Stephen Hunt (Reading)
Liam Miller (Sunderland)
Damien Duff (Newcastle United)

Attackers
Robbie Keane (Tottenham Hotstpur)
Kevin Doyle (Reading)
Shane Long (Reading)
Daryl Murphy (Sunderland)Fully expect Andy Reid to pull out of the squad
Didn't Givens learn anything from calling Steven Reid into the squad VS Wales?

jmurphyc
24/01/2008, 3:50 PM
WTF is the point in that? Isn't it another 2 months until he's back fit again? Givens probably didn't even talk to him about it. Other than that though there's no real surprises. I'm a bit disappointed Givens didn't bring someone new (or someone who's been out of the squad for a while) in - Garvan or Morrison maybe.

passinginterest
24/01/2008, 3:51 PM
Only real surprise there is Shane Long ahead of Clinton Morrison. At least that's the only one jumping out at me.

bwagner
24/01/2008, 3:51 PM
What the feck is the buzz with that retard Givens Andy is in no way fit.. we again are a joke..were are the liks of Foley or Morrison and other form players .Givens is a reserved **** bag

Stuttgart88
24/01/2008, 3:52 PM
Nothing too controversial there but not overly imaginative..

Ireland wasn't expected to be in it.

Only 4 forwards?

Miller is running out of chances.

Obviously they're looking to field a strong U21 team.

Stuttgart88
24/01/2008, 3:55 PM
Only real surprise there is Shane Long ahead of Clinton Morrison. At least that's the only one jumping out at me.Yep, agree with that. Didn't notice.

Ireland4ever
24/01/2008, 4:02 PM
In fairness to clint im not his biggest Fan, but he deserves to be there ahead of Shane Long.

geysir
24/01/2008, 4:03 PM
The other surprise was that he didn't include Finnan, 'well he didn't inform me that he had retired'.

theworm2345
24/01/2008, 4:04 PM
Agreed, no real surprises besides that. Long hasn't scored in the EPL for months and Noel Hunt and Clinton Morrison have been tearing it up in their respective leagues. I don't think Daryl Murphy has scored at all this year either (though by some acounts he has played well) (sorry, 1 goal). I think Stephen Kelly is absolute muck but I don't see many other options.

geysir
24/01/2008, 4:05 PM
Is that Andy O'Brien's first call up since the Cyprus away game?

gufct
24/01/2008, 4:05 PM
Morrisson should have been in and why not Jonathan Walters and Martin Rowlands who are both playing out of their skins at the moment.

jmurphyc
24/01/2008, 4:09 PM
Is that Andy O'Brien's first call up since the Cyprus away game?

No, he was called up to Staunton's last squad and to the Wales squad but pulled out due to injury.

Stuttgart88
Is that Andy O'Brien's first call up since the Cyprus away game?Called up late last year but withdrew I think.

jmurphyc
Is Yeates still playing well at Colchester?

TheBoss
24/01/2008, 4:14 PM
Morrison had to be called into the squad at least to show him that his form is not gone un-noticed, it appears it has.

deecay
24/01/2008, 4:16 PM
Great to see Kilbane down as a defender,best left back we have

Stuttgart88
24/01/2008, 4:19 PM
Morrisson & Walters are the most unlucky not to be there.

Andy Reid is a strange one given his injury, Miller is lucky, probably also Long.

I reckon Murphy brings what Walters can – aerial threat and decent wide play, albeit on the other side.

I think Delap and Lawrence could have something to offer the squad.

I guess J. O’Brien can play 3 positions.

It’s only a 21 man squad – room for one or two more. Garvan, Rowlands (not one of my favourites), Yeates, Tabb and maybe Michael Doyle might have been options but their omission isn’t controversial.

