PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Ireland

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85

cornerflag
24/01/2008, 10:42 PM
im not sure if my ears were playin tricks on me but i was in a cab a little while ago and i thought i heard on the radio that stephen ireland was unhappy about not being in the ireland squad v brazil.

anyone hear the same or am i just goin insane in my oldish age?

TheBoss
24/01/2008, 11:14 PM
He was unhappy quite a few months back to be fair but does not seem to be showing it.

tetsujin1979
24/01/2008, 11:21 PM
im not sure if my ears were playin tricks on me but i was in a cab a little while ago and i thought i heard on the radio that stephen ireland was unhappy about not being in the ireland squad v brazil.

anyone hear the same or am i just goin insane in my oldish age?
Any chance you remember what station it was on? Might be something on the station's homepage?

cornerflag
24/01/2008, 11:53 PM
i dunno, maybe i heard wrong. ive been searching online since ive gotten home and found nothing. i see the tickets for the brazil game are goin on sale tomorrow on ticketmaster tho. slightly off topic but it got me a bit excited

Wangball
25/01/2008, 12:03 AM
Shock Horror Stephen Ireland is unhappy about something.....in more shocking news we can report a man has been bitten by a dog...and Bill Cosby isn't a real doctor

I don't like Don Givens but he was right in this case, Stephen Ireland made a very public statement about how he didn't want to be considered for international duty due to his various problems, in the last few months he's said nothing publicly to suggest he is ready to resume his international career.....I don't think its up to Givens to approach him and ask if he fancies it, this friendly has been planned for quite some time, If Ireland were so desperate to play in it he should of went to the FAI or whomever and made himself available

Givens may be a lot of things (a limited manager for instance) but one thing he most certainly isn't is psychic

eirebhoy
25/01/2008, 7:31 AM
Givens was a silly with his comments yesterday.

“An awful lot of people would give their right arm to pull on that green shirt. He doesn’t want to.”

"I am not going to drive up to Manchester to be humiliated by someone like that."

"I want commitment from the other side."

“This Association bent over backward for him, the previous manager [Stephen Staunton] flew to Manchester to talk to him, and he turned it down.”

All that's doing is annoying Ireland and he may feel it's not worth it.

Stuttgart88
25/01/2008, 7:36 AM
Givens should have said less yesterday but really it's the new manager's job to get him back into the fold. It' can be a fresh start for all concerned.

Lionel Ritchie
25/01/2008, 7:38 AM

“An awful lot of people would give their right arm to pull on that green shirt. He doesn’t want to.”

"I am not going to drive up to Manchester to be humiliated by someone like that."

“This Association bent over backward for him, the previous manager [Stephen Staunton] flew to Manchester to talk to him, and he turned it down.”

Strongly disagree. Givens has taken the right tack with SI as far as I'm concerned. Enough mollycoddling. If he wants to play then he has to make himself available. Nobody should have to go to him cap in hand every time we've a game.

Kingdom
25/01/2008, 7:44 AM
Strongly disagree. Givens has taken the right tack with SI as far as I'm concerned. Enough mollycoddling. If he wants to play then he has to make himself available. Nobody should have to go to him cap in hand every time we've a game.

I've no time for Givens as regards his ability with the U21's, but I think he's spot on in this situation.

jbyrne
25/01/2008, 7:44 AM

couldnt agree more. enough is enough. why should givens pussyfoot around ireland?

drummerboy
25/01/2008, 7:51 AM
Not much time for Givens either but I agree with his stance. The ball is firmly in Stephen Ireland's court. If he wants back in, he should be making the first moves.

noby
25/01/2008, 7:51 AM
couldnt agree more. enough is enough. why should givens pussyfoot around ireland?

I agree with your agreement on LR's strong disagreement. Sure, you could argue that, being only a care-taker, he went too far, but I think he's spot on. The ball is in Ireland's court, and he's the one that has to show he wants it.

