PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Nolan & Gary Cahill

Deckydee
22/01/2008, 10:35 AM
There be the names of two footballers.

Didnt Venables mention that he wanted to bring to new footballers to the ROI team?

gustavo
22/01/2008, 10:39 AM
can open , worms everywhere

Stuttgart88
22/01/2008, 10:44 AM
Ronaldinho and Pirlo are two others.

What have they all in common? None can play for Ireland.

I'm not sure if Cahill has played a competitive underage game for England but he's 22 now so he may not be eligible. As far as I know a senior cap, friendly or competitive is binding. A competitive underage cap is permanently binding but a friendly underage cap is not, though if you have only played underage friendlies you can elect to "change nationality" once as long as you are not yet 21. So, as I understand it, Cahill can play for us if he has only played underage friendlies for England.

Kevin Nolan has been done to death here. It's a red herring. He can NOT play for us.

Matthew Connolly is one I was thinking of. He has played for us already but switched to England. He is still only 20 but I think it's unlikely he can change back.

shakermaker1982
22/01/2008, 10:47 AM
even if they were eligible would we want them? O'Brien is getting game time and starting to impress once again. Central midfield is a problem area and Nolan has a good engine on him but I'm hoping S Reid will fill the CM problem position (with Garvan waiting in the wings).

Jerry The Saint
22/01/2008, 11:05 AM
Didier Deschamps for Player-Manager! You heard it here first.

Deckydee
22/01/2008, 11:13 AM

I'm not sure if Cahill has played a competitive underage game for England but he's 22 now so he may not be eligible. As far as I know a senior cap, friendly or competitive is binding. A competitive underage cap is permanently binding but a friendly underage cap is not, though if you have only played underage friendlies you can elect to "change nationality" once as long as you are not yet 21. So, as I understand it, Cahill can play for us if he has only played underage friendlies for England.

Kevin Nolan has been done to death here. It's a red herring. He can NOT play for us.

Matthew Connolly is one I was thinking of. He has played for us already but switched to England. He is still only 20 but I think it's unlikely he can change back.

Ah, sorry, not on the board that long to know that

Would love to see Connolly play for ROI!!

abbeyvale
22/01/2008, 11:50 AM
Ah, sorry, not on the board that long to know that

Would love to see Connolly play for ROI!!

The national team wont be too bad when they have a full squad to pick from, with Duff & Reid now back from injury, along with Morrisson in fine form for CPalace.

One I'd like to mention is Darron Gibson of Man Utd (currently on loan at Wolves) what a talent, and a good midfielder.

livehead1
22/01/2008, 12:03 PM
Yet to be really impressed by Gibson. What I will say in response to whether we would really need them...You can never have enough decent players.

boovidge
22/01/2008, 12:23 PM
even if they were eligible would we want them?

not if Ireland isn't their first choice (which it obviously isn't) .

It should be against the rules to mention the possibility of Nolan playing for Ireland :D

back of the net
22/01/2008, 12:35 PM
not if Ireland isn't their first choice (which it obviously isn't) .

It should be against the rules to mention the possibility of Nolan playing for Ireland :D

completely agree - whether nolan can/cant play for us - facts are he does not want to - he has been given ample opportunity to declare for us but hasnt - he has always been holding out for an england cap but mclaren never gave him the chance , now i am sure he will be waiting for capello to do likewise

he has no real desire to play for ireland imo - and that is not what we need

Ireland4ever
22/01/2008, 12:43 PM
Nolan - Definitely not. He had the chance and showed that he doesnt want to play for us, which is fair enough considering he's English!!

Next.

citizenerased
22/01/2008, 12:46 PM
Yeah the last thing the team needs is another passionless and lazy **** on the team..

Bondvillain
22/01/2008, 12:51 PM
Yeah, One John O Shea is quite enough for anyone.

What was the question again?

Stuttgart88
22/01/2008, 12:52 PM
One I'd like to mention is Darron Gibson of Man Utd (currently on loan at Wolves) what a talent, and a godd midfielder.What a potentially good midfielder and a shoe-in for our U21 side. He has played a quarter of a season of senior football in his whole life. The senior side should be for our best players, not our potentially best players. I think you can make the odd exception and I'd rank Garvan ahead of Gibson at this point in time.

