PDA

View Full Version : Jennings

MariborKev
22/01/2008, 7:54 AM
Local media reporting that P Jennings Jnr has been given permission to speak to Sligo.

Shedzer
22/01/2008, 7:59 AM
i dont think there is any need for a full time sub keeper

sligoman
22/01/2008, 3:19 PM
Jennings is as dodgy as feck! Better off with Brush.

deecay
22/01/2008, 3:52 PM
And we didnt give him a good time on a number of occasions

SRFCbrothelutd
22/01/2008, 5:27 PM
Derry only conceded 31 goals last season as opposed to our 45. Derry would have finished way above us but there problem was scoring goals. Jennings had alot of clean sheets if memory serves me correctly. Good shot stopper but poor kicker. I think there is only a toss of a coin between him and brush. Good competition for eachother which can only improve the team. Would be a good signing imo and let them battle it out for the number 1 spot!!!

Rovers1
22/01/2008, 5:34 PM
well why not look for a better keeper than Brush and Jennings? Jennings is dodgy and no better than our Dick.

DocRovers
22/01/2008, 6:51 PM
Signing Jenningsis a step in the wrong direction he is not a move forward. He is being let go by Derry for a reason he is hopeless & it augers badly for the Cookie monster if he cannot source a better keeper.

90minutes
22/01/2008, 6:54 PM
brush is one of the best shot-stoppers around without a doubt.
however his kicking and distribution is poor especially with ball in hand.
with a goalkeeping coach, he could be brillant.
i know john o hara had a private coach

Boo_Boy
22/01/2008, 7:14 PM
i dont know why people are being critical of brush,he was very good last season after stepping up when o'hara left.

he is an excellent shot stopper,his only major fault i think is his positioning,you dont really notice it when you are at the match,but looking at the highlights you can see he makes bad decisions when the opposition is attacking,he comes out of his goal when he shouldnt and that costs us goals.

that being said he will have no problem holding down his position if jennings signs,like it has been said,theirs no need for a full time sub keeper.

Shedzer
22/01/2008, 7:53 PM
I dont rate Jennings very highly and i would assume his wages would be fairly high compared to a part time Keeper we should be trying to strengthen in positions were we are going to struggle imo thats the centre of the park. Although we only have one keeper we really need to strengthen the spine of the team.

feo123
22/01/2008, 7:54 PM
we would have dropped alot more points if brush wasnt there last season aswell though. id be happy with him as our number 1 this season, imo jennings would be fine as back up only

Shedzer
22/01/2008, 8:09 PM
Jennings would be good back up but is worth paying a player a considerable amouth of money week in week out to sit on the bench week in week out.

feo123
22/01/2008, 8:58 PM
a plus side though of having a full time 2nd choice keeper is that the first choice one would have a goalkeeper to train with, cant see us appointing a full time goalkeeping coach like......

Red&White Rover
23/01/2008, 8:55 AM
Keeps Brushy on his toes, good back up.

Redie
23/01/2008, 8:58 AM
The PFAI have issued a list of unattached players looking for a club and Steve Williams is on it. Would have thought he would be an ideal second choice keeper

gustavo
23/01/2008, 9:15 AM
I think Williams has joined Sporting Fingal

red arrow
23/01/2008, 9:03 PM
the deal is if we sign jennings we will also get his dad to help in the coaching end of things from time to time.

Only1Rovers
23/01/2008, 10:25 PM
he makes bad decisions when the opposition is attacking,

Not a great time to be making bad decisions if your a keeper.....:cool:

Rovers1
24/01/2008, 7:31 PM
According to Cook himself, Rovers will only sign him on loan and let Derry pay his wages

DocRovers
24/01/2008, 8:17 PM
Even if on loan, it is a bad move - Cookie has said quality not quantity is what he wants in squad

SRFCbrothelutd
24/01/2008, 9:22 PM
Jennings has signed on loan for 1 season. He starts preseason training 2morrow...

deecay
24/01/2008, 9:48 PM
That confirmed?

SligoBrewer
24/01/2008, 11:15 PM
Not a bad signing imo.

On loan, and if we're not paying him anything why not?

Better back up than Arcaba

avvenalaf
24/01/2008, 11:45 PM
Brewer, I fear your understanding of the loan system is slightly flawed.

Boo_Boy
24/01/2008, 11:56 PM

lol:D:D

SligoBrewer
25/01/2008, 12:10 AM

According to Cook himself, Rovers will only sign him on loan and let Derry pay his wages

:rolleyes:

avvenalaf
25/01/2008, 1:48 AM
Brewer, Can I rephrase my earlier remark to now read as...

Brewer, I fear your and Cookie's understanding of the loan system is slightly flawed.

DocRovers
25/01/2008, 12:16 PM
If he is in on loan, we will pay some or all of his wages. The guy is NOT good enough & obviously Cookie has nobody else to turn to - Dean Delaney, Steve Williams could have been approached. Stephen Kenny obviously made a new goalkeeper a priority as he knows the lad well - very worrying! Where are all these English contacts that Cookie has? Money too tight to spend on lads who are clearly not up to it. Very disappointing news.

clubman
25/01/2008, 3:17 PM
If he is in on loan, we will pay some or all of his wages. The guy is NOT good enough & obviously Cookie has nobody else to turn to - Dean Delaney, Steve Williams could have been approached. Stephen Kenny obviously made a new goalkeeper a priority as he knows the lad well - very worrying! Where are all these English contacts that Cookie has? Money too tight to spend on lads who are clearly not up to it. Very disappointing news.