GavinZac
24/01/2008, 4:20 PM
We're still wasting time on mcgeady I see.

green army
24/01/2008, 4:20 PM
its a disgrace that morrison is not included. he is on fire at the moment.

boovidge
24/01/2008, 4:21 PM
suprised to see Morrison not included ahead of Murphy.

jmurphyc
24/01/2008, 4:22 PM

He was in excellent form a while ago and still young. Do you never want him in the squad again? Duff hardly had a great start to his Ireland career but look at what he did at the World Cup.

boovidge
24/01/2008, 4:23 PM

Yeah why would we want a player playing well regularly at a big club and playing in the Champions League? :rolleyes:

bellavistaman
24/01/2008, 4:54 PM
i didnt like givens comments on news that stephen ireland hasnt doesnt enough to earn recall, irelans best midfielder at the moment, says alot about the committee picking our new manager. Wouldnt be surpised if they gave it to twink!

tetsujin1979
24/01/2008, 4:58 PM
i didnt like givens comments on news that stephen ireland hasnt doesnt enough to earn recall, irelans best midfielder at the moment, says alot about the committee picking our new manager. Wouldnt be surpised if they gave it to twink!
I think he meant he hasn't done more in terms of indicating he wants to play for his country again, rather than more in playing terms

Bondvillain
24/01/2008, 5:14 PM
The non-inclusion of Stephen Ireland is predictable but disappointing.
The non-inclusion of a frighteningly in-form Clinton Morrison is just idiotic.

Givens is unaware & incapable at this level, and this squad is just another reason why he should never have been involved in the selection committee.

kingdomkerry
24/01/2008, 5:44 PM
Given
Kelly Dunne McShane/O Brien O'Se *
Duff S Reid Carsley McGeady
Keane Doyle

Does'nt look as solid without Finnan, thanks you traitor!

olegunnar
24/01/2008, 5:45 PM
and no jamie o hara in this or u21 squad, has he been called up for england?

I'm not saying that 10 games for spurs makes him a total midfield solution, but, it could have happened. Clinton shouldnt have missed out, but the new thing is not making any changes to what Stan was doing. Only differences are no finnan and duff is back.

why we sack him at all so??

dr_peepee
24/01/2008, 5:46 PM
To say Morrisons omision is surprising is a vast understatement. Givens' decision is indicative of everything that is wrong with the set up... Demoralising one of our most inform players, the inclusion of a player who clearly won't be fit... F'kin Dopes the lot of them.

jmurphyc
24/01/2008, 5:47 PM

I'm not saying that 10 games for spurs makes him a total midfield solution, but, it could have happened. Clinton shouldnt have missed out, but the new thing is not making any changes to what Stan was doing. Only differences are no finnan and duff is back.

why we sack him at all so??

Someone said that O'Hara is ineligible. I wouldn't worry too much about the make up of this squad - once the new coach comes in his first squad should give us a better idea of things.

Stuttgart88
24/01/2008, 5:48 PM

I'm not saying that 10 games for spurs makes him a total midfield solution, but, it could have happened. O'Hara is not eligible. Discussed at lenghth over recent weeks.

geysir
24/01/2008, 5:48 PM
Great to see Kilbane down as a defender,best left back we have
His club manager said roughly 'we urgently need a LB, you don´t have to be a brain surgeon to work out that Kevin is not a natural Left Back'

Stuttgart88
24/01/2008, 5:50 PM
It's quite possible Givens isn't even aware of Morrisson's form, or that of any of the Championship players.

Bondvillain
24/01/2008, 5:51 PM

I'm not saying that 10 games for spurs makes him a total midfield solution, but, it could have happened.

O Hara is ineligible. His ineligibility was discussed in the Jamie O Hara thread, where his lack of eligibility was confirmed . Several times. You posted on said thread, I believe.

Bondvillain
24/01/2008, 5:52 PM
It's quite possible Givens isn't even aware of Morrisson's form, or that of any of the Championship players.

Too long.

It's quite possible Givens isn't even aware.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

shakermaker1982
24/01/2008, 6:06 PM
Clinton is on fire at the moment and deserved a recall. Andy Reid hasn't played since.....? Do they even know he is injured?

My team to face Brazil:

Given

Kelly Dunne O'Brien O'Shea

Hunt Carsley S Reid Duff

Keane Doyle

geysir
24/01/2008, 6:14 PM
I think Givens did reasonable with the last game and I would expect that he will have the team well prepared for this game.
He is 100% correct in leaving out Ireland, thats a matter for the next manager. Some Journalists are absolute WUM idiots for even raising the issue at the press conference.

