PDA

View Full Version : 'fynnie' s glory stolen!.

@ndy
15/06/2003, 9:47 PM
UEFA, from their base in Nyon, Switzerland, have confirmed that Ireland's 2-1 win last Friday against Albania has been reversed into a 3-0 defeat.

The UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body ruled that Ireland, which won the game in Dublin on June 6, shouldn't have fielded team captain and Celtic youngster Liam Miller, who was suspended because of repeated cautions.

The Football Association of Ireland can lodge an appeal by midnight on Monday. If the amended result stands, Albania moves into third place in the group with seven points in six games while Ireland drops to the bottom of the table, tied with Georgia at two points.

Colm
15/06/2003, 11:23 PM
It is absolutly farcical that this situation was ever allowed to arise.
John O'Flynn was not allowed to play for us against Pats and in the end the match he played in was a meaningless excercise and his goal against Albania no longer stands because nobody within the FAI bothered to check if any of the players were suspended.
It is shambolic and is so indicitive of the FAI.

@ndy
16/06/2003, 12:01 AM
and does it surprise you...

A face
16/06/2003, 12:16 AM
Is it their fault though, is it confirmed that it is their slip up ??

tiktok
16/06/2003, 4:30 AM
yes, they've admitted now that the mistake was theirs and they've apologised to uefa in writing. because of this they felt it would be inapproprite to table an appeal. i suppose it's much better to accept a 3-0 defeat and a bottom of the table place. i think it could well spell an end to givens stay at the reins.

Muppet
16/06/2003, 8:15 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
yes, they've admitted now that the mistake was theirs and they've apologised to uefa in writing. because of this they felt it would be inapproprite to table an appeal. i suppose it's much better to accept a 3-0 defeat and a bottom of the table place. i think it could well spell an end to givens stay at the reins.

I should ****ing hope so. Pathetic, as usual, from one of the most shambolic sporting bodies in the world.

fonzi
16/06/2003, 8:16 AM
The fai have, once again, shown to the world ,what a great organisation they trully are.
I hope they are a proud bunch

patsh
16/06/2003, 8:27 AM
I know the FAI are useless, but whats the deal with giving Albania a 3 - 0 win?
Give them the 3 points, but how do Albania deserve 3 points AND 3 goals for ?
Thats a joke.

Muppet
16/06/2003, 9:29 AM
Originally posted by patsh
Thats a joke.

Those are the rules though. And it's not like we have any right to complain, this was a shocking mistake.

liamon
16/06/2003, 9:42 AM
Calm down Patsh

The 3-0 default win seems to be a standard UEFA procedure for fielding an ineligible player.

For instance, I copied this from uefa.com

"Villarreal given default win
Thursday, 08 August 2002
Spanish outfit Villarreal CF have been awarded a 3-0 default win over ES Troyes Aube Champagne which puts them through to the UEFA Intertoto Cup finals, after the French club was found to have fielded an ineligible player in Wednesday’s semi-final second leg in Troyes. "

No point in complaining about the governing body. It's the FAI who are at fault, not UEFA.

Colm
16/06/2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by @ndy
and does it surprise you...

Not in the slightest.

@ndy
16/06/2003, 1:11 PM
Originally posted by patsh
Thats a joke.

It's standard, a kick in the b@lls and why not.

Givens really was a shambles wasn't he. I mean, you can't use the excuse, hard act to follow. I mean, you are given the tidiest shop in the fai and you make it look like the eircom league in recent years.

Doesn't it make you want to freak...i mean, it's something we all put so much time and money into...and they treat it like a mcdonalds branch in athlone.

@ndy
16/06/2003, 1:29 PM
It's standard, a kick in the b@lls and why not.

Givens really was a shambles wasn't he. I mean, you can't use the excuse, hard act to follow. I mean, you are given the tidiest shop in the fai and you make it look like the eircom league in recent years.

Doesn't it make you want to freak...i mean, it's something we all put so much time and money into...and they treat it like a mcdonalds branch in athlone.

Yep...i mean, i'm so annoyed, i'm writing a letter to the fai...and to brendan dillion in the el, and i'm copying in every national paper in the country.

tiktok
16/06/2003, 3:31 PM
remeber not so long ago when the irish underage teams werer doing so well under Kerr, we had a third place playoff at u20 and were euro champs at u16 (u18?). why is it that we never seem to be able to bring that through to u21 level, is it just that the cream of those players, duff and keane go straight to the seniors or that others eg thomas morgan don't make the grade.

it seems to me that don givens has had the raw materials for a number of years now and produced very little, we see players here and there coming through to the seniors, O'shea, Barrett, Butler but they are too few and much too far between.

how much is givens contributing or is it unfair to lay it at his door when they're only together for short periods of time? is it time for a change?

patsh
16/06/2003, 4:25 PM
Originally posted by liamon
Calm down Patsh

The 3-0 default win seems to be a standard UEFA procedure for fielding an ineligible player.

