PDA

View Full Version : LOI Legends - Get Voting!

AustinoAsprilla
22/01/2008, 12:58 PM
RTE are having a vote for LOI legends. Check it out.....

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/features/loilegends.html

Joey Ndo, you've got my vote...

Block G Raptor
22/01/2008, 1:05 PM
RTE are having a vote for LOI legends. Check it out.....
Nominated Jackie Jameson for both Bohs and eL Greatest Player

biscuit
22/01/2008, 1:22 PM
Liam Coyle the best i can remnember seein consistantly (since about late 80's). Mark Rutherford and Stephen Geoghan in their prime, hated when we played against them. Pat Morley and John Caulfield, Joey Ndo, Hard to pick a rovers player as we've had an huge influx of players each season and half the squad leaving from as long as i can remember! this season being a slight exeption. Best players ive seen in a rovers jersey would be Ricardo Gabbiadini, Mark Kelly, Padraig Moran (in his prime), Eddie Annand, Will Hastie, Seamus Coleman, Fahrudin Kudozovic,mark Mclean, wes charles .... for loyalty Nicky Brujos.

alltogethernow
22/01/2008, 1:29 PM
Nominated Jackie Jameson for both Bohs and eL Greatest Player

Kevin Hunt

Krstic
22/01/2008, 1:29 PM
Liam Coyle would be my pick.

From another team I'd have to say Dave Barry for Cork.

Risteard
22/01/2008, 1:33 PM
Davey Barry would be my City pick aswell.
Tough judging other teams I think although I always remember Coyle, Tony Cousins and Jodi Byrne as leaving a big impression.

Block G Raptor
22/01/2008, 1:34 PM
Kevin Hunt

Blow in;);) no in fairness as great as Hunt has been for us and legend that he is there will only ever be one Jackie Jameson, Altogethernow do you mind if ask how old you are?

Mr A
22/01/2008, 1:40 PM
Brendan Bradley. More goals than any other LOI player ever. Enough Said.

Bluebeard
22/01/2008, 2:04 PM
As a Blues fan, I was a bit disgusted to see Bobby Charlton down as a League of Ireland Legend - a legend in the league of Ireland, perhaps, but his work for us, good as it was, was over a very few games. I was much happier to see Al Finucane there, also a good man for Lims fans, too.

Lim till i die
22/01/2008, 2:18 PM
I was much happier to see Al Finucane there, also a good man for Lims fans, too.

Maybe a collective Blues vote on this??

I reckon we could muster fifty or so :)

Rocky77
22/01/2008, 2:30 PM
Best: Stuart Byrne

Cult hero: Na na na na na na na na, Vinny Vinny Perth, Vinny Perth, Vinny Vinny Perth

McShels
22/01/2008, 2:38 PM
Step forward the one and only Tony Sheridan.

Honourable Mentions - Jackie Jameson, Liam Coyle, Pat Morley, Mick Neville

Sam_Heggy
22/01/2008, 2:52 PM
Brendan Bradley and Johnny Speak :cool:

Peter Hutton and *cough*cnut*cough* Liam Coyle both deserve mentions to be fair.

Bluebeard
22/01/2008, 3:43 PM

I think that a pact could be signed on this alright until we meet in the league. Finucane was a top grade player, one of the best, for both of us. Oldest man ever to play in European competiton when he lined out for us against Bordeaux in 1987. Has played more LOI games than anyone else, yet never sent off, captained Ireland without leaving the country - what's not to love?

Even Uefa.com celebrated his birthday, with this article. (http://www.uefa.com/uefa/history/onthisday/index,newsid=134083.html) They feted him as the main man this year, ahead of many other significant names from "bigger" leagues.

Citymark
22/01/2008, 3:49 PM
I'm a Cork City fan but I think some of the players who have played for city clubs under various guises (Hibs, Celtic, Fordsons etc) should be included.

Jackie Lennox was an excellent player during 50's, based on my dads unbiased opinion!
Karl Winginton (Wiggie) was an another my dad would always harp on about. Great at free kicks.

My own choice would be Alex Ludzic, legend, played over 4 decades. Great keeper and gentleman. I remember a guy threw toilet roll at him from the shed and he proceeded to pretend to wipe his arse! Shed was in teers!

pineapple stu
22/01/2008, 4:19 PM
Tony Mac!

Martinho II
22/01/2008, 6:08 PM
voted just now. liam coyle is my all time eircom league legend all his career he scored some crackers... pat " zac" hackett is my all time ltfc player. he was the chief reason I followed Ltfc in 89-90 season I went to soccer training two summers in a row from 1989 to 1990 and he coached us young lads. kept up the interest since...

Raheny Red
22/01/2008, 6:20 PM
Is this just an internet vote?

rambler14
22/01/2008, 7:19 PM
Pakie Kelly=Legend

lowroadrover
22/01/2008, 7:32 PM
Has to be Tony Fagan for me , a proper footballer .

onceahoop
22/01/2008, 8:12 PM
I'm a Cork City fan but I think some of the players who have played for city clubs under various guises (Hibs, Celtic, Fordsons etc) should be included.