I would be surprised if Givens isn't aware of Morrison form, after all Given's u21 squad hang out in that league. Anyway Morrison's chance will surely come again with the next manager.

bellavistaman
24/01/2008, 6:15 PM
I think he meant he hasn't done more in terms of indicating he wants to play for his country again, rather than more in playing terms

possibly.

His club manager said roughly 'we urgently need a LB, you don´t have to be a brain surgeon to work out that Kevin is not a natural Left Back'

Exactly, O'Halloran for another chance in friendly maybe? out on loan with southampton currently, which brings me to the next quote..

Exactly my friend!

Lets hope his knowledge of managers is better, this truely is a massive appointment.

eirebhoy
24/01/2008, 6:22 PM
Andy Reid hasn't played since.....?
15th December. Poor Charlton are struggling without him. He left them all set for automatic promotion in 3rd position. They've only won 1 of the 8 games since he's been injured.

shakermaker1982
24/01/2008, 6:29 PM
15th December. Poor Charlton are struggling without him. He left them all set for automatic promotion in 3rd position. They've only won 1 of the 8 games since he's been injured.

Aye I've noticed the slump (I look out for Charlton's results because I want Reidy in the PL :D) eirebhoy but didn't realise it was that bad. He does run the show for em though I suppose but 1 win in 8 is awful...... he better get fit soon for Charlton's sake.

Wangball
24/01/2008, 6:31 PM
More proof...if proof were needed....that Don Givens is a pleb....Have to admit I'm not Clint's biggest fan either but, on current form, he surely merits a place ahead of Long or Murphy...also think that given the SFA have apparently upped their efforts to recruit James McCarthy that this would of been a good chance to get him called up & capped...I think that sometimes we have a tendency to hold players back a little too long, I'm not saying fling McCarthy into the 1st team now but he should at least be considered for the U21's, same as Scannell at Palace.....also correct me if I'm wrong but there doesn't appear to be a single player promoted from the recent B Squad in there either....Noel Hunt could/should feel slightly aggrieved...he could easily be in there ahead of Murphy, same goes for Whelan at Sheffield Wednesday or Michael Doyle at Coventry....how/why is Liam Miller getting picked ahead of them??

jmurphyc
24/01/2008, 6:34 PM
More proof...if proof were needed....that Don Givens is a pleb....Have to admit I'm not Clint's biggest fan either but, on current form, he surely merits a place ahead of Long or Murphy...also think that given the SFA have apparently upped their efforts to recruit James McCarthy that this would of been a good chance to get him called up & capped...I think we hold players back too long sometimes, I'm not saying fling McCarthy into the 1st team now but he should at least be considered for the U21's, same as Scannell at Palace

Scannell is in the U19 squad and McCarthy has been getting games for us at under age level. We do hold some players back too long (Garvan, McCann, etc) but during Staunton's reign far too many people were getting caps. I'm hoping for some continuity in future squads.

tetsujin1979
24/01/2008, 6:35 PM
also think that given the SFA have apparently upped their efforts to recruit James McCarthy that this would of been a good chance to get him called up & capped...I think we hold players back too long sometimes, I'm not saying fling McCarthy into the 1st team now but he should at least be considered for the U21's, same as Scannell at Palace
McCarthy told the SFA he wasn't going to change his mind, and is going to stick with playing for Ireland
Scannell and McCarthy are in the U-19 squad VS Czech Republic: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2788

Wangball
24/01/2008, 6:52 PM
I seen that both were in the U19's but if you look across to England Walcott is still U19 elligible but has featured at U21's & senior level....presumably because its exposure to a better level of football and better preperation for international football...maybe we should adopt a similar approach...don't Brazilian Squads always feature 1 younger promising player who doesn't actually expect to play but is taken along for the experience of travelling & training with the National Squad?

zenokelly
24/01/2008, 7:20 PM
In fairness it's not Givens job to do this, it is just temporary, it was only probably in the last week confirmed to him that he was picking this squad. He was hardly going to go around scouting or anything. And it's not as if he left out someone who would be starting (YES all you Morrison fans)

And anyway poor Givens is so busy with his other job of appointing our manager!;)

Paddy Garcia
24/01/2008, 7:48 PM
In fairness he may not know that Morrison is Irish.

