PDA

View Full Version : Kilkenny City may be back!!

joema
21/01/2008, 5:40 PM
Maybe we haven't heard the end of Kilkenny City! RTE radio 1 reporting that an Irish-American business man is looking to take over the club. Wants to hold talks with the FAI. Fantastic news if true. We need Kilkenny City in this league, especially n place of another Dublin Club.

I think we all agree on here that Kilkenny City don't deserve not to be playing senior football. Hopefully there is some truth in these reports. Fantastic news IMO. :) :ball: :ball:

DmanDmythDledge
21/01/2008, 5:44 PM
Don't mean to burst your bubble but I think that could have been about Limerick...

joema
21/01/2008, 5:51 PM
Don't mean to burst your bubble but I think that could have been about Limerick...

Serious? I was just told off a friend who said he heard this on the news

The Man Himself
21/01/2008, 6:12 PM
its waterford united.
watch this space.

pixiehead
21/01/2008, 6:48 PM

Ya its Limerick man. Just on the news. Kill your friend:(

Terry
21/01/2008, 6:49 PM
Well who ever it is, lets hope its true.

Buile Shuibhne
21/01/2008, 7:16 PM
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2784

joema
21/01/2008, 8:00 PM
Gutted

chopper harris
21/01/2008, 8:02 PM
Jaysus Fair play to him. Really hopes it works out because a city the size of Limerick should be able to sustain a fulltime team in this AIL project, never mind a first division team strugging to get gates. galway being a model, perhaps, but I wouldn't employ all of the tactics of their commercial director. Thats for another day/place.

I'm new to this board but the amount of LOI interest coming from people with obvious connections to Limerick has been very surprising. i remember watching Armstrong and others at St Mels during the late 80s. Best o' luck

Buller
21/01/2008, 9:09 PM
Gutted

I take it you support Kilkenny?! I'd disown your friend...

It's still very good news though. Any idea of the kind of finances that this "businessman" have? (And would be willing to spend...)

Lim till i die
21/01/2008, 9:13 PM
It's still very good news though. Any idea of the kind of finances that this "businessman" have? (And would be willing to spend...)

Our American guy I take it??

Basically he's looking at sorting out a payment plan on our debts, appointing us a CEO and once we've proved we can run ourselves even remotely like a normal company for a year, he'll loosens the purse strings a bit.

Battery Rover
21/01/2008, 9:17 PM

I couldn't make it to the press conference to here the laatest but reading the piece in the Limerick Leader I don't think he is planning to pump millions into them. It seems he could be in it for other reason as there seems to be if and buts.

Here is the piece posted on the Limerick forum

http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=858664&postcount=26

Lim till i die
21/01/2008, 9:30 PM
It seems he could be in it for other reason as there seems to be if and buts.

I don't care if he's in it to smuggle weapons to the Contras tbh.

He has dug us out of an immediate and pretty deep hole. Job Done.

Bluebeard
21/01/2008, 9:37 PM
Gutted for you Joema - delighted for Lims, don't get me wrong, but gutted for you. You friend should be forced to find a major backer for the Cats by Thursday to make up for it.

Battery Rover
21/01/2008, 9:41 PM
I don't care if he's in it to smuggle weapons to the Contras tbh.

He has dug us out of an immediate and pretty deep hole. Job Done.

Agree totally LTID. It is good that senior soccer survived down here now all we need is for it to spread to the Midlands

The Man Himself
21/01/2008, 10:02 PM
hes in for some shock when he discovers limerick have only 30 fans.

sligoman
21/01/2008, 10:35 PM
hes in for some shock when he discovers limerick have only 30 fans.and that Waterford people can't count:).

gael353
21/01/2008, 11:03 PM

thats two stupid comments in one thread from you, give yourself a clap on the back!

4tothefloor
21/01/2008, 11:31 PM
That's why we've 150 plus in our Supporters Club alone. Good man yourself :rolleyes:

For those of us that attended the FAI EL Fans forum in Abbotstown last Saturday, both Noel Mooney and Fran Gavin said that we should expect a 'number' of investors coming in to different clubs in the not too distant future. They're obviously strategically targeting investors and then introducing those investors to various clubs that need investment. The FAI, including John Delaney, are doing huge work on the EL behind the scenes and this has to be commended. So I wouldn't be surprised to see an investor pop up at Waterford Utd or one got for Kilkenny City in the near future either :ball:

L37Ultra
22/01/2008, 12:33 AM

Mortified for you :o

Claret Murph
22/01/2008, 6:31 AM
I hope this is ture as I would very much hate to lose any more clubs from the league . I feel real sorry for the cats and then to lose Lim & Athlone would be a killer as we really don't need any more Dublin clubs in the league at the moment .....

