PDA

View Full Version : Finnan retires from International Football

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

frankbrett
22/01/2008, 1:10 PM
The Liverpool right back made 50 appearances for the Republic of Ireland since making his debut against Greece in April 2000.

Said Finnan: "I've thoroughly enjoyed my time in the Republic team, with the World Cup in 2002 being the highlight of my international career.

"But I'll be 34 when the next tournament comes around so it's the right time for me to step down.

"There will be a new manager coming in soon who will have his own ideas for the future with younger players having the chance to stake their claim to be in his plans."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N158532080122-1406.htm

Risteard
22/01/2008, 1:12 PM
**** off so ya mercenary.
I hate this crap.
31 is near your prime for a defender.

Dr. Ogba
22/01/2008, 1:14 PM
Don't know if it calls for this sort of response ^^^^^^^^^ but its a shame cause we could have done with his experience for the new campaign. Good news for Stephen Kelly though (or even Kevin Foley) as it finally looks like he's ready to step up to the plate so may not affect us as much as you'd think...

drinkfeckarse
22/01/2008, 1:14 PM
Mercenary?? Finnan has been nothing but a loyal servant for us. Being dropped and played out of position half the time without grumbling.

I'd love if he stayed on but if not then I personally wouldn't have a bad word said against him.

Btw, is there a source for this?

Plastic Paddy
22/01/2008, 1:16 PM
Oh come on Risteard, that's harsh. Finnan has been a consistently strong performer for Ireland and just got on with the job at hand when plenty of other players spent too much time and energy flouncing about and not enough concentrating on their football. He will be missed in a green shirt, that's for sure.

:ball: PP

Stuttgart88
22/01/2008, 1:17 PM
Source?

tetsujin1979
22/01/2008, 1:20 PM
Liverpool's website: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N158532080122-1406.htm

NeilMcD
22/01/2008, 1:22 PM
Retiring way too early.

Stuttgart88
22/01/2008, 1:23 PM
Bugger. That's a big loss. One of my favourite Irish players but despite all the good performances I think this is a really disappointing decision. As a senior player he should take responsibility for our qualification not pass the buck to a younger player.

It's that whole thing I've been ranting about lately. Building for the future is a fallacy. Replacing good older players with weaker young ones doesn't make you a better team.

Step up to the plate Stephen Kelly and Joey O'Brien I guess. Foley still has to get more seasoned to be considered an international.

Bondvillain
22/01/2008, 1:24 PM
Mercenary is harsh. Even before he scored in Croke park, he was one of the few who actually looked semi-interested in not losing the Cyprus game, and has done so on many occasions previously, when either dropped on a whim or played out of position by a madhead.

The longevity of his retirement will very much depend on the Next managers communication skills.

Risteard
22/01/2008, 1:28 PM
New manager having his own ideas . . . . . . .
younger players having a chance to stake their claim . . . . . . . .

Two poor sentences.
Utter bull****.
Crap talk.

"I'm quitting my team because a new manager might have his own ideas."
In fairness, what in the name of jebus is that meant to actually mean?
I know we've heard all this before but why can't he dispense with the crap-talk?
He should just admit he prefers those 4 or 5 midweeks or weekends off, say he wants to spend more time with his family or something.
A lazy statement.

jebus
22/01/2008, 1:31 PM
Good luck to him I say, what does he owe Ireland? **** all is the answer, Liverpool is where his bread and butter is at, not some poxy national team who refuse to play him in his natural position.

LeviathanNI
22/01/2008, 1:32 PM
I'm surprised at this... early 30's would seem to be the ideal age for an International defender ie experience

Has anything happened in the background that would have made his mind up? I suppose there is the chance that he can be talked out of it, and as long as he is playig top level football, he is still an option when needed.

Dr. Ogba
22/01/2008, 1:33 PM
some poxy national team who refuse to play him in his natural position.

:confused:

NeilMcD
Who do you support Jebus.

shakermaker1982
shame and a player I have always rated, at least we have Kelly to fill the gap.

Maroon 7
22/01/2008, 1:34 PM
Not that surprising. He's been in and out of the Liverpool team this season and has started to pick up niggling injuries. He'll be 32 shortly.

Thanks for everything Stevie.

Don't think it's right to give him stick. He often played out of position for Ireland and was one of the few players who looked bothered when the Cypriots were about to beat us at home.

ruben_sosa
22/01/2008, 1:34 PM
Has anything happened in the background that would have made his mind up? yes, perhaps the identity of the new Ireland manager being leaked to the players.