I'm quite calm and totally laid back :cool:
I just did not realise that a 3 - 0 victory is standard.

As for Givens, I have said in other threads that this guy must go. He has done NOTHING for the players at this level, his results are very poor, he ha not brought on or improved players and has only looked at the el now because there is pressure to do so.
Get rid of him.

liamon
16/06/2003, 4:55 PM
Yeah,
I think he's had a shot at it and blown it.
He's got to go.
We're bottom of the group.
And the Miller situation must look hysterical to any country with a serious U-21 set up.
I couldn't imagine France ending up like this.

Someone has to take responsibility for this situation and he's the manager.

Counting Crow
16/06/2003, 10:01 PM
While I agree with everything said here already, there is one person that everyone has overlooked and that is................. Miller himself.

Surely, for God's sake, he new he had 2 yellow cards - they had only played 6 games.

Why didn't he speak up? Is he a complete plank?

If he did and Givens decided to take a chance then he should be tarred and feathered ......... by Flynny for loosing the credit for his goal.

@ndy
16/06/2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
why is it that we never seem to be able to bring that through to u21 level, is it just that the cream of those players, duff and keane go straight to the seniors or that others eg thomas morgan don't make the grade.

It is a good point that the u21s lose their better players as it is the most likely age for a young star to break thru. This has been demonstrated, but it's the same for every country and that is the underage teams purpose, is it not? It is up to the underage and senior managers to work together in nurturing their young talent.

Morgan is a funny one. Not so long ago he was sitting beside who... Duff/Liam George/Keane? at the burlington, nominated for young player of the year...glad he has found his feet this season as he must have been getting quite disillusioned with the game.

Originally posted by Counting Crow
there is one person that everyone has overlooked and that is................. Miller himself.

Surely, for God's sake, he new he had 2 yellow cards - they had only played 6 games.

Why didn't he speak up? Is he a complete plank?

Good point. I don't know. I think there needs to be an apology. Just a simple statement from the FAI. The person/persons at fault are employed by them. If it's Givens/Miller/someone else, they should issue an apology and we should all shake our fists and hope it never happens again.

I think the FAI should be forced by the state to adhere to a certain standard as they are making mistakes on a national and international scale that damages our national image and embarrasses us. Marney/Charlie livingstone, Roy Keane affair (the handling and fact that they were the reason) and now this. It's not really the way we should be advertising ourselves. Is JIm McDaid still minister for Donegal Gaa er i mean sport, if so...i think he should pull the finger out on this one. What did/are the fai doing about their Moriarty tribunal report :p

tiktok
16/06/2003, 11:16 PM
I think the FAI should be forced by the state to adhere to a certain standard as they are making mistakes on a national and international scale that damages our national image and embarrasses us.

good point, they should have to answer to someone other than their mates on the board, but wasn't that one of the things that the Genesis report was meant to address, standards within the organisation.

or was the genesis report an album of phil collins covers?

patsh
16/06/2003, 11:28 PM
Is JIm McDaid still minister for Donegal Gaa er i mean sport, if so...i think he should pull the finger out on this one.
It's even worse than oul Starchy McDaid.....it's none other than the bullsh*t champion of the world, the gormless waffler John "Zinedine Zidane.....Is that some new kind of sheep dip" O'Donoghue!
Theres a man who is in touch with the world of soccer...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

niamh
17/06/2003, 8:20 AM
Agree with Counting Crow on that one. Miller should have been one of the people to realise he was booked twice.
And considering how rarely players are called up from the U-21s to play for the senior team, I think the team should have done a better job of qualifying.

Trax
17/06/2003, 11:03 AM
Miller and Givens both said they had forgotten about the 1st yellow cos it was nearly a yr ago,thats no excuse I know,surely it's easy to have some sort of record of what plyrs have been booked.BTW Givens excuse for poor performances is that most of his plyrs are only 18/19, and we all know what sort of managers use excuses like that...........

liamon
17/06/2003, 11:27 AM
I think the quote from Alan Hansen is:

"You'll win nothing with kids"

@ndy
17/06/2003, 1:17 PM
Originally posted by Trax
Miller and Givens both said they had forgotten about the 1st yellow cos it was nearly a yr ago,

That just proves disorganisation and bad management. he should be embarrassed and apologise, and promise not to make them again. Would you give a manager who said that a job? I wouldn't give him the cobh ramblers job after that.

tiktok
17/06/2003, 5:47 PM
Originally posted by Trax
BTW Givens excuse for poor performances is that most of his plyrs are only 18/19

:rolleyes: pathetic
we'll be expecting an u21 world cup win in two years so;)