CJTheGull
22/01/2008, 8:46 AM
I hope this is ture as I would very much hate to lose any more clubs from the league . I feel real sorry for the cats and then to lose Lim & Athlone would be a killer as we really don't need any more Dublin clubs in the league at the moment .....

Yeah I agree - this Fingal team is a joke - what in God's name will make them any different to Dublin City F.C. who even me Ma knew would not survive beyond a few seasons - it's not as if Bohs, Rovers, Pat's, Shels etc are packing out their repective stadia every weekend so another Dublin team thrown into the mix is laughable.

It's time to start supporting the regional teams dotted around the league - fair play to Limerick and good luck to the rest. :ball:

MyTown
22/01/2008, 8:57 AM
This morning's papers say that Limerick37 approached the FAI about their financial difficulties and that the FAI put them in touch with their new benefactor.

I know FAI bashing is all but obligatory here, but they deserve great credit if they've been instrumental in the rescue of Limerick37 IMO.

Battery Rover
22/01/2008, 9:20 AM
Audio clip of fran gavin and Jim Rhatigan discussing the demise of Kilkenny City and what lies ahead for Sporting Fingal

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rams/2008/0120kilkennycity.smil

Block G Raptor
22/01/2008, 9:21 AM
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2784

Feckin' great news. Really hope it's the start of a trend. sad thought that it takes a yank to throw a few bob into an eL club while the Irish business community always look towards the UK

L37Ultra
22/01/2008, 11:43 AM
Lads, heres a link to an article in the local newspaper in Limerick if anybody is interested. Its a great read (well for Limerick supporters anyways ;)) Good times ahead I hope :) http://www.limerickleader.ie/3420/McCarthy-39I39m-proud-and-delighted.3697064.jp

Lim till i die
22/01/2008, 11:45 AM
I know FAI bashing is all but obligatory here, but they deserve great credit if they've been instrumental in the rescue of Limerick37 IMO.

I..........agree........with...............you :eek: :eek: :)

KevB76
22/01/2008, 12:54 PM
This morning's papers say that Limerick37 approached the FAI about their financial difficulties and that the FAI put them in touch with their new benefactor.

I've a new found respect for the FAI and John Delaney.
if they weren't involved, the latest debts could have been the end of senior soccer in Limerick.

amjl
22/01/2008, 1:10 PM
Does it seem to anyone else that Delaney is going out of his way to save Limerick. It wouldn't look good for the FAI to nearly loose a senior team in limerick (3rd biggest city in the country) two years running, specially at the start of their tenure of running the league.

You could say I'm bitter & twisted and maybe I am, but could you blame me?

http://www.limerickleader.ie/3420/McCarthy-39I39m-proud-and-delighted.3697064.jp

FAI CEO John Delaney introduced Jack McCarthy to the possibility of getting financially involved with Limerick 37 and explained the circumstances behind McCarthy's emergence as a potential investor.
"I have known Jack for the past 18 months or so and when he asked me about investing in a club in Ireland I gave him a couple of options! .

Delaney could have possibly touted Kilkenny to the Amercian for saving as one of the options. But as Fran Gavin's & Kilkenny's officail statement make if clear that it was the club's decsion to withdraw from the league.

I absolutely gutted City are gone but well done to Delaney?/Limerick for surviving and that its only 1 club gone this year.

Best of luck L37!

Bluebeard
22/01/2008, 1:11 PM
I..........agree........with...............you :eek: :eek: :)

Foot.ie doesn't do "Unexpected Post of the Month", but if it did...

Lim till i die
22/01/2008, 1:13 PM
Does it seem to anyone else that Delaney is going out of his way to save Limerick. It wouldn't look good for the FAI to nearly loose a senior team in limerick (3rd biggest city in the country) two years running, specially at the start of their tenure of running the league.

Most Definitely

Not being bad but if you could only save one club Limerick is the more obvious choice (poorly run though we consistently are)

The cynic in me thinks there's a lot more to it tbh but we're dug out of a hole for now so I'll worry about next year next year

amjl
22/01/2008, 1:33 PM
The Limerick Regeneration Agency hopes to transform the inner city 'into one of the most vibrant and most sustainable suburbs in the country' and is now prepared to unveil a number of initiatives which include the development of a stadium at Caledonian Park (Hyde Road) to cater for soccer

Sound familiar Rovers Fans!!

and on the north side of the city the agency also hopes to develop another 'mini stadium' which has been earmarked to house rugby and Gaelic Games.

If we learnt anything from the Shamrock Rovers/Thomas Davis debacle, Its important to keep the GAA (& Rugby in Limerick) happy at all costs.

BohsPartisan
22/01/2008, 1:34 PM
Most Definitely

Not being bad but if you could only save one club Limerick is the more obvious choice (poorly run though we consistently are)

The cynic in me thinks there's a lot more to it tbh but we're dug out of a hole for now so I'll worry about next year next year

If you only save one club this year...