NeilMcD
22/01/2008, 1:37 PM
How old were Paul Mc Grath, Ray Houghton, Andy Townsend John Giles when they retired for Ireland. This trend of retiring when you are 31 is a joke. Finnan never really reproduced his club form for Ireland and he had some shocking performances for Ireland most notably in Cyprus twice. In addition he had great performances in the 2002 World Cup. Gone down in my book but maybe he can be persuaded to come back by the new manager.

Dr. Ogba
22/01/2008, 1:38 PM
Come back Stephen Carr all is forgiven !!! :D

jebus
22/01/2008, 1:40 PM
Who do you support Jebus.

Limerick 37, couldn't give two ****s about the national side, but I do about a proud Limerick native getting called a mercenary for leaving a side that refuse to acknowledge that he is currently the best right full they have, or that he probably is the best right full in the Priemer League at the moment

reder
22/01/2008, 1:41 PM
As an Ireland fan, im gutted but as a red I am over the moon. This means he can concentrate 100% on club football.

Finnan has been an excellent servant and an ever present. Can only remember him missing one game of note, including friendlies. He has started to suffer with injuries a lot more this season and this could be the cause of this decision.

colster
22/01/2008, 1:42 PM
Good luck to him. If he's not totally committed to playing for Ireland then he is right to go. We have other options available in Kelly, O'Brien, O'Shea and Foley.
Just a thought what was his relationship with Houllier like?

reder
22/01/2008, 1:43 PM
Just a thought what was his relationship with Houllier like?

Excellent. I can tell you that 100%. Houllier brought Finnan to Anfield.

NeilMcD
22/01/2008, 1:43 PM
Limerick 37, couldn't give two ****s about the national side, but I do about a proud Limerick native getting called a mercenary for leaving a side that refuse to acknowledge that he is currently the best right full they have, or that he probably is the best right full in the Priemer League at the moment

Well if you dont care about the National side why are you posting in the Ireland forum. How did Ireland acknowledge that he is the best right full we have. I think he is the best right full we have but I would still play him at left back. If he is retring because of that well then he is an even bigger dick than I thought he was. I would play anywhere for my country if I could. Sometimes you have to play good players out of position to fill a gap and left back is that gap. Staunton played him right back nearly all the time anyway especially towards the end so your point is rubbish.

Also his form has not been great this season for Liverpool and has been out of the Liverpool side at times. In my view nobody should retire from international football, international football should retire them.

OneRedArmy
22/01/2008, 1:44 PM
International football is dead and the sooner fans wise up to it the better.

The vast amount of money these lads earn from their clubs means that there'll be more and more Stephen Ireland's and Steve Finnan's in the future.

His excuse is pathetic. As many have said above, 31 is still in a players prime.

The idea of a player "retiring" from international football makes my blood boil. The mere thought that they may be dropped at some stage in the future is enough to get them to throw the towel in case their fragile egos can't cope with it as they are so used to being in the centre of everything. Note their expectation that they would be consulted in the appointment of the new manager!!!! WTF?!?!?! Since when do employees decide on their boss?!

As far as I remember, players up until 10 or 15 years ago didn't retire from international football. They played until they didn't get picked anymore.

This is one symptom of a wider problem and one of the reasons I take little joy in following the bunch of money grabbing primadonnas* that currently wear the jersey that many of us would crawl over broken glass to wear.

*As with most things in life there are exceptions

citizenerased
22/01/2008, 1:44 PM
really really disappointed about finnan, i thought he might give it one last go for the world cup!We really need his for this campaign. it is a funny time for him to announce this..maybe houllier is getting the job and he doesnt get on with him or something...at least we have wee joey to fill the gap..

JimmyP
22/01/2008, 1:45 PM
I am surprised and disappointed by this.

Timing it for the day that the FAI hold a meeting about the new manager would seem like a huge coincidence.

NeilMcD
22/01/2008, 1:45 PM
So why is club football more pure and true so. Playrers leave there too for mercenary reasons. International football is ****ed, Club fooball is ****ed football is ****ed.

jebus
22/01/2008, 1:46 PM
Well if you dont care about the National side why are you posting in the Ireland forum. How did Ireland acknowledge that he is the best right full we have.

Because I feel like it and they didn't, thats my point, is my answer to those two questions

citizenerased
22/01/2008, 1:49 PM
well this is for irish fans so go set up a thread on the limerick boys forum

gilberto_eire
22/01/2008, 1:50 PM
Seems to be happening a lot these past few years.

If you can play club football at the top, you can play international, differant jersey and team-mates is 90% of it.
Standard is no better or worse then the champions league where he will be playing until he's 34 imo.

Age has also got nothing to do with ability, everybodys body ages at differant rates. I always hated when someone would say about a player i.e ''He's 34 now, they should get rid of him'' even though he might be playing as well as he ever was.

