the deal afaik, who was involved in this? Kilcoynes?? ) when they went out of business. They won a few league titles and played in Europe. Still feature in one of the junior leagues nowadays. Or LSL maybe. Not sure

EDIT: The jersey in my avatar was a tribute to Drums to try intice some of their fans to games btw

McShels
25/01/2008, 2:25 PM
Heres a link from wikpedia on Drums

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drumcondra_F.C.

Now they have schoolboy teams playing in Clonturk Pk (directly opp. Tolka Pk) and a team in the LSL. Currently, the LSL team play their home games in Morton Stadium

drummerboy
25/01/2008, 2:43 PM
McShels is right. Club still going strong albeit at intermediate level. They reached the third round of the FAI Cup three years ago, beated by UCD i think. They won the LOI 5 times and the FAI Cup 5 times.

cornerflag
25/01/2008, 3:01 PM
My Grandfather played for them back in the 30's i think it was. Dom Healy was his name. I don't actually know a huge amount about them but ive seen some medals about the house belonging to him and theres a photo from a newspaper from 1935.

There is a Drumcondra in LSL Div 1A and a Drumcondra Athletic in LSL Div 1B.
I was at a Rathcoole Boys v Drums Ath game and i got talking to a man there. He claims that Drums Ath are the 'REAL' Drumcondra. Im not sure if thats 100% true or not but he did seem passionate about what he was tellin me.

drummerboy
25/01/2008, 3:32 PM
My Grandfather played for them back in the 30's i think it was. Dom Healy was his name. I don't actually know a huge amount about them but ive seen some medals about the house belonging to him and theres a photo from a newspaper from 1935.

There is a Drumcondra in LSL Div 1A and a Drumcondra Athletic in LSL Div 1B.
I was at a Rathcoole Boys v Drums Ath game and i got talking to a man there. He claims that Drums Ath are the 'REAL' Drumcondra. Im not sure if thats 100% true or not but he did seem passionate about what he was tellin me.

Its not true. Athletic only started up about 10 years ago. Drumcondra FC reformed in the 70s after HOme Farm took over Tolka Park.

cornerflag
25/01/2008, 3:41 PM
Fair enough maybe the old timer had his wires crossed. where do Drumcondra FC play these days?

RĂ©iteoir
25/01/2008, 4:58 PM
Get a hold of a copy of "Who Stole Our Game" - The Fall and Fall of Irish Soccer by Daire Whelan.

Good account of the decline of the League and a good chapter or two on the Drums - Rovers rivalry from way back when

Gareth
25/01/2008, 9:52 PM
My father was a big drums fan. Went on to be a shels fan. My dad often mentioned how he left a Drums game ( this would have been the 50s I think) and they were 3-0 up at half time against I THINK Shams, and he went to watch Shels play cos that game was over, only to find Rovers beat them 4-3 in the end. I never seen a League of Ireland Drums game. They were merged with Home Farm in 71-72 and chanegd to Home Famr Drumcondra FC but changed back the next season to just Home Farm. But I am sure the wiki says that. I just heard this so many time growing up. Now even sure its true :)

drummerboy
27/01/2008, 12:26 PM
Drums play in Morton Stadium.

damoGUFC
27/01/2008, 1:52 PM
Was in dublin for an interview yesterday and met a taxi driver who played for them..name was pat symth i think! He played in most grounds in ireland.

WindmillWarrior
27/01/2008, 3:52 PM
Didn't Drumcondra used to get savage crowds? They were the main northside club and Rovers the main southsiders. The derbies were massive games with massive crowds. In short, massive.

seand60
28/01/2008, 1:59 PM
Maybe the goalkeepers name was MICK Smyth?

McShels
28/01/2008, 3:18 PM
Didn't Drumcondra used to get savage crowds? They were the main northside club and Rovers the main southsiders. The derbies were massive games with massive crowds. In short, massive.

Yea they did especially for the games with Rovers. My Dad followed Drums and he has told me stories of going to a game in Tolks 2 hours before kick off to make sure he got in (He's from Seville Place in the City Centre)

Mr A
28/01/2008, 4:49 PM

They did I think, but by the time Harps entered the league their crowds had dropped away hugely. According to Patsy McGowan's book anyway!

dcfcsteve
29/01/2008, 10:22 AM
They did I think, but by the time Harps entered the league their crowds had dropped away hugely. According to Patsy McGowan's book anyway!

The competitive appeal of the Ballyboforlar heroes spread all the way to the nation's capital, eh....?!?

;)

Stato
30/01/2008, 5:43 PM

The guy you were talking to was probably Tim Grace. He's an uncle of the two goalkeeping brothers Jim and John Grace. He lives in Drumcondra and set up Drumcondra Ath about 15 years ago. I think he considers them the "real" Drumcondra because they train and play in Drumcondra whereas the other Drums play in Santry. John Grace played in goal for their first team for a few seasons, think he might have retired now.

OwlsFan
31/01/2008, 2:50 PM
I went to many Drums vs Rovers games. Crowds weren't any bigger than for the Shels vs Rovers games. No fear of getting crushed to death but they were sizeable enough. I think they used to play in sky blue jerseys if memory serves me right.

drummerboy
31/01/2008, 3:25 PM
Drums traditional colours were always yellow jerseys and blue nicks. However towards the end of their league Ireland days, they did wear a light blue strip. Remember seeing Pete Mahon and Eoin Hand playing for Drums in those days. That was the 70s. But in the 60s I'm told it was full houses all the way.

cornerflag
31/01/2008, 3:56 PM
i have a picture from a newspaper clipping with the drums starting 11 from 1945. the kit has white shorts and the jersey has hoops on it. wouldn have a clue about the colours tho. doesnt say who they were playing against tho so i dunno if it was an away kit or not

dcfcsteve
31/01/2008, 6:43 PM
i have a picture from a newspaper clipping with the drums starting 11 from 1945. the kit has white shorts and the jersey has hoops on it. wouldn have a clue about the colours tho. doesnt say who they were playing against tho so i dunno if it was an away kit or not

Sounds a bit like the Home Farm kit.

Rovers weren't homeless in those days, so can't have been them..... ;)

drummerboy
31/01/2008, 9:09 PM
I attached a pic of the Drums team that played against Athletico Madrid in the early 60s in the Inter City Fairs Cup

GavinZac
31/01/2008, 10:57 PM
I attached a pic of the Drums team that played against Athletico Madrid in the early 60s in the Inter City Fairs Cup

Doesnt seem to ahve worked. upload it to www.imageshack.us or something

KK77
14/10/2009, 11:11 AM
My uncle played for Drums (Bernard Carroll). Would have been the late 60's/70's.

Ash
14/10/2009, 11:40 AM
Brian DaSalvo also played in goals for Drums for a while

White Horse
14/10/2009, 1:25 PM
Drums. Now that was a real northside club.

Straightstory
14/10/2009, 1:56 PM
Drums traditional colours were always yellow jerseys and blue nicks.

I had them (and in fact, still have them - as I've just checked) in Subbuteo. Officially listed in the catalogue: 'Yellow shorts and blue sleeves'. Same colours as Bangor.

Straightstory
14/10/2009, 1:57 PM
Sorry - 'yellow SHIRTS and blue sleeves'....