PDA

View Full Version : Moderator Discussion ONLY

drinkfeckarse
22/01/2008, 3:32 PM
Just back from a nice weekend back home where no doubt I ran into one or 2 of you. ;)

I appreciate a few of you suggesting myself but I posted earlier about how I don't have the time really to do it properly for various reasons but I have been ruled out now anyway so it doesn't matter (hadn't read Dahamsta's post properly :o).

Keep this thread for discussion only, NOT nominations and keep it clean. You know yourselves that far too many threads lately are descending into childish crap so we wouldn't even need to be discussing a moderator if everyone could cut out the name calling etc.

rambler14
22/01/2008, 4:09 PM
I've been nominated and personally I don't have a problem with being a moderator. I'm on this forum everyday so i'd be able to keep track of things fairly well.
Whoever it is that gets voted in as moderator will be filling a position that is badly needed on this forum so i'm not really that bothered as to whether it's me or someone else.
I feel you were hard done by drinkfeckarse and we probably just lost the best candidate for the position.i.e you
R u still allowed to vote?

6yardpunisha
22/01/2008, 4:18 PM
I've been nominated and personally I don't have a problem with being a moderator. I'm on this forum everyday so i'd be able to keep track of things fairly well.
Whoever it is that gets voted in as moderator will be filling a position that is badly needed on this forum so i'm not really that bothered as to whether it's me or someone else.
I feel you were hard done by drinkfeckarse and we probably just lost the best candidate for the position.i.e you R u still allowed to vote?

how does a moderator operate?, does he do dahamstas job and hand out infractions etc?does he use his own interpretation as to what is deemed offensive or out of line.

rambler14
22/01/2008, 4:22 PM
how does a moderator operate?, does he do dahamstas job and hand out infractions etc?does he use his own interpretation as to what is deemed offensive or out of line.

I assume he uses his own interpretation as to what is deemed offensive or out of line. Deletes off topic posts and deletes abusive posts. Locks threads that have gotten out of hand, etc...

6yardpunisha
22/01/2008, 4:24 PM
I assume he uses his own interpretation as to what is deemed offensive or out of line. Deletes off topic posts and deletes abusive posts. Locks threads that have gotten out of hand, etc...

wouldnt mind some clarification on this as we all know some of our threads can get a bit feisty

dahamsta
22/01/2008, 4:38 PM
Moderators are expected to implement our rules at their discretion. Fiesty is ok, disruptive is not. At the moment, the Cobh forum is disruptive.

don ramo
22/01/2008, 4:44 PM
i also wouldnt mind doing this, im on every day, as 14 said its just to keep the place clean and tidy, its a football forum, so none footballing topics are deleted, you cant expect dahamsta to keep track of every piece of abuse that happens, so there are moderaters, if one is appointed they would have to be here on a fairly regulary basis, our forum had tripeled id say in the last 6 months, so you would (i assume) have to pick someone here longer than that, and with a lot of posts, not a fire head

top of my head
me
bellavistman
ramblers 14
and ramsfan
all here constantly
cant think of any more just add to the list,

haha just noticed 14 is here 3 years longer than me and i have more posts than him, and im here longer than bella and he has twice my posts:eek:

also lads if anyone is made moderater you will not be allowed bully, youd have to accept other peoples point of view and not delete threads cause you dont like a certain person

luka
22/01/2008, 4:47 PM

I'd assume that there are a set of guidelines set out by Admin that all Moderators need to adhere to. Let's keep in mind that Moderators need to be level-headed and very openminded, especially when it comes to an argument or something that involve a 'buddy'. It's a known fact that being a Moderator of any forum on any site gives that Moderator a certain amount of 'power', which is sometimes abused.

I have no idea what policies are in place here regarding the distribution of infractions, thread and post deletion etc etc and quite frankly I have no reason to want to know.

DFA made a point that some of the threads in here going down the swanny as they progress and he's correct in what he says. I'm party to that just as much as anyone else here. Everyone has their likes and dislikes.

I'm aware of the average age of the users specific to the Ramblers section here and would hate to think that one of you would be putting yourselves forward, or having the 'buddy' nominate you for the Moderators role 'just for a laugh' so you can delete things, not because you find them offensive or against the rules here, but because you have a certain dislike for another user.