We'd actually have a very good U21 side if we actually played our best U21 players. Instead they fill meaningless places in our senior team. McGeady and Joey O'Brien should be senior players in my opinion despite still being underage, probably also Garvan and maybe (big maybe) also Long and/or Stokes.

Senior squad places have become cheap in my opinion and Staunton got confused between potential and actual ability to play international football.

abbeyvale
22/01/2008, 1:14 PM
What a potentially good midfielder and a shoe-in for our U21 side. He has played a quarter of a season of senior football in his whole life. The senior side should be for our best players, not our potentially best players. I think you can make the odd exception and I'd rank Garvan ahead of Gibson at this point in time.

We'd actually have a very good U21 side if we actually played our best U21 players. Instead they fill meaningless places in our senior team. McGeady and Joey O'Brien should be senior players in my opinion despite still being underage, probably also Garvan and maybe (big maybe) also Long and/or Stokes.

Senior squad places have become cheap in my opinion and Staunton got confused between potential and actual ability to play international football.

All young players need senior experience at some stage!!

tetsujin1979
22/01/2008, 1:23 PM
Not at the cost of leaving out arguably better players. For example, Long is not playing better than Morrison at the moment and should in now way keep him out of the senior team

Stuttgart88
22/01/2008, 1:27 PM
All young players need senior experience at some stage!!yeah but come on, Gibson went on loan to Wolves when? He barely has senior club experience so it's hard to expect him to be ready for international football.

I'm with Tets on this one.

Our U21 side could actually be very good if we didn't disregard our best U21s.

dapman1
22/01/2008, 2:07 PM
What about that fella O'hara at Spurs. He looks fairly handy, does anybody know if he is elligible?

Stuttgart88
22/01/2008, 2:09 PM
Not eligible. Has the ancestry but has played underage for England and is 22 so can not change.

boovidge
22/01/2008, 2:09 PM
the general consensus is that he's 4th generation or cannot play because he's capped underage for England and hasnt changed before his 21st birthday.

superfrank
22/01/2008, 2:15 PM
yeah but come on, Gibson went on loan to Wolves when? He barely has senior club experience so it's hard to expect him to be ready for international football.
He was on loan in Belgium the year before that at the Man U club over there.

Stuttgart88
22/01/2008, 2:18 PM
Barely changes anything though SuperFrank, does it?

RogerMilla
22/01/2008, 2:23 PM
yeah bring that kevin nolan in, he can fill the gap that has never been filled since roy keane walked out on his country.... ah jaysis the bells , the bells

Dr. Ogba
22/01/2008, 2:43 PM
yeah bring that kevin nolan in, he can fill the gap that has never been filled since roy keane walked out on his country.... ah jaysis the bells , the bells

ah sure he didn't walk out on his country that fecker McCarthy sent him home! Our Roy would never do such a thing!

RogerMilla
22/01/2008, 2:50 PM
ah sure he didn't walk out on his country that fecker McCarthy sent him home! Our Roy would never do such a thing!

Nurse!

Metrostars
22/01/2008, 3:14 PM

No go on Cahill. From Wiki:

His first under-21 cap for England was the first game at the new Wembley Stadium, where he partnered Anton Ferdinand at the centre of the England defence. His final of four caps came in the 2007 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship, where he made one appearance.

DmanDmythDledge
22/01/2008, 5:39 PM
Let them get that at their clubs first and become good enough for international football.

ofjames
22/01/2008, 8:30 PM
i know this one's been done before as well but i think the eligibility of readings dave kitson could be one worth pursuing. I like him, and he's a bit of a target man which is the type of player we could do with

boovidge
22/01/2008, 8:40 PM
i know this one's been done before as well but i think the eligibility of readings dave kitson could be one worth pursuing. I like him, and he's a bit of a target man which is the type of player we could do with

yeah but why would we want to do a Scotland and lose all dignity by pursuing someone who clearly doesn't want to play for us?

gustavo
22/01/2008, 8:48 PM
So neither player is eligible , thread locked I think.