PDA

View Full Version : Niall Quinn Has Failed - Oirish Not as Thick as He Expected

Boh_So_Good
24/01/2008, 12:47 PM
There is no doubt now that Niall Quinn's 'greening of Sunderland' has been a complete failure on every level - especially in terms of his tacky and cynical tactics (some would say almost racist) to get as many gullible Irish as possible to support his UK business interest.

The whole Keano element flopped. The endless and very embarassing bombarding the Irish media with "Sunderland are Irish" was mainly laughed at, and completely ignored.

I was in Easons in Galway the other day and they had a mountain of unsold Sunderland 2008 annuals in the sales bin for a Euro each and still no one was buying them, not even little kids.

I think this could well prove to be the last act of supreme madness by the Irish business community to invest so much money and bull**** into a British club with no hope of anything other than an eternal relegation/promotion battle season after season.

The recent comments from Razor that Irish business should invest in Irish clubs was almost like an insight into what people in the industry are now thinking. I suspect a lot of Irish business people are about to get badly burnt by Quinn's false Irish experiment on Tyneside. Surely one or two of them are smart enough to realise that the same money in an LOI club gets them into the group stages of the Champions League.

More than anything else, it really speaks volumns about what Niall Quinn thinks of the Irish people. He really does look upon us all as morons who'll run salivating to anything in the Premiership with an "oirish" connection. Maybe in the past that was true, but even the retards in this country are wising up to the fact that the Premiership is not such a big deal afterall.

galwayhoop
24/01/2008, 1:29 PM
There is no doubt now that Niall Quinn's 'greening of Sunderland' has been a complete failure on every level - especially in terms of his tacky and cynical tactics (some would say almost racist) to get as many gullible Irish as possible to support his UK business interest.

The whole Keano element flopped. The endless and very embarassing bombarding the Irish media with "Sunderland are Irish" was mainly laughed at, and completely ignored.

I was in Easons in Galway the other day and they had a mountain of unsold Sunderland 2008 annuals in the sales bin for a Euro each and still no one was buying them, not even little kids.

I think this could well prove to be the last act of supreme madness by the Irish business community to invest so much money and bull**** into a British club with no hope of anything other than an eternal relegation/promotion battle season after season.

The recent comments from Razor that Irish business should invest in Irish clubs was almost like an insight into what people in the industry are now thinking. I suspect a lot of Irish business people are about to get badly burnt by Quinn's false Irish experiment on Tyneside. Surely one or two of them are smart enough to realise that the same money in an LOI club gets them into the group stages of the Champions League.

More than anything else, it really speaks volumns about what Niall Quinn thinks of the Irish people. He really does look upon us all as morons who'll run salivating to anything in the Premiership with an "oirish" connection. Maybe in the past that was true, but even the retards in this country are wising up to the fact that the Premiership is not such a big deal afterall.

morons, retards... you do everything but call Mr. Quinn a Dumbass!!! ;):D:D

passerrby
24/01/2008, 1:37 PM
he is neither dumb or an ass however he's a Bo**ox

Philly
24/01/2008, 1:43 PM
That's why hundreds of people make their way across the sea to see them from here every weekend, if not thousands.

I wish it was a failure. Things are quiet on the SunIreland front at the moment because they are struggling. Our barstoolers are also band-wagon jumpers and the shirts will be selling well again once they go on a good run.

osarusan
24/01/2008, 1:47 PM
especially in terms of his tacky and cynical tactics (some would say almost racist)

Where have you heard somebody say it is "almost racist"?
Or does the word "some" actually mean you?

drummerboy
24/01/2008, 1:49 PM
I don't support Sunderland. I don't attend Premiership matches but I think calling people who do retards and morons is way out of order. People like you, give EL supporters a bad name. Its a free country, people can do what they like with their money.

Redie
24/01/2008, 3:11 PM
Originally Posted by Philly
I wish it was a failure. Things are quiet on the SunIreland front at the moment because they are struggling. Our barstoolers are also band-wagon jumpers and the shirts will be selling well again once they go on a good run.

Sadly Philly you are 100% correct

Mr_T
24/01/2008, 3:30 PM
I don't support Sunderland. I don't attend Premiership matches but I think calling people who do retards and morons is way out of order. People like you, give EL supporters a bad name. Its a free country, people can do what they like with their money.