Well Doc what would you do under the circumstances?
We need backup for Brushie and just maybe you answered this yourself ... money is very tight. Would you presfer to bring in a quality keeper and leave him sit on the bench for as long as Brushie goes injury free?
It's Cookie's wish to have a squad of 18. That won't be possible if he decides to us the money stupidly.

Jennings is a decent keeper, give the lad a break.

Derry are a far bigger club than us and they can afford to bring in players of a higher quality than we can and that's the bottom line.

DocRovers
25/01/2008, 3:52 PM
If the lad is not better than what we have I would not sign him. We should be looking for someone better than Brushie. We could have sourced a local/youth goalie if he is purely there as back up & invested the money in someone who would play. Who is backup keeper in Derry now, why did'nt they give Jennings the job? Besides the excuse that we are a smaller club can be trotted out all the time when we sell our decent players but if we also use it to justify signings those that are surplus elsewhere, we will be in serious trouble.

Knappagh Red
25/01/2008, 3:58 PM
Who is this local/youth goalie who can play Premier Division football if Brush gets injured?

dcfc_1928
25/01/2008, 4:32 PM
We (Derry) have just signed two keepers, so I'd say Jennings is out one way or the other:

http://www.derrycityfc.net/season/07/news/displaystory.php?storyid=239
http://www.derrycityfc.net/season/07/news/displaystory.php?storyid=242

feo123
25/01/2008, 5:07 PM
If the lad is not better than what we have I would not sign him. We should be looking for someone better than Brushie. We could have sourced a local/youth goalie if he is purely there as back up & invested the money in someone who would play. Who is backup keeper in Derry now, why did'nt they give Jennings the job? Besides the excuse that we are a smaller club can be trotted out all the time when we sell our decent players but if we also use it to justify signings those that are surplus elsewhere, we will be in serious trouble.

you obviously dont realise the sheer gulf in quality from the sligo leitrim league and the eircom league :rolleyes:

DocRovers
25/01/2008, 5:34 PM
I am saying he is not rated good enough for number 2 at Derry. So for the money we would pay, I think we are better served getting in someone from across the water or Delaney or Williams. If we can't then give someone local a chance or sign a lad part time. I would be surprised if he does get signed by us, but then again sure we are only a small club....

clubman
25/01/2008, 6:15 PM
I am saying he is not rated good enough for number 2 at Derry. So for the money we would pay, I think we are better served getting in someone from across the water or Delaney or Williams. If we can't then give someone local a chance or sign a lad part time. I would be surprised if he does get signed by us, but then again sure we are only a small club....

Ahhhh what's up Doc :)

I don't think anyone on this board other than yourself said we are a small club. Unfortunately there are others, Derry included, that are bigger and in a better position to attract better quality players. Me thinks you are not happy with Brushie and you want a direct replacement rather that just backup. Am I right ;)

red arrow
25/01/2008, 6:37 PM
i suppose if we have him on loan its not to bad of a signing and at least he is backup. also its possible that cookie can improve him. i saw him a few times on the telly last year and he did some good things and some stupid things but we must give him a chance. the season is nearly upon us so i think cookie had to make a decision. if some of us are a bit dissapointed by the goalie i for one am very excited about what cookie has brought in so far. i think we will have a very good defence and strong midfield. next step is a few more quality players and please god a "striker". i am hearing on the grapevine that there are a few more players arriving shortly. its a tough start to the season but at least pats wont know a good few of our players and this could be a big help. if we could get a result there the next two games are at home and against quality oposition its exciting times ahead and should bring out good support. so lets get behind the club now and give them as much financial support as possible.

90minutes
25/01/2008, 7:16 PM
i couldnt see derry paying any wages unless there is a clause in the deal that jennings must play.
glad 2 see him sign though
might bring a few extra punters through the gates

Boo_Boy
25/01/2008, 7:24 PM
i couldnt see derry paying any wages unless there is a clause in the deal that jennings must play.
glad 2 see him sign though
might bring a few extra punters through the gates

:confused: we have signed Pat Jennings Jnr,not Pat Jennings OBE:p

feo123
25/01/2008, 8:09 PM
:confused: we have signed Pat Jennings Jnr,not Pat Jennings OBE:p

no, its pat senior, we're entering an over 60 team this year in the first division

gufct
01/02/2008, 11:47 AM
In the Sun this morning that Drogheda are after him because of Dan Connors Injury.

srfc1928
01/02/2008, 4:58 PM
In the Sun this morning that Drogheda are after him because of Dan Connors Injury.
AFAIK That story was in the Daily Mirror not The Sun. looks like lazy journilism to me. it says dan connor is injured etc. in the last line it says jennings has been released by derry an "could be a target"

first post on foot.ie so hello to all

deecay
01/02/2008, 5:29 PM
first post on foot.ie so hello to all
Hello im deecay,you might remember me from such films as Brokeback Mountain and Jaws

srfc1928
01/02/2008, 6:28 PM
Hello im deecay,you might remember me from such films as Brokeback Mountain and Jaws
nice to meet you .............. i think

avvenalaf
01/02/2008, 11:29 PM

We know what you played in Brokeback Mountain but Jaws?

forza rovers
09/02/2008, 7:28 PM
jennings played well he did not have much to do he will also bring healthy compition for brush

feo123
09/02/2008, 9:24 PM
jennings played well he dindt have much to do he will also bring healthy compition for brush

he had nothing to do but will be good to have some competition now for brushy, with no disrespect to arcaba he is better than him so again its an improvment