Greenforever
25/01/2008, 8:00 AM
In Givens day, the players often paid to play for Ireland such was their committment to the cause. I remember them staying in both the Central Hotel on Exchequor St (spelling wrong) and the Tara Towers and they paid their own room service bills inc phone calls. Phone bills often exceeded the match fee in those days yet nobody retired early from International football, nor pulled out because of fake injurys. While Don is not management quality his atitude iw 100% correct. Remember Stephen IReland still hasnt paid for the chartered plane for his grannies funerals, we have.

That is why we need someone like Brady or McCarthy as new manager, someone that is all about Ireland not someone flash, who really doesnt give a toss.

ifk101
25/01/2008, 8:00 AM
Again whatever you think about Givens he's brutally honest and trustworthy. "People" have gone out of their way for Stephen Ireland and as the saying goes "once bitten, twice shy". If he wants to play for us, he's going to have to show it. Otherwise let's not waste anymore time on him as it's about the team, not the individual.

geysir
25/01/2008, 8:05 AM
Its the journalists who are making the mini sh1tstorm out of nothing.
Given's stance was quite clear before the Wales game, everything was explained in detail and that it was up to the next manager to deal with it.
Nothing has changed.
The next manager has not come in yet, so the fxtwit journalists just can't let it drop. Givens should have told them all to féck off and drop the issue after shoving a microphone down on one those swarmy radio reporters.

Wolfie
25/01/2008, 8:11 AM

In agreement with the above. It was up to Ireland to make contact and I think he needs a clear message that its up to him to resolve the situation.

He's been pandered to enough and he needs to grow up.

Noelys Guitar
25/01/2008, 8:14 AM
Why aren't the Journos asking Givens how somone with such an abysmall record with the U/21's is
A. Still managing the u/21's
B. The chief amigo involved in selecting our new manager
C. Selecting and picking teams for senior internationals
D. Involved in so many public disputes with Irish players including saying yesterday that Stephen Ireland does not want to wear the Green shirt. This is the same Givens who does not want to manage the senior team FT(and yet somehow will be managing the senior team 'again' on Feb 6th)

Ireland4ever
25/01/2008, 8:18 AM
For once i agree with Givens. If Stephen Ireland doesnt want to play for HIS COUNTRTY then his country dosent want him. Theres only so much you can do, as givens said we need to see a bit of commitment from the other side. The lack of respect he is showing towards Ireland and the fans is disgraceful.

noby
25/01/2008, 8:19 AM
Why aren't the Journos ...

Absolutely, but that's an entirely different issue.

geysir
25/01/2008, 8:20 AM
It´s simple, Givens has nothing to do with the dispute with Stephen Ireland. He is not involved, he doesn´t´want to be involved (mercifully).

Noelys Guitar
25/01/2008, 8:24 AM
Absolutely, but that's an entirely different issue.
Givens the straight talker! Did you hoop and holler when Kerr got the job by any chance?

eirebhoy
If he wants to play then he has to make himself available.
That's all Givens had to say. The way Givens was talking you'd think Ireland asked a few journalists to ask Don if he could be considered for the squad.

Not much time for Givens either but I agree with his stance. The ball is firmly in Stephen Ireland's court. If he wants back in, he should be making the first moves.
Again, S.Ireland knows that.

In fact everyone agreeing with Givens comments are of the "ball in Ireland's court" opinion. So am I. Of course I agree that Ireland has to make a phone call if he wants to be in the next squad. That's not my point.

Billsthoughts

Have to say I totally agree. I have never been in the "lets burn Ireland at the stake" camp but in fairness he made a decision and he has to make the decision to come back. What Givens said was totally right.

Ireland4ever
25/01/2008, 8:26 AM
"lets burn Ireland at the stake" .

Good Idea Billy, lets burn Ireland at the stake!!:D:D

noby
25/01/2008, 8:33 AM
Did you hoop and holler when Kerr got the job by any chance?