Exactly. I always question whether people who take this view actually want to increase the popularity of the league of ireland, or do they just like to act superior to the "morons" who choose to support UK teams, revelling in the "cult" or "unpopular" status of the EL.

Its certainly a "moronic" way to try and get those people, essentially the EL's target market for increasing attendance, to take a closer look at the product on their doorstep.

I can see Noel Mooney's new marketing campaign now - "Oi Morons, You are a D*ck if you don't Support your local LOI Team, W*nker!", will have them queueing at the 'styles!!

Ireland4ever
24/01/2008, 3:54 PM
....Surely one or two of them are smart enough to realise that the same money in an LOI club gets them into the group stages of the Champions League.

Comicalk statement, Sunderland are the perfect example that even an abundance of money cant attract players of decent calibre to compete at the top.

finnpark
24/01/2008, 4:02 PM
Comicalk statement, Sunderland are the perfect example that even an abundance of money cant attract players of decent calibre to compete at the top.

If Sunderland were palying in the Eircom League they would qualify for the Cl most seasons but the English Premier is worth far more than the Cl.

placid casual
24/01/2008, 4:06 PM
i'll assume your naive as opposed to stupid.
to qualify for the champions league you must :
in england: be top 4 places(where sunderland will NEVER EVER EVER be.)
in ireland :win the league(which about 6 clubs from LOI could theoretically do)

ergo his point about there being a better chance to get into the champs league qualifiers,then 1st round proper and MAYBE ,maybe one day qualify for the group stages if the team is from the glorious Leaue of Ireland..
your welcome.:)

bohsRap
24/01/2008, 4:06 PM
People like you, give EL supporters a bad name.

Oh ye, because all supporters of premiership clubs are model citizens and that is what people base their support on premiership teams, their supporters! :rolleyes:

bohsRap
24/01/2008, 4:10 PM

You've never heard of Rosenborg? Perfect example of how decent investment can attract good players and also produce them.

WoodquayBoy
24/01/2008, 4:19 PM
Some of what he said might be a little strong, but I share the sentiments of Boh So Good, well said sir

ashbournebohs
24/01/2008, 5:05 PM
A lot of people have season tickets for sunderland as they see it as a cheaper way to watch the premiership live .Its far cheaper to go to sunderland to watch chelsea or arsenal than it is to go to london to watch them

EalingGreen
24/01/2008, 5:21 PM
As i see it, there are two elements to this whole "Sundireland" thing, which should not be confused.

First is the marketing of the "Irishness" of the club. Having been to the Stadium of Light last season, it actually wasn't quite so bad as I'd feared. Nonetheless, for all that it's plastic and tacky (imo), I doubt whether it's really seducing that many fans from domestic Irish football. Rather, I suspect that once the novelty wears off (esp if relegated), the bulk of their newfound Irish support will be seen to have come either from those who formerly followed other English clubs, or expatriate Irish already in England, or "events junkies" from Ireland for whom it was e.g. Munster last year, Sunderland this year and God Knows Who next year - American Football or some bloody thing.

Consequently, it may be less harmful in itself than it appears at first sight, irritating though it may be.

However, in my opinion, this whole Blarney Business is actually serving as a very good smokescreen for the wealthy investors behind it to disguise what is in reality a purely commercial venture. That is, not only are they not interested in Irish football and the effect they may be having on the Irish game, but they may not necessarily be interested very much in football itself.

Frankly, what they and other canny investors have cottoned onto long before the rest of us is that English Premiership clubs are an absolute licence to print money, such as has not ever been seen in football, or even any other comparable sport, anywhere in the world. For instance, if Derby County never score another goal or gain another point for the rest of this season (not impossible!), they will still pocket a minimum £29 million from Sky for domestic UK TV rights alone.

This does not include bonuses should they make more than their normal share of TV appearances. It doesn't cover overseas rights from Sky. Nor payments from BBC, Setanta, ITV etc. Nor Cup matches. Nor European games (for those clubs which qualify). Nor prize money related to final League position. Nor commercial, sponsorship, merchandising etc. Nor gate revenue. Nor all the other things which football clubs are getting involved in these days.

All of which explains why so many English clubs are now foreign-owned - the former British owners, whose wealth is only measured in tens or hundreds of millions, are receiving offers they can't refuse from Billionaires from Asia, Middle East, America etc, none of whom could tell you what shape a football was, but who can read a balance sheet in any language.