If he came out and said something along the lines of ''My legs arent as good as they were, more international games could mean retiring a year or two earlier then i would like'' that would be grand, instead of ''...ill be 34 by the next tournament....''
He seems to be assuming his body will not be in a good enough state to keep going at the top!!.

Give me Maldini/Larsson anyday!!:D

jebus
22/01/2008, 1:52 PM
well this is for irish fans so go set up a thread on the limerick boys forum

Can't be bothered, I think I'll just hang around here. Alternatively if ye'd set up a France National Team section I'd head off there, because if there's one national team I love, then it has to be France. Much prefer my representatives at international level to be millionaires I can't relate to with a French manager, than millionaires I can't relate to with a Cockney manager any day of the week

Deckydee
22/01/2008, 1:52 PM
Will miss him, few of the quality players that we have/had

NeilMcD
22/01/2008, 1:53 PM
Because I feel like it and they didn't, thats my point, is my answer to those two questions

Sorry that should read, how did they not acknowledge he was the best right back. As I said I acknowledge he was the best right back we had but I would still pick him at left back, that is calling picking a team, sometimes you have to do that.

Dr. Ogba
22/01/2008, 1:53 PM
International football is dead and the sooner fans wise up to it the better.

The vast amount of money these lads earn from their clubs means that there'll be more and more Stephen Ireland's and Steve Finnan's in the future.

His excuse is pathetic. As many have said above, 31 is still in a players prime.

The idea of a player "retiring" from international football makes my blood boil. The mere thought that they may be dropped at some stage in the future is enough to get them to throw the towel in case their fragile egos can't cope with it as they are so used to being in the centre of everything. Note their expectation that they would be consulted in the appointment of the new manager!!!! WTF?!?!?! Since when do employees decide on their boss?!

As far as I remember, players up until 10 or 15 years ago didn't retire from international football. They played until they didn't get picked anymore.

This is one symptom of a wider problem and one of the reasons I take little joy in following the bunch of money grabbing primadonnas* that currently wear the jersey that many of us would crawl over broken glass to wear.

*As with most things in life there are exceptions

totally agree with you. even the perception amongst fans of the game in general that international football is dying absolutely baffles me. How could this be???? Surely being born in a certain country forges part of your identity and stays with you for your entire life? Is it a case when these lads go abroad to chase the premiership dollars do they suddenly forget about where they come from?? I have worked abroad on several occasions and, if anything, I can say that it gives me a greater sense of national identity to be an Irishman living and working abroad.
Obviously being a footballer is not your regular job but I would have thought that there would be the same sense of pride in being Irish and definitely being given the opportunity to represent your country in some way shape or form would be the pinnacle of anyone's profession??!!!

Not having a go at Finnan in particular here but as ORA pointed out it seems that (certain) players view representing their country as some kind of hinderance to their career now rather than the pinnacle that it should be....

NeilMcD
22/01/2008, 1:54 PM
Can't be bothered, I think I'll just hang around here. Alternatively if ye'd set up a France National Team section I'd head off there, because if there's one national team I love, then it has to be France. Much prefer my representatives at international level to be millionaires I can't relate to with a French manager, than millionaires I can't relate to with a Cockney manager any day of the week

I am sure they France National team do have a forum so why dont you go there then, is it because you dont speak french and you would not understand what they are saying.

Denis The Red
22/01/2008, 1:54 PM
"There will be a new manager coming in soon who will have his own ideas for the future with younger players having the chance to stake their claim to be in his plans."

A bit premature, I think, and we'll miss him but does he know something we don't about the new manager?

And lay of the Limerick lads, jebus doesn't speak for us all.

jebus
22/01/2008, 1:56 PM
Sorry that should read, how did they not acknowledge he was the best right back. As I said I acknowledge he was the best right back we had but I would still pick him at left back, that is calling picking a team, sometimes you have to do that.

For a game or two yes, but constantly playing him out of position (left back, centre back and right midfield are some that spring to mind) is ridiculous and is the same slap in the face England delivered to Carragher. By retiring now Finnan can prolong his playing/paying days maybe a year or two longer, ala Shearer and Scholes. More power to him I say.

I am sure they France National team do have a forum so why dont you go there then, is it because you dont speak french and you would not understand what they are saying.

Que parlez-vous de ? Je parle l'à très bon français de mon temps habite en France! De toute façon j'aime la conversation du football sur ce site web

aidz1
22/01/2008, 1:58 PM
Disapointed to see that Finnan has retired. He was a great addition to the Irish team, a quality full back.
It seems an odd time to announce his retirement alright, considering he's not a regular with Liverpool anymore. Thought the extra 5-6 games a year would have suited him.
He may be 34 at the next world cup, but we could do with him as a 31/32 yr old during the qualifiers.