Bondvillain
24/01/2008, 8:13 PM
And it's not as if he left out someone who would be starting (YES all you Morrison fans)

Dont see why Morrison, if included, wouldn't be in contention to start, after all, one of these three seemingly will :

Kevin Doyle (Reading)
Shane Long (Reading)
Daryl Murphy (Sunderland)

All strikers with decent qualities, but none of them setting the world on fire by burning up any leading scorers charts at the mo.

Stuttgart88
24/01/2008, 8:26 PM
In fairness it's not Givens job to do this, it is just temporary. And it's not as if he left out someone who would be starting (YES all you Morrison fans)
I was actually thinking the same. The likely first XI and any subs are all there, though I do think Morrisson could expect a second half sub appearance. Any of the more imaginative options are for squad places.

For once we'll have a strong U21 team available.

DeNiro
24/01/2008, 8:43 PM
It's a safe squad. Givens wasn't going to rock the boat. The U21's look ok, but not mind blowing. In relation to the senior squad and game itself I think we have to start blooding another keeper properly and no better game than Brazil. Given doesn't really need to come over, but he seems ill at ease whenever he's not in the picture.

The inclusion of Miller is madness. He's now featuring but he wasn't considered good enough to play in San Marino, etc. I think his day has come and gone. This, for me, would have been an ideal game for Stokes, but alas Givens is messing around with him in the U21s. What's to be gained there? We're out of the group. Another thrashing could delude those players further. Equally Darron Gibson. What's he doing back there. It's only when we look back we see how truly farcical Stan was. Gibson has a competitive cap for us, got in a crucial game, but now can't make friendly squads. I'm coming to the conclusion Givens may be as guilty as Staunton in some of this stuff. If this guy wasn't / isn't ready, why didn't Givens say so. Ditto Stokes, Andy Keogh. It's playing a dangerous game to do this to young players.
This game was taylor made for Gibson in having a chance to mark Kaka, he won't meet much tougher than that, but he'll be tired from dealing with Tom Huddlestone :rolleyes: 24 hours earlier.

Wangball
24/01/2008, 8:53 PM
I was actually thinking the same. The likely first XI and any subs are all there, though I do think Morrisson could expect a second half sub appearance. Any of the more imaginative options are for squad places.

For once we'll have a strong U21 team available.

The fact remains that the likely first XI & subs really haven't delivered very much at all recently and now is the time for changes...maybe not the slashing wholesale changes some people might demand but gradual positive changes, if that means re-visiting players previously cast aside (Clinton Morrison, Alan Lee, Alan Quinn) or the gradual introduction of fresh faces (David Norris, Owen Garvan, Stephen O'Halloran, Kevin Foley) then now has never been a better time for it.

Peter Taylor was caretaker manager of England and he made some of the most significant changes of any England Manager in recent years...he made David Beckham captain & he called up a half dozen or so players for their 1st crack at the senior squad (including Gareth Barry, Rio Ferdinand, Jamie Carragher & Emile Heskey)...For the second time Don Givens was given the chance to play a positive role in the future of our national team (apart from the 3 wise men fiasco) and he bottled it and picked what is essentially the very same faltering squad that stuttered its way through the last sequence of qualifiers....he's a clown

tetsujin1979
24/01/2008, 9:44 PM
The inclusion of Miller is madness. He's now featuring but he wasn't considered good enough to play in San Marino, etc. I think his day has come and gone.He's playing regularly in the Premiership. not setting the world on fire, but not playing badly either. We're not in a position to refuse someone like that. On the other hand it could be to placate Roy Keane in case of another rant against Cork players in the squad.

This, for me, would have been an ideal game for Stokes, but alas Givens is messing around with him in the U21s. What's to be gained there? We're out of the group. Another thrashing could delude those players further. Equally Darron Gibson. What's he doing back there.
If Stokes was in place of Long, we'd be making the same complaints that he's keeping Morrison out of the squad. The U-19's are preparing for their qualifiers with a double header against the Czechs, so we can't promote any of that side for one of Don Givens' never-ending rebuilding phases at U-21 level. Stokes, Gibson, etc will get more game time and experience in a competitive game against England than in a friendly against Brazil.