And even if you're a wealthy investor who missed the boat with the really big clubs (who actually win everything), there's still good money to be made even with mediocre clubs, so long as they can just avoid relegation.

And if you still can't afford one of those, the prospect of even an occasional season in the Prem, plus the parachute payments upon relegation, mean that it's still worth a punt on the next level down i.e. the "yo-yo" clubs.

Which is exactly where Sunderland come in. People think Keane has spent a lot of money on players (which he has), but it's peanuts to what the owners will rake in for this season, never mind what they'll get if they can just hold on for a season or two.

In which case, the new owners are conning everybody in Ireland that they are really doing this with the best interests of Irish football at heart, whilst the appointment of Quinn and Keane serves to ingratiate them with the locals on Wearside, since one is a local hero and the other is a big name superstar of world football.

There's a saying "When Money talks, Bulls hit Walks". Only in this case, these guys are taking football's money and selling us the bulls hit in return. :(

finnpark
24/01/2008, 7:29 PM
You've never heard of Rosenborg? Perfect example of how decent investment can attract good players and also produce them.

But Sunderland are turning over a lot more than Rosenborg and probably have a much better team. Its a business decision.

Some fools from Ireland travel over to British matches on a regular basis and some companies have corporate boxes over there. Hard to beleive but its fact. These are the real fools funding the foreign system. But this may be down to the lack of education that Irish people got compared to English people during the penal times!

Réiteoir
24/01/2008, 7:31 PM
But Sunderland are turning over a lot more than Rosenborg and probably have a much better team.

Tend to disagree there fella on the second point

finnpark
24/01/2008, 7:37 PM
Tend to disagree there fella on the second point

Would Iverson make the Sunderland team and he is one of Rosenborg's best players? Perhaps he would :D

What Rosenborg have that Irish teams don't is not a huge investor but a top class youth academy. Look at their squad and see how many have come through their youth academy. Their youth academy has probbaly made them 50M€+ in transfer fees + qualification to the CL. This opportunity is in Ireland and it would probably take less than 1M€ per annum to make it happen but as nobody has yet proved Rosenborg's theory here no investor can touch an Irish club.

Comic Book Guy
24/01/2008, 7:38 PM
I don't know if Sunderland are a much better team, after all, outside of the top 6 in the premiership the standard is pretty mediocre, rosenborg are well versed in European competition and if they were to play Sunderland I would expect them to beat Sunderland.

SunderlandBohs
25/01/2008, 10:09 AM

Eh, Sunderland is on Wearside. So be careful who you call 'morons' & 'retards' Boh So Good! I'm glad 'The Greening of Sunderland' has failed. I can finally go to the lads play with having idiot Irish making a show of themselves. These people are a joke & why do we want them involed in the LOI? Secondly, do all the 'real football people' on here not realise how big a club Sunderland is?

John83
25/01/2008, 10:53 AM
Would Iverson make the Sunderland team and he is one of Rosenborg's best players? Perhaps he would :D
He's still only 31, and he was in a Spurs side far better than Sunderland.

SunderlandBohs
25/01/2008, 11:33 AM
He's still only 31, and he was in a Spurs side far better than Sunderland.
Bo Derek would get into our side nevermind Iversen! I'd say she's a better centre half than Paul McShane anyway!

bohsRap
25/01/2008, 11:51 AM
But Sunderland are turning over a lot more than Rosenborg

I never said otherwise. I was simply suggesting that with a bit of investment some LOI teams could go a long way. Obviously, that may be at a loss but they could progress into group stages of Uefa cup or Champions League.

oriel
25/01/2008, 9:03 PM
The entire project in my book has been a shambles. Keane has simply bought shocking players, the majority of whom are vastly underperforming and over priced too may I add, the lad up front Jones and maybe the keeper from Hearts will be possible exceptions.

As for the embarrassing stories of irish people many who haven`t been to an irish game ,domestic or international in years (I personally know 5 people who fall into this category) all of sudden off to a sunderland game on a junket or incredibly on their own expense makes me want to vomit.

l can only imagine the laughter of the locals over there at the pathetic sight of the paddys landing every second saturday and waving a tricolour like its something got to do with a proper irish event abroad. A total and utter embarrassement.