To conclude, I'd say that being perfectly honest with ourselves, there isn't a need for a Moderator here if we all (and I include myself in that) behave, but that's my own personal opinion, but would recommend that if there were one put in place that maybe, and just maybe, he should hail from another section of the forums or at least already be a moderator and willing to take on the Ramblers Mod role.

Now that must be the most sensible post I've ever written ;) No need to agree ;)

6yardpunisha
22/01/2008, 4:50 PM
also lads if anyone is made moderater you will not be allowed bully, youd have to accept other peoples point of view and not delete threads cause you dont like a certain person[/quote]

do we have someone who could fill the criteria set above

dahamsta
22/01/2008, 5:01 PM
In the 6+ years that Foot.ie has been running, we've had a pretty good record on picking mods that are above that sort of childishness. So leave us to worry about it please.

rambler14
22/01/2008, 5:03 PM
do we have someone who could fill the criteria set above

I doubt it but we need someone who knows Ramblers. An outside source is not the answer IMO.
What luka said is not necesserily the criteria needed. Reading luka's post he seems to be assuming that some of the nominations are jokes but from what i see they seem to be honest posts.
The average age isn't as low as we think on here. Theres a lot of people after being deleted from the forum by dahamsta and they were all young fellas who were too wild. So with them gone the average age went up.

Rams-07
22/01/2008, 5:05 PM
Think Luka makes a lot of sense in his post..suppose we are all guilty of going OTT at some time or other but lately its got really out of control..some people just cant see other peoples points of view and start a slagging match..IMO a fair few of the elder "posters" are not posting very much and I think the reason for this is the way things develope here..Think lads some people mite think before they post and no need for insults..

luka
22/01/2008, 5:09 PM
You read it wrong then R14. I believe they are all genuine nominations by the poster. I hope to see some of you out on the campaign trail later this evening. No rubbish through my letterbox thanks.

bellavistaman
22/01/2008, 5:19 PM
indeed this place has been severely messy recently, but i think, dahamsta, your best best might be to hang as tough as tough as ya can until the season starts, because alot of the posts have no football meaning, and theres not alot happening in rams either.

Wait until the AGM draws nearer though.. :eek::eek::eek:

don ramo
22/01/2008, 6:20 PM
well lads at the end of the day we need someone who can stay a moderater for longer than six months, as dahamsta said he and the other mods will decide, so we must ask is there anyone here, and i honestly dont think so

rambler14
22/01/2008, 7:04 PM
Whoever it may be.......good luck!:)

Let the campaigns begin..........

luka
22/01/2008, 7:10 PM
I'm easily bribed R14

ramsfan
22/01/2008, 8:04 PM
moderator= unbiased(not committee etc)fair, level headed and not easily wound up , let us think struggling here a little bit. people come on here for chat and moan in equal measures, if your a mod have to be whiter than white whoever does it will prob get very bored of sitting on fence very quickly IMO

Rams-07
22/01/2008, 8:06 PM
Whiter than white? Michael Jackson so..

ramsfan
22/01/2008, 8:09 PM
and forgot the most important thing cant go following players into shops and other outlets;)

ramsfan
22/01/2008, 8:11 PM
give it to outside in , loves the controversy see how long he goes before he cracks and lets out a rant:p

outside in
22/01/2008, 8:35 PM
give it to outside in , loves the controversy see how long he goes before he cracks and lets out a rant:p
i dont like controversy,but when it comes knocking......:D

Marco
22/01/2008, 8:56 PM
Bella or Don, but Don would have to spend less time on the other forum:eek:, but we do need a mod.

don ramo
22/01/2008, 9:49 PM
Bella or Don, but Don would have to spend less time on the other forum:eek:, but we do need a mod.

:D

im not a mod there, so i gladly stick the knife in, but id say theyll see it coming;)

osarusan
23/01/2008, 1:04 AM
From an outsider's point of view (an outsider who has never been on the Cobh forum before), I've noticed that Bellavistaman seems to be a consistently level-headed poster.