Reading maybe too much into this, but maybe he is aware of the next manager and there maybe some poor history with Mr. Houllier ??? who knows:confused:

Overall a bit of a knock back and will make it harder to qualify now :(

shakermaker1982
22/01/2008, 2:00 PM
Finnan and Carragher can play a few rounds of golf now during the international break. Fingers crossed they miss out on a european spot (CL and UEFA cup) and then they'll have even more free time :)

geysir
22/01/2008, 2:01 PM
Really sad news. It's a big blow to lose such a class player.
I'd have a small hope that the new manager would try hard to change his mind. But he sounds like a determined quiet chap who makes up his mind up firmly.

Claret Murph
With the managers job up for grabs , the bookies making a killing , this is not what I wanted to hear .
Now without a shadow of a doubt we will miss him ......

NeilMcD
For a game or two yes, but constantly playing him out of position (left back, centre back and right midfield are some that spring to mind) is ridiculous and is the same slap in the face England delivered to Carragher. By retiring now Finnan can prolong his playing/paying days maybe a year or two longer, ala Shearer and Scholes. More power to him I say

Carraghter, Finnan, similar theme building here, you are not in love with the men who play for Liverpool football club are you.

Firstly Carragher was not even in the top 4 centre backs who were English so did not deserve to play. He was a coward for retiring also. A player should wait to be called up by his country and be overjoyed if they play him in goals. Finann always got his game for Ireland and for the benefit of the team according to the manager at the time he was asked to play left back or right centre of midfield. He should have been and maybe was overjoyed to do. He should not be retiring now, and to be honest if you dont care about the Irish football team I am not really sure what you are doing here. Seems strange to hang around a forum that you are not interested in.

aidz1
22/01/2008, 2:03 PM
As an Ireland fan, im gutted but as a red I am over the moon. This means he can concentrate 100% on club football.

Finnan has been an excellent servant and an ever present. Can only remember him missing one game of note, including friendlies. He has started to suffer with injuries a lot more this season and this could be the cause of this decision.

how is it possible to be "gutted" and "over the moon" at the same time?? you either follow ireland or not.....
concentrating on your club career??? wdf....surely he could do with the extra games to keep him match sharp, cos he aint getting the games in at liverpool.

rambler14
22/01/2008, 2:04 PM
Thats the last thing we need. Carr was useless. Kelly's a pussy. Finnan was our only hope at right-back. I suppose Joey O'Brien can play there??............but still he's retired too early.

Armando
22/01/2008, 2:05 PM
Bugger. That's a big loss. One of my favourite Irish players but despite all the good performances I think this is a really disappointing decision. As a senior player he should take responsibility for our qualification not pass the buck to a younger player.

It's that whole thing I've been ranting about lately. Building for the future is a fallacy. Replacing good older players with weaker young ones doesn't make you a better team.

Step up to the plate Stephen Kelly and Joey O'Brien I guess. Foley still has to get more seasoned to be considered an international.

Spot ****ing on!! He's in his prime for God's sake!

This stinks. New manager has to approach Finnan and tell him he's needed and no need to turn up for friendlies because this would have been a deciding factor in Finnans decision.

I know how silly this is but, in a way players shouldn't really be allowed to retire from international football, without good reason, if they're still playing professionally. I mean what would happen if Keane, Duff, Given etc. etc. followed suit now at the same time...it would be a complete disaster.

In Finnans case he has just basically decided he doesn't want to play for Ireland anymore - nothing has changed from his last game for Ireland.

This definitely does not sit well with me...it's just not right:(

LeviathanNI
22/01/2008, 2:10 PM
Never understood how players could retire from their National team... it doesn't seem to be the source of pride it once was, and all these super paid players really should be ashamed. I would love to be skilled enough to pull on the green shirt of Northern Ireland at Windsor (as I'm sure a lot of you would love to do the same for your team), and give all those supporters something to cheer about... it would be a priviledge I would pay for ffs!

Is it not a priviledge anymore for these players? And if not, why not?

BradyIsMyHero
22/01/2008, 2:12 PM
Decent player - gave a lot to Ireland, so fair play to him.

Joey O'Brien playing well for Bolton at the minute

jebus
22/01/2008, 2:13 PM
Carraghter, Finnan, similar theme building here, you are not in love with the men who play for Liverpool football club are you.

Firstly Carragher was not even in the top 4 centre backs who were English so did not deserve to play. He was a coward for retiring also

. Seems strange to hang around a forum that you are not interested in.

Nope across the pond I support Sheffield Wednesday

You're not a Man Utd fan then are you?

You don't speak French obviously, my advice is to learn it and then decipher what I said back there