Jackie Lennox was an excellent player during 50's, based on my dads unbiased opinion!
Karl Winginton (Wiggie) was an another my dad would always harp on about. Great at free kicks.

My own choice would be Alex Ludzic, legend, played over 4 decades. Great keeper and gentleman. I remember a guy threw toilet roll at him from the shed and he proceeded to pretend to wipe his arse! Shed was in teers!

What about Tucker Allan. A legend in his own lunchtime!!!

Seriously we all have our favourites from our own team. How about if we were to pick someone who never played for us. Al Finucane was a top player and would definitely figure in my pick. As for a Rovers player, there's been so many!!!

ramsfan
22/01/2008, 8:23 PM
defo packie kelly a loi legend

Murpholini
22/01/2008, 8:28 PM
Has to be Hagi, the one and only Eddie Gormley

Gingerh
22/01/2008, 8:41 PM
Patsy Freyne for me.

I bet Georgie boy gets the most votes on this.

pete
22/01/2008, 8:45 PM
Can only vote for someone I saw play.

Dave Barry - Bayern Munich & Effenburg (even non-LOI fans know that one), Galatasaray, League winner, Cup as player & manager.

gspain
23/01/2008, 10:34 AM
For Limerick I picked Kevin Fitzpatrick. 22 years of service, capped for Ireland and always loyal to the club. Great keeper.

for the league in general I'd say

Paddy Coad.

Notable mentions

~Brendan Bradley, Tony Fagan, Carl Davenport, Florrie Burke, Peter Thomas, alfie Hale, johnny Matthews, John O'Neill, Turlough O'connor, Ronnie Whelan snr, Jimmy Hasty, Jimmy Dunne, Barry Kehoe, Frank O'Neill, Paddy ambrose, and apologies for forgetting countless more.

stann
23/01/2008, 1:05 PM

Well, ye've only 30 or so down there, The Man Himself tells me, and we've got a few more up here, so I reckon we might actually total 70 odd. :D
That'll be plenty. I've proceeded as if this detente is now in operation.

oriel
23/01/2008, 3:39 PM
Two choices from Dundalk, The late, great Barry Kehoe for his sheer energy and skill, never seen the like since.

But the vote would have to go to Tommy McConnville, 3 lges and 3 cups with Dundalk, also 6 full caps i think, and he played with the great Waterford side in the early 70`s for a season or two also.

A true legend.

A face
31/01/2008, 9:59 AM
Has everyone entered this yet? Its actually great that RTE are doing something like this. Doesn't take the long people, take five minutes out and rattle something off.

OwlsFan
31/01/2008, 2:46 PM
They have "Al Finucane - Waterford" :confused:. To me he is a Limerick player. I don't even remember him playing for Waterford. I always remember his phrase "Some people would cuts their arms off to get their hands on the Cup" :D.

Blue Man
31/01/2008, 2:58 PM
Stephen Geoghegan and Tony Sheridan for me. Loved watching Liam Coyle and Gino Brazil too.Gino was top quality and an absolute gentleman off the pitch too

stann
01/02/2008, 11:11 AM
They have "Al Finucane - Waterford" :confused:. To me he is a Limerick player. I don't even remember him playing for Waterford. I always remember his phrase "Some people would cuts their arms off to get their hands on the Cup" :D.

Al won the Cup with the Blues in 1980 sure. And he played against Bordeaux in '86. Oldest player in the European Cup I think.

The Rebel Ram
04/02/2008, 3:40 PM
Pakie Kelly for consistency, performance, appearances and his continued support to training under age teams.

dortie
04/02/2008, 8:32 PM
Liam Coyle by a mile !!!!!

highlight100
04/02/2008, 8:47 PM
Eric Lavine for Longford but former Bohs and Man Utd player Mick Martin for the greatest of all time.

razor
06/02/2008, 10:17 AM
Having Doyler in there is a bit of a joke.
He wasn't with us a wet week.
Deccie Daly, Patsy Freyne or Davey Barry are the true City legends

forza rovers
06/02/2008, 11:43 AM
Gerry Carr for me

paudie
07/02/2008, 4:03 PM
Can only vote for someone I saw play.

Dave Barry - Bayern Munich & Effenburg (even non-LOI fans know that one), Galatasaray, League winner, Cup as player & manager.

Dave is a living legend but I don't think he won a Cup as a player, just a manager.

The Man Himself
07/02/2008, 5:11 PM
jimmy mcgeough. end of.

sliced pan
13/02/2008, 2:07 PM
Tony Sheridan was a league ahead in the 90's.
Paul Perth deserves a mention, just for his come back from the gear.

fanatic
19/04/2008, 1:08 PM
Step forward Derry City's Liam Coyle.

fully deserved, best player ive ever seen play in this league !