That's not a slight on any of the others, he is just the only one I've noticed.

Dunny
23/01/2008, 1:29 AM
at Bellavistaman seems to be a consistently level-headed poster.

Agreed.

drinkfeckarse
23/01/2008, 7:51 AM
R u still allowed to vote?

I assume so but I can't really say I have a favourite so I haven't bothered. Yourself, Rams 07, Luka and BVM are all worthy candidates IMO.

dahamsta
23/01/2008, 10:01 AM
Off-topic crap split here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=81569). This thread is for discussion about moderator nominations only, not chat about the weather, not how I run the site or how nasty I am. This is how it's going to be in the Cobh forum, get used to it or go away.

Next off-topic post will result in the thread being locked and a ban from the Cobh forum, and that includes replying to my post. Back on topic now please.

adam

rambler14
23/01/2008, 10:08 AM
OK so
I think either bella or luka should become the moderator

don ramo
23/01/2008, 3:13 PM
there wil be no moderater appointed to the rams forum, this thread is prove that if there is a new mod added to the site they will not be a rams supporter, so we can argue this till firday, but we all know one of us wont get it, so may as well let his thread die,

ramsfan
23/01/2008, 3:14 PM
agreed

rambler14
23/01/2008, 3:38 PM
I don't think we want one anymore do we? Its just been over complicated by the dahamsta making it seem so serious.

Sam_Heggy
23/01/2008, 3:51 PM
Bellavistaman and 6yardpunisha seem the best options from what Ive seen on here.

MojoPin
23/01/2008, 3:53 PM
It is serious if you take a look at other forums on the net they are full of off topic remarks and fights just like where our forum is heading. Just look at, dont know if im allowed do this, the PROC forum a thread rarely gets over 3 pages of replies as all threads turn into silly ramblings. This is why a mod is needed. basically to keep us all, me included, in check.

otherwise we may aswell make our own forum and fight about stupid things.

dahamsta
23/01/2008, 5:26 PM
That's precisely why a mod is needed, well said MojoPin. The simple fact of the matter is that people - generally - like Foot.ie because it keeps people in check, which in turn keeps discussions adult and interesting. As soon as you let is slide, conversations get more and more childish, and less and less interesting. The Cobh forum has slid for a second time, and a mod is needed to get it back on track. The problem is finding a suitable mod. I'd like to find someone "local", but that may not be possible.

adam

bellavistaman
23/01/2008, 5:29 PM
i reckon things will calm down in bit, but at the m o we are in need of a mod, mojopin is right it looks like its gonna get alot worse very soon.

bellavistaman
23/01/2008, 5:39 PM
That's precisely why a mod is needed, well said MojoPin. The simple fact of the matter is that people - generally - like Foot.ie because it keeps people in check, which in turn keeps discussions adult and interesting. As soon as you let is slide, conversations get more and more childish, and less and less interesting. The Cobh forum has slid for a second time, and a mod is needed to get it back on track. The problem is finding a suitable mod. I'd like to find someone "local", but that may not be possible.

adam

Surely somebody from outside cobh wouldnt have a clue about whats fair or not fair, if outside cobh, maybe you pick few nominations and let us decide from them, because god forbid if we had LTID or Jebus as mod. :D

Sam_Heggy
23/01/2008, 5:40 PM
On the Harps forum we have a "thread for general crap" we post all our crap in there and usually keeps the rest of the threads on topic and sensible (ish). Just a suggestion.

bellavistaman
23/01/2008, 5:43 PM
On the Harps forum we have a "thread for general crap" we post all our crap in there and usually keeps the rest of the threads on topic and sensible (ish). Just a suggestion.

was thinking the same last week, put in in sticky or something, local tripe it could be called. :)

i nominated sam heggy only if it is to be given to an "outsider" so to speak.

dahamsta
23/01/2008, 9:53 PM
maybe you pick few nominations and let us decide from themThe existing moderators will decide, or failing that I will.

bellavistaman
23/01/2008, 10:10 PM
The existing moderators will decide, or failing that I will.

fair enough

rambler14
27/01/2008, 8:01 PM
So Who is our new moderator?