Would like to see a Limerick side in the Premier division.

Rocky77
22/01/2008, 2:35 PM
Delaney could have possibly touted Kilkenny to the Amercian for saving as one of the options. But as Fran Gavin's & Kilkenny's officail statement make if clear that it was the club's decsion to withdraw from the league

Was it not true, as reported in one of the papers last Saturday

amjl
22/01/2008, 2:46 PM
Was it not true, as reported in one of the papers last Saturday
was what bit not true?

dcfcsteve
22/01/2008, 2:49 PM

Is he a taxi driver, by any chance......? :)

Rocky77
22/01/2008, 2:52 PM
was what bit not true?

Jaysus, I dunoo what happened there. Edited a spelling error and half the message disappeared!!!

Anyway, last Saturday's Daily Mail was reporting that an American investor — maybe the same one — had an offer to save the club turned down by Jim Rhatigan. I'll see if I can root out the story

dcfcsteve
22/01/2008, 3:00 PM

You could say I'm bitter & twisted and maybe I am, but could you blame me?

Three words explain Delaney and the FAI's new found energy for all things EL :

All-Ireland League.

Bit of a coincidence that the first time they get directly involved in helping troubled clubs is when there's someone in the background actively courting clubs to effectively replace the FAI. Uncanny timing.

Though I agree it would also look shocking for the FAI if a quarter of the First Division teams went belly-up in the first year of their watch.

Delaney could have possibly touted Kilkenny to the Amercian for saving as one of the options. But as Fran Gavin's & Kilkenny's officail statement make if clear that it was the club's decsion to withdraw from the league.

I absolutely gutted City are gone but well done to Delaney?/Limerick for surviving and that its only 1 club gone this year.

My question about this unexpected development is - how come Delaney appears to have had someone ready, willing and able to invest in Irish soccer sitting in his back pocket for so long ?? :eek:

Apparently he's been grooming this Yank for 18mths ! I can understand that Limerick has the potential to be a good 'investment' (better than a smaller area like Kilkenny anyway), but why didn't Delaney get this guy involved in a club before-hand ? Who are the other clubs he dangled in-front of him, that are now potentially going to lose investment to Limerick ? And most importantly - what would Delaney have done with this guy had Limerick not been in financial difficulties now ? Just let him continue stewing in his back pocket for another 18mths, by which time he might have lost interest in investing in Irish football, had a better offer for his money elsewhere etc ??

This is a good development for Limerick, but the timing vis-a-vis the Platinum One proposals make me deeply suspicious of Delaney's motives and credibility here....

amjl
22/01/2008, 3:25 PM
I can understand that Limerick has the potential to be a good 'investment' (better than a smaller area like Kilkenny anyway)

Plus, I'm sure the whole the Regeneration Project in Limerick played a massive part in convincing the American to invest in L37

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2784 (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2784)

"We are committed to the development of soccer at all levels in Limerick and will be playing an active role in the Regeneration Plan. We will have coaches working in the community and are working to develop football facilities in the city, including a new stadium that will eventually become a home for Limerick 37."

“Limerick needs a strong senior soccer club and while that won’t happen overnight, I am confident that in Jack McCarthy they have man who will leave no stone unturned to achieve that,” said Delaney. "

Wasn't this Regeneration Plan officailly launched recently???

Curious timing??

Buile Shuibhne
22/01/2008, 3:29 PM
The chairman of the Limerick Regeneration Agency, John Fitzgerald - Limerick native and former Dublin City Manager (the Corpo that is) - is also a member of the UEFA Licence IAG (Independent Assessment Group).

amjl
22/01/2008, 3:36 PM
The chairman of the Limerick Regeneration Agency, John Fitzgerald - Limerick native and former Dublin City Manager (the Corpo that is) - is also a member of the UEFA Licence IAG (Independent Assessment Group).

The plot thickens!!

Lim till i die
22/01/2008, 3:58 PM
The plot thickens!!

Not really...........

Apparently he's been grooming this Yank for 18mths ! I can understand that Limerick has the potential to be a good 'investment' (better than a smaller area like Kilkenny anyway), but why didn't Delaney get this guy involved in a club before-hand ? Who are the other clubs he dangled in-front of him, that are now potentially going to lose investment to Limerick ?

The Yank has anscestry in Bennettsbridge Co. Kilkenny and Killaloe Co. Clare which, if you know the area, is more or less Co. Limerick.

It wasn't a matter of him being kept in Delaneys pocket until he felt like using him.

At worst this boils down to an either or choice.

Frankly, I'm struggling to see how Limerick would be the wrong one.

Plus, I'm sure the whole the Regeneration Project in Limerick played a massive part in convincing the American to invest in L37

As am I.

Handy.