PDA

View Full Version : What Albums Did your Parents Own?

Wolfie
24/01/2008, 8:21 AM
Any recollections from childhood as to what albums your folks owned?

To jog the memory, some may recall epic car journeys when holidaying in Ireland / visting country relatives when the car tapes unleashed such crimes against the senses as Chris De Burgh, Elkie Brooks and the music from "Chess".

These albums made it onto the folks car tape playlist at certain times in the 80's:

Chris De Burgh
Elkie Brooks
The Love Songs of the Beatles - The Beatles
But Seriously - Phil Collins
Graceland - Paul Simon
Abba - Greatest Hits
The Best of the Bee Gees - The Bee Gees
Hits out of Hell - Meatloaf
The Best of the Dubliners

Maybe there's other car journey survivors out there, trying to get on with their haunted lives, with their own tale of woe.......................................

tetsujin1979
24/01/2008, 9:52 AM
I still have nightmares of long distance journeys with endless Neil Diamond albums.

Block G Raptor
24/01/2008, 10:25 AM
a Vinyl copy of Wolfe Tones - Rifle's of the IRA is still knocking around the Gaff with a sticker with me ma's maiden name on it,
Other than that they actually hadn't got bad taste, found a load of Beatles and T-rex in the attic there a while ago

Risteard
24/01/2008, 11:11 AM
Jimmy Nail - Crocodile Shoes
Kenny Rogers , Patsy Cline - Greatest Hits
Dylan.
Also Gilbert Sulivan.

jebus
24/01/2008, 11:14 AM
Father played mostly Beatles and Rat Pack albums, mother had a liking for Joe Dolan and Duran Duran if I recall correctly

jmurphyc
24/01/2008, 11:18 AM
My parents actually have decent taste in music. I actually like a lot of the stuff that they used to listen to (as depressing as that is). Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Jimi Hendrix to name but a few.

Schumi
24/01/2008, 11:25 AM
Graceland - Paul SimonMe too. :D Although I don't mind it, I liked those car trips to visit the relatives down the country.

Wolfie
24/01/2008, 11:31 AM
My parents actually have decent taste in music. I actually like a lot of the stuff that they used to listen to (as depressing as that is). Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Jimi Hendrix to name but a few.

Yeah - in fairness to my folks they did have "cooler" albums but they never made it to the car for some reason!!!!

They had a lot of Neil Young, Dylan and Al Stewart stuff that I plundered years later.

placid casual
24/01/2008, 11:35 AM
in my youth we were subjected to the following in the car.
(bear in mind we had no tape deck and were made to sing)

Boney M- Brown girl in the ring
The Dubliners -Weila Wila :eek:(a song about a child murderer!)
Gilbert O'Sullivan -Claire
Showaddywadyy-under the moon of love.

different days.::)

Lionel Ritchie
24/01/2008, 12:46 PM
Carpenters -Christ we couldn't go on a summer holiday without getting a fortnight of Carpenters. "One tape!!? you brought a tape recorder and one f*&^ing tape?!"

good days.

Others that come to mind are

Kenny Rogers
...that is all.

Unreal Madrid
24/01/2008, 4:14 PM
Elvis :cool:
Patsy Cline Now Crazy is brill but '3 cigarates in an ashtry':eek:
Johnny McAvoy :o

Kingdom
25/01/2008, 8:33 AM
My parents had terrible taste in music. I should edit that, my father had terrible taste in music.

Gloria Estefan
Swing Out Sister
Lisa Stansfield
Loads of Funk and Motown - but none of the decent stuff.
Had to put up with shyte like Neil Diamond too. George Michael also.
Disturbing childhood. Very disturbing.

stann
25/01/2008, 7:07 PM
Don't recall too many albums, though me Dad did have the ubiquitous Neil Diamond and Johnny McEvoy tapes. He liked Harry Belafonte too! :D
Years ago though I was very surprised and delighted to learn that me mam used to have the NME delivered to the depths of rural Tipperary back in the 60s.
:cool: on her behalf!

Tis-smeee
25/01/2008, 7:19 PM
Plenty of bagatelle ,Dublin City Ramlblers, Wolfe Tones, Elkie Brooks over and over

and over

Billsthoughts
26/01/2008, 8:20 AM
in my youth we were subjected to the following in the car.
(bear in mind we had no tape deck and were made to sing)

Boney M- Brown girl in the ring
The Dubliners -Weila Wila :eek:(a song about a child murderer!)
Gilbert O'Sullivan -Claire
Showaddywadyy-under the moon of love.

different days.::)

ha ha brilliant:D

Lionel Ritchie
26/01/2008, 11:01 AM
My parents had terrible taste in music. I should edit that, my father had terrible taste in music.

Gloria Estefan
Swing Out Sister
Lisa Stansfield
Loads of Funk and Motown - but none of the decent stuff.
Had to put up with shyte like Neil Diamond too. George Michael also.
Disturbing childhood. Very disturbing.

Christ!:eek:

I was asked to leave a public house once for singing "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" when the news reported that Gloria Estefan was on a life support machine following a bus crash. Measured and rational response I thought at the time.

BohsPartisan
27/01/2008, 9:53 AM
My Dad's old Vinyl that I used to listen to constantly as a kid consisted of The Beatles, The Who, The Kinks, The Small Faces, The Stones, Elvis, Buddy Holly and loads Ex-Jukebox singles of varying quality. Of My Ma's music the only thing I listened to was Scott Walker and the Walker Brothers.