Eamonn Sweeney had a good article in the sun indo a few mths ago called 'paddy come lately'

He was spot on

oldyouth
25/01/2008, 9:31 PM
I won't pretend I've been a constant EL fan, but in all my 45 years, I can honestly say that I have taken in at least 1 live game a week. As a chap I saw approx some top level games (and all the Landsdowne internationals in the EARLY '80s) but lately it has been mostly schoolboy when my sons are playing. I have been known to pull in to the side of the road on a Sunday if I see 22 overweight lads chasing a pigskin around a field just because they are playing a sport I love.
Having said that, I don't like the idea of this SunderIreland business that is going on at present. It is a sound BUSINESS module going on at the club to tap in to the interest we have here for the game but it is a short term plan. The Youths are starting from the ground up and I am totally imersed in seeing how it pans out. I am not supporting an established club but am setting out on a journey that may bring glory or failure. Because of that, I feel as if I'm 21 again. How does that compare to a Ryanair flight to Sunderland, a prawn sandwich and no recolection of the game 'cos of free booze

bennocelt
26/01/2008, 6:31 AM
There's a saying "When Money talks, Bulls hit Walks". Only in this case, these guys are taking football's money and selling us the bulls hit in return. :(

Brilliant post Ealing boy, agree 100% but thats life eh:)

Boh_So_Good
03/02/2008, 12:58 AM
The entire project in my book has been a shambles.

Looks like Quinn's mot will have to start the Persil gig again...

The Wearside club, which is controlled by Niall Quinn’s Drumaville consortium, made a pre-tax loss of stg£15.4 million (€20.5 million) for the 2006-2007 season, according to accounts filed with the Companies Office in Britain in recent days.

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=news-qqqid=30167-qqqx=1.asp

A face
03/02/2008, 2:09 AM
How many more points/games until its mathematically impossible for them to stay up?

Soko
03/02/2008, 3:46 AM
How has it failed? If things finished tomorrow they would stay up. That's their only goal for the year

I hate Sunderland as much as anyone but saying it has been a disaster is well ott. I'd love to see them crash and burn but unfortunetly they are where they need to be

Poor Student
03/02/2008, 7:44 AM
How many more points/games until its mathematically impossible for them to stay up?

Does that question make any sense?:confused:

Sunderland are two points and two places above the relegation zone. Derby and Fulham are as good as done for, leaving one relegation place to get sucked into,that place being currently being occupied by Birmingham. Reading, Wigan, Middlesborough, Bolton, Newcastle and Spurs are all within 8 points of Birmingham. You could probably rule Spurs out on quality and distance but any of the other teams could conceivably get relegated. Sunderland are far from certain to go down.

A face
03/02/2008, 9:32 PM
Does that question make any sense?:confused:

Did you know what i meant?

Sunderland are two points and two places above the relegation zone.

I didn't know, i dont take notice of it to be honest.

Derby and Fulham are as good as done for, leaving one relegation place to get sucked into,that place being currently being occupied by Birmingham. Reading, Wigan, Middlesborough, Bolton, Newcastle and Spurs are all within 8 points of Birmingham. You could probably rule Spurs out on quality and distance but any of the other teams could conceivably get relegated. Sunderland are far from certain to go down.

Gutted, i can still hope though can't i

Sheridan
03/02/2008, 9:38 PM
I wonder if anyone would be interested in organising a Sunderland relegation party if the time comes?

Block G Raptor
04/02/2008, 10:55 AM
I wonder if anyone would be interested in organising a Sunderland relegation party if the time comes?

Count me in

Royal rover
05/02/2008, 11:50 AM
i agree with this whole sunderland arguement, as a season ticket holder for man u and someone who lives in the uk, and has done for a number of years, i would love to see them relegated - i genuinly can't understand why anyone would want to fly to north east every week to watch mcshane and co, i have been to many grounds this season and i do believe there is less of a following by real supporters, bolton , and villa spring to mind, keane has spent a huge amount of money and they are already minus 20 million this season, stokes , richardson, were a complete waste of money

SunderlandBohs
06/02/2008, 10:29 AM
Why all the anti-Sunderland talk? So every Sunderland fan in the world is a band wagon jumper? I tell you why Royal Rover why I fly to the North East to see McShane & co. Because I'm a loyal supporter. I was there when Gabbadini, Bennett & co were there & if we're relagated to the Blue Square North I'd still be there. So get over yourselves lads. We've been around since 1879 & we'll be around for other 129 years. SAFC isn't just about Roy Keane, Saint Niall Quinn or the 'Irish Invasion'. So get use to it fellas, heroes come & go but Sunderland will always be here! Ha'way the Lads!!