Eh!? You've lost me there. I agree that Givens should have to account for himself in his apparent job-for-life with the U21s. I also agree on his stance (if slightly misguided) here. That is all.

shakermaker1982
25/01/2008, 8:44 AM
If we weren't playing Brazil would he be interested in a February Friendly? Watch how many of our players pull out of this glamour fixture compared to the Welsh game.

Kingdom
25/01/2008, 8:59 AM
Givens the straight talker! Did you hoop and holler when Kerr got the job by any chance?

I think he's asking are you a journo? I'm not sure though:)
In fairness Noely whilst i didn't hoop or holler, I was proud as punch that someone like Kerr was given the opportunity to manage the Senior team, for two reasons. He never had to go abroad to get the opportunity and secondly he's done a lot for the game here and is the only successful manager this country has had on an international level.
that gets discarded too often these days.

eirebhoy
25/01/2008, 9:04 AM
If we weren't playing Brazil would he be interested in a February Friendly?
Are people actually of the opinion that Ireland wanted to be considered for this game? That's seems to be the bit where I'm disagreeing with people about Givens comments.

Morbo
25/01/2008, 9:06 AM
Aww the poor little chav is unhappy, my heart bleeds for him.

Screw that, this attitude reminds me of the kind of guys who pussyfoot around women that have broken up with them and keep calling them begging for some pity sex, have some self respect dammit

noby
25/01/2008, 9:07 AM
I think he's asking are you a journo?

Me? But sure I can barely string a sentence together... <open goal>

NG, I was agreeing with your post, but just abbreviated it for the sake of the thread.

eirebhoy
25/01/2008, 9:09 AM
If someone wants to try and put my point across for me please do as I'm struggling. ;) I'm talking about the need for Givens to say what he did. There was no need. As I've said a few times now, it's as if Ireland made it known that he wanted to be considered.

Screw that, this attitude reminds me of the kind of guys who pussyfoot around women that have broken up with them and keep calling them begging for some pity sex, have some self respect dammit
I certainly don't think Ireland should have got a call up without making a phone call. He has asked not to be considered in the near future and so be it.

Lionel Ritchie
25/01/2008, 9:16 AM
Just thinking a little more on it. The "not suffering any fools" attitude displayed by Givens actually creates space the incumbent manager to appear more magnanimous and flexible in his dealings with SI. In that regard it is a display of tactical nous for which Don is not otherwise renowned.

:D

citizenerased
25/01/2008, 9:16 AM
I agree with what givens did,,,he is dead right, who does Ireland think he is? He should be grovelling, im suprised Dunne hasnt been chatting to him bout it at city!!

noby
25/01/2008, 9:18 AM
If someone wants to try and put my point across for me please do as I'm struggling.

I agree with Givens' sentiment, but yes, perhaps it was going too far from someone who is only keeping the seat warm.

Morbo
25/01/2008, 9:25 AM
I have never been in the "lets burn Ireland at the stake" camp
So where can I sign up for this "lets burn Ireland at the stake" camp? sounds like a laff

Noelys Guitar
25/01/2008, 9:33 AM
Me? But sure I can barely string a sentence together... <open goal>

NG, I was agreeing with your post, but just abbreviated it for the sake of the thread.

Apologies Noby. I have a Russian 40 piece percussion orchestra playing in my head sponsored by Guinness.

noby
25/01/2008, 9:37 AM
No worries; just confused me a little. I'd hate to become known as a Givens sympathiser.

Denis The Red
25/01/2008, 9:50 AM
Did everyone of the players in the squad phone Givens up to declare their intention to be included? I don't think so. So why should Ireland? This is like a schoolyard spat. " I'm not apologising, he started it" type of crap.
There has to be a middle ground. I don't want to molly-coddle Ireland but lets face it he's one of our better players at the moment.
And besides the new manager should have been in place by now and maybe none of this would be an issue.

Morbo
25/01/2008, 9:57 AM
SI was the only one who declared that he didn't want to be selected, that he wasn't ready yet so yeah I think its fair to expect him to make the first call

eirebhoy
25/01/2008, 9:59 AM
Did everyone of the players in the squad phone Givens up to declare their intention to be included? I don't think so. So why should Ireland?
Because he asked not to be included.

noby
25/01/2008, 10:04 AM
Did anyone here phone Givens up to declare their intention to be included? Worth a try, I guess.

Wangball
25/01/2008, 10:10 AM
Whilst I agree in principal with Givens I really do think he needs to reel himself in a bit....all he had to say was that Ireland wasn't called up because as far as anyone knew he hadn't made himself available again.. I think Givens has a bit of an ego problem, he seems to go running to the nearest camera & microphone as soon as he has something worthy of a soundbyte to spout, fair enough he's in charge but somethings should be conducted in private between the manager & the player not in on the 6 o'clock news or in the morning papers

Denis The Red
25/01/2008, 10:20 AM
Because he asked not to be included.
Did he specifically say he didn't want to be in the squad for the Brazil game?

Morbo
25/01/2008, 10:28 AM
So you think its up to the manager to ask SI before every match if this is the game that he feels like playing for Ireland again?

drinkfeckarse
25/01/2008, 10:58 AM
I agree with what Givens said but disagree that he had to say them publicy. The ball is in Stephen Ireland's court, everybody knows including Stephen I bet. That's all he had to say really. Givens got a little carried away with his rant IMO.

ken foree
25/01/2008, 12:40 PM
givens stepped over the line, the last word was that SI didn't want to be considered so there should be assumed no change in that situation. no need for a schoolyard rant. frankly i'd imagine that SI is hugely embarrassed over the whole grandmothersgate and might feel it insulting to irish fans if he returned too soon. maybe it's best let him get on with solidifying his club performances from now until the end of the season. his form is too erratic (brilliant goals, disappearing for long stretches, alan smith-style tackles), his relative youth the likely factor. i wish him well, he's an interesting player and character, of that there is no doubt.

Denis The Red
25/01/2008, 12:52 PM
So you think its up to the manager to ask SI before every match if this is the game that he feels like playing for Ireland again?

Did he wait by the phone for Damien Duff to tell him he's fit again, or Steven Reid?
He's the manager (temporary), he should manage.
As I see it the lad has or had problems and after "granny-gate" he felt he wouldn't be right to play for his country. It's all very tragic what happened and his decision should be respected. In the meantime Stan gets sacked, Given steps in for the Wales match and leaves him out without calling him on the basis that he said no to the previous manager.
Then he gives us this crap about giving up your right arm for the jersey (it wouldn't fit properly if you did) and expects us all to put on our best patriotic face and call him a traitor.
As I said earlier, there should be a middle ground. Maybe Bertie could step in and mediate in between tribunal appearances.:D

Wolfie
25/01/2008, 12:53 PM
I heard the press conference on Newstalk this morning and Givens fell for the gathered Journalists leading line of questioning in relation to Stephen Ireland.

Why is Ireland not included? Did you contact him before the game? He's one of our best players why did you leave him out? etc etc etc.

elroy
25/01/2008, 1:26 PM
Stan included him in the squad for the games against Germany and Cyprus and look how badly that back fired on him. I think its right that he wasnt selected. Realistically this is not givens problem and isnt an issue he should be dealing with. Its something for the new manager to sort out, which I for one hope he will, we need players like SI.

Jicked
25/01/2008, 1:51 PM
While Ireland sholdn't have been included for the game and rather be left for the new manager to sort out, Givens hanling of the situation shows just how small-time, and generally awful a manager he is. The entire thing could have been easily diffused with a simple "Obviously Stephen is playing brilliantly at the moment for City, I hope that continues and that the new manager sits down and discusses his future with him." Givens doesn't seem to have a clue about the modern game or how to deal with modern players. Still, at least it's not like he's not being put in charge of the biggest decision in Irish football...