GenerationXI
27/01/2008, 12:39 PM
Kenny Rogers, Smokie, Billy Joel. . . but that was when I was younger, then my Dad went through a phase of buying new music recently, which he inevitably thought I'd find cool, somehow, like Dido and Pink. It made some sense that he would like music from his own era that I wouldn't, but the choices he made in more modern music were tragic.

Actually, what do your parents listen to now?

superfrank
28/01/2008, 10:17 AM
The stuff I remember being played most: Hank Williams Snr. & Jnr., Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, T-Rex/Marc Bolan, The Saw Doctors, Rocky Horror Soundtrack, John Prine, Fleetwood Mac, Dean Martin, Nina Simone, Blues Brothers, Meat Loaf.

Also, I remember every Saturday night, going back about 15 years, we'd listen to this show on 2FM or 98FM, can't remember which, and it played all 60's stuff (the stuff my mother grew up listening to). It was almost always in the same sequence as well.

Schumi
28/01/2008, 11:34 AM
Also, I remember every Saturday night, going back about 15 years, we'd listen to this show on 2FM or 98FM, can't remember which, and it played all 60's stuff (the stuff my mother grew up listening to). It was almost always in the same sequence as well.
98 FM. My mum made a tape of an hour (or however long the tape was) of it and played it in the car on trips down the country. You'd know the next song before it even started. :eek:

Sam_Heggy
28/01/2008, 1:06 PM
Status quo :o My Da would jump up and down while running around the room singing this awful tripe. When my brother was doing a sound check on saturday my Da came in and demanded some quo its beyond a feckin joke.

Lim till i die
28/01/2008, 1:10 PM
My dad has an absolute obsession with Big Band music from the 1920s up to the 1940s, it's all you ever hear in my house.

Real expert on the area.

Definitely the only household I know where Malcolm Laycok on BBC Radio 2 at 10pm of a Sunday night is essential listening.

Now that he has discovered the interweb, I fear I'll never use the home computer again.

ken foree
28/01/2008, 4:44 PM
hey it's a nice thread. the beach boys greatest hits were in constant rotation in the car on holidays. their chlorinated harmonies fit the blue-green atlantic off the kerry coast very well in fact. abba and stockton's wing also got heavy play.

Magicme
28/01/2008, 6:52 PM
Have a stash of my mums old vinyl singles with stuff like the beatles and stones but in the car as kids we got to listen to Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Charlie Pride and Don Williams mostly. I still sing-a-long to them when I hear them.

My dad was in a showband so we were tortured at home with whatever were the big hits of the time (early 70's).

On the Quo thing, my uber cool older brother used to love them. I always thought they were crap but then I like Wham so who am I to judge. One time we were driving somewhere with my mum and I insisted my Wham tape got played. My brother promptly ejected it from the stereo and threw it out the window and the car behind us made even more ****e of it! He made up for it by buying me a lovely picture of George & Andrew for Christmas though.

McShels
01/02/2008, 1:35 PM
My Dad - Johnny McEvoy, Marty Robbins, Del Shannon, Patsy Cline, Kenny Rogers, Wolfe Tones, Dubliners, Paddy Reilly, Makem and Clancy, Frank Sinatra, Bill Hayley.

My Mam - Abba, Dusty Springfield.

But have to thank my folks for introducing me to Elvis and Johnny Cash quality stuff.

DmanDmythDledge
13/02/2008, 12:09 AM
My dad has a music collection which contains roughly 2,000 albums, consisting of LPs, tape recordings and CDs. Mainly into all that country stuff, in particular bluegrass.

I can't stand the sh!te...:)

deecay
13/02/2008, 12:18 AM
Without knowing I memorised numourous Johnny Cash songs,dont mind it though

Macy
14/02/2008, 11:27 AM
Stones, Beatles, Dylan, Status Quo (vastly underated). Me mam went through a folk spell in college so there was some of that too. They also had one of those LP collections of an LP for each band which had loads of cool stuff on it as well as awful pop rubbish.

No nightmare car journeys with us, never mind the list above, my old man was definitely a radio listener when driving.

Ash
14/02/2008, 12:26 PM
Japers, all I can remember from my parents vinyl are Joe Dolan and Big Tom!
Singles were everything and anything.

Think we had a few from The Falcons cos my uncle played with them.
(Not the American ones, more of a Midlands outfit)

rebs23
14/02/2008, 12:35 PM
My Da- The Who, The Kinks, The Who and more Who
My Mum - Joe Dolan, Joe Dolan oh and the Nolan Sisters (I think)
Probably explains why we always knew as kids they'd divorce.:D

centre mid
15/02/2008, 5:04 PM
My Dad had loads of Johnny Cash and Elvis, with a bit of Val Doonican throw in for good measure.

My eldest bro got us all into Punk then Ska & Reggae

Totally screwed...

bellavistaman
18/02/2008, 10:19 AM
Status quo :o My Da would jump up and down while running around the room singing this awful tripe. When my brother was doing a sound check on saturday my Da came in and demanded some quo its beyond a feckin joke.

Cool!! Suppose Neish gave him a big lecture too. :D

Dublin12
18/02/2008, 7:14 PM
My Dad's old Vinyl that I used to listen to constantly as a kid consisted of The Beatles, The Who, The Kinks, The Small Faces, The Stones, Elvis, Buddy Holly and loads Ex-Jukebox singles of varying quality. Of My Ma's music the only thing I listened to was Scott Walker and the Walker Brothers.

Hello Son:D