FTM

Greenforever
06/02/2008, 10:33 AM

jason mcateer:D

Sheridan
06/02/2008, 10:43 AM
SAFC isn't just about Roy Keane, Saint Niall Quinn or the 'Irish Invasion'.
That's the only context in which it's ever registered on an Irish football fan's radar, though (quite rightly.) At first Sunderland were as irrelevant to Irish football as any other middling-to-small overseas club, then they became direct competition (after a fashion), soon they'll be irrelevant again. I don't think anyone harbours any animus towards the club per se.

gustavo
06/02/2008, 10:51 AM
That's the only context in which it's ever registered on an Irish football fan's radar, though (quite rightly.) At first Sunderland were as irrelevant to Irish football as any other middling-to-small overseas club, then they became direct competition (after a fashion), soon they'll be irrelevant again. I don't think anyone harbours any animus towards the club per se.

Exactly , If RTE were your only source of information about football (God forbid) then you would be thinking the club officially changed its name to "Roy Keanes Sunderland" ,

BohDiddley
06/02/2008, 11:17 AM
Not quite. When I were a lad, I remember, Sunderland was the (Esso, I think) card that you couldn't give away, unless you swapped with your little brother. :D

SunderlandBohs
06/02/2008, 11:41 AM
So people have a problem with Quinn, Keane & the media not Sunderland? I think its unfair to paint all Sunderland fans with the same brush. Just as it is unfair to say all Rovers/Bohs fans are scum just because a hand full go out to cause trouble. Its not like we never had any interest in Ireland before Keane took over. After all Charlie Hurley & Billy Bingham did play for us. Hence why we had a decent fan base North & South of the border before Keane came on the sence. I agree with you about the Irish media's & bar stoolers interest in Sunderland. They are the same people who would shout for anyone against Sunderland when McCarthy was there but now ,all of a sudden, are Sunderland 'fans'.

Royal rover
06/02/2008, 12:46 PM
Why all the anti-Sunderland talk? So every Sunderland fan in the world is a band wagon jumper? I tell you why Royal Rover why I fly to the North East to see McShane & co. Because I'm a loyal supporter. I was there when Gabbadini, Bennett & co were there & if we're relagated to the Blue Square North I'd still be there. So get over yourselves lads. We've been around since 1879 & we'll be around for other 129 years. SAFC isn't just about Roy Keane, Saint Niall Quinn or the 'Irish Invasion'. So get use to it fellas, heroes come & go but Sunderland will always be here! Ha'way the Lads!!

FTM

Absolutely no problem with lads like yourself i actually feel sorry for lads like as you as genuine supporters, my hatred lies for these idiots who decide lets go and watch sunderland this season, the majority of which either supported or support the united and liverpools of this world - or satelite supporters, rightly so sunderland as club we long there after quinn sells up and keane gets the sack for spending 40 million, i was at home for xmas - the biggest cheer of the day in the pub wasn't even the fact the west ham had beaten man united, it was that sunderland had won 2.1, sums it up really

Boh_So_Good
06/02/2008, 12:56 PM
I don't think anyone harbours any animus towards the club per se.

Me neither. I have met a few Sunderland supporters (real ones, not Oirish) and they were lovely people. Mind you, Sunderland is an ABSOLUTE ****hole of a city. Has nothing going for it. I could understand a weekend for paddies in Manchester or London with a soccer match thrown in. But Sunderland makes Limerick look like Paris or Milan.

It's not Sunderland and their supporters. It's Quinn's Colonial British mindset trying to fool the O'Coolies which is the issue. Along with the retards in the Irish media and business.

A face
06/02/2008, 5:19 PM
I could understand a weekend for paddies in Manchester or London with a soccer match thrown in. But Sunderland makes Limerick look like Paris or Milan.

You'd be very surprised so, Limerick over the last few years is a great place to go out in.

And Milan